The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 01, 2024, 15:41:24 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350869 Posts in 28606 Topics by 6828 Members
Latest Member: GSW Racing
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  socal trip 2001
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: socal trip 2001  (Read 2374 times)
Chuck Fryer

« on: November 15, 2008, 03:28:09 am »

I got an e-mail from a buddy (Fritter) telling me he was going trhough some old phots and ran across our trip from Chicago to socal in the summer of 2001. Now, that is not that long ago, but seems like forever. We logged about 5000 miles round trip in just undr 2 weeks, and had a BLAST! Yeah, sure, there were times we wanted to bury one guy or another in the desert, but all in all it was a ton of fun. Here are a few shots of the trip. I was 30 then and it did not seem like a big deal to drive that many miles without a/c or cruise control. We are thinking about doing it again. Do ya think I am up to it?
Chuck Fryer

« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2008, 03:30:08 am »

Some more pics
Matt H

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2008, 05:35:31 am »

Very cool Chuck. That was when they still did Knollwoods and we all stayed at La Quinta that year. Kind of wild to think your car went from 5000 mile trips to 11 second quarter mile time slips. That Cornpazer peer pressure will do thast to you Grin
redbluebug

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2008, 16:59:39 pm »

Awesome pics Chuck!  Looks like fun.  Grin

Shawn

nicolas

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2008, 20:34:27 pm »

very cool! it is so much more fun to do it in a beetle or 'old' car. if it was a trip off 5000 miles in a modern AC'ed car with all the modern comfort it would not be the same trip for sure.
that is the reason why i hold on so much on the fact to be able to drive my car on the street and make trips with it. no matter how much i need to 'compromise', not sure if it makes sense, but i know Lee feels the exact same way.
Lee.C

I might be an Idiot but I'm not an Arsehole!

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2008, 22:38:55 pm »

very cool! it is so much more fun to do it in a beetle or 'old' car. if it was a trip off 5000 miles in a modern AC'ed car with all the modern comfort it would not be the same trip for sure.
that is the reason why i hold on so much on the fact to be able to drive my car on the street and make trips with it. no matter how much i need to 'compromise', not sure if it makes sense, but i know Lee feels the exact same way.

Yep I sure do dude - Its ALL about driving to the events - its what makes all the hours in the garage and £/$ worth it  Grin
« Last Edit: November 15, 2008, 22:42:13 pm by monkiboy » Logged

You either "Get It" or you don't......
Chuck Fryer

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2008, 03:44:49 am »

You are correct Matt, that car made some huge moves is a few years. I had some friends over today and we were all standing around what is left of that car and talking about the rebuilding of it. Maybe this winter the paint and body will start!
Fritter

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2008, 06:24:58 am »

Hey the old "scrappy" version of my '65 with a 40 horse, wow! 

That was fun downshifting in the mountains and keeping pace for the dual carb motors in Chuck's '62 and Tom's '65 Herbie car.

Chuck you know you want to finish that new '62 ragtop you have......get moving man!!

Mike F.
'64 Indigo Blue sunroof Bug
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: