The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 05, 2024, 07:39:22 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
351094 Posts in 28640 Topics by 6846 Members
Latest Member: JamesBoyd
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  You don't see many cars being built w/ 8-spokes anymore
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: You don't see many cars being built w/ 8-spokes anymore  (Read 14716 times)
Rick Meredith
DKK

We can't force ya to have fun

« Reply #30 on: February 01, 2008, 19:51:47 pm »

I know at least one car that's being built (slowly) with 8 spokes   Cool

me too  Grin

they went to a good owner

Check's in the mail!  Grin Grin

67 Beetle - The Deuce Roadster of Cal Look
danny gabbard

gabfab

« Reply #31 on: February 01, 2008, 19:53:16 pm »

somebody say orange

A poor craftsman, Blame's it on poor tools.  GAB-FAB shop # 775 246-3069
Rick Meredith
DKK

We can't force ya to have fun

« Reply #32 on: February 01, 2008, 19:58:24 pm »

why do repop 8 spokes suck so badly?

To me the original spokes like tiger claws, and the copy spokes look like fat sausages. Apart form the screw on centers.

Part of the deal is that several companies repopped 8 spokes with differing levels of trueness to the original design. I have a set of the first copies, Lillegards, which is supposed to be the truest to the original design. One of these days I'm gonna get out my calipers and and compare them to my Empis.

67 Beetle - The Deuce Roadster of Cal Look
louisb

Runs with Scissors

« Reply #33 on: February 01, 2008, 20:01:31 pm »

To me the original spokes like tiger claws, and the copy spokes look like fat sausages. Apart form the screw on centers.

Part of the deal is that several companies repopped 8 spokes with differing levels of trueness to the original design. I have a set of the first copies, Lillegards, which is supposed to be the truest to the original design. One of these days I'm gonna get out my calipers and and compare them to my Empis.

I seem to remember that Frenchy was involved in making the first repo versions. Not sure where I heard that though.

--louis

Louis Brooks

The Beatings Will Continue Until Moral Improves!
sheep

« Reply #34 on: February 01, 2008, 20:24:31 pm »

JIm, are you converting to 4 lug

unless it has wheels,tits or fins I dont care
Jim Ratto

« Reply #35 on: February 01, 2008, 20:25:57 pm »

JIm, are you converting to 4 lug

you mean add two to the two I have already?
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #36 on: February 01, 2008, 20:27:09 pm »

I seem to remember that Frenchy was involved in making the first repo versions. Not sure where I heard that though.

--louis
may be here louis  http://cal-look.no/lounge/index.php/topic,3237.msg43304.html#msg43304
 Wink
fabs

http://speedwell55.skynetblogs.be/
oldspeed 61 standard empi/speedwell
qubek

« Reply #37 on: February 02, 2008, 21:08:28 pm »

Snobbery mostly Wink

It's a little bit funny. People saying that they didn't like those wheels because they were too popular, so the wheels became unpopular because of their previous popularity, but now, when they are unpopular, people start to like them again? So we may expect an increase of popularity of 8 spokes and then people will start to despise them again.... It's so hard to keep up with fashion  Grin
Similar thing with people switching from BRMs to chromies*.
I know that you can get bored with a given look after few years, but the lounge is to much like a fashion club lately IMO.

* to be honest - I tried that last weeks myself  Grin but discovered that my car looks awful on chromies, even if I like the wheel itself.

I have repro BRMs and I'm proud! :]
Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #38 on: February 02, 2008, 21:40:52 pm »

Repops suck because of the cheap ass plastic center cap! If they had a decent looking metal cap, it would make them worlds better...

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
qubek

« Reply #39 on: February 02, 2008, 22:07:39 pm »

i think it is oversaturation...
Yes it is, I know.
  if everyone has them, then the individuality is gone.
On the other hand, trying to have what other people don't have, is not individuality. It's as far from individuality as trying to have what other people have. Individuality is trying to have what you like. IMHO
Quote from: Zach Gomulka
Repops suck because of the cheap ass plastic center cap! If they had a decent looking metal cap, it would make them worlds better...
I agree.

I have repro BRMs and I'm proud! :]
Grelland

« Reply #40 on: February 03, 2008, 00:16:54 am »

Here's another car that is SLOWLY being finished on real EMPI 8's Undecided

When I startet the project I had fuchs on it, but then I realized that "all" cal-look Ghias at least here in Norway ran fuchs, so after asking for some inspiration here at the Lounge, you guys persuaded me into these wheels.

They will go on an early, originally 5-bolt car, but I guess since converting to 5x130 is an accepted upgrade, so is 4x130, and I end up with the same brake upgrade.

I cant wait to finalise the car AND the wheels (I actually have 5 of them now)

« Reply #41 on: February 03, 2008, 09:40:24 am »

hey can someone help me out with the right paintcode for the gold wheels? i can't locate the right colour. maybe a Ral-number or paintcode could help.

speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #42 on: February 03, 2008, 19:14:44 pm »

love your car nico   Wink

http://speedwell55.skynetblogs.be/
oldspeed 61 standard empi/speedwell
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: