The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 05, 2024, 07:43:40 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
351094 Posts in 28640 Topics by 6846 Members
Latest Member: JamesBoyd
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  berg 5 speed
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: berg 5 speed  (Read 3763 times)
nicolas

« on: October 26, 2008, 19:55:29 pm »

i wanted to know what is needed for a complete 5 speed.

right now i am able to buy a kit but there need to be some parts machined by berg or modified. i am not sure what work or price is involved to do all that.

so what i can make up is that it is a 'basic' kit and i still need to have my arms modified by berg. and i also need the pinion for the fifth gear. i am not sure what i am talking about here as i don't know much about the work involved. but all help or insight is welcome.

thanks
Donny B.

« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2008, 21:17:20 pm »

The main shaft and the pinion shaft need to be lengthened by the Bergs.  That should be included in the kit purchase.  You can buy a one piece main shaft from a few different sources so it won't need to be lengthened.  I had mine done a very long time ago.  The cost must be through the roof by now. 

Don Bulitta
Wolfsburg Registry
Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2008, 22:18:57 pm »

Most cost effective route is to buy a complete trans.... hopefully the gear ratios work in your favor!

Does Berg have the kits in stock right now?

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
Lee.C

I might be an Idiot but I'm not an Arsehole!

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2008, 00:23:15 am »

As far as I know the lenthened main sharft comes in the kit - they are no longer " lengthened" they are a new one piece item (so I was told) I'm not sure what else you'll need but keep me posted dude - you know I have an interest in this one Wink Smiley

You either "Get It" or you don't......
G-dog

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2008, 00:50:57 am »

I have a lengthened 5speed mainshaft that I did not use for sale....

Yeah I know-just another 67.....
redbluebug

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2008, 01:44:49 am »

As far as I know Bergs still lengthen the mainshaft. It depends on what you want your trans to do.  Are you looking for a ultra-close ratio for a high strung, narrow power band?  Or something a little less wild?  In my case I went all out with a new mainshaft.  About $500-550 a couple of years ago, I'm sure it's more now.   You can also have Bergs mate your stock mainshaft with a autostick shaft to make a closer ratio, but then you have a three piece shaft.

In the end how much  $$$ do you want to spend?
Sam K

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2008, 05:21:23 am »

I did quite a bit of research on 5 speed a coupe years ago and what I was told is that the lengthened mainshafts are fine for a milder engine, but two different people that I know broke them with high HP stroker engines and slicks. In the end, I decided to build a very tough 4 speed with stock ratios since I don't race my car much.
nicolas

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2008, 07:59:54 am »

thanks for all the help so far.

The main shaft and the pinion shaft need to be lengthened by the Bergs.  That should be included in the kit purchase.  You can buy a one piece main shaft from a few different sources so it won't need to be lengthened.  I had mine done a very long time ago.  The cost must be through the roof by now. 

i thought indeed it all would be included, but it is not... so that is why i ask all these questions here. the kit is not superexpensive so i thought it is good investment. i could benefit from the longer 5th and safe a lot off fuel from the lower rpms at highwayspeeds. but i am not all to sure if i can get all the parts needed and i am not planning on buying all parts seperately as it would be a lot more expensive to buy everything and have someone put it all together adequately...  Undecided

but if you have the missing parts i am always open to offers so PM me please.

Most cost effective route is to buy a complete trans.... hopefully the gear ratios work in your favor!

Does Berg have the kits in stock right now?
yeah i would like to buy one complete, but i have a good trans now that i could use as a basis and i have found the kit. but if i do find one complete it might be a better option in the end. and i found the set on the net, i have no idea what Berg makes at the moment nor for what price.

As far as I know the lenthened main sharft comes in the kit - they are no longer " lengthened" they are a new one piece item (so I was told) I'm not sure what else you'll need but keep me posted dude - you know I have an interest in this one Wink Smiley

i hope i can get more info as i want that 5 speed as well. i don't really know what speeds i can drive once i install my 3.88 RP with a 1.21 th... i hate it getting passed by by stock beetles on the freeway cruising at 4000...  Roll Eyes (maybe i could drive at 5000, steady  Roll Eyes
Bruce

« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2008, 16:01:23 pm »

I did "hear" that the one piece aftermarket mainshafts for B5s may not be available for much longer.  It was a one time manufacturing run and the sales of them do not warrant another batch.

You can still take a 4 speed aftermarket mainshaft with your custom gears and have it lengthened.

A lengthened mainshaft is no weaker than if it was in a 4 speed.  The extra length is way down at the 5th gear end.  There is no torque transmitted through the joint when in the first 4 gears.
axam48ida

« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2008, 05:53:16 am »

What ratio and how much? also is it for a early or late kit??

old bugs never die, they just get faster!!!
nicolas

« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2008, 21:17:49 pm »

get in line  Grin
Bruce

« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2008, 01:29:17 am »

Definitely a late kit.  I'm pretty sure it is a 3.78/2.06.
Udo

« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2008, 21:13:47 pm »

Nicolas

Do you want the 5-speed for racing or street use ? What engine do you have ?
I have a complete GB 5-speed kit with a new 3,87 ring and pinion including shifter . It only needs a 1,2, gearset and i am thinking about selling it

Udo

nicolas

« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2008, 21:26:35 pm »

Nicolas

Do you want the 5-speed for racing or street use ? What engine do you have ?
I have a complete GB 5-speed kit with a new 3,87 ring and pinion including shifter . It only needs a 1,2, gearset and i am thinking about selling it

Udo

the engine right now is a 1776. and i have a build gearbox with some good gears, but 4th is a 1.21 it has been dragraced but rebuild. i do want a berg 5, but i still want to be able to go racing. but not with slicks any time soon and a bigger engine is a bit on hold as well for now. but if i get a 5 speed i hope it can withstand some dragracing. please PM me for details regarding the transmission.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: