The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 06, 2024, 02:17:20 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350884 Posts in 28608 Topics by 6828 Members
Latest Member: GSW Racing
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  Linkage for non-offset manifolds
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Linkage for non-offset manifolds  (Read 2844 times)
alex d

« on: August 25, 2008, 13:48:33 pm »

ok, so I'm using cb's bigbeef manifolds, which are non-offset, my hex-bar carb linkage was for offset manifolds, so I bought the filter bases which are offset, so the hex-bar now sits straight...but now I have two problems:

1) I can't adjust the arms so the rods are vertical, as the right one hits the filter base, so I put it as near as I can before it hits.
2) as now the hex bar sits at a different distance from each carb, each rod has a different front/rear angle, so the carbs open differently and I can't get full throttle at the same time in both carbs  Huh Huh
Mike Lawless

« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2008, 16:28:37 pm »

Try matching the left to right angles by first positioning the arm that interferes for best clearance. Match the other side to that angle. If that doesn't work, you might try measuring center to center distances on the carb arms. If you have a pair with a slight variance, use the shorter of those on the side that needs more travel. With a little work, it's a stout and trouble free free linkage. It's just geometry, just short of rocket science. Grin

Winner, 2009 Bakersfield March Meet
2006 PRA Super Gas Champion
2002-2003 DRKC Champion
http://www.lawlessdesigns.com
John Rayburn

Der Kleiner Panzers

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2008, 17:55:14 pm »

What was usually done on the EMPI or Tayco linkage was to use a small piece of tubing as a spacer on the tucked side and make it just long enough from the carb arm so the rod hangs from the linkage straight down to the small spacer. Now , both your arms are straight up and down to give you equal and smooth operation.

I also park at Nick's.
Jim Ratto

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2008, 23:02:06 pm »

couldn't one use Berg fan housing linkage, and space the LH carb arm or ball joint back with 1/4" washers to get things aligned?
I don't think my old Super Flow IDA manifolds had offset to them, and I had to space the ball joint out maybe .200"...gosh it was years ago now...
« Last Edit: August 25, 2008, 23:04:06 pm by Jim Ratto » Logged
Sam K

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2008, 23:40:17 pm »

I had a similar problem a long time ago with my CB linkage and I ened up making a spacer that  fit between the lower linkage hiem joint and the carb. If I remeber correctly, I just went to the hardware bought a universal heim joint from the hardware store that had a hole through it instead of a stud. I also got some appropriately sized all thread and I think I just cut a stock pushrod to use as a spacer and I used nylock nuts on either end. You shouldn't need to space it out more than an inch or so. It worked fine. on the other hand, you just buy a Berg linkage and it shoud work fine. I've had one for years and I have no complaints.
John Rayburn

Der Kleiner Panzers

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2008, 01:33:23 am »

I thought I just said that.

I also park at Nick's.
Vince W.

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2008, 03:37:36 am »

Or if you are lazy like me  Grin you could use part #3395 or 3396
http://www.cbperformance.com/catalog.asp?ProductID=544
alex d

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2008, 12:54:08 pm »

hmmmm sounds logical, now that I think of it, but first I'll try to put back the other filter bases, even if the hexbar is not straight it should work better than now (if it doesn't hit anything that is)
alex d

« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2008, 11:30:13 am »

well, I used the offset filter bases and now it works like it's supposed, carbs open and get full throttle at the same time now I have to find a way to close the engine lid!  Grin
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: