The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 25, 2024, 20:12:49 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350941 Posts in 28616 Topics by 6833 Members
Latest Member: Johan_f72
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  EMPI 88mm Birals
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: EMPI 88mm Birals  (Read 2185 times)
fish

« on: December 01, 2008, 07:37:52 am »

Hi all, has anyone used the Empi Aluminium fin 88A machine-in full skirt P/B kit with any degree of success?

Thinking of using a set for my Resto-Cal 66' in a industrial 1300TP case, K7, Magnums, 1.5 Erson rockers, Cro-mo pushrods, semi-hemi heads, 36idf, etc etc.

head

ports

66' deluxe

cheers

Had a fight with a Magneto, it won!
deano

« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2008, 16:38:03 pm »

This goes way back, but years ago, Greg Aronson drove a 356 Cabo around town, and it was an 82x88 killer with slipper skirt pistons with an Engle 125, and the first dual muffler setup! Well, the slipper skirts did not fair to well on the street for oil control, so he replaced the pistons with full skirt Empi 88s, but retained the biral aluminum cylinders. Better. But then he went the other way to tame that beast down and took off the 48 IDAs, and stuck on some 40DCNFs, and finally, a stock weight flywheel.

Hot VWs Magazine Window Washer
Anglia Obsolete Guru
'67 Heaven
Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2008, 17:50:03 pm »

I think in the How To Hot Rod VW Engines book it says that the rings on the slipper skirts are too narrow... better suited for a race engine. Being that yours are full round skirts, you shouldn't have any issues- but I would use larger carbs Wink I'm going to give the slippers a try... someday. 88x82 Smiley
« Last Edit: December 01, 2008, 18:04:47 pm by Zach Gomulka » Logged

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
nicolas

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2008, 23:11:14 pm »

I think in the How To Hot Rod VW Engines book it says that the rings on the slipper skirts are too narrow... better suited for a race engine. Being that yours are full round skirts, you shouldn't have any issues- but I would use larger carbs Wink I'm going to give the slippers a try... someday. 88x82 Smiley

OR you can leave all the hard descisions to me and ship them to Belgium.

Grin
fish

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2008, 23:47:25 pm »

I've always wanted to build a mouse motor aka JP, maybe there's a chance of using the kit for that, a wilder cam and some 48IDA, vertex mag, 10lb flywheel, old skool baby. Grin

Car is currently getting narrowed front end, AMS disk brake kit and Empi 5 spokes. Going for period Cal-Resto.

Biral kit came with some Nostalgia single port heads, semi-hemi with slight port work. Anyone interested?

Had a fight with a Magneto, it won!
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: