The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 01, 2024, 17:27:48 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350869 Posts in 28606 Topics by 6828 Members
Latest Member: GSW Racing
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  Problems with new motor....No Drag Day-UPDATE
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Problems with new motor....No Drag Day-UPDATE  (Read 5096 times)
DKK Ted
DKK

« on: March 16, 2008, 01:24:19 am »

Well fired up my motor and had so many problems, Oil pressure for one, but finally built up, then my High Torque Started fell of my motor. What happen there was all my fault, was so much in a hurry, I forgot to put the top engine bolt on, when I kept trying to start it, I guess was to much stress on the starter, the lower part mount broke. The starter still works, but can't mount it. So here I go putting my self supporting starter in, and it was dragging. When I finally started the motor, there was a seems like a valve train knock type of noise. loud! All parts are new, even had the case lifter bore's bushed. Everything seemed just right during assembly. I checked valve lash, its perfect. There is no side play on the rockers either. I'm stumped. SOOO! I'll be at Drag Day watching. Any input on what might be the problem there??  Huh
« Last Edit: April 21, 2008, 03:54:13 am by Racecraf » Logged

VW Classic 2012
WCB Hitler's Hot Rod

« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2008, 05:15:23 am »

Bring your umbrella! Undecided

WARNING! BE PREPARED FOR A ROLLING BLACKOUT.

West Coast Blitz... "Motha Sucka!"

You may have some Swag, but I OWN da Swagoo!!

This right here is my 'lil Nazi-killa!
Jim Ratto

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2008, 07:02:36 am »

Well fired up my motor and had so many problems, Oil pressure for one, but finally built up, then my High Torque Started fell of my motor. What happen there was all my fault, was so much in a hurry, I forgot to put the top engine bolt on, when I kept trying to start it, I guess was to much stress on the starter, the lower part mount broke. The starter still works, but can't mount it. So here I go putting my self supporting starter in, and it was dragging. When I finally started the motor, there was a seems like a valve train knock type of noise. loud! All parts are new, even had the case lifter bore's bushed. Everything seemed just right during assembly. I checked valve lash, its perfect. There is no side play on the rockers either. I'm stumped. SOOO! I'll be at Drag Day watching. Any input on what might be the problem there??  Huh

Oh Ted, man sorry to hear that. I have had those days, trust me. I've tried to teach myself, deadlines aren't worth the stress and chance for mistakes. About 8-9 years ago, I built a very sweet 2332 for my '67, spent mucho $ on parts, machine work, etc. When I was stretching bolts on rods, and writing the stretch down, I had a jabber jaw kid in the garage (now I like NOBODY around when I build motor except glass of ice water and Greateful Dead CDs)....gab gab gab...I was getting impatient, but kept working. Weeks later I finally got motor in car, spun it for oil pressure, bolted up rockers, plugs, carbs, etc...lit if off, and WHACK WHACK WHACK.... shut it off, pulled valve covers, everthing specs out. So I tired again...again the knocking noise, getting worse, shut it off. Pull motor, strip heads off, and big witness mark that piston was hitting head/valves, which made no sense, clayed all that had .120"+. Well come to find, forgot to tighten (stretch) one ROD. It was just hanging there along for the ride. Luckily inside of case only had tiny nick, rod was ok. But all that work, oil, sweat, aches...not to mention valves hitting piston flattened cam lifter on that hole....yes that quickly....$330 hard weld 86C and Web lifters. Gone.

So sorry man, hope it is nothing BAD. Maybe just a pushrod seated in cup after you set valves or a lash cap set down?

It's ok man, tomorrow is another day.
Rennsurfer

D.B.O. Not a club; a state of mind.

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2008, 14:12:16 pm »

Awww... bummer, Ted. Like Jim posted; hope that it's nothing too major. See y'all in a short while.

"You can only scramble an egg so many ways."
~Sarge
Jim Ratto

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2008, 23:35:37 pm »

Question, If the piston or rod was put in the wrong direction, would that cause a noise, knock?? I tend to think that may be it, don't know....yet.    Undecided

it would but not as severe as it seems like it sounded to you.
no coil bind?
no valve-to-piston hitting?
enough room between backside of lifter @ case?
skirt of piston not hitting crank @ BDC?
nut down intake? Shocked of course, those don't have a rythym to them
let me know if you need any help, Ted....  and best of luck...been there before,  Roll Eyes
Jim Ratto

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2008, 04:21:52 am »

Hey Jim missed ya at Drag Day. This motor was my old big motor but with now a smaller cam and smaller heads. As far as the bottom end, nothing has changed, meaning, same crank, rods, pistons and barrel shims. Lifters are Scats like before. I did have Brothers do the lifters bores. I did check the clearance between the bottom of the lifter and the top of it. The back of the piston does have clearance with the crank. And there is more cleance between the valves than. My old set-up was .616 lift, now around .500. This is why I'm thinking that it's the rods or pistons. For some reason I was more in a hurry building this thing and might have missed soomething. What I'm going to do is put my 1776 back like next week because of Easter this weekend. And work on the motor and take my time on it when I take it apart. I want to check everything. I'll just cruz with you guys from Sarges house to Fontana, according to what Bill has told me and just show the car. Can't race a 1776 like I would want to. Not as much as fun as a BIG motor. Wink I'll keep you posted on whats going on. Hey, scored on a set of Itlian IDA's at Drag Day and a non-fresh air Thing fan shroud. Grin Take care.

well...let us know how it goes, Ted.... best of luck Smiley
Rennsurfer

D.B.O. Not a club; a state of mind.

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2008, 04:39:15 am »

Hey, scored on a set of Itlian IDA's at Drag Day and a non-fresh air Thing fan shroud. Grin Take care.

Nice score, Ted. I knew about the shroud... didn't know that you got some 48s.

"You can only scramble an egg so many ways."
~Sarge
stealth67vw

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2008, 04:49:10 am »

What kind of cam gears? They could be out of round.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2008, 04:50:56 am by stealth67vw » Logged

John Bates
JB Machining Services
1967 street bug 2020lbs w/driver
12.34 @ 108 mph 1/4
7.76 @ 89mph 1/8
Rick Meredith
DKK

We can't force ya to have fun

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2008, 06:59:18 am »

Kind of a long shot but could the lifters be hanging up or bottoming??

67 Beetle - The Deuce Roadster of Cal Look
Rick Meredith
DKK

« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2008, 07:01:52 am »

Can you isolate it to one head or cylinder?

Rick Meredith
DKK

« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2008, 04:52:01 am »

No Problem Ted... sometimes it helps to have several heads working on your problem.  Wink

Jim Ratto

« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2008, 05:15:36 am »

I still think coil bind or bent valve stuck in guide.
Rick Meredith
DKK

« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2008, 05:32:29 am »

That would be my first guess too Jim,

drgouk

« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2008, 06:40:32 am »

Valve to piston clearence, coil bind, bearing clearences, rocker geometry, valve pocket radial clearence, etc, are things that should ALWAYS be checked when buliding a motor, You should have a bulid sheet and which should reveal all the above info.
On my motors, i can even tell you the lifter bore clearence on every hole, and the wrist pin clearence!
It just makes it alot easier when you have a problem, you can refer to your bulid sheet, and work your way through it, and resolve it, and learn for next time.
Neil Davies

« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2008, 10:38:54 am »

Valve to piston clearence, coil bind, bearing clearences, rocker geometry, valve pocket radial clearence, etc, are things that should ALWAYS be checked when buliding a motor, You should have a bulid sheet and which should reveal all the above info.
On my motors, i can even tell you the lifter bore clearence on every hole, and the wrist pin clearence!
It just makes it alot easier when you have a problem, you can refer to your bulid sheet, and work your way through it, and resolve it, and learn for next time.

Good idea - I know I kept tabs on jetting, MSD settings, all that sort of stuff when I was racing, but never thought to have a sheet when building. Seems obvious now you say about it! Wink

2007cc, 48IDFs, street car. 14.45@93 on pump fuel, treads, muffler and fanbelt. October 2017!
John Rayburn

Der Kleiner Panzers

« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2008, 06:20:02 am »

Take the heads off and have Jeff check that you didn't bend your valves. Personally, beings you ran the thing, I'd check to make sure you didn't bend any rods or the crank.

I also park at Nick's.
John Rayburn

Der Kleiner Panzers

« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2008, 22:39:44 pm »

Better safe is right! That would be a drag to put it back in just to find another problem! Give Jeff a holler so you can run the heads over, then check out the rest while he's checking things on his end . Good luck!!!

I also park at Nick's.
WCB Hitler's Hot Rod

« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2008, 08:48:45 am »

Are you using your Ti rods with the new motor?

WARNING! BE PREPARED FOR A ROLLING BLACKOUT.

West Coast Blitz... "Motha Sucka!"

You may have some Swag, but I OWN da Swagoo!!

This right here is my 'lil Nazi-killa!
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: