The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 14:54:02 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350687 Posts in 28576 Topics by 6820 Members
Latest Member: chicochemxli
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  How to lock out the 009 distributor?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: How to lock out the 009 distributor?  (Read 14441 times)
airstuff

« on: July 21, 2008, 20:17:43 pm »

Hi people,

Can someone please explain,what  needs to be done to the distributor in order to get it locked up(ignition curve)?

Pics would help also....

Thanks.

« Last Edit: July 22, 2008, 20:27:46 pm by cal-look » Logged
airstuff

« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2008, 20:26:35 pm »

come on guys,is it a secret? Cheesy
Rennsurfer

D.B.O. Not a club; a state of mind.

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2008, 20:31:55 pm »

come on guys,is it a secret? Cheesy

Yeah... how come Ratto's holdin' out on us? C'mon, Jim. We know that you know how to do this.

Grin

"You can only scramble an egg so many ways."
~Sarge
gibber!

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2008, 21:03:00 pm »

Did I hear somewhere about threading a bolt through the case of the dizzy to prevent it from fully advancing... and therefore making it possible for you to arrest the advance where you want?
Or am I way off.... Huh

“There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.”

1967 1500 Beetle
1970 Karmann Ghia

SSVWC member
Diederick/DVK

They're never done till they're sold

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2008, 21:21:34 pm »

i thought it had something to do with welding weights into the dist...

Diederick
 -
Proud member of:
DVK ~ Der Vollgas Kreuzers
Mike Lawless

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2008, 21:25:46 pm »

There's a limit tab on the base plate that limits the amount the advance mechanism can move. You can bend that tab to the point that advance is locked out. Otherwise, perhaps spot weld the advance plate to the base plate.

Winner, 2009 Bakersfield March Meet
2006 PRA Super Gas Champion
2002-2003 DRKC Champion
http://www.lawlessdesigns.com
Jim Ratto

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2008, 21:30:56 pm »

We used to just tack weld the advance weights @ BH, I even saw jerry lock one with a self-tapping screw.
Peter

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2008, 22:16:54 pm »

i think i got a 009 that is locked by the Ideaman;
i ll try and make a pic...
Peter

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2008, 22:28:40 pm »

here it is...
OldSpeed

1300 Addict.

« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2008, 12:51:07 pm »

This is how Kevdonlon01 from VZI did his:

The next thing was to modify my 009 dizzy to limit the advance to 24 degrees as per again ourkids thread first as he says you have to have an understanding of how the mechanism works,this is a centrifugal advance distributor that relies on weights moving out as the distributor rotates untill max advance is met,the total advance is too much for a turbo so has to be limited
first strip the dizzy down to its component parts and identify what does what,the pic below shows the weight (with the plastic pad) and the stop it hits as it moves out

the next thing to do is drill and tap the stop for a 3mm grub screw

reassemble the dizzy and pop out the cover on the side,this will allow you to rotate the rotor arm so you can see the new grubscrew inside and adjust it to limit your advance

using a protractor i marked a line 7 degrees clockwise of the original timing mark, i drew a line on the rotor arm and lined it through,then using a screwdriver i opened the weight towards the grubscrew untill the line on the rotor arm lined up with my mark 7 degrees away, i then adjusted the grubscrew onto the weight and this should now limit its advance

and with the rotor arm removed for clarity (weights being held against the grub screw stop)

When my engine is running i will set the timing at 24 degrees at 3000 revs and lock it off,according to what the timing is when it idles i may slightly adjust where the weights are limited to but always resetting to 24 degrees at 3000 revs (basically only the idle timing will change then)

Disclaimer,i am no expert on this,i have tried to follow previously done work and include pics as i go along,dont moan at me if you follow this and your motor blows up,mine will have already gone and i'll have too much work on my hands putting it right to worry

Wink
airstuff

« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2008, 15:47:13 pm »

great Smiley going to do mine tomorrow  Cool
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: