The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 03:08:03 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350687 Posts in 28576 Topics by 6821 Members
Latest Member: LasseA
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Pure racing
| | |-+  Oberg or Fram HP1
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: Oberg or Fram HP1  (Read 27948 times)
Helge/DFL

« on: September 22, 2006, 20:34:20 pm »

in my racecar was a Oberg-oilfilter fitted. I would like to keep it, but I`m not sure if it realy works compared to a Fram HP1. What do you guys think?

-DFL- Der Fieser Luftkühlers
`59 Dragrace Beetle "Stage Fright"
`62 ragtop Beetle
Lee.C

I might be an Idiot but I'm not an Arsehole!

« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2006, 20:56:29 pm »

I just brought myself a NOS Oberg in the box - It's going to be fitted to my new "Looker" project

You either "Get It" or you don't......
Martin Greaves

10.88@128.58

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2006, 22:02:46 pm »

I use a System 1 dam good as you can take out the filter and see what going on. Then give it a good clean put it back in and off you go. This also means one fewer filter in our landfills which is always good. Grin

Hahaha your killing me.........
Frank LUX

Back...Soon...hopefully!!!

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2006, 11:10:16 am »

Hi Helge,

A couple of our Guys are Using Oberg Filters without any Problems, always good to Know what's going on in your Engine!!!!

I would keep it on your Racer!!!

Frank

1960 Ragtop, 2332cc, 48 IDA's, Joe Hunt Magneto, someday it will be back...
1953 Split Window, 1799cc, 48 IDA's, Don Zig Magneto,  OG BRM's...in da works...
SumFun Racecar, 2332cc, 48 IDA's, Magneto
48ida

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2006, 21:28:13 pm »

I use a System 1 dam good as you can take out the filter and see what going on. Then give it a good clean put it back in and off you go. This also means one fewer filter in our landfills which is always good. Grin

I'm with Martin on this one, a System 1 is the way to go. I run one and would never run anything else

I DRIVE MY VOLKSWAGEN WAY TO FAST TO WORRY ABOUT MY CHOLESTEROL LEVEL
Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2006, 07:14:18 am »

I'm with Martin on this one, a System 1 is the way to go. I run one and would never run anything else

System Ones also look bitchin when they are detailed! Grin

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
Martin Greaves

10.88@128.58

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2006, 17:28:16 pm »

System Ones also look bitchin when they are detailed! Grin

Cool any photos of a System One that has been detailed.

Hahaha your killing me.........
n2o

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2006, 13:18:41 pm »

I use System 1, good to know what's going on inside... Before I used Fram HP1, but they are not that easy to open...

9.88 @ 134.25 mph
The Ideaman

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2006, 14:20:35 pm »

What about these?  Does anybody have any time on one?

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=364968

It is the soldier,
Who salutes the flag,
Who serves beneath the flag,
And whose coffin is draped in the flag,
Who allows the protestor to burn the flag.
Frank LUX

Back...Soon...hopefully!!!

« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2006, 16:13:48 pm »

Well, I do really like the look of on Good old Oberg...

Frank

1960 Ragtop, 2332cc, 48 IDA's, Joe Hunt Magneto, someday it will be back...
1953 Split Window, 1799cc, 48 IDA's, Don Zig Magneto,  OG BRM's...in da works...
SumFun Racecar, 2332cc, 48 IDA's, Magneto
Lee.C

« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2006, 19:27:57 pm »

here's the one I just brought  Smiley it looks alittle different to yours
« Last Edit: October 18, 2006, 20:40:36 pm by monkiboy » Logged

Roman

« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2006, 06:28:17 am »

What about these?  Does anybody have any time on one?

I run one and it works!
Harry/FDK

Every Rule Was Made To Break, Even Callook...

« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2008, 18:58:39 pm »

Canton/Mecca.  Very good Flow and (8!) Micron ratings.
No by-pass.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2008, 20:05:17 pm by FDK/Hurry » Logged

Done ? Not Yet.
Prowagen

« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2008, 22:39:50 pm »

The Oberg, System1, Jaycee and Geers filters are the best to use, very little pressure drop, re-usable screens/filters, superb micron ratings.

Fram HP 1's are micky mouse in comparison, why put a $10 HP1 on a $5000 engine! You get what you pay for in life and there is a reason the fram is cheap!

Rob.
Cheesepanzer

« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2008, 22:47:01 pm »

I have run a 6" tattletale Oberg for years.  I would highly recommend.  As mentioned above, you always know what's going on inside your engine.  The screen is simple to clean and inspect.  Plus, it won't blow out when cold like the cheap HP1. 

When the engine is cold and oil pressure is at its highest, the increased pressure will cause your light to come on.  Just making sure you knew that and didn't worry. Tongue

If you are set on a traditional canister type filter, look for the WIX filter #51515R.  Bitchin!

62 Beetle (street/strip build)
63 Type 2 Single Cab
Cornpanzers
John Maher

« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2008, 03:16:17 am »

If you want max protection for your engine DON'T use an Oberg, System 1 or any of the 're-usable' billet style oil filters

Yes, they'll show if anything major is breaking down but so will taking a look inside the 3-4 valve cover (a lot quicker and less messy).

The micron rating of a stainless mesh filter isn't good enough to prevent the kind of wear a good quality conventional throw away filter provides. Stainless mesh filters are little more than a sophisticated version of the original stock strainer.

I used a System 1 on the dyno for years but ran it as a pre-filter before routing through a 'proper' oil filter. Recently I quit using the System 1 and reverted to conventional 'throw away' filters.
I cut them open with a filter cutter after each test session to check for abnormal wear... quicker, easier and more convenient than dismantling, cleaning and reassembling the System 1.

In the long term, engines fitted with re-usable filters will see more wear and tear on the bearings and journals than those using paper cartridge filters.

The re-usable/eco claim doesn't quite stack up either... what fluids do you use, where do you dump the mess etc?

A lot of of re-usable, stainless mesh, washable filters with billet housings have appeared on the market in the last couple of years. One of the claimed advantages is lack of a bypass valve. The advertising hype implies regular filters bypass oil at pressures as low as 8psi. What they fail to mention is bypass pressure is DIFFERENTIAL pressure, NOT absolute pressure.
Note the System 1 and Oberg feature a bypass valve.
Maybe the lack of bypass in the billet filters is more a cost saving measure than a performance enhancement  Wink

Don't know the HP1's bypass pressure offhand but it's around 20psi IIRC. To achieve that level of pressure differential across a filter, the engine would be history anyway. The advertising hype used by some of the billet filter people is (for want of a better word) misleading  Roll Eyes

There have been quality control issues with the Fram HP1 lately. It appears they've changed method of manufacture. There are a number of good quality alternatives. I've switched to K&N Gold HP-3001. Similar in size to the HP1 with slightly higher burst pressure, lots of surface area and excellent micron rating.

John Maher

Lee.C

« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2008, 04:31:25 am »

As always SUPERB info from Mr Maher - Thankyou Smiley

Jim Ratto

« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2008, 06:26:22 am »

How about Baldwin B253?
John Rayburn

Der Kleiner Panzers

« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2008, 06:55:45 am »

Despite what the micron ratings are on the Oberg, they don't filter well. The oil gets dirty way faster. I did an experiment about 15 years ago with the Oberg I had. As usual, the oil was getting real dark way too soon, so I put the HP1 back on and the oil went back to a nice light color. No, the Oberg was NOT loading up and by passing. The paper element simply woks better. The biggest problem I have with the system 1 is that the by-pass is at the place where all the crap accumilates. So, upon start up, the oil is thick , and , of course, goes on by-pass and sucks all the crap back into you engine. And, it , also does not filter as well as a paper element filter. By the way, the System1 will blow out under pressure. Warm up your cars.

I also park at Nick's.
stealth67vw

« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2008, 07:27:24 am »

I had an Oberg that I ran for years. The Kendall "green" oils was always darkeven after a few hundred miles. I swapped it out for a HP1 and the oil remained nice and golden green much longer. I have a Napa Gold (made by Wix) going on the new motor.

John Bates
JB Machining Services
1967 street bug 2020lbs w/driver
12.34 @ 108 mph 1/4
7.76 @ 89mph 1/8
pupjoint

« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2008, 11:48:00 am »

damn, looks like i wasted my money on the System 1....duh

i wonder if they make replacement paper elements for them?
airstuff

« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2008, 20:43:23 pm »

Does anyone use Vix oil filters?
Prowagen

« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2008, 14:11:10 pm »

Absolute Micron rating on the oberg can be changed with different screens or you can even run a dual screen kit. So can use a 115 and 28 Screen to trap larger particles in the 115 screen and the real tiny ones in the 28 screen. Also as the Oberg is bolted together there is no chance of blow outs! Afterall Gene Berg recommended Obergs so if they were good enough got him!

The HP1 has a rating of 20 microns:

Q: What is a micron?
A: A micron is a thousandth of a millimeter or a millionth of a meter or .000039 of an inch. Micron is the unit of measure used to determinate the size of particles in a fluid which are filtered out by the filter.

Q: What is the difference between Absolute and Nominal micron rating?
A: Micron rating is the size of particles which are filtered out by filters at a certain efficiency. When this efficiency is at least 98.6%, we speak about absolute micron rating/filtration. Nominal micron rating is just a commercial trick for all efficiencies lower than 98.6%, meaning that for the same micron rating (for ex. 10 µ) in the case of nominal rating, not all particles will be captured in the filter as in the case of absolute micron rating.

So basically if the HP1 stops 20 micron particles for 10% of the time its still a 20 Micron, Where the oberg has to stop 28 Microns 98.6% of the time! Sounds like a no brainer!

Not sure if the System1 uses absolute micron rating or just nominal?
pupjoint

« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2008, 14:17:12 pm »

ok. what is the micron rating on conventional paper element filters?

System 1 has 2 screens i think, normal and extra fine....not sure what micron
John Maher

« Reply #24 on: December 08, 2008, 17:20:03 pm »

Absolute Micron rating on the oberg can be changed with different screens or you can even run a dual screen kit. So can use a 115 and 28 Screen to trap larger particles in the 115 screen and the real tiny ones in the 28 screen. Also as the Oberg is bolted together there is no chance of blow outs!

The Oberg filter has very small filtration surface area. If you run the fine screen it can't flow the required volume. At that point the bypass opens due to large pressure differential between inlet and outlet. Now you have ZERO filtration  Shocked

Only time I've seen filter blowouts is when people use too big an oil pump/rpm the engine when cold/oil pressure boost springs etc etc

Afterall Gene Berg recommended Obergs so if they were good enough got him!

Gene Berg took the time to share a ton of great info. Most of it still valid today. Unfortunately he's not around anymore to do our thinking for us.
We're allowed to modify our opinions as we acquire further knowledge and evidence.
Some people still think the earth is flat, less than 6000 years old and was made in a week. Says so in a book somewhere.... doesn't make 'em right!  Roll Eyes

Someone earlier in this thread mentioned the Oberg tattle-tale version.... a light comes on when the bypass opens
Great! it tells you when the filter ISN'T working  Shocked

OK... so you fit the fine screen along with 'tattle-tale'. Race your car down the track and see the light's on for most of the pass because the screen can't flow enough volume of oil. Each time that light comes on your engine is consuming crud.

Maybe the answer is buy the version without the light and live in ignorance?  Wink

Cut open a conventional filter, spread out the paper cartridge and measure the surface area. Compare it to an Oberg screen. Absolutely no comparison.
You'd have to run a stack of Obergs in parallel to achieve the same filtration AND flow qualities of a good spin-on filter.

System 1 is better than Oberg in this respect due to the pleated design (lots more surface area). But like all stainless mesh filters, if you use a very fine micron screen, they can't flow the volume/bypass opens and round we go again

Look, I'm not on some kind of anti Oberg/System 1/billet/whatever crusade....
someone asked the question and I'm contributing factual information based on physics and reality - not marketing hype and sales talk

If people want to run Obergs because they look cool, cost lots of money etc, fine.
I used an Oberg on my first race car thinking I was doing the right thing. I too thought it was letting me see what was going on in my engine. What I didn't realise, it was preventing me seeing the small stuff it CAN'T catch

Obergs and other similar products no doubt have their place but if your primary concern is taking the microscopic particles that can damage bearings/jourmals/pistons etc out of circulation, they're not the best product on the market for that application.

If used as a pre-filter before a proper filter you can still play detective and have a look inside to see how much silicone your engine builder used  Wink

===============================================

Link to filter tests and recommendations: http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oilfilters/opinions.html
« Last Edit: December 08, 2008, 17:41:43 pm by John Maher » Logged

John Maher

tikimadness

« Reply #25 on: December 08, 2008, 20:20:57 pm »

I allways use MAN filters oil stays clear very long.
Michael

member of team YAC ; the guys who write history.

GASSER GARAGE  a few friends creating history.

NIDGAFWYT
Jim Ratto

« Reply #26 on: December 08, 2008, 20:46:23 pm »

I tried a System 1, noticed oil and rocker chambers looked odd, after a short period of time. Even when I lost a Berg cam (but running HP1) my rocker chambers didn't look as bad as they did running the System 1.

I'm an advocate of the Canton-Mecca, not a stainless mesh media in these, but a cartridge, similar to something found in MBZ or BMW motor. A friend that raced midgets turned me on to these. A.G. Bell plugs them in his various tuner books. I don't have the micron or GPH ratings, but you can look at their website. When I don't have cartridges for the Canton on the shelf, I run the HP1 or the Baldwin.
Nice thing about Canton is you can disassemble the canister, pull the cartridge and unroll to inspect.
Harry/FDK

Every Rule Was Made To Break, Even Callook...

« Reply #27 on: December 08, 2008, 20:49:44 pm »

Cool

Done ? Not Yet.
louisb

Runs with Scissors

« Reply #28 on: December 08, 2008, 21:01:27 pm »

I tried a System 1, noticed oil and rocker chambers looked odd, after a short period of time. Even when I lost a Berg cam (but running HP1) my rocker chambers didn't look as bad as they did running the System 1.

I'm an advocate of the Canton-Mecca, not a stainless mesh media in these, but a cartridge, similar to something found in MBZ or BMW motor. A friend that raced midgets turned me on to these. A.G. Bell plugs them in his various tuner books. I don't have the micron or GPH ratings, but you can look at their website. When I don't have cartridges for the Canton on the shelf, I run the HP1 or the Baldwin.
Nice thing about Canton is you can disassemble the canister, pull the cartridge and unroll to inspect.

Those are nice and that is not a bad price.

--louis

Louis Brooks

The Beatings Will Continue Until Moral Improves!
Airspeed

« Reply #29 on: December 08, 2008, 21:27:51 pm »

If people want to run Obergs because they look cool, cost lots of money etc, fine.
John,

Its probably "- a Cal Look thing - we woudn't understand"  Cheesy

"...these cars were preferred by the racers because the strut front suspension results in far superior handling than the regular torsion bar front end..."  - Keith Seume.
10.58 @ 130 mph (2/9/2022 Santa Pod)
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: