The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 05, 2024, 05:53:47 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
351094 Posts in 28640 Topics by 6846 Members
Latest Member: JamesBoyd
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  What should I do?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: What should I do?  (Read 7528 times)
Donny B.

« on: February 27, 2008, 05:20:50 am »

My '66 was completed in '95 and was featured in the Feb '96 Hot VWs magazine.  Since it was completed it has gone through a lot.  I drove it on four Gene Berg Cruises.  It has a different engine than it did in '95.  I have put over 100k miles on it since then.  The paint is faded and thin.  The driver side front fender is dented from years of Hot VW magazines and VW Porsche magazines falling on it when a shelf in my garage gave way.  The carpet is synthetic and has been eroded by the contact adhesive use to secure it in place.  The headlinger is discolored for the same reason.  The seats are soiled and worn.  The lumbar supports no longer inflate.  What can I say.  It is getting old.  I love my car.  I bought it from the original owner in July of 1984 and have owned it longer than he did and I have put more miles on it than he did.  It now has way over 450k miles.    The question is do I go throught it and fix all that is worn and do a new interior and fix the dents and repaint the car of leave it like it is.  It is battle weary, but I love it.  I remember the first time I showed the car at Phoenix Bug-O-Rama and Bill Schwimmer and Dave Mason cam over and talked with me about the car.  Should I do the car the favor or returning it to it's previous glory or just enjoy the way it is with the patina it has gained from many years of service.  I would really enjoy input on this.  This is my best friend I am talking about.  Please let me know what you think I should do!!!

Don Bulitta
Wolfsburg Registry
stealth67vw

« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2008, 05:40:41 am »

Sounds pretty wore out. Turn into a drag car. Shocked

Seriously, if it doesn't bother you having battle wounds leave it. If it does and you have the means, treat the old girl to a body off. I know I would if I had the means.

John Bates
JB Machining Services
1967 street bug 2020lbs w/driver
12.34 @ 108 mph 1/4
7.76 @ 89mph 1/8
Stephan S

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2008, 07:00:46 am »

450,000 miles? WOW!

Donny, my $.02... With time and money, I would redo entirely the car. Otherwise, if the car is still safe and mechanically sound, I would work on one area at a time.
I try to make one "big" improvement every year on my car. Last year: the bumpers (detailed Wolfsburg West items with molded brackets by Aaron Broughton). This year will be the engine compartment (along with a fresh rebuilt!) You get the idea...

I would start with the exterior by fixing the fender and trying to match the paint. There are a few parts that don't cost much but make a big difference: molding kit (stainless steel), running boards, rear view mirror and door handles, etc. You could spend some time repolishing your Flat-4s by hand, too. And then maybe break the bank and install a pair of Wolfsburg West bumpers.

Next step: the interior. You might be surprised how well you can clean some of the items, starting with the headliner. I'm sure Dyno could give you an advice or two. Carpets are fairly inexpensive (TMI for example).

Then the engine... Repaint the tin; get your Dremmel out to polish more parts; get some new stainless steel nuts and bolts, etc.

I think these small, rewarding steps will keep you interested in your car!

Der Kleiner Panzers
rick m

Driving Hot VWs for 44 Years Strong!

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2008, 07:10:55 am »

Hey Don...I thought I was your best friend.  You better keep this car!  You and I have some more road trips to do with the SBC group.  I am getting my new motors done so we can go out on the road again. 

When I get my big English wheel back to Phoenix from Utah, we will have to fix that fender like new. I like Stephan's input. If it is not in the budget, do little things, one project at a time.

Talk with you soon when the fresh motor is back in the Oval!

Rick M

Rick Mortensen
Driving Hot VWs since 1970
louisb

Runs with Scissors

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2008, 13:45:10 pm »

What happened to redoing the wife's car?  Wink

I think I agree with  Stephan. You have already stated that the engine has continued to evolve under you care, there is no reason the exterior and interior shouldn't do the same. Fixing paint chips and worn carpet wont change the bond or the memories you have with your car. It will make it that much more enjoyable to make new memories with your friend. I would think of it as getting your friend a hair cut and a new set of clothes and not as getting rid of an old friend.

Also, since you have already done the pan off resto, there is no need to tear the whole car apart. Just do some small projects and freshen up what needs to be done.

--louis
« Last Edit: February 27, 2008, 13:46:55 pm by louisb » Logged

Louis Brooks

The Beatings Will Continue Until Moral Improves!
Donny B.

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2008, 14:32:58 pm »

Thanks guys I appreciate the input.  I will probably do some of the easier things first and then reassess what needs to be done next.

Hey Don...I thought I was your best friend.

That hasn't changed and never will Rick.  There will always be time for good friends like you.  Sounds like a plan!

Don Bulitta
Wolfsburg Registry
yvre

Der Autobahn Scrapers

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2008, 15:52:50 pm »

450,000 miles? WOW!

Donny, my $.02... With time and money, I would redo entirely the car. Otherwise, if the car is still safe and mechanically sound, I would work on one area at a time.
I try to make one "big" improvement every year on my car. Last year: the bumpers (detailed Wolfsburg West items with molded brackets by Aaron Broughton). This year will be the engine compartment (along with a fresh rebuilt!) You get the idea...

I would start with the exterior by fixing the fender and trying to match the paint. There are a few parts that don't cost much but make a big difference: molding kit (stainless steel), running boards, rear view mirror and door handles, etc. You could spend some time repolishing your Flat-4s by hand, too. And then maybe break the bank and install a pair of Wolfsburg West bumpers.

Next step: the interior. You might be surprised how well you can clean some of the items, starting with the headliner. I'm sure Dyno could give you an advice or two. Carpets are fairly inexpensive (TMI for example).

Then the engine... Repaint the tin; get your Dremmel out to polish more parts; get some new stainless steel nuts and bolts, etc.

I think these small, rewarding steps will keep you interested in your car!

What he said. Smiley
louisb

Runs with Scissors

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2008, 15:59:46 pm »

Thanks guys I appreciate the input.  I will probably do some of the easier things first and then reassess what needs to be done next.

Of course you know, that requires you to create a project thread in the "In The Works" section so we can keep up with your updates.  Tongue

--louis

Louis Brooks

Donny B.

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2008, 16:23:02 pm »

Of course you know, that requires you to create a project thread in the "In The Works" section so we can keep up with your updates.

I suppose so, but I need to save some money for the easy stuff.  The hard stuff will require a bunch of work on my part.  The car is sound and I don't really have plans to do a body off.  No reason to in my opinion as it will always be a driver and it doesn't have any rust.  It's been an Arizona car all it's life.  Good ole hot and dry AZ.

Don Bulitta
Wolfsburg Registry
louisb

Runs with Scissors

« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2008, 16:26:00 pm »

It's been an Arizona car all it's life.  Good ole hot and dry AZ.

Yeah, yeah, rub it in.  Cheesy

--louis

Louis Brooks

Donny B.

« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2008, 16:27:42 pm »

Yeah, yeah, rub it in.

sorry...

Don Bulitta
Wolfsburg Registry
louisb

Runs with Scissors

« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2008, 16:39:31 pm »

Yeah, yeah, rub it in.

sorry...

Don't be. Be happy the bottom six inches of your car don't need to be replaced lol. I am half way tempted to scrap my shell and find one out west to replace it.

--louis

Louis Brooks

Donny B.

« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2008, 17:15:16 pm »

Don't be. Be happy the bottom six inches of your car don't need to be replaced lol. I am half way tempted to scrap my shell and find one out west to replace it.

I'll keep my eyes open for ya.

Don Bulitta
Wolfsburg Registry
louisb

Runs with Scissors

« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2008, 17:40:03 pm »

So what are you going to do first? How hard will it be to fix that fender? You going to repaint the whole car, or just touch up here and there? If you can match the color you should be able to spot it in. I can't remember who you had paint it before, but you may try to spot it in yourself and save a few bucks. Carpet is not that bad to do either. I will say if you do the carpet take a look at the pre-cut insulation like I used on the '67. I have been real happy with it. At even throttle @ 65 you can have a normal conversation even with the windows down in the '67 now.

--louis

Louis Brooks

bullitt

everything as it was at the good old days.

« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2008, 18:01:50 pm »

it depends on you man.....what a stupid answer i gave.... Grin Grin

in my opinion you should look inside you:
question is: you like a perfect car cuse you like a perfect car or cause you want to get other people's consense?
sound too much easy...but sometimes when we are speaking obout our own car seem ideas are not so clear and clean like speaking on other cars....

if u are really not satisfied with car's conditions..i think that it is a easy job to do.....nothin special, isn't it?
one week paint refreshing
one week complete interior restoring, seats, headliner...carpets

how much money we are speakin about?  3000-3500? not too much for a life car that u use a lot...

one thing: using car a lot i would't spend much time or money detailing under fenders, body, hoods.

Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2008, 18:02:39 pm »

If/When you are ready to think about interior, let me know. Ill take care of you.

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
Donny B.

« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2008, 18:04:09 pm »

So what are you going to do first? How hard will it be to fix that fender? You going to repaint the whole car, or just touch up here and there? If you can match the color you should be able to spot it in. I can't remember who you had paint it before, but you may try to spot it in yourself and save a few bucks. Carpet is not that bad to do either. I will say if you do the carpet take a look at the pre-cut insulation like I used on the '67. I have been real happy with it. At even throttle @ 65 you can have a normal conversation even with the windows down in the '67 now.

The thought was to have a friend Dave Rosenstiel take a look at it and see if he is willing to remove the dents from the fender.  The entire car needs to be repainted and I was thinking about trying that myself after a little practice on the '61.  I would like to hot rod the '61, but the wife won't let me.  I was also thinking of getting a carpet kit from wolfsburg west.  I like the German square weave although it's pretty expensive.  I would like to have a new stock style headliner installed.  Like I said a little at a time.

Here's what the '61 looks like:

Don Bulitta
Wolfsburg Registry
Donny B.

« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2008, 18:06:14 pm »

If/When you are ready to think about interior, let me know. Ill take care of you.

Thanks Zach.  I will keep you in mind for the '61 as well.

Don Bulitta
Wolfsburg Registry
louisb

Runs with Scissors

« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2008, 18:10:21 pm »

Wow, that looks like original paint. You should be able to just scuff that down and paint it as is. No need to strip it to bare metal unless the paint is cracked or flaking off. Check out this book:

http://www.amazon.com/How-Paint-Your-Budget-Cartech/dp/1932494227/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1204132084&sr=8-1

It is by Pat Ganahl of Rod & Custom fame. Good book with lots of practical information. I bought it since I plan to paint the '67 myself.

--louis

Louis Brooks

bullitt

everything as it was at the good old days.

« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2008, 18:15:12 pm »

after refreshing your car will be still your car!!!!but shiny...that's all
Rick Meredith
DKK

We can't force ya to have fun

« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2008, 20:15:15 pm »

Hi Don,

I'm another vote for tackling projects as time/money allow. Patina is nice but there's also a certain amount of satisfaction from bringing it back to the way your remember it.

Rick

67 Beetle - The Deuce Roadster of Cal Look
Harry/FDK

Every Rule Was Made To Break, Even Callook...

« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2008, 20:28:30 pm »

Hi Don,
Seriously, your question can only be answered by yourself and how YOU feel about your car, buddy.

My car sounds like it is in similar condition, rock chips, few minor dings, a little cancer starting to show in some inconspicuous places, rear bumper needs re chrome. While I enjoy my car, for the most part, I think the car "deserves" for these blemishes to be looked after someday. Right now, no can do, time or cash wise at this time.... but that's one of the reasons I'll never ditch the car.... gives me hope that someday the car will be as close to my deifinition of "perfect" as I can get it. So if I owned your car, and had the time and resources, I definitely would give it the restoration it deserves. It isn't a hoodride, for goodness sake!!!!!! I was talking to somebody a few months ago "in the know" and his take was same as mine....when one of these hot rod VW's see the light of day and comes out of the garage, it oughta be detailed, shining,....perfect. I totally agree, and while my car is nowhere near "perfect" I do my damndest to get it looking (and more importantly...RUNNING) as well as I can. It's a pride thing. You have a lot of history in that car Don, I've seen you with the car a number of times, it's been featured in KS' books, it's been on the Berg catalog cover, in the mags... but most importantlly, it's obvious that car means something to you. It's a lucky car to have a dedicated owner. I'd say revive the old guy.

My take. Hope you keep enjoying your car.  Grin
Jim

Amen.

You have a diamond...

Done ? Not Yet.
Carlos De Alba

« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2008, 20:34:56 pm »

Hi Don,
Seriously, your question can only be answered by yourself and how YOU feel about your car, buddy.

My car sounds like it is in similar condition, rock chips, few minor dings, a little cancer starting to show in some inconspicuous places, rear bumper needs re chrome. While I enjoy my car, for the most part, I think the car "deserves" for these blemishes to be looked after someday. Right now, no can do, time or cash wise at this time.... but that's one of the reasons I'll never ditch the car.... gives me hope that someday the car will be as close to my deifinition of "perfect" as I can get it. So if I owned your car, and had the time and resources, I definitely would give it the restoration it deserves. It isn't a hoodride, for goodness sake!!!!!! I was talking to somebody a few months ago "in the know" and his take was same as mine....when one of these hot rod VW's see the light of day and comes out of the garage, it oughta be detailed, shining,....perfect. I totally agree, and while my car is nowhere near "perfect" I do my damndest to get it looking (and more importantly...RUNNING) as well as I can. It's a pride thing. You have a lot of history in that car Don, I've seen you with the car a number of times, it's been featured in KS' books, it's been on the Berg catalog cover, in the mags... but most importantlly, it's obvious that car means something to you. It's a lucky car to have a dedicated owner. I'd say revive the old guy.

Jim

WOWW   Shocked ................  Amen  Smiley

Der Kleiner Panzers
Rick Meredith
DKK

We can't force ya to have fun

« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2008, 20:39:49 pm »

Hi Don,

Jim

WOWW   Shocked ................  Amen  Smiley

That's why we keep Jim around!  Grin

67 Beetle - The Deuce Roadster of Cal Look
javabug

WHAT'S UP WID DA BOOM BOOM???

« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2008, 03:55:00 am »

Hey Don.  Not to get off topic, but if that '61 is indeed original paint, it might not need a respray at all.  I bet that would clean up real well.  Original paint is often pretty amazing that way.

Ok, back to the '66...

Mike H.

Sven was right.
Cornpanzer

« Reply #25 on: February 28, 2008, 04:06:58 am »

What a cool topic.  I liked Ratto's thoughts, but on the other hand both Don's and Jims cars have earned thier patina and I wonder if as the years go by you the memories that accompany the small flaws wont mean more to you than a fresh paint job or a rechromed bumper will? 

Don, if it were me, I would fix the dent caused by the magazines (send HVW's the bill!)  Wink, clean up the interior and be proud of the wear.  Your car is part of a special time in Cal-Look history.  perhaps we dont appreciate that era of the late 90's yet, but given a few more years the ole Donny B survivor car will be a very special snapshot of how it was!   

Would we love the Keith Goss or Arinie Mohlman cars as much if they had been resprayed and over-restored?  Smiley

'67 Turbo Sedan
Ultra VW Contributor
Donny B.

« Reply #26 on: February 28, 2008, 05:07:51 am »

Thanks Dave.  That means a lot!

Don Bulitta
Wolfsburg Registry
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: