The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 26, 2024, 20:05:13 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350866 Posts in 28606 Topics by 6827 Members
Latest Member: bmwjaguare5
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  The magazines
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print
Author Topic: The magazines  (Read 26147 times)
Trond Dahl
Administrator

« Reply #60 on: January 24, 2011, 17:00:11 pm »

I know I'm not supposed to use this area of the forum for promotion, but as this thread is all about magazines I guess I might just get away with it...
Roll Eyes

Roll Eyes

hmm.... threads vs signatures...

Perhaps you should both use the donate button :-D

Street car 10.67/206kmt@Kjula 2014
Race car 9.49/236kmt@SCC 2017

Fastbrit

Keep smiling...

« Reply #61 on: January 24, 2011, 17:18:41 pm »

Wink

Der Kleiner Panzers VW Club    
12.56sec street-driven Cal Looker in 1995
9.87sec No Mercy race car in 1994
Seems like a lifetime ago...
bugnut68

« Reply #62 on: January 24, 2011, 17:48:20 pm »

I got to wade in on this. I've bought HotVWs since the '75 Cal-look issue(still have it). I grew up in So Cal, cruised Whittier Blvd, and read Hot Rod, Car Craft, Pop HR and others. Yes trends change, and peoples tastes change as well. I think that Deano, Kieth and company put out great product and inspiration to those of us who no longer live near or particepate in the California show/race/offroad sceane. I buy HVW on a regular basis. Kieth sorry but I'm not a regular for your mag but I have bought the books. Thank you. They will only publish what will sell or what they see as a trend.
Deano is cringeing as I type this though. Could we please have a new up dated engine book? The last one was in the fall of '97 and the tech has changed. Even if it's just reprints of the last decade, it would much appreciated. Thank you for all you do for our hobby.

Brian, I am working on Engine Book #3 as we speak... On-sale date is sometime this spring... Okay?

Grin

i look forward to this edition, greatly.  I'm wrapping up my 2017 build, which is near identical to the 1995 Hot VWs Cal-Look engine build, only running 42x37.5 Steve Tims heads rather than Fumio Fuykaya heads, and 1.25 rockers rather than 1.1's; also 45 Dells rather than IDAs, but the engine was dyno'd with 45 Dells also.

Though this engine is wrapping up, I'm already looking ahead into the future for additional projects...
Nico86

Turnip engine.

« Reply #63 on: January 24, 2011, 19:02:31 pm »

Certainly the internet has had an impact, but when it comes down to it story telling is story telling no matter what the delivery system. The magazines that fail tend to fail because they aren't any good any more.

I agree.

Brian Rogers

« Reply #64 on: January 25, 2011, 01:55:52 am »

Deano, What can I say but thank you!!!!!! Cheesy You've made my day on a crummy Monday Grin. Sorry to be such a nagg, whinner, and anything else you want to put in here. I'll take it. I have hopes for reprints of past builds but I'll take what I can get.
For those who don't know I've been a pain in the a$$ to Deano for this very book, needleing him every chance I got.
Thanks again Deano.
I'll shut up now
 Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin
iowa mark

« Reply #65 on: January 25, 2011, 05:24:00 am »

Even though a huge amount of my VW information has come about because of the introduction of the internet to the forgotten wastelands I call home, my roots have been buried in hard copy magazines even before my first car. I'm old enough to remember dreaming through pictures and the written language in books and newspapers and, of course, magazines. I will find myself fascinated in things from a long ago issue that, when new, held little to no interest at all.  I keep them all and continue to subscribe partly because of nostalgia, partly because of respect for the art of journalism, and partly because of the fact that I have yet to fail in getting at least one idea or learn something in every issue I pick up. All that being said, I have watched as the magazine racks that used to be in every store are replaced with racks of gift cards to Applebe's or Trac-phone. My local town of around 10,000 no longer has a book store. Meanwhile, the growth of multiplex theaters, electronics outlets and almost constant handheld communications gobbles up the limited free hours anyone might use to sit down and read anything. Next time you are invited into the home of most under 30's people, look at what's filling their "book shelves".
deano

« Reply #66 on: January 25, 2011, 05:39:13 am »

Even though a huge amount of my VW information has come about because of the introduction of the internet to the forgotten wastelands I call home, my roots have been buried in hard copy magazines even before my first car. I'm old enough to remember dreaming through pictures and the written language in books and newspapers and, of course, magazines. I will find myself fascinated in things from a long ago issue that, when new, held little to no interest at all.  I keep them all and continue to subscribe partly because of nostalgia, partly because of respect for the art of journalism, and partly because of the fact that I have yet to fail in getting at least one idea or learn something in every issue I pick up. All that being said, I have watched as the magazine racks that used to be in every store are replaced with racks of gift cards to Applebe's or Trac-phone. My local town of around 10,000 no longer has a book store. Meanwhile, the growth of multiplex theaters, electronics outlets and almost constant handheld communications gobbles up the limited free hours anyone might use to sit down and read anything. Next time you are invited into the home of most under 30's people, look at what's filling their "book shelves".

You are right on target... Wal Mart tells US if we can raise the cover price.

Hot VWs Magazine Window Washer
Anglia Obsolete Guru
'67 Heaven
nigelg65

« Reply #67 on: January 25, 2011, 09:34:19 am »

Iowa Mark you are spot on. You only have to look at what iPods and MP3s have done to the music industry to see where magazines/books could be in a few years time. But the thing is we are enthusiasts with a real thirst for info/learning/inspiration which should help us make the future work for us, not destroy what we have.

www.type-magazine.com
roland

lates are the new splits...

« Reply #68 on: January 25, 2011, 11:50:51 am »

This is slightly off-topic, I'm sorry but what exactly has the iPods and MP3's done to the music "industry"? All I see is people who used to make billions on the back of people making music now whine because they don't make as many billions, while bands have more people going at their concerts than ever (thus making money) and bigger music festivals each year (money again) etc..

I believe that this is all part of a big change going on right now. Our relationship to information and what we pay and don't pay is changing. Poeple who want to make money with information need to think about new ways of doing it. Who's going to be the first to make an iPad VW "mag". And not like a pdf version of a paper magazine. Something really created for that kind of support and that will use all of its possibilities in a clever and fresh way.

And don't get me wrong, I'm still under 30, but I have about 1000 books at home, so yeah, I read.  Cheesy

Glitter don't make you faster.
Brian Rogers

« Reply #69 on: January 25, 2011, 13:00:24 pm »

I think Mark hit the bullseye from 100 yards with iron sights. The younger generations do not read for fun or care for that substantial thing in thier hands they can refer to time and again. The demise of print media was predicted in the 60's SF stories of the day. I've uncluttered my life of books and mags (except my Hot VWS of coarse). That is what a library is for. I attend that on a weekly basis. Referance books and manuals are nessesary but most vendors now put thier manuals and schematics on a CD-ROM. Mostly say it  for greener but it's cheaper for them as well.
Deano and Kieth and others, Thank you again for all you do for our hobby.
Wünderwolff

aka Dr. Jeckill

« Reply #70 on: January 25, 2011, 13:46:37 pm »

I might be wrong, but I still consider myself (pretty) young at 34  Grin

And I can assure you that I have a lot of books, so many they will probably capsize my boat if I ever get to fill my library in it. The library will be filled with a combination of Magazines, Comic Books and Strips, Picture Books and Reading Books. I read most of them.

As for Magazines, it has been said before, the difference with the online reading is they put their contents in a time perspective. This is lacking on the world wide web. When you perform a search you're likely to get hits both on pages written yesterday as well as 10 years ago, except for the layout the difference would be hard to tell. It is also very hard to cross reference to other information of about the same time, whereas in magazines, you would be looking at adverts of stuff actually sold at the time of publication. It's not called a paper trail for nothing ;-)

My conclusion is: Print still rules!

Wünderwaffe are Go!
Fastbrit

Keep smiling...

« Reply #71 on: January 25, 2011, 15:17:51 pm »

I agree!

Digital images and websites come and eventually go – books live forever…

Nico86

Turnip engine.

« Reply #72 on: January 25, 2011, 15:47:37 pm »

There's nothing that can beat a beautiful book or a quality magazine. Aswell for the music, when I like the artist I love to go to the shop and get the CD or DVD, feel a beautiful/collector artwork, read the booklet, have something real in the hands that I can keep. And when I have an album in my computer, I like to copy it on a CD, print and cut the covers and put it in a case.

It'd be sad if one day books, CDs, vinyls, etc dissapear. Embarrassed

Fastbrit

Keep smiling...

« Reply #73 on: January 25, 2011, 15:55:42 pm »

There's nothing that can beat a beautiful book or a quality magazine. Aswell for the music, when I like the artist I love to go to the shop and get the CD or DVD, feel a beautiful/collector artwork, read the booklet, have something real in the hands that I can keep. And when I have an album in my computer, I like to copy it on a CD, print and cut the covers and put it in a case.

It'd be sad if one day books, CDs, vinyls, etc dissapear. Embarrassed
Yes, it will be a sad day when I have to give up my turntable and vinyl... NEVER! Angry

nigelg65

« Reply #74 on: January 25, 2011, 16:03:43 pm »

Wow, what a lovely turntable. Does it play MP3s?
deano

« Reply #75 on: January 25, 2011, 16:13:22 pm »

I agree!

Digital images and websites come and eventually go – books live forever…

Or, until the roof leaks....

Anglia Obsolete Guru
'67 Heaven
Fastbrit

Keep smiling...

« Reply #76 on: January 25, 2011, 16:19:00 pm »

I'm more concerned about the floor giving way under the weight of all those dead trees! Cheesy

bugnut68

« Reply #77 on: January 25, 2011, 18:08:01 pm »

I refuse to give way to all the BS modern technology toys.  I laugh at some of the tools I see wandering around, noses buried in their cell phones or wearing their designer sunglasses while seemingly talking to themselves (hands-free or Blue Tooth or whatever the most contemporary version is!)  I didn't buy a cell phone until I took my job here in rural southeastern Oregon almost six years ago, and all this nonsensical technological crap is, IMO alienating our societies into a bunch of inconsiderate, self-absorbed boobs.  Just my thought, of course. Grin

I'll always enjoy prefer print over online reading, that's just the way it is for me.  Smiley
volkskris

« Reply #78 on: January 25, 2011, 23:38:29 pm »

I might be wrong, but I still consider myself (pretty) young at 34  Grin
You're double as old as me Grin
but I agree, I like reading in magazines more than on the net.  Wink
roland

lates are the new splits...

« Reply #79 on: January 25, 2011, 23:49:29 pm »

I refuse to give way to all the BS modern technology toys.  I laugh at some of the tools I see wandering around, noses buried in their cell phones or wearing their designer sunglasses while seemingly talking to themselves (hands-free or Blue Tooth or whatever the most contemporary version is!)  I didn't buy a cell phone until I took my job here in rural southeastern Oregon almost six years ago, and all this nonsensical technological crap is, IMO alienating our societies into a bunch of inconsiderate, self-absorbed boobs.  Just my thought, of course. Grin

You know, with that kind of thinking, in 1900 you'd have been like "I refuse to give way to all the BS modern internal combustion engine. I laugh at some of the tools I see wandering about on their stupid automobiles. I'll keep my horse!"  Wink

Glitter don't make you faster.
bugnut68

« Reply #80 on: January 26, 2011, 01:55:53 am »

You know, with that kind of thinking, in 1900 you'd have been like "I refuse to give way to all the BS modern internal combustion engine. I laugh at some of the tools I see wandering about on their stupid automobiles. I'll keep my horse!"  Wink

Lol... I dunno, I've always liked engines.  Just not electronics! :-)  Well made point, though! Grin
Hecker

« Reply #81 on: January 26, 2011, 05:08:24 am »

WOW, After being back into VW's for just a year now, I was going to subscribe to Hot VW's but having read
all these opinions I guess I shouldn't even BUY another issue!!!! Hey just my .02,  but I guess the varied cars,
busses, off-road coverage and columns, appeal to me. I am "new" to the scene --- having bought my first
issue back in '72 when I had a 69 autostick. I imagined one day turning my car into a 1/4 mile screamer !!!
That mag along with Vw Greats, & later the Auto-Haus catalog / VW Trends were standard reading. When I
purchased the Feb '75 issue I KNEW what I had to do to my first car.!! The rest is history, preserved in my
memory & SPEEDWELL'S archives......I never got the screamer, but I did have a 14 second car once and I
drove it everywhere, much like the car I still have, I just drive it !
Oh by the way - make mine double-double grilled whole onion with mustard Cool
Brian Rogers

« Reply #82 on: January 26, 2011, 05:53:20 am »

Being technicaly challanged, I'm unable to post pics of my Harmon Kardon turntable. What brand and model is that Kieth?
 They will take my vynil, 1911Colt, MIA Tellecaster, and HotVW when they pry it from my cold dead fingers. Most likely from a double pastromy burger with everything. Gotta have onion rings. Vitamin "G" ya know.
Fastbrit

Keep smiling...

« Reply #83 on: January 26, 2011, 08:42:57 am »

Being technicaly challanged, I'm unable to post pics of my Harmon Kardon turntable. What brand and model is that Kieth?
 They will take my vynil, 1911Colt, MIA Tellecaster, and HotVW when they pry it from my cold dead fingers. Most likely from a double pastromy burger with everything. Gotta have onion rings. Vitamin "G" ya know.
It's a Transcriptors Hydraulic Reference turntable with SME 3009 mkIV arm. The deck features 19 minutes into the film 'A Clockwork Orange'!  Smiley

By the way, are MP3s anything like EMPI fives?

MacRavens

« Reply #84 on: January 26, 2011, 08:58:05 am »

It's a Transcriptors Hydraulic Reference turntable with SME 3009 mkIV arm. The deck features 19 minutes into the film 'A Clockwork Orange'!  Smiley

By the way, are MP3s anything like EMPI fives?
[/quote]

Sure, but MP3s are only for Citroën 2cv ? Smiley

LuftsickTero

« Reply #85 on: January 27, 2011, 10:05:26 am »

Poeple who want to make money with information need to think about new ways of doing it. Who's going to be the first to make an iPad VW "mag". And not like a pdf version of a paper magazine. Something really created for that kind of support and that will use all of its possibilities in a clever and fresh way.

"people who want to make money with information" = Apple with iPad http://www.mondaynote.com/2011/01/23/apples-bet-on-publishing/

| Cal&Resto | Publishing own mediocre Cal Look photos since 1995 in interwebs.
deano

« Reply #86 on: January 27, 2011, 18:02:40 pm »

I bought one of those new digital cameras a ways back, but I haven't been able to locate any digital film for it. Do you just jam the film strip end into that tiny slot? And the only image I get on that preview screen on back is I Love Lucy reruns...

Anglia Obsolete Guru
'67 Heaven

« Reply #87 on: January 28, 2011, 02:34:53 am »

Where can I get digital flash cubes for my 10 mega-pixel instamatic ?
Ivan

« Reply #88 on: January 31, 2011, 01:21:02 am »

Record players and vinyl will never die at my house!

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/kqQrAKom0ek" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/kqQrAKom0ek</a>
Fastbrit

Keep smiling...

« Reply #89 on: January 31, 2011, 08:34:48 am »

Good for you, Ivan! Cheesy

Old-tech rules (sometimes!) Cool Cool

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: