The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 05, 2024, 08:45:53 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
351094 Posts in 28640 Topics by 6846 Members
Latest Member: JamesBoyd
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  Did some one mention Sarge's paint ???
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Did some one mention Sarge's paint ???  (Read 7572 times)
Lee.C

I might be an Idiot but I'm not an Arsehole!

« on: January 10, 2008, 02:06:45 am »

I only just came across this picture from Sarge and I hope he doesn't mind (I'm sure he won't Wink) But all I can say is -

I take my hat off to you dude - That paint is truly FLAWLESS! Just look at it  Grin

Now I have something to aim for  Wink Smiley

You either "Get It" or you don't......

« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2008, 02:11:28 am »

Paint by Becker's Bug house Sarge ?
 Shocked
« Last Edit: January 10, 2008, 02:14:27 am by Richard Roth » Logged
Jim Ratto

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2008, 03:28:24 am »

Sarge's paint makes me jealous Angry

Carlos "The Matador" has a nice job on his red '67 too....
roland

lates are the new splits...

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2008, 14:38:33 pm »

Now that's clean! something to aim for indeed...

Glitter don't make you faster.
Donny B.

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2008, 16:04:31 pm »

So who painted Sarge's car and what does a paint job like that cost today?  I need to redo the paint and interior on my car.  Just wondering...

Don Bulitta
Wolfsburg Registry
louisb

Runs with Scissors

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2008, 16:08:55 pm »

So who painted Sarge's car and what does a paint job like that cost today?  I need to redo the paint and interior on my car.  Just wondering...

I was looking into it for my car and it was around $1,800 for materials and $2000 - $3000 for labor for a basic but quality job. I am cheap though so I think I will try to do it on my own. Pat Ganhai has a good book on how to paint cars that is very step by step. Covers everything from stripping to final buff out. Another option would be to do all the prep work yourself and pay someone else for the final coat.

--louis

Louis Brooks

The Beatings Will Continue Until Moral Improves!
Diederick/DVK

They're never done till they're sold

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2008, 16:11:46 pm »

wow that's expensive.
but louis i've often heard that not the painting but the prepping is the tricky and essential part of it all!!  Roll Eyes

Diederick
 -
Proud member of:
DVK ~ Der Vollgas Kreuzers
louisb

Runs with Scissors

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2008, 16:15:55 pm »

wow that's expensive.
but louis i've often heard that not the painting but the prepping is the tricky and essential part of it all!!  Roll Eyes

Actually for a custom, ie not factory enamel respray, that is cheap. Some of the paint jobs they put on concourse, read Pebble Beach, can hit close to six figures. You get what you pay for. But yeah your prep is the most expensive item and then the paint itself. Red or black are the most exspensive colors to paint a car too. (Red due to pigment and black due to prep work.) What I am going to do it try it on that NOS decklid and see if I can get results I will be happy with. If it out and out sucks, then I will take it to someone else.

--louis

Louis Brooks

The Beatings Will Continue Until Moral Improves!
bathing ape

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2008, 16:23:39 pm »

something to aim for,still in willow green i hope monkiboy!
Sarge

« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2008, 17:20:32 pm »

Thanx for the compliments, guys!  In my "youth", I never had the cash for paint or interior...every dime was spent on going a little faster.  In the late 80's I took a job at Scott's Porsche which was right next door to Becker's Bug House.  Becker's was the benchmark for paint and bodywork in the old days and can be credited with being one of the first to shave the chrome off a bug (Greg Aronson's car).  So, after getting to know Leonard (dad) and Jimmy (son), a Becker's paint job became a priority.  Leonard was a big advocate of bright, solid colors and coaxed my wife and I into painting the car red.  The job was done in 1989...I can still remember driving it home in the bright afternoon sun and feeling like the whole car was plugged into a light socket, the red playing off the dotted yellow lines on the highway.  The paint is two stage...red with a clear coat and has held up pretty damn well over the years.  I'm thinking $2500 was the deal.  After 100,000 miles, in 2003 I had Jim East & Son re-do the clear coat on the front end, remove some "cancer" from the driver's door and repair a crack in the left rear fender.  Sorry to ramble on...thanks again!

DKP III
deano

« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2008, 17:30:18 pm »

I was looking into it for my car and it was around $1,800 for materials and $2000 - $3000 for labor for a basic but quality job. I am cheap though so I think I will try to do it on my own. Pat Ganhai has a good book on how to paint cars that is very step by step. Covers everything from stripping to final buff out. Another option would be to do all the prep work yourself and pay someone else for the final coat.
--louis

For example....
Buddy Hale or Matt Howard paint jobs usually start at $10k, and usually go out the door for, depending on rust repair and body work for 17-24k....

Hot VWs Magazine Window Washer
Anglia Obsolete Guru
'67 Heaven
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2008, 17:35:43 pm »

Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

http://speedwell55.skynetblogs.be/
oldspeed 61 standard empi/speedwell
BeetleBug

Snabba grabben...

« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2008, 17:39:47 pm »

Is $ 10k a lot for a killer paint? 

10.41 - 100ci - 1641ccm - 400hp
Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2008, 17:49:29 pm »

I wanna know what Danny Gabbard charges. Whatever it is, its worth every penny.

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
Carlos De Alba

« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2008, 18:22:38 pm »

Carlos "The Matador" has a nice job on his red '67 too....

Sarge's paint it's amazing.......... Shocked

Thanks Ratto

"The Matador"   Grin

Der Kleiner Panzers
Lee.C

I might be an Idiot but I'm not an Arsehole!

« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2008, 22:30:38 pm »

something to aim for,still in willow green i hope monkiboy!

Dam Right dude - Willow Green it is  Smiley

You either "Get It" or you don't......
lowfastbus

WUNDERWAFFE

« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2008, 22:57:12 pm »

If I hear all these figures on paint I'm soooo happy with my 250€ paintjob  Grin....

http://dragvws.skynetblogs.be
WUNDERWAFFE
The Knuckle Buster
alfie the monster

« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2008, 12:30:23 pm »

--louis

For example....
Buddy Hale or Matt Howard paint jobs usually start at $10k, and usually go out the door for, depending on rust repair and body work for 17-24k....

For $ change that to £ for a top job in the UK. You do get what you pay for mind  Wink

JG54 Grunherz
Sander/DVK

« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2008, 18:42:18 pm »

Only Red cars shine like that. Sounds weird, but its treu  Wink

Der Vollgas Kreuzers
streetvw

« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2008, 21:19:30 pm »

Only Red cars shine like that. Sounds weird, but its treu  Wink

I'd have to disagree with you on that IMHO nothing shines better than straight black, when done right can be a mile deep Grin

speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2008, 21:30:04 pm »

greg's car rocks Shocked Shocked............. Cool

http://speedwell55.skynetblogs.be/
oldspeed 61 standard empi/speedwell
48IDA66

« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2008, 21:48:22 pm »

Black looks nice!!!! Wink
streetvw

« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2008, 22:18:37 pm »

BTW I am biased towards Black both of my bug have been black one was real shiney the other wasn't Wink
ballbag

« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2008, 22:20:59 pm »

I love red, after seeing that shine maybe i should consider doing mine, instead of anthracite.

Although my friend who is painting it promises it will be the shiniest car i've ever owned  Wink

something funny!
Rick Meredith
DKK

We can't force ya to have fun

« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2008, 08:11:10 am »

Black looks nice!!!! Wink

Black is a wonderful color... for someone else's car.  Wink

67 Beetle - The Deuce Roadster of Cal Look
Russell

« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2008, 11:37:33 am »

At the monment im paying around 5K for the paint job on my square back, however was quoted last year £12.5k to paint a split van, guess what it never happened.......

One point to note on cars painted in the states, they look great and am sure they last well over there, but in europe they all seem to blister, Im not sure if there in somethning in the paint that they use which disagrees wioth our enviorment......

Saying all this Ive had no paint blisters of anykind on the two Buddy Hale painted cars i have and they trurly have a 1st class job, Randy Gates 51 and Rich Reverria's 50.

Best Regards

Russell
Casey

« Reply #26 on: January 14, 2008, 17:16:21 pm »

Hey there, thought I could give a little info too! I started doing my own paint work when I was 17. Brakes when out on my 62' bug and we hit the back of a Cadi and the corner of a wall. Coming home from surfing, my buddy was sleeping in the back, when we hit he flew up into the front seat area! No one hurt, and we laughed out ass off. I was poor and had no money to fix it. That’s when I stared paint work. I've done it wrong for many years, still learning. Seems like there’s always a little somethin' somethin' that will show up in the paint.
Aaannnnyyy way, I probably have around $3,500 just in materials to spray my 62' in and out, up side down, all nooks and crannies.  Its all 2 stage, and we're talking many gallons of etch primer, sanding primer, base and clear! Then you have all your other colors you use on the car too. Not to mention the tapes and papers! I charge myself a shit load of labor too! Don’t even try to add that up! Hundreds of hours. Lots of metal work.
So when I here or see someone paid 10K or even 17K+, I say well worth it. The paint work these high dollar guys do these days is impeccable! Hopefully a few more of these deals and I might be close.(dreamin") Undecided Grin.
I do agree with the black car comment. Absolutely nothing can compare to a straight pitch black paint job. The down side, very high maintenance if you want it perfect all the time. I've sprayed a many of black things.  I saw Dyno Don rubbin' on the Niendorf "Rollin Black Out" at the Classic, I would want to be the guy to touch that thing!! Later, Vish.

P.S. Behind every painter, there's a better buffer!!

DKP III
streetvw

« Reply #27 on: January 14, 2008, 20:21:41 pm »

heres a shot of my first black car a little more custom than cal but you get the idea about my love of black paint  Cool

paint was done by my late uncle Cry  best damn painter around these parts by miles and back thenin 91 it cost me £1800 without any labour charges just material and the use of the spray booth
Frank LUX

Back...Soon...hopefully!!!

« Reply #28 on: January 14, 2008, 20:24:55 pm »

Black Cars Rule... Grin Grin Grin

My New Paint Job is under 1.000€ but then again I only paid for the Materials... Tongue

Frank

1960 Ragtop, 2332cc, 48 IDA's, Joe Hunt Magneto, someday it will be back...
1953 Split Window, 1799cc, 48 IDA's, Don Zig Magneto,  OG BRM's...in da works...
SumFun Racecar, 2332cc, 48 IDA's, Magneto
Fritter

« Reply #29 on: January 16, 2008, 06:51:22 am »

For example....

Just can't beat those Buddy Hale paint jobs.....my '65.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2008, 06:54:00 am by Mike Fritz » Logged

Mike F.
'64 Indigo Blue sunroof Bug
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: