The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 03:24:07 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350646 Posts in 28563 Topics by 6811 Members
Latest Member: Bren
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  In Da Werks
| | |-+  AssHull's '67 project
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 18 Print
Author Topic: AssHull's '67 project  (Read 191345 times)
AssHull

« on: June 14, 2008, 22:39:36 pm »

Hello everyone. Chris Hull from Phoenix, AZ here with a '67 that I bought several years ago. Bought Zach Gomulka's old 1600cc and we rebuilt the top end on it about 5-6 years ago. Put a set of 7'' cookies on it, CB 2'' beam and bolted up a set of drop spindles w/ disc brakes.  Also had a stock ratio trans built by Steve Hollingsworth with short axels to get the rims back inside the fenders. Anyway, paint was peeling, interior was stock and worn out plus the motor was getting a little tired so I decided it was time to do a complete rebuild. Plans are to go back to original color of VW Blue, dechrome it, fab a 'vert decklid, trading out the bumpers for Tim Tesnow T-bars, update the motor to a 1915cc with an Engle 120 and up the compression to 9:1. Gonna run the same AJ 044 40x35.5 heads, 1.25 Scat rockers, 40 IDFs w/ update kits, and 1-1/2 merged header. Zach is stitching up a Cal-Look fat biscuit interior (grey/charcoal). Cookies are 7'' all the way around. Trading a local guy for a pair of 6'' for the front to run 185/60 on the front and 215/65 on the 7'' rears. Got rear discs ready to go on to help stop this monster.  Here are some pictures from a couple of years ago after putting the beam and cookies on, plus a shot of the motor.  Started ripping into it a couple of days ago to start the project. I'll keep you guys updated. Enjoy!

Also, if any body knows where I can get a blank left side dash panel so that I can drill my own holes for gauges, I'd appreciate it!!
javabug

WHAT'S UP WID DA BOOM BOOM???

« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2008, 22:46:01 pm »

Hooray cookie cutters.  Car looks cool.  So when you switch to t-bars, you losing the bumpers permanently?

Mike H.

Sven was right.
AssHull

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2008, 22:49:29 pm »

You bet. Goal is to be a Cal-Look daily driver with decent handling and stopping power. I like the look of the T-bars over the bumpers plus who needs the extra weight anyway??   Cheesy
javabug

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2008, 22:50:31 pm »

I guess what I'm getting at is...what ya gonna do with them bumpers?   Shocked

Mike H.

Sven was right.
AssHull

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2008, 00:33:11 am »

I guess what I'm getting at is...what ya gonna do with them bumpers?   Shocked

Unfortunately the bumpers are spoken for.

Here are a couple of pics from the beginning of the teardown process. Just started stripping the paint today.
javabug

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2008, 00:57:34 am »

Dammit!  OH well...

Sounds like the car is gonna be pretty cool.  Good luck with the project.

Mike H.

Sven was right.
SlingShot

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2008, 03:02:19 am »

Your Balls Deep Now !

I can't wait to put a new windscreen in it Wink

Will Race For Beer !!!
AssHull

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2008, 04:43:40 am »

Your Balls Deep Now !

I can't wait to put a new windscreen in it Wink

Well the trick is to keep Zach away from the rope. Do that and we should be fine.   Grin
jamiep_jamiep

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2008, 16:11:52 pm »

Its gonna look cool! I've never really been fussed on cookies, but they look cool on the bug.

Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2008, 17:13:34 pm »

Hey AssHull I just had an idea. If we are going to have your bro powdercoat the wheels, we should give him the spare to do first, then you can mount it up to a 145, and ill throw a tire on my other Porsche steelie so we can have rollers on the front and swap out Joe for those 6's. When we get the fronts done, we can do the same thing with the rear. Deal?

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
AssHull

« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2008, 19:06:26 pm »

It was a productive weekend for the '67. Got the motor pulled and torn down to the short block. Had the heads hot tanked to get them clean and see how they look. Despite the Phoenix 120+ degree Fahrenheit heat, there where no cracks!!   Grin  Should get those sent off this week to get updated for the new motor.

Made some pretty good progress with a DA sander but that still needs some time and work.

Also, got all of the trim holes welded shut. Still need to get the bigger holes, but it's now officially dechromed!   Cool

Big thanks to Zach and Slinger for their help this weekend!  I got a feeling that these boys are gonna cost me a lot of beer this summer  Shocked
AssHull

« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2008, 19:09:49 pm »

One more pic from the passenger side.
louisb

Runs with Scissors

« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2008, 19:19:30 pm »

Making good progress. I will be doing the same on mine soon. What are your plans for the finished project?

--louis

Louis Brooks

The Beatings Will Continue Until Moral Improves!
AssHull

« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2008, 20:04:02 pm »

Making good progress. I will be doing the same on mine soon. What are your plans for the finished project?

--louis

Dechroming it obviously but going back to the original VW Blue. Gonna be running T-bars, Lucas turn signals and keeping the same wheels. Updating the motor from a 1600cc to a 1915cc. Also, putting in a new interior (charcoal/grey). The original post gives a lot more specifics, but that's the general idea. I'm hoping for a clean and simple look.

Good luck on your project. Keep us updated. It's always cool to see what other people are doing to there cars.
Jesse/DVK

'64 2176cc

« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2008, 20:08:02 pm »

Looks good, love cookiecutters Smiley

Der Vollgas Kreuzers
Rick Meredith
DKK

We can't force ya to have fun

« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2008, 22:07:14 pm »

I got a feeling that these boys are gonna cost me a lot of beer this summer  Shocked

I'm sure that beer is much cheaper than you'd normally pay for their talents!  Wink

67 Beetle - The Deuce Roadster of Cal Look
AssHull

« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2008, 00:00:08 am »

I got a feeling that these boys are gonna cost me a lot of beer this summer  Shocked

I'm sure that beer is much cheaper than you'd normally pay for their talents!  Wink

Definitely! Without a doubt. This project would be twice as long, twice the cost and probably half as good without them.

Lucky for me, they consider drinking a sport that you need to practice in order to be good at it.  Grin
j-f

Jean-François

« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2008, 07:59:26 am »

Looks like to be a nice project!
A fast, clean and dechromed bug, the essential of cal look.  Cool
I always like the cookiecutters.
Zach Gomulka

« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2008, 17:20:30 pm »

We really kicked some ass on this project Sunday! AssHull should be working on wire wheeling off the paint in all of the little nooks and crannies this week, and stripping the left rear fender (the right rear fender will be replaced with the one that was originally fitted to my '67). One more solid day of paint stripping this weekend, sandblast the rear vents under the window, and it should be ready for etch primer next week. We still need to replace the front clip (gas tank forward), make the rear apron removeable and fill the pea shooters, fill the over rider holes, horn grills and the large holes for the turn signals. Then back to the body shop for final body work and paint Smiley
This will be a very well balanced Cal Look car! Good power, clean looks, great stopping and handling, too. A very nice, but not over the top daily driver Smiley

AssHull

« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2008, 20:43:39 pm »

Another productive week of work on the project. Spent the week working on sanding several of the nooks and crannies and yanking out the rest of the wiring. Sanding the front corner panels though revealed some more body damage that was covered up with body filler.  Already knew the front was gonna needs some work, just gotta expand the area of repair.  Sad

Anyway, met up with Zach and Slinger yesterday to get the fenders shaved. Got the the big D-holes from the turn signals and the horn grills welded shut. Had a bunch of random holes in the trunk from the previous owner(s) welded shut also. Maybe it won't be so drafty in the passenger compartment anymore  Shocked

Got the rubber pulled off the wheels and made a trade with a local guy. Two of my 7's for two of his 6's. Always had an issue with the 7's rubbing on the front when at full lock so I'm excited to get these new wheels.  Grin

Getting the impossible parts to sand on the car and the wheels sandblasted today.  I'm gonna polish up the lips of the rims and take them to get the centers powdercoated a dark grey (basically keeping the look of the black rims but changing the color).  I'm also in the process of polishing the centercaps instead of the plain black that they were before.

Still got some body work and other modification to do before it's ready for paint, but all in all it's coming along nicely.
Zach Gomulka

« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2008, 14:50:54 pm »

Rich called me about the sandblasting, he said he would have it finished up today, I told him no worries. We will still have it in etch primer this week Smiley
Go ahead and call the guy at the powdercoating shop and tell him we are going to have to push back the wheels a bit in order to get the lips polished first- I'll haggle Sling about that.

BTW, does anyone out there have a single 6" cookie cutter they need to get rid of? AssHull needs one to narrow for the spare Smiley Thanks!

AssHull

« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2008, 16:10:05 pm »

BTW, does anyone out there have a single 6" cookie cutter they need to get rid of? AssHull needs one to narrow for the spare Smiley Thanks!

I hear all the cool kids have 5 matching wheels Cool
Neil Davies

« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2008, 16:21:14 pm »

I'm not cool then! I've got a set of cookie cutters (6's and 7's) and for my spare I got a 911 steel space saver - thing is the tyre isn't that small! It's a Vredestein 165 but it massive - looks like the tyre off a 747! Cheesy

2007cc, 48IDFs, street car. 14.45@93 on pump fuel, treads, muffler and fanbelt. October 2017!
Diederick/DVK

They're never done till they're sold

« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2008, 16:59:48 pm »

185 vredestein you mean? they've only got 155, 185 and 205 as far as i know.

Diederick
 -
Proud member of:
DVK ~ Der Vollgas Kreuzers
Zach Gomulka

« Reply #24 on: June 30, 2008, 17:12:42 pm »

Yeah, AssHull has a steel 4.5" Porsche rim at the moment, too.

I just drove by Rich's house to check out the progress on the car... it seems "finish up today" actually means "start today" Cheesy Im going to stop by again at lunch, hopefully Rich can get the wheels blasted right away so Sling and I can get the polishing done before he leaves for Ohio this weekend.

Neil Davies

« Reply #25 on: July 01, 2008, 09:13:24 am »

185 vredestein you mean? they've only got 155, 185 and 205 as far as i know.

No, it's a 165 - wierd looking thing, looks more like an aircraft tyre than a car tyre! I've got a pair of 165 Vredesteins in the garage too, more regular looking ones. Strange thing is that they came on two different cars (and on two different width steel wheels...) Cheesy

Here's a picture! it's the one on the floor...
« Last Edit: July 01, 2008, 14:13:14 pm by Neil Davies » Logged

2007cc, 48IDFs, street car. 14.45@93 on pump fuel, treads, muffler and fanbelt. October 2017!
GreenTom

« Reply #26 on: July 03, 2008, 09:28:53 am »

I have a Question about 67' deck lid how long is it in the miggle part mesuring without licence plate light thing. is it 75,5cm? (and standard something like 68cm?)

Aircooled Performance Gear
Quick Stick Performance
www.QuickStickVW.com
Zach Gomulka

« Reply #27 on: July 03, 2008, 15:23:50 pm »

A little progress... the center caps were anodized black, now the tops are polished and the inset is still anodized. I dig the look Smiley Sorry for the cell phone pics!!

Zach Gomulka

« Reply #28 on: August 10, 2008, 18:01:23 pm »

Well, the car is down to metal, it will be in etch primer soon. Brand new AS41 is ordered from Brothers VW Machine, cookie cutters will be on the way to Al Reed, with one of them making a short stop at Eric Vaughn's place first Smiley

We are really having a hell of a time finding a front clip for this thing Angry

Shubee2 (DSK)

"There's No School Like OLD SCHOOL"

« Reply #29 on: August 10, 2008, 21:01:48 pm »

Well, the car is down to metal, it will be in etch primer soon. Brand new AS41 is ordered from Brothers VW Machine, cookie cutters will be on the way to Al Reed, with one of them making a short stop at Eric Vaughn's place first Smiley

We are really having a hell of a time finding a front clip for this thing Angry
Are you looking for a 67 gas tank clip or a windshield Clip?
« Last Edit: January 27, 2009, 15:36:05 pm by Shubee2 (DSK) » Logged

Der Selten Kafers VW Club.
Founding Member Est: 1976

58 Ragtop Old School Cal Look
66 Cal Look Drag Car
67 Resto Cal Look
67 Chevy II Nova L79
02 Camaro Vert!
04 Corvette Vert!
04 Colorado Pickup
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 18 Print 
« previous next »