The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 03, 2024, 16:21:01 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350874 Posts in 28608 Topics by 6828 Members
Latest Member: GSW Racing
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Tyre kicking
| |-+  Off Topic
| | |-+  Keep your eyes peeled
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Keep your eyes peeled  (Read 4650 times)
lawrence

« on: January 28, 2008, 01:14:08 am »

I went on a bike ride today and I passed through a neighborhood that I do not live in. As I passed a house that had the garage open I noticed a covered 356 porsche, which probably had not moved in quite some time. The most interesting part was the large flange, empi style glass pack with flared tip peeking out underneath the apron. I wonder what was in that engine bay and what other interesting parts the car might have had. I should have stopped to ask about the car. Oh well, next time...

Seen any hidden or interesting stuff lately??

"Happiness is a Hot VW!"
Rick Meredith
DKK

We can't force ya to have fun

« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2008, 20:50:16 pm »

Schwimmer has some interesting stories... perhaps he'll share.

67 Beetle - The Deuce Roadster of Cal Look
Rick Meredith
DKK

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2008, 20:59:22 pm »

Here's one... Down this one residential street there was a house that had an original unrestored '34 Ford 3-Window Coupe parked in the garage. It was buried in boxes and junk but every so often, I'd drive by and I'd see the garage open and there it was... then one day the garage was cleaned out and it was gone.  Embarrassed

team97
DKK

3M TA3

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2008, 23:14:45 pm »

I went on a bike ride today and I passed through a neighborhood that I do not live in. As I passed a house that had the garage open I noticed a covered 356 porsche, which probably had not moved in quite some time. The most interesting part was the large flange, empi style glass pack with flared tip peeking out underneath the apron. I wonder what was in that engine bay and what other interesting parts the car might have had. I should have stopped to ask about the car. Oh well, next time...

Rick, that sounds exactly like Bills story. Also about 2 block from my house there is a 68 beetle Sahara/savanah??? beige with blk / chrome sprint stars, GTV badges,  and a couple of other goodies. I've seen it outside once, knocked at the door but nobody answered. I think I'll have to stop by again.

Glenn

Der Kleiner Panzers III
D.K.K.
Jim Ratto

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2008, 00:08:47 am »

I remember an Empi Imp or something under a tarp in Lakeport one moonlit night.
Rick Meredith
DKK

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2008, 00:25:23 am »

Rick, that sounds exactly like Bills story. Also about 2 block from my house there is a 68 beetle Sahara/savanah??? beige with blk / chrome sprint stars, GTV badges,  and a couple of other goodies. I've seen it outside once, knocked at the door but nobody answered. I think I'll have to stop by again.

Glenn

You know where this one was. On SE Skyline a couple of houses down from where it crosses Red Hill.

louisb

Runs with Scissors

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2008, 01:41:08 am »

This is actually one of my favorite things to do when out driving. My favorite was being lost some where in the North Carolina mountains and running across a Boss 429 in someone's shed. It is probably still there and I have no idea where we were at the time.

--louis

Louis Brooks

The Beatings Will Continue Until Moral Improves!
Jim Ratto

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2008, 01:51:59 am »

Sheep and I used to go scouting in the weirdest corners of California for VW stuff.... this was before the internet drove the prices up on everybody's junk. We found some old dealer or repair place way out in the sticks, SW of Fresno, near Lemoore or Huron or somewhere... ovals lined up as far as the eye could see. Another guy we frequented was this guy Coddington up in Lakeport, CA. He was really quite scary. Upon entering his property, you went through a big gate, and above was his name carved in wood, but some of the letters were backwards. I think he was a satanist or something. Anyway he had sheds full of early gas tanks, NOS, early steering wheels, 36hp stuff, Empi crap. The guy even looked like the devil, little pointy ears, bald, goatee....
danny gabbard

gabfab

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2008, 03:20:42 am »

the guy still there,very interesting

A poor craftsman, Blame's it on poor tools.  GAB-FAB shop # 775 246-3069
stealth67vw

« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2008, 06:39:47 am »

Sheep and I used to go scouting in the weirdest corners of California for VW stuff.... this was before the internet drove the prices up on everybody's junk. We found some old dealer or repair place way out in the sticks, SW of Fresno, near Lemoore or Huron or somewhere... ovals lined up as far as the eye could see. Another guy we frequented was this guy Coddington up in Lakeport, CA. He was really quite scary. Upon entering his property, you went through a big gate, and above was his name carved in wood, but some of the letters were backwards. I think he was a satanist or something. Anyway he had sheds full of early gas tanks, NOS, early steering wheels, 36hp stuff, Empi crap. The guy even looked like the devil, little pointy ears, bald, goatee....

Remember the tweeker who had the complete EMPI Imp at TW Engineering. EMPI everything.

John Bates
JB Machining Services
1967 street bug 2020lbs w/driver
12.34 @ 108 mph 1/4
7.76 @ 89mph 1/8
Glauco

« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2008, 12:26:54 pm »

In my free time I 'work' in a yought café, and right next door there is a guy with a pretty large backyard, and if you look true our windows you can see his backyard, not kidding you, there is a bugcase, not sure what age, no 'ears' behind the sidewindows but tanklid is outside, he has 5 jaguars under the tree's, somewhere between 10 and 20 rims up on the roof and lot's of other vw stuff in the back, at one time there were 2 T1 and a few T2's, he had had a buggy or 5 for as far as I can remember, ow yeah, and he has a buggy that he uses to put plants in, I should make some photo's of it, quite a fascinating sight  Grin
Neil Davies

« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2008, 11:19:43 am »

This is actually one of my favorite things to do when out driving. My favorite was being lost some where in the North Carolina mountains and running across a Boss 429 in someone's shed. It is probably still there and I have no idea where we were at the time.

--louis

That's frustrating! A mate of mine got horribly lost around Birmingham (West Midlands, UK!) and found a '65 911 on someones front garden. As he was late for his appointment he dedided to go back to have another look later that day - he couldn't even find the street, let alone the car! Cheesy

2007cc, 48IDFs, street car. 14.45@93 on pump fuel, treads, muffler and fanbelt. October 2017!
Jim Ratto

« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2008, 21:47:39 pm »

Remember the tweeker who had the complete EMPI Imp at TW Engineering. EMPI everything.

no I don't seem to remember that car.

Did you ever go with us to Bethel Island to snoop around that guy's stash? Actually that was before Aufklarung....it was 1991 or so.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: