The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 05, 2024, 06:40:20 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
351094 Posts in 28640 Topics by 6846 Members
Latest Member: JamesBoyd
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  Subtle nuances of a club's look (vs. another club)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Subtle nuances of a club's look (vs. another club)  (Read 4588 times)
Jim Ratto

« on: November 18, 2008, 21:42:53 pm »

Something I've wondered about for a while now. Here's a post aimed at the guys that "were there", Sarge, Mahaffey, Mische, Bakken, Mark K, Dave Rhoads and Mr. Rosique.

Everybody knows the basic recipe for a Cal Look car no matter if it is 1970, 1975, 1980 or today. But-

What details marked the differences between say a DRF car and a DKP car? Or a DKP II and DSK or DKK car?
Things like preferences for brand of tire, or traction bar, or carb linkage? To the trained eye from those eras, could a guy tell which club a car hailed from, without looking at the window decals? What made the said mods "the way to go" for the rest of the club? If a DKP II guy ran running board moldings was he blacklisted, etc.?

Curious...

speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2008, 22:58:27 pm »

good questions jim  Roll Eyes

http://speedwell55.skynetblogs.be/
oldspeed 61 standard empi/speedwell
Jim Ratto

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2008, 23:33:34 pm »

where's your grandpa?  Roll Eyes Shocked Grin
Sarge

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2008, 23:36:21 pm »

where's your grandpa?  Roll Eyes Shocked Grin

Angry

DKP III
Sarge

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2008, 00:51:41 am »

I suppose one thing about DKP was we never allowed fiberglass fenders like a lot of the other clubs.  We weren't big on shag carpeting, tinted glass, kitsche accessories, or wheels that required adapters.  Our whole deal revolved around simple, clean and fast.  Most all of us used Berg or DDS equipment on our cars... the Auto Haus / Race Trim knock-off stuff was scorned.  Over at DRF, it seemed like more guys spent their cash on paint jobs rather then performance equipment.... things weren't taken quite so seriously over there.

DKP III
Lee.C

I might be an Idiot but I'm not an Arsehole!

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2008, 01:42:50 am »

"the Auto Haus / Race Trim knock-off stuff was scorned."  oooooh so I would get in then  Cheesy Wink Smiley

I'll stick to the "Rules" with PROJRCT 66 Wink Smiley

You either "Get It" or you don't......
Jim Ratto

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2008, 01:53:17 am »

"the Auto Haus / Race Trim knock-off stuff was scorned."  oooooh so I would get in then  Cheesy Wink Smiley

I don't think DKP allowed SPG's in Lee....  Grin Grin Grin Grin

kidding dude!
Sarge

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2008, 01:57:30 am »

kidding dude!

Shocked Shocked Shocked Grin Grin Grin

DKP III
Lee.C

I might be an Idiot but I'm not an Arsehole!

« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2008, 02:08:22 am »

kidding dude!

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy oh wait a minute Aronson ran one  Wink Smiley

You either "Get It" or you don't......
ian c

« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2008, 02:41:58 am »

wasnt it hectors old club that said the car should be lowered all round ??

Wink
Cheesy

i spent half my money on beer , cars , and women .

the other half , i just wasted .

(o\ ! /o)
Rennsurfer

D.B.O. Not a club; a state of mind.

« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2008, 02:53:54 am »

I remember the rules when I got in the club. Well, most of 'em, anyway. What I do remember is that no car could sit at stock height, no two-tone paint (towards the end, that was lifted), no flamed paint (I think), and certain wheels weren't allowed. I'm pretty sure that stock wheels were a no-no when I got in, as well. The bottom line was... you had to have a finished car. I was in the middle of getting my naugahyde headliner installed, but I still got voted in. I was flattered, honored, and beyond stoked. And actually, was fully prepared to wait till that last piece of my interior was in. But they saw how serious I was about completing my car and it was the last component.

Besides having a decent looking Cal Look VW, my club also voted in who they wanted. Again, I was happy when I was handed my club stickers and shirts. I don't remember if there were any requirements regarding the engine. All that I remember was that big engines were encouraged but as long as the car was clean, detailed, and show worthy... that, and you had to be able to keep up with the fun factor that everyone indulged in. Scott "Worm" Blaydes said it best, "We were just a bunch of 19yr. old knuckleheads with fun cars on a mission to have fun." Or something like that. He sums it up the best, I reckon. When I look back on those great memories, that's what I feel and remember the most. So, today, when people approach me and ask me what it was like to be in a great club that was heavily influenced by D.K.P. I poach Scott's line and reply with that... 'cause it's the honest truth. We really WERE (and still are) just a bunch of knuckleheads havin' fun; period. Sure, we all share(d) the same passion for these cars, but it ran (and still does) much deeper beyond that. I ended up making friends for life. Some of which I've been lucky enough to remain in contact with. And others, I'm still re-connecting with.

At the risk of sounding warm/fuzzy/sappy/etc. THANKS, DEEKS, FOR EVERYTHING! I wouldn't change a thing or trade those great times for anything.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2008, 02:55:32 am by DKK_Fred » Logged

"You can only scramble an egg so many ways."
~Sarge
Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2008, 03:49:24 am »

I'd be right along side of you Lee!! And proud to be there!! Cheesy

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
Dave Rosique

nobodyouno

« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2008, 05:47:34 am »

Good post Jim...

My club, Keep on Buggin' had the usual rules... you had to be invited to join, had to attend four meetings in a row, you were asked to step outside the "Clubhouse" when you were voted in or out, etc.
Your car had to be painted, have custom rims, extractor exhaust, and complete interior to qualify for KOB decals... typical car club stuff.

The club was somewhat divided when I joined between the original wide tire (or tyre Wink), flaired fender croud VS the "Stock Look" (now known as Cal-Look) guys... Some cars were every bit as nice, clean, fast, and right on par with the Orange County croud (read: DKP, etc). Others were just as clean and fast, but in a wide tire / flair fender style. Many of the early cars had pinstriping by some of the best (Shaky Jake, etc).

The trend definately leaned toward Cal-Look in the later years... I would say 90% of the cars were Cal-Look when I left the club around 1979.

In my case, It's hard to specifically answer your question given KOB's diversity.

~DR.
John Rayburn

Der Kleiner Panzers

« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2008, 07:33:46 am »

Dave, post up some shots of the Ghia!

I also park at Nick's.
Dave Rosique

nobodyouno

« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2008, 17:48:55 pm »

Dave, post up some shots of the Ghia!

Funny you should mention that John.

I need to learn how to scan and shrink photos... I feel so inept Embarrassed

~DR.
Shubee2 (DSK)

"There's No School Like OLD SCHOOL"

« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2008, 18:29:32 pm »

Well When I was in DVB back in 1975 the Cal Look was Coming on Strong they had cars  with 1641's with a holley or zenith right up to a full Bore 2180 with IDA's But DVB was a VW Owners Club They Had Rules but also allowed Buses,Type 3's,Baja's and anything VW could Run Decals Which I hated so in 1976 about ten of us left DVB and Started DSK we Were all Cal Look Nuts at that Time we also wrote the Rules for the Club which is much the same as DKP I and DKP II 's Rules we also went by Qualtiy not Quanty if a Member had a car in the works it was not allowed to run club Stickers till it was done all cars had to pass a Club inspection to meet the high Standards of the Club if your car was done and got hit or scratched club decal's had to come off till it was fixed as far as I can Remember there were never many primered cars showing up at Club Ralley's from any clubs alot of new car showed up at club Ralley's as far as compairing DKPII and DRF both Clubs had nice Cars but Roger Crawford being a member of DRF alway Brought something fast out to the Ralley's to Race The Best Part Of The Old Days Was The Starting Place Of The Ralley's Most Started at Montgomery Wards on Harbor and Orangethrope The Clubs would Caravan To The Rallys and as they entered the Parking lot Each Car Would Do A Nice Burn Out!!!  What A Rush Grin Grin  I which I culd Go Back In Time Those VW Days Were the Best!!  You Could Alway's Ask Scott Bakken as he was a Member of DVB,DSK, DKP III  he has been into VW's since he was a little Tike LOL
« Last Edit: November 19, 2008, 18:32:11 pm by Shubee2 (DSK) » Logged

Der Selten Kafers VW Club.
Founding Member Est: 1976

58 Ragtop Old School Cal Look
66 Cal Look Drag Car
67 Resto Cal Look
67 Chevy II Nova L79
02 Camaro Vert!
04 Corvette Vert!
04 Colorado Pickup
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »