The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 05, 2024, 11:42:22 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
351094 Posts in 28640 Topics by 6846 Members
Latest Member: JamesBoyd
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  I.R.S. rear axle Cal Look cars? Still out there? Or are we still stuck....?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: I.R.S. rear axle Cal Look cars? Still out there? Or are we still stuck....?  (Read 2242 times)
Jim Ratto

« on: April 29, 2008, 20:07:34 pm »

Seems the IRS cars are so rare in the hot rodded VW world today. Are they not in vogue?
If you've had the oppotunity to drive an I.R.S. car back-to-back with a swingaxle, you'll realize how nice the IRS cars can be to drive. Go over a hump in a turn, and the I.R.S. car still steers where you want it to, instead of acting like a grocery cart missing a castor wheel. I hope the scene is accepting of a nice 1971 or so standard Type 1, done simply and tastefully, 914 Mahles or Pedrinis, or 8-spokes, nice useable radials, healthy 2000+cc motor....  what a nice driver it would be.

Rocket Ron

It's old school for a reason

« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2008, 20:42:24 pm »

my 56 ghias on a IRS pan  Grin

its going to be a daily driver because of the better ride quality

13.12 @ 101.84

Grooving out on life

You can't polish a turd but you can roll it in glitter
louisb

Runs with Scissors

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2008, 20:53:42 pm »

I think it is mostly an issue of strength. The IRS tranny can be made to live with higher HP but it is not cheap. Plus there are more points for failure than on a SA.

--louis

Louis Brooks

The Beatings Will Continue Until Moral Improves!
team97
DKK

3M TA3

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2008, 03:27:20 am »

Seems the IRS cars are so rare in the hot rodded VW world today. Are they not in vogue?
If you've had the oppotunity to drive an I.R.S. car back-to-back with a swingaxle, you'll realize how nice the IRS cars can be to drive. Go over a hump in a turn, and the I.R.S. car still steers where you want it to, instead of acting like a grocery cart missing a castor wheel. I hope the scene is accepting of a nice 1971 or so standard Type 1, done simply and tastefully, 914 Mahles or Pedrinis, or 8-spokes, nice useable radials, healthy 2000+cc motor....  what a nice driver it would be.

Jim, you just described my old 54 vert. First on Mahles then eight spokes, 2180 CC 4:88 R/P,Slicks and 12.99 at Carlsbad and I drove it everyday (It was my only car)

Der Kleiner Panzers III
D.K.K.
team97
DKK

3M TA3

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2008, 03:29:06 am »

Oh yah and the front plate was meant to read in a mirror. Glenn

Der Kleiner Panzers III
D.K.K.
Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2008, 04:20:53 am »

After puting so many miles on my GTV, I gotta say I love me some IRS! For a daily ride that doesnt see too much strip abuse, it is the only way to fly.

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
Neil Davies

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2008, 12:35:26 pm »

Don't forget that the only Beetles outside America with IRS from the factory were 1302/1303 models (with the strut front end) and the semi-automatic (with the torsion bar front) - none of which are exactly prime Cal Look material! Cheesy

Having said that, I think IRS is increasing in popularity with racers in Europe. With people getting more power out of motors than ever before, gearboxes are again the weak link, so Bus box conversions are becoming a viable option. I know it's not for the reasons you posted, Jim, but that's what I can see! Wink

2007cc, 48IDFs, street car. 14.45@93 on pump fuel, treads, muffler and fanbelt. October 2017!
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: