The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 05, 2024, 08:42:55 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
351094 Posts in 28640 Topics by 6846 Members
Latest Member: JamesBoyd
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  I need Berg expert help....
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: I need Berg expert help....  (Read 9096 times)
xavier

« Reply #30 on: April 02, 2013, 17:23:23 pm »

My early Berg linkage has rounded edges vs the sharp ones I am used to see. Like the one above.
Has anybody ever seen one like mine with rounded edges? Is it original or was it modified by a previous owner?
I remember a comment from Mr Gabbard about this modification.
Thank you
Xavier
HERB

« Reply #31 on: April 02, 2013, 17:32:41 pm »

I purchased my Berg linkage in 1983. It has the "square edge" arms, not rounded like those in the photo, and no nuts or any typre of stops welded on the ends of the cross bar.
hotrodsurplus

It's not how fast you go; it's how you go fast.

« Reply #32 on: April 05, 2013, 02:52:44 am »

It is not galvanized.  It is nickel plate and that's the way it looks.  I plan on getting one of my done in  black chrome.  Someday....

This likely doesn't benefit the original poster but the finish on that one (and the finish on the one I own and most of the others I've seen) is not nickel. It's a standard zinc plate. And the gold tone is a yellow chromate conversion, not Iridite (Iridite is an aluminum conversion coating). That's the same basic plating/conversion process that most fastener manufacturers use. You can easily strip any zinc plating by washing the part in phosphoric acid (the primary ingredient in many wheel cleaners).

Now that's not to say that Berg never nickel plated its linkage; for all I know it could've gold plated them at one point. But I do know that nickel doesn't accept a chromate conversion. To the best of my knowledge the only color nickel can be processed into is black.

The reason Berg used (still uses?) zinc/yellow chromate is the reason I love it: it protects well when done right and it's SUPER CHEAP. When I lived behind the Orange Curtain I used to take all of my stuff to Cadillac Plating. I bet Berg did, too (it's on Struck Ave, a mile south as the crow flies from Berg's). They'd do TWO 24x24x24 boxes full of perfectly clean, freshly blasted box of steel parts for the $50 minimum (this was 10 years ago so it may cost more now). Every bracket and every part that would get chipped if painted gets zinc. I got straight silver, yellow, and blue chromate conversions done there. The company did mostly computer frames at the time but whenever I went there I saw boxes full of car and motorcycle parts.

Chris Shelton. Professional liar.
Cheesepanzer

« Reply #33 on: April 06, 2013, 17:12:56 pm »

What era is this linkage? 1980's or 1990's?
Identical to mine that I bought in 1983 except the ends are rounded - mine are squared off.  Exact same center section and aluminum arm with the berg name in the casting.

62 Beetle (street/strip build)
63 Type 2 Single Cab
Cornpanzers
TexasTom

12.58@106, 7.89@89 Texas Motorplex 10/18/09

« Reply #34 on: April 07, 2013, 21:58:49 pm »

I have a gold linkage similar to that as well ... it has squared linkage ends and only one stop screw. Also has gold linkage arms, for DCNFs I believe.
I'd say the gold ones are likely from the early to mid '80s ...
TxT

Work, work, WORK!

Modesty accepted here ...
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: