The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 05, 2024, 05:44:01 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
351094 Posts in 28640 Topics by 6846 Members
Latest Member: JamesBoyd
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  Mike Maize - Can I see pics of your car please?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Mike Maize - Can I see pics of your car please?  (Read 15518 times)
Prowagen

« on: August 26, 2008, 21:48:18 pm »

I notice you have gasser style wings and an Aronson rear deck, whats on the front???

Cheers Rob.
Mike Maize

« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2008, 02:10:29 am »

Hey Rob, I have an early sunken center gasser/70's style hood.
javabug

WHAT'S UP WID DA BOOM BOOM???

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2008, 03:06:00 am »

Here's a moving picture:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/OcM_9tbaR9Q" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/OcM_9tbaR9Q</a>

Listen carefully to the commentary if you can.   Cheesy Cool Grin
« Last Edit: August 27, 2008, 03:07:33 am by javabug » Logged

Mike H.

Sven was right.
gibber!

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2008, 13:44:28 pm »

Excellent...!

“There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.”

1967 1500 Beetle
1970 Karmann Ghia

SSVWC member
Sarge

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2008, 14:27:45 pm »

BEAUTIFUL!!  Cool Cool Cool Grin

DKP III
Prowagen

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2008, 15:21:42 pm »

Thanks Mike, its a really good looking car love the gasser bits and the single paint colour its real clean and un cluttered looking.
Are the wings, decklid and bonnet all original???
I presume its a genuine 67 too?
Any interior shots?

Sorry to be so demanding  Smiley

Rob.
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2008, 15:40:06 pm »

i don't understand what he said  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes too much noise

http://speedwell55.skynetblogs.be/
oldspeed 61 standard empi/speedwell
javabug

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2008, 16:45:47 pm »

Here's one or three others:

I'll leave the rest up to Mike, since he needs to get a little active on here! 

Mike H.

Sven was right.
Jim Ratto

« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2008, 17:29:25 pm »

I LOVE THAT CAR.
Prowagen

« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2008, 17:36:32 pm »

Looks like the Auto Haus logo  Grin
roland

lates are the new splits...

« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2008, 18:19:08 pm »

I think it's the point!  Wink

Glitter don't make you faster.
Mike Maize

« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2008, 18:56:36 pm »

Hey all of this positive attention is nice Wink More info if you are interested>>>>The fenders are old parts I had to do some serious work on and the fronts are "really" paper thin (light). The hood was an NOS one that a guy in Idaho was nice enough to ship when the ad on the SAMBA said local pick up only. The 67 only Aronson decklid was an original from a swapmeet 20 miles from here in Pennsylvania...imagine that! I actually missed it on the first walkthrough and Mr. Dave Cormack who knew what I was trying to put together came over and told me there was a part I needed to see. He even started the offers at $20......The body of the car was an 80's cal-looker out of San Diego CA that had been white on the sides with Vitaloni mirrors, Formula France steering wheel and white empi 8 spokes .My friend bought the car for the pan and engine (it had been bumped in the fron and had a glass nose installed) and I got the body for beans when he moved back to the east coast. I repaired the front with factory metal, dechromed it and painted it all orange. It still has a cool 80's black velour headliner and door panels Shocked The seats are from an old Triumph that my friend gave me for my 40th birthday. It sits on an IRS pan with four wheel discs. It has a single sided zig zag cased super beetle close geared trans and a 2276 built by my buddy "Ohio" Tom Simpson. The engine is ABSOLUTELY streetable with 9.5 to 1 compression and an 86B, It runs cooler than my 2054 with 8to1 and a 110 in my convertible. Its got 5.5 H beams and a set of wedgeports under Italian IDA's. The engine and trans without even beginning to tune it any further than Tom had it on the stand has run a best of 12.98 at 102MPH. The "idea" of the car was to have the feel of a Dave Deal cartoon with all of the benefit of the technology that has become availble since that style was in. The car is an actual 67 and titled as such as well. Thanks again for the attention and I will try to post some interior shots and a video of a cat and mouse game with my son riding in my friends Lotus Elise on the way to the track.... Roll Eyes
Diederick/DVK

They're never done till they're sold

« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2008, 19:04:49 pm »

please do post some more on your 67! Smiley

Diederick
 -
Proud member of:
DVK ~ Der Vollgas Kreuzers
javabug

« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2008, 19:10:00 pm »

My friend bought the car for the pan and engine

hey isn't that pan under the car parked next to it?

Mike H.

Sven was right.
Mike Maize

« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2008, 20:29:44 pm »

As a matter of fact...it is....
Prowagen

« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2008, 21:05:00 pm »

The "idea" of the car was to have the feel of a Dave Deal cartoon with all of the benefit of the technology that has become availble since that style was in.

Well think you got that off to a tee! Looks awesome great performance to boot! I bet you have to be carful with those wings, what are they 1.5 inch wider than stock?
Is the Colour the VW orange that was around in the 7O's on GT model Bugs?

Rob.
Critter1

« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2008, 22:32:49 pm »

HOLY $H!T.... Mike, your car is damn near identical to my 67. The only difference is... yours is finished. I have the hood, deck lid, glasspack exhaust. I even modified the dash similar to they way you have yours. Wow, its neet to have all these ideas in my head for my car, and now to see one thats almost the same is very cool to me! Mine will be dove gray, with red interior.
Just seeing this thread is very motivating to me!!! Good times!

Where are you lacated?
Mike Maize

« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2008, 00:16:43 am »

i don't understand what he said  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes too much noise

After the Cuda did his burnout the commentator said "I don't know about this match up that Cuda sounds healthy!" I had just driven around the water and was going to test the track and the car because it was the first run of the night and I had just buttoned up the engine that day.
Mike Maize

« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2008, 00:22:13 am »

HOLY $H!T.... Mike, your car is damn near identical to my 67. The only difference is... yours is finished. I have the hood, deck lid, glasspack exhaust. I even modified the dash similar to they way you have yours. Wow, its neet to have all these ideas in my head for my car, and now to see one thats almost the same is very cool to me! Mine will be dove gray, with red interior.

Where are you lacated?
I am in the center of Pennsylvania...Cal-look central...LOL I had collected parts for this car for years way before this nostalgia thing started! I just wanted something "not so serious" with the power to back it up.
Critter1

« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2008, 00:34:48 am »

Where are you lacated?
I am in the center of Pennsylvania...Cal-look central...LOL I had collected parts for this car for years way before this nostalgia thing started! I just wanted something "not so serious" with the power to back it up.
We think alike! I'm in the middle of California and I too have been collecting old school parts for 4 years now. I'll bet it was a great feeling when you finally put all those parts together on one car!!
Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2008, 02:17:23 am »

It all works together so perfectly, I love your car Smiley

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
redbluebug

« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2008, 03:40:51 am »

Nice Grin
smurf67

« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2008, 09:39:47 am »

Awsome bug and love the toy machine sticker in the back window  Grin
javabug

« Reply #23 on: August 28, 2008, 12:54:45 pm »

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/1gBmvwyxFBs" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/1gBmvwyxFBs</a>

Mike H.

Sven was right.
Sarge

« Reply #24 on: August 28, 2008, 13:12:53 pm »

COOL VID!!! Cool Cool Cool  MM, your car looks awesome rollin' down the road!

DKP III
bathing ape

« Reply #25 on: August 28, 2008, 16:38:17 pm »

what a great looking bug
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #26 on: August 28, 2008, 18:53:23 pm »

lotus car Huh in the video

javabug

« Reply #27 on: August 28, 2008, 19:10:45 pm »

Yes, Lotus Elise.

Mike H.

Sven was right.
Jim Ratto

« Reply #28 on: August 28, 2008, 20:49:18 pm »

more I read this thread the more I get into this car.... Mike really, the feel of the car is perfect!
I reminds me of (and I mean this as a 150% compliment!) a Tonka toy or a small die cast hot rod VW.... in fact I think I had a Tonka Vw Bug very much like your car when I was 2 or 3 in 1972-ish....
Any other color, and the feeling would be lost. The finish of the alloys works perfect.

it pays to dare to be different.  Wink
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #29 on: August 28, 2008, 21:39:12 pm »

Wink

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: