The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 05, 2024, 08:51:17 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
351094 Posts in 28640 Topics by 6846 Members
Latest Member: JamesBoyd
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  the DCN / DCNF tread
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: the DCN / DCNF tread  (Read 4555 times)
nicolas

« on: November 05, 2008, 21:59:22 pm »

trying to gather all the info on these babies all in one tread.

i know Lee is fidling around with some and i have been installing my 42's on the car.
so i have seen that the pumps have two holes to locate the shaft and mine are both in the number 2 hole. (hope this is not too late to help Lee)
they do opperate differently as the IDF's as they need to be pushed open insted off pulled. not sure if all owners do that, but that's how they work on my car for now.
i have the jets that were given to me with the carbs in them and they seem to be about right.
so i think jets are the same size as they should be in a IDF (mine are 55 idle, 135 main, 180 air, and f25 emulsion tubes)
they fit under the lid and still have a pretty long manifold. so i hope it will flow beatifully.

please post some pics off DCNFed engines as they look quite nice  Grin
vwxtc4free

« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2008, 22:44:36 pm »

Heres a pic of my 1776 w/42 dcnf's before the 2332 Ida motor that was initially in my oval.The Claudes Buggies air cleaners just fit with a slight tweak on side & cleared the rain catchers. Not and easy task with DCNF's or IDA's. Wink

It ran rich and didnt run well. Later found out that the choke block offs I put on it may have been at fault.Seems you must use a set screw to keep the choke valve closed.

Anyone know what is involved with the "Berg special "modification? Heard it has to do with float orientation and proper jetting.

Donny B.

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2008, 23:24:28 pm »

Anyone know what is involved with the "Berg special "modification? Heard it has to do with float orientation and proper jetting.

Gene told me that the DCNFs were the only carbs with a small enough idle circuit that could be opened up to match the VW engine.  I believe they drill progression holes in the idle circuit.  He also told me that the idle circuit is in play right up to almost wide open with the DCNFs.  I have used them for about 15 years now and love them.  The start enrichment circuit must be disabled for them to work properly.  If the start enrichment pistons come off their seats you end up with a very rich mixture load it up badly.

Don Bulitta
Wolfsburg Registry
Lee.C

I might be an Idiot but I'm not an Arsehole!

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2008, 23:52:18 pm »

Good idea dude - we need some more info on these Cool carbs (although dcn's are cooler Wink)

Here are a few old skool dcn/dcnf engines - enjoy  Grin (the fiirst and last are my favourites Wink)
« Last Edit: November 05, 2008, 23:58:25 pm by monkiboy » Logged

You either "Get It" or you don't......
Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2008, 01:29:46 am »

I used to have a pair of the cast aluminium stacks, but I traded them for the Berg stacks which I then had shortened & HPC coated. I really like how those AL stacks look though Smiley

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
vwxtc4free

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2008, 02:02:58 am »

I used to have a pair of the cast aluminium stacks, but I traded them for the Berg stacks which I then had shortened & HPC coated. I really like how those AL stacks look though Smiley

HAHA! Grin     I just went out and took pics of mine to ask if they were factory.

Most of the pics I've seen are with air cleaners or no stacks. Anyways I polished these up myself and always thought they looked as nice as Ida stacks. Good thread idea.

iowa mark

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2008, 04:27:21 am »

I played with a set of 36's on a 1600 for a while and although it idled smooth and ran down the road without even a hic-up, They had a dead spot when I stepped on them. The idea of progression holes makes me wish I still had them now. Undecided (Samba ad photo)

vwxtc4free

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2008, 14:01:30 pm »

Looks like someone raided the Berg catalog!  Grin

Donny B.

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2008, 14:39:10 pm »

Looks like someone raided the Berg catalog!

Looks like Jim Kikuchi's Ghia.  Buying Berg just makes sense to me...

Don Bulitta
Wolfsburg Registry
nicolas

« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2008, 19:44:46 pm »

i'll try to make some pics off the engine when daylight is still available... that means hopefully in the weekend.

but i also love the red bug with DCNF's that looks like an inspiration picture on your computer Lee...  Grin

i also like the ones with the Filstar filters from CB. i run those filters on my IDF's and they look really good. i wish i had a set for DCNF's. and the stacks are very cool. the higher ones with the notches are soooo cool. but the ones i got from Zach are the best stacks you can find for a type3 setup. a nice piece off work.

so i got the car running today after i found one carb was dirty and i didn't clean it as the other one was so clean. (still learning the hard way  Grin)
it runs very strong, but just off idle it bogs and has a dip. it may be the 34 vents are still some tuning that is needed to be done. the trottlelinkage is still not 100% to my liking so i have to adjust that a bit better this weekend.

in short i think these carbs definetely have at least the same potential as the 40 IDFs i was running until now. even the flatspot around 2800 RPMs till 3200 RPMs is gone. it accelerates more consistant.

Lee.C

I might be an Idiot but I'm not an Arsehole!

« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2008, 20:33:17 pm »

"but i also love the red bug with DCNF's that looks like an inspiration picture on your computer Lee... "

Look a little closer dude ........ I think you'll find they are DCN's  Undecided Smiley

So you have them all fitted and tested then - I found my old set up with the single came on the power around 2800rpm and I had no flat spots AT ALL  Grin

I can't wait to finish my new set - I will add a couple of new pic's to my "in da werks"thread

You either "Get It" or you don't......
besserwisser

« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2008, 23:20:00 pm »

I have a set of Berg 42-s on a Berg motor that I bought at Irwindale last year. With only 8.7 in compression the 1680 made 85 horses at JPM dyno day. I drove 6hours to get there and then home again. The only problem I have noticed is hitting the gas when turning hard. I guess it has to do with the floats beeing sideways instead of facinng forward as was intended in the first place. The heads have original size valves, berg/engle 110 kam and the rest to go with it. The previus motor in the car was a 1600 single port with a single DCN in the middle. The compression in that one was considerably higher and it made 60hp with a 296 degree cam and Bugpack 4046 springs. Now for the strange part. Last years motor had a used cam with new lifters. I set the play at zero with just being able to turn the pushrod. This summer I drove the car to Bug In in Belgium so before I left I checked the valves. Everythin was exactly the same as when I put it together. 3000 km later i take the motor out and nothing has changed. This is a car I use everyday and believe me I run the shit out of everything I build. So were does that put us in the mumbo jumbo breaking in cams and matching the lifters to the cam? YOU TELL ME. ?
volksnut

« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2008, 04:29:01 am »

Last years motor had a used cam with new lifters.

I never had any problems with a used cam and new lifters, been doing it for years
Torben Alstrup

« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2008, 11:51:52 am »

Last years motor had a used cam with new lifters.

I never had any problems with a used cam and new lifters, been doing it for years
Yes.
Its the other way around that gets........ -  well, interesting.
T
nicolas

« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2008, 14:40:13 pm »

allright i had mine cleaned in a 'sonic fryingpan' and they came out even better as before and now really work better. i only did a 10km trip with my son, but it was all good. no bogging at the take off or hesitation during accelleration.

but i have some quick questions:

1.  can it be that the engine runs hotter WITH aircleaners as without? even nothing else has been changed?

2. were can i get those beauties off stacks? i have really nice short ones, but i want the ones in the picture.  Grin
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: