The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 01, 2024, 16:22:55 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350869 Posts in 28606 Topics by 6828 Members
Latest Member: GSW Racing
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  Flat 4 Fuchs
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: Flat 4 Fuchs  (Read 27878 times)
jhicken
DKK

« Reply #30 on: April 01, 2008, 12:17:32 pm »

I just bought a set last month from CIP. I got the lugs, studs, caps and wheels. I then sent them to Al Reed to have the black detail taped and powder coated.

I'm plannin on doing the same thing. What did Al charge you to do them up? How long did it take?

-jeffrey

outlaw

« Reply #31 on: April 01, 2008, 15:27:36 pm »

Early sets of Flat4 polished Fuchs needed a good buff if you were going for a gleaming look, I think they have now sorted this so they should arrive bang on !

Superb copies and without a lot the hassle you get with old rims.

I´ve been told that they will be available again in about a month.
jhicken
DKK

« Reply #32 on: April 01, 2008, 15:30:41 pm »

I'm going for the anodised and painted look, no bling for me.

-jeffrey

wolfswest

« Reply #33 on: April 01, 2008, 15:47:41 pm »

Early sets of Flat4 polished Fuchs needed a good buff if you were going for a gleaming look, I think they have now sorted this so they should arrive bang on !

what do you mean with a bood buff?  good polish job?  In the flat 4's that I have the polish is not that great, you can't clean them very nice...  they always looks like they have been out in the rain or something, hard to explain..  I havn't tried with a special product tough...

JPS NACIONAL kameraderie - HDB Syndicate.
outlaw

« Reply #34 on: April 01, 2008, 16:03:11 pm »

what do you mean with a bood buff?  good polish job?  In the flat 4's that I have the polish is not that great, you can't clean them very nice...  they always looks like they have been out in the rain or something, hard to explain..  I havn't tried with a special product tough...

Sets we had sold in the past looked a bit dull when they arrived and you could see fine polish scratches on the surface. We polished them by hand (gave them a good buff  Wink) with Meguires metal polish and they came up superb, no scratches and gleaming..............bit annoying that we had to do that but it saved the day more than once, some buyers were putt off by the dull look.

Only problem is you will probably have to polish them every now and then............Meguires works a treat !!!
Rennsurfer

D.B.O. Not a club; a state of mind.

« Reply #35 on: April 01, 2008, 18:20:53 pm »

I'm going for the anodised and painted look, no bling for me.

-jeffrey

Good to hear. Can't wait to see it.

"You can only scramble an egg so many ways."
~Sarge
j-f

Jean-François

« Reply #36 on: April 01, 2008, 19:08:48 pm »

I have a silly query; what size are the wheels on this car? I'm guessing 6" on the backs? Either way, looks like if you get some factory caps that match, color-wise, you'll be good to go, Jeffrey. From the looks of this picture, they look great. I've always dug on non-polished Fuchs five spokes with the black background... just like the way they came on earlier 911 cars. Easy to take care of and shows off the wheel much better. But... to each their own.

I asked this afternoon to François. Wheels are 4.5 front and 5.5 rear.  Wink

Rennsurfer

« Reply #37 on: April 01, 2008, 21:16:32 pm »

Excellent! Thanks for the reply, J-F. I suppose the Flat Four wheels are a way cheaper way to obtain those narrower sizes.

~Sarge
j-f

Jean-François

« Reply #38 on: April 01, 2008, 21:31:36 pm »

Excellent! Thanks for the reply, J-F. I suppose the Flat Four wheels are a way cheaper way to obtain those narrower sizes.

Yes, they are. And they look quite nice.
Nowadays,if you want a nice set of original fuchs, or classical wheels from the past generally, you have to break the bank...
jhicken
DKK

« Reply #39 on: April 01, 2008, 21:46:16 pm »

My recent pricing of a set of 4.5's and 5.5's were coming in more than I paid for the car they are going on. So that's why I'm looking at Flat 4's offering.

-jeffrey

Rennsurfer

« Reply #40 on: April 02, 2008, 02:17:01 am »

Yessir! Hence the same reason I opted for Flat Four BRMs. I about crapped when I found out that they had gone up to the sky-high prices that they're commanding now, during my absence from aircooled VWs. YIKES!

Another thing that's really cool about the Flat Four wheels is that they're made by O.E.M. manufacturers that make wheels for Honda or something like that. Schwimmer and Rick M. pointed that out to me when I was looking for my car and wheels. Which is what really sold me on 'em. That, and they're WAY easier to care for. I'm no longer 19 years young and can't deal with polishing wheels. The last 25 years, I purposely make sure that my wheels are painted silver or pewter. Wipe off... DONE.

~Sarge
ritchie

« Reply #41 on: April 02, 2008, 20:17:58 pm »

Flat4 with a little work and some paint.
A good price/result ratio for me.

Cal-look for ever
drgouk

« Reply #42 on: March 26, 2010, 20:32:05 pm »

Has anyone anoidised there Flat 4 fuchs? Any pics to share?

Thanks

David Gouk
Carsten

« Reply #43 on: March 26, 2010, 20:38:27 pm »

Fuchs is planning to go in production again with the "old" Fuchs wheels again !! The are not realy sure which ones they will make and when , but they think about it.
www.fuchsfelge.de , there you can sign in for their newsletter.
So who knows , maybe in some time you have the option to buy the real thing  Grin

1969 IRS bug
Rocket Ron

It's old school for a reason

« Reply #44 on: March 26, 2010, 21:07:09 pm »

got to love the book ends Cool, but at 250 euros  Grin

13.12 @ 101.84

Grooving out on life

You can't polish a turd but you can roll it in glitter
Rennsurfer

« Reply #45 on: March 26, 2010, 21:21:15 pm »

Fuchs is planning to go in production again with the "old" Fuchs wheels again !! The are not realy sure which ones they will make and when , but they think about it.
www.fuchsfelge.de , there you can sign in for their newsletter.
So who knows , maybe in some time you have the option to buy the real thing  Grin

AWESOME!!! Best thing I've heard all day. Thanks... gonna sign up for that newsletter, too.

~Sarge
DKK Ted
DKK

« Reply #46 on: March 31, 2010, 08:52:16 am »

Hey Mark, just remembered, Dustin's 69' from DKP has the Flat4 Fuchs which for along time thought they were real, also Scotts Ghia too, Flat4's. and they look good! I have a real set of late 6's, was even thinking of selling to get a set of the Flat4's cause of the offset and the early look. But that's a hard decision.

Ted

VW Classic 2012
Neil Davies

« Reply #47 on: March 31, 2010, 09:08:35 am »

How about fine media blasting the Flat four fuchs to take the shine off and part way replicate the anodised finish? I'm not sure you could anodise a cast wheel.

2007cc, 48IDFs, street car. 14.45@93 on pump fuel, treads, muffler and fanbelt. October 2017!
drgouk

« Reply #48 on: March 31, 2010, 09:35:37 am »

Hey Mark, just remembered, Dustin's 69' from DKP has the Flat4 Fuchs which for along time thought they were real, also Scotts Ghia too, Flat4's. and they look good! I have a real set of late 6's, was even thinking of selling to get a set of the Flat4's cause of the offset and the early look. But that's a hard decision.

Ted

Ted, I have some late 6's as well, Did you ever have them on the front of your car with a stock width beam, lowered?  Not sure to keep them and get a narrowed beam or sell the  late 6's and to get the flat 4 fuchs, Do you think a stock width beam,4.5 fuchs, dropped spindles and 145's would work?

Decsions...Any input would be appreciated.
Diederick/DVK

They're never done till they're sold

« Reply #49 on: March 31, 2010, 13:24:20 pm »

Ted, I have some late 6's as well, Did you ever have them on the front of your car with a stock width beam, lowered?  Not sure to keep them and get a narrowed beam or sell the  late 6's and to get the flat 4 fuchs, Do you think a stock width beam,4.5 fuchs, dropped spindles and 145's would work?

sure it works:

though IMHO i'd go with late 6s up front, save the dropped spindles.
4.5" fuchs are resto wheels  Wink Grin

Diederick
 -
Proud member of:
DVK ~ Der Vollgas Kreuzers
Rennsurfer

« Reply #50 on: March 31, 2010, 14:26:05 pm »

Ted

Thanks, Ted. I remember Dustin telling me that awhile back... I was impressed with the quality of the Flat Four wheel. I usually don't go for reproduction wheels, but these and the BRMs are the rare exception.

~Sarge
Rocket Ron

« Reply #51 on: March 31, 2010, 14:36:44 pm »

Ted

i've had 4 1/2 and 5 1/2s up front with a stock and narrowed beam

the ideal if you are going to drive the car more than a 1000 miles a year is dropped spindles with 5 1/5's  and 155/ 145 tyres with a full width beam. this worked best  for me

for show you cant beat a little narrowing with 135/145 and 4 1/2's and dropped spindles but it dont drive that well

13.12 @ 101.84

Grooving out on life

Fastbrit

Keep smiling...

« Reply #52 on: March 31, 2010, 14:39:09 pm »

For the full Restowagen effect, you can't beat a little narrowing with 135/145 and 4 1/2's and dropped spindles but it dont drive that well
There, I've corrected it for you! Grin

Der Kleiner Panzers VW Club    
12.56sec street-driven Cal Looker in 1995
9.87sec No Mercy race car in 1994
Seems like a lifetime ago...
Rocket Ron

« Reply #53 on: March 31, 2010, 14:56:40 pm »

For the full Restowagen effect, you can't beat a little narrowing with 135/145 and 4 1/2's and dropped spindles but it dont drive that well
There, I've corrected it for you! Grin

cheers but I've seen you your posts on there, we all know you're a little bit resto  Wink Grin

13.12 @ 101.84

Grooving out on life

Fastbrit

Keep smiling...

« Reply #54 on: March 31, 2010, 16:59:19 pm »

Sssssh!  Lips Sealed Lips Sealed Lips Sealed Lips Sealed  Grin

Der Kleiner Panzers VW Club    
12.56sec street-driven Cal Looker in 1995
9.87sec No Mercy race car in 1994
Seems like a lifetime ago...
drgouk

« Reply #55 on: March 31, 2010, 18:22:56 pm »

sure it works:

though IMHO i'd go with late 6s up front, save the dropped spindles.
4.5" fuchs are resto wheels  Wink Grin

Thanks 67 indeed, Very nice car you have there. So are they flat four wheels front and rear? 4.5 and 5.5? CB dropped spindles? stock disc brakes? Tyre size?  Thanks.
drgouk

« Reply #56 on: March 31, 2010, 18:25:25 pm »

Ted

i've had 4 1/2 and 5 1/2s up front with a stock and narrowed beam

the ideal if you are going to drive the car more than a 1000 miles a year is dropped spindles with 5 1/5's  and 155/ 145 tyres with a full width beam. this worked best  for me

for show you cant beat a little narrowing with 135/145 and 4 1/2's and dropped spindles but it dont drive that well

On the edge, do you have any pics of your combo? It would be appreciated. Thanks
Rocket Ron

« Reply #57 on: March 31, 2010, 18:45:57 pm »

4 1/2 and 2 " cb narrowed beam

13.12 @ 101.84

Grooving out on life

Rocket Ron

« Reply #58 on: March 31, 2010, 18:59:44 pm »

5 1/2 and full width beam

13.12 @ 101.84