The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 05, 2024, 06:39:16 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
351094 Posts in 28640 Topics by 6846 Members
Latest Member: JamesBoyd
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Tyre kicking
| |-+  Off Topic
| | |-+  british work ethic during these difficult times.....
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: british work ethic during these difficult times.....  (Read 3730 times)
jick

« on: January 14, 2009, 13:44:28 pm »

i need new rain gutters for my Model A coupe...i have the diagrams & dimensions to make them.....people on the HAMB get them made or do it themselves all the time.

so this week so far i've been in contact with 4 different sheet metal fabrication places......they all say it's a bit too tricky and they're not interested........i even tried to have a bunch made to sell on in case the job was to small for them......still no. guys are making these in their home workshops in a couple of hours!

at the same time i asked about making some long tapered exhaust megaphones for the coupe.........not a chance!

i've also tried two local mobile auto-electricians to come to my workshop & sort the wiring out on my '59 ........neither is interested. "old cars are too much hassle mate"

whats wrong with people in this country?  Roll Eyes

danny gabbard

gabfab

« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2009, 14:39:58 pm »

Do you have a picture or sample of the rain gutters needed to be made?

A poor craftsman, Blame's it on poor tools.  GAB-FAB shop # 775 246-3069
Lee.C

I might be an Idiot but I'm not an Arsehole!

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2009, 15:35:46 pm »

i need new rain gutters for my Model A coupe...i have the diagrams & dimensions to make them.....people on the HAMB get them made or do it themselves all the time.

so this week so far i've been in contact with 4 different sheet metal fabrication places......they all say it's a bit too tricky and they're not interested........i even tried to have a bunch made to sell on in case the job was to small for them......still no. guys are making these in their home workshops in a couple of hours!

at the same time i asked about making some long tapered exhaust megaphones for the coupe.........not a chance!

i've also tried two local mobile auto-electricians to come to my workshop & sort the wiring out on my '59 ........neither is interested. "old cars are too much hassle mate"
 th
whats wrong with people in this country?  Roll Eyes

DON'T GET ME STARTED ON THIS ONE DUDE!!!!!!! Angry

A while ago I drew up some really cool designs for a set of Carb trumpets for my Weber DCN - They would look SOOOOOOOOO cool as they have 2 square type holes on the top of the carb and the trumpets would flare out from these Grin

I did proper technical drawings with ALL sizes/dimension/angles etc etc and EVERYONE I spoke to about CNC'ing them just said "Its not worth doin!" or "Thats too much work!" - WTF!!!!!!!!

Now for a start it IS worth doing because I want it doing!!! and secondly surely if its gonna be that that much work then thats a GOOD thing as you can charge me more money!!! I really don't understand the mentality of some companies  Roll Eyes Smiley

You either "Get It" or you don't......
Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2009, 17:42:23 pm »

Make them yourself(?)

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
Harry/FDK

Every Rule Was Made To Break, Even Callook...

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2009, 18:59:34 pm »

Same here, theyre still cashing in too easily....  Youre asking them for a well prepared (Like Lee's) project
it's either: For a Bug ?? How many ??   To much work. I was prepared to pay 400 EU to have my rear fenders
and apron repainted. Guy told me he didn't feel like to have his spray gun filled/cleaned for such a small job.
WTF.

Done ? Not Yet.
Lee.C

I might be an Idiot but I'm not an Arsehole!

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2009, 19:25:52 pm »

Make them yourself(?)

Thats exactly what I thought - Thats why I've started looking at "Home Milling Machines"

http://grizzly.com/products/G8689  Wink Smiley

You either "Get It" or you don't......
Lids

show me the chedder

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2009, 22:59:23 pm »

In a few months time they might ring you back.  When all the orders have dried up, the bank won't lend them any money, and shit they have bills to pay.  Manufacturing looks like its going tits up, If somebody asks you to work and just asks how much, surely thats an open invitation.

Is the auto electrician talking himself out of all future work, nobody is buying new cars, so soon they will all be old.

If there's enough horse shit around, there must be a pony!
Buy your ciderberry here.

http://www.thatcherscider.co.uk/
jick

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2009, 11:46:46 am »

Make them yourself(?)

i could (and might) make them myself......here's why i wasn't going to......

i live in a flat with no outside space/garage/shed etc etc , which is 130 miles away from my workshop.
it really fustrates me that i'm not able to get stuff done on my cars on a daily basis, or whenever i feel like it.....i thought it would be a simple job for someone else to make them for me so that when i next have the chance to actually go to the workshop i'm a step ahead.
i dont want my '29 to take 10 years like my '59 has.

Lids

show me the chedder

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2009, 18:22:50 pm »

59 is almost 3 times 29, therefore it will take you 30yrs to complete!  Grin

If there's enough horse shit around, there must be a pony!
Buy your ciderberry here.

http://www.thatcherscider.co.uk/
jick

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2009, 22:32:16 pm »

dont even joke about it dude... Roll Eyes

that means i can drive it when i'm 68... Shocked

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: