The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 01, 2024, 16:54:28 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350869 Posts in 28606 Topics by 6828 Members
Latest Member: GSW Racing
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Tyre kicking
| |-+  Off Topic
| | |-+  james deans 550 .....
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: james deans 550 .....  (Read 14397 times)
ian c

« on: June 23, 2008, 22:17:53 pm »

anybody ever researched this ??
wtf !!!
i did over weekend ....  scary stuff  Shocked

i dont believe a car can be "jinxed" , but that is more than coincidence !!!

i spent half my money on beer , cars , and women .

the other half , i just wasted .

(o\ ! /o)
Rick Meredith
DKK

We can't force ya to have fun

« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2008, 22:20:41 pm »

Yes... very spooky stuff.

67 Beetle - The Deuce Roadster of Cal Look
ian c

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2008, 22:25:16 pm »

i'm gonna get LITTLE BASTARD painted on the back of my oval .....  kinda having second thoughts now !!

(o\ ! /o)
Jim Ratto

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2008, 22:36:32 pm »

I'm kind of into that car, etc.

I've driven out to the spot where the accident occured in '55, looking for nuts and bolts, etc.... well, this was 1990 or so... no luck.
There was a cool documentary about the day it happnened, watched it on VHS about 15yr ago....I forget title now.

Showed some cool photography of the car, the roads driven and the accident.

I believe Dean's route was GS Freeway north, over Ridge Route, up 99 past Bakersfield and then west on 466 (now known as 46), colliding with Ford at intersection of 41 and 466. Bad deal.
ian c

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2008, 22:42:05 pm »

jim ,
was the japanese guys tribute there when you went ??

i'm gonna make my way over there one day ....

(o\ ! /o)
Jim Ratto

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2008, 22:50:14 pm »

jim ,
was the japanese guys tribute there when you went ??

i'm gonna make my way over there one day ....

no there was nobody there except for me and Sheep. It's pretty remote out there. I hear it was a Japanese fan that built the shrine and so on around the tree.

We stopped @ Balckwell's Corner (north of McKittrick on 33, @ crossroads of 33 and 46) for sodas on our way home from Famoso VW show...there was some sign that said "Place of James Dean's Last Stop". Kind of eeire.

Here's a pic I got off of Google of the area of the crash

Interestingly, about 15 miles from here is the shakiest place in CA, as far as earthquakes go (Parkfield, CA), where geologists can "predict" 6.0 or greater scale earthquakes with uncanny accuracy.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2008, 22:54:36 pm by Jim Ratto » Logged
ian c

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2008, 23:06:52 pm »

We stopped @ Balckwell's Corner (north of McKittrick on 33, @ crossroads of 33 and 46) for sodas on our way home from Famoso VW show...there was some sign that said "Place of James Dean's Last Stop". Kind of eeire.

iirr , he met up with other racers there whilst he was waiting for his buddies in the truck .... they had all had speeding tickets on the way there ?

did you know he was involved with the witches in l.a Huh

never really publicised as it would have been bad for the public image

(o\ ! /o)
Jim Ratto

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2008, 23:17:56 pm »

iirr , he met up with other racers there whilst he was waiting for his buddies in the truck .... they had all had speeding tickets on the way there ?

did you know he was involved with the witches in l.a Huh

never really publicised as it would have been bad for the public image

no I never heard that. I am more interested in the car than JD anyway  Grin

Time to go watch "GIANT"
ian c

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2008, 23:33:09 pm »

the witches are one theory to why it all happened ....................

yes , google is my friend Cheesy

i had it in my head the car was called "lil bastard" but wanted to make sure so i did a google , i knew a nice car got wrecked , and i thought a guy died in the rebuilt car in germany .......  guess  the only thing i got right was that a nice car got wrecked !!

certainly was an eye opener though .
i suggest anybody that is into cars , especially aircooled vw's and porsches read up on it .  its an amazing story !!!

(o\ ! /o)
Sam K

« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2008, 02:16:49 am »

I bet that somwhere somebody has that car (or what's left of it) tucked away in their garage.
ian c

« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2008, 04:52:13 am »

its allegedly in england .

the are a couple of interesting privatel collectors , one in ca , one in uk .
there collections contain cars that celebrities where killed in .

thats off the net , but come to think of it , i do remember hearing something about dodi alfayed's mercedez ...

(o\ ! /o)
Lee.C

I might be an Idiot but I'm not an Arsehole!

« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2008, 09:41:53 am »

i'm gonna get LITTLE BASTARD painted on the back of my oval .....  kinda having second thoughts now !!

I call my Manx "Lil Bitch" kind of a play on the old 550 name, plus she causes me nothing but heart ache  Wink Smiley

You either "Get It" or you don't......
black_bullitt

« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2008, 12:51:36 pm »

This is a copy( allegedly ) of the speeding ticket issued to him just before the crash, copped at 65 in a 55 zone.

Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2008, 17:04:10 pm »

The transaxle was on ebay maybe 5 years ago, starting bid was $25 grand I believe Shocked

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
Soddli

Thomas

« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2008, 20:45:55 pm »

Yeahhh......great topic.

Very scary surroundings of this car....spoooooky! Shocked

Rumors of a good source of mine also indicated that it may be in England....
A lot of amazing cars hiding at collectors....as a "secret" 917-30 i know of in Scandinavia Grin

Black Sheep

less is more

« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2008, 20:48:46 pm »

The transaxle was on ebay maybe 5 years ago, starting bid was $25 grand I believe Shocked
Didn't that get used in another race car ,and first time out the guy had a bad accident or got killed too  Shocked Shocked.
other parts re used from the car fared little better also I believe

Stick with what you know works .
13.03 @ 98mph
stealth67vw

« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2008, 03:36:10 am »

The car was parted out from all the documentaries I have seen and bad luck followed all the parts.

John Bates
JB Machining Services
1967 street bug 2020lbs w/driver
12.34 @ 108 mph 1/4
7.76 @ 89mph 1/8
Lee.C

« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2008, 04:44:57 am »

I have heard this about "bad luck" following these parts after they were parted out BUT if these parts were fitted to other "Race Cars" then Surely they are bound to crash/break at sometime - and let face it H&S (health and safty) was exactly BIG back in the day  Cheesy Smiley

Just my 2 cents guys  Smiley

Black Sheep

less is more

« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2008, 17:27:46 pm »

BUT if these parts were fitted to other "Race Cars" then Surely they are bound to crash/break at sometime

Dont i know it  Roll Eyes never accept hand me downs  Grin

Stick with what you know works .
13.03 @ 98mph
ian c

« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2008, 21:59:17 pm »

I have heard this about "bad luck" following these parts after they were parted out BUT if these parts were fitted to other "Race Cars" then Surely they are bound to crash/break at sometime - and let face it H&S (health and safty) was exactly BIG back in the day  Cheesy Smiley

ITS MORE THAN THAT ...   READ IT .

(o\ ! /o)
Jim Ratto

« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2008, 22:30:42 pm »

anybody ever researched this ??
wtf !!!
i did over weekend ....  scary stuff  Shocked

i dont believe a car can be "jinxed" , but that is more than coincidence !!!

ian c...  if you ever get to The Spot, you may notice, it certainly does have a spooky feel to it.
Not something you can put your finger on.

Lee.C

« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2008, 23:38:49 pm »

ITS MORE THAN THAT ...   READ IT .

Huh Huh Huh more than what dude  Huh Huh Huh its just a point of view, I have known all about this "Legend" for ages - if this car was owned by "Joe Public" would there even be such a story Huh

Don't get me wrong dude James Dean is a LEGEND and the 550 is one of my all time favourite cars - its just my 2 cents Smiley

ian c

« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2008, 00:33:57 am »

didnt mean no offence , but 1 person died and another came VERY close using parts from the car  . this happened the first outing after they where fitted .

(according to what now must be deemed "legend" )

Smiley

(o\ ! /o)
Lee.C

« Reply #23 on: June 26, 2008, 00:37:58 am »

its all cool, but what about the part where it appently fell off a transporter and seriosly injured someone  Shocked maybe there is more to this Wink Smiley

ian c

« Reply #24 on: June 26, 2008, 00:40:14 am »

IT "FELL OFF" MORE THAN ONCE .....  A FATALITY IN ONE OF THE INCIDENTS (DRIVER THROWN OUT OF CAB DURING ACCIDENT)

(o\ ! /o)
Tony M

« Reply #25 on: June 26, 2008, 21:43:54 pm »

been down that road - yes kind of spooky at night there - my dad was racing at the same time - speedster carrera 4 cam'r - said he dident drive all that well - too much car. he was going over the same road a little later and came up on the crash - he slowed to see what it was and did not stop - like most racers - they have some strange ways of dealing with death. those days you drove your car to and from the races. worked in indiana for a time in fairmont - home of james dean - the shop we were working in was right across the street from his house - same name still on the mail box - big open garage in rear with no doors - cars still sitting ithere with about 20in of dust on them - an old merc, and i think a old ford.

Life is too fast to drive a slow VW
Mike Lawless

« Reply #26 on: June 27, 2008, 19:24:20 pm »

We drive by that spot pretty often as it's on our way to the coastal town of Morro Bay. We go there once or twice a year. We'll be going by there again next week (July 3). I'll try to remember to stop by, pay my respects and snap a photo of the memorial that was erected there. There's a bunch of cheesy memorabilia in the store that's there too.

Winner, 2009 Bakersfield March Meet
2006 PRA Super Gas Champion
2002-2003 DRKC Champion
http://www.lawlessdesigns.com
Jim Ratto

« Reply #27 on: June 27, 2008, 19:48:32 pm »

been down that road - yes kind of spooky at night there - my dad was racing at the same time - speedster carrera 4 cam'r - said he dident drive all that well - too much car. he was going over the same road a little later and came up on the crash - he slowed to see what it was and did not stop - like most racers - they have some strange ways of dealing with death. those days you drove your car to and from the races. worked in indiana for a time in fairmont - home of james dean - the shop we were working in was right across the street from his house - same name still on the mail box - big open garage in rear with no doors - cars still sitting ithere with about 20in of dust on them - an old merc, and i think a old ford.

am I reading this right? Your dad raced a 4 cam car too? WTF dude, you never told me that...and I am like a son to you... you scarred me Tony.  Cry
Jim Ratto

« Reply #28 on: June 27, 2008, 20:03:12 pm »

Tony, you better drop what you're doing and start telling us some stories about your father's cars....  OMG

you might find this interesting: http://www.356registry.org/Articles/Christophorus/index.html

« Last Edit: June 27, 2008, 20:13:10 pm by Jim Ratto » Logged
Jim Ratto

« Reply #29 on: June 27, 2008, 20:05:58 pm »

and some stories about your dad hanging out @ Grace Slick's pad...   
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: