The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 01, 2024, 19:00:36 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350869 Posts in 28606 Topics by 6828 Members
Latest Member: GSW Racing
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  Rear brakes - Anyone done this before?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Rear brakes - Anyone done this before?  (Read 6685 times)
ACSwede/DBR

« on: January 22, 2009, 13:07:31 pm »

The big brown truck delivered new brake parts from the "Fatherland" yesterday - Type 1 >68 drums with 5x205 bolt pattern (I'm after the increase in breaking power by the 40mm wide brake linings).

They do look "beefy" and will most certainly increase breaking power by at least 2 times Roll Eyes Cool...

I'm running short axles and short splines - Hence the drums are due for the lathe prior to assembly (cut 11mm off the snout)...when checking them out I immediately get concerned when thinking of taking 11mms off the snout based on how they look - Will it possibly leave too little material left and impact robustness? Have anyone done this and can share experience/result?

(the lathe is started - any speedy responses highly appreciated Grin)

Thanks in advance.

//Nick

Shubee2 (DSK)

"There's No School Like OLD SCHOOL"

« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2009, 16:50:50 pm »

The Brake Drum in the Picture is a Bus Drum for 67 and older type II  are you putting these on a Bettle?

Der Selten Kafers VW Club.
Founding Member Est: 1976

58 Ragtop Old School Cal Look
66 Cal Look Drag Car
67 Resto Cal Look
67 Chevy II Nova L79
02 Camaro Vert!
04 Corvette Vert!
04 Colorado Pickup
Neil Davies

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2009, 17:07:31 pm »

Nick, I've done it with my old race car and it was fine. I did need spacers inside the drum though.

2007cc, 48IDFs, street car. 14.45@93 on pump fuel, treads, muffler and fanbelt. October 2017!
ACSwede/DBR

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2009, 17:41:15 pm »

The Brake Drum in the Picture is a Bus Drum for 67 and older type II  are you putting these on a Bettle?
That's EXACTLY what struck me when I opened the boxes! (ordered as, and marked on the box as "Type1 >68 5x205"). Made in Germany by Sebro. Yes, the plan is for an upgrade in the rear end of the current project...

Nick, I've done it with my old race car and it was fine. I did need spacers inside the drum though.

Thanks for speedy response!...Just a question to clarify (based on above) - Did yours look like the one in the picture?...because like Shubee2 (DSK) I believed them being T2 <67...

I'm confused Huh Huh...

//Nick

benssp

www.callookvw.com

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2009, 19:59:14 pm »

Are there any part numbers ###-501-615, could be from a 181/thing/trekker Grin

www.vwheritage.com  My Job
www.bernardnewbury.co.uk My Team
any work related enquiries to ben@vwheritage.com PM's about work will not be answered Cheesy

Bitburg Motor Boat Club Founder Member

YMCA
Dave Rosique

nobodyouno

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2009, 20:15:29 pm »

That's EXACTLY what struck me when I opened the boxes! (ordered as, and marked on the box as "Type1 >68 5x205"). Made in Germany by Sebro. Yes, the plan is for an upgrade in the rear end of the current project...

Thanks for speedy response!...Just a question to clarify (based on above) - Did yours look like the one in the picture?...because like Shubee2 (DSK) I believed them being T2 <67...

I'm confused Huh Huh...

//Nick

Type II for sure.

~DR.
benssp

www.callookvw.com

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2009, 20:43:10 pm »

looking on the CSP website, they're the same drum,211-501-615/A...........we were both right Grin

www.vwheritage.com  My Job
www.bernardnewbury.co.uk My Team
any work related enquiries to ben@vwheritage.com PM's about work will not be answered Cheesy

Bitburg Motor Boat Club Founder Member

YMCA
ACSwede/DBR

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2009, 21:53:20 pm »

Mystery SOLVED!   Grin

I just found that CSP also carries these drums http://www.csp-shop.de/cgi-bin/shop2/shop_main.cgi?func=start&wkid=31278228983. CSP partnumber 501 615 211AG (or in VW-terms 211AG 615 501)...where by it in fact is a T2 based casting based on the 211... and the AG is the unique thing in this case making it a custom made drum enabling running the wider (40mm) linings!

I ordered them without having seen a picture of them and therefore the "surprise" when opening the boxes believing them to be T2...should be a "bolt on" (besides a cut in the lathe to match short splines) in combination with matching backing plates...we'll see Roll Eyes Grin

I guess I may have jumped the gun Roll Eyes...but I honestly thought I had the wrong thing for a moment...

Thanks everyone!
« Last Edit: January 23, 2009, 07:55:46 am by ACSwede » Logged

Shubee2 (DSK)

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2009, 18:07:41 pm »

Mystery SOLVED!   Grin

I just found that CSP also carries these drums http://www.csp-shop.de/cgi-bin/shop2/shop_main.cgi?func=start&wkid=31278228983. CSP partnumber 501 615 211AG (or in VW-terms 211AG 615 501)...where by it in fact is a T2 based casting based on the 211... and the AG is the unique thing in this case making it a custom made drum enabling running the wider (40mm) linings!

I ordered them without having seen a picture of them and therefore the "surprise" when opening the boxes believing them to be T2...should be a "bolt on" (besides a cut in the lathe to match short splines) in combination with matching backing plates...we'll see Roll Eyes Grin

I guess I may have jumped the gun Roll Eyes...but I honestly thought I had the wrong thing for a moment...

Thanks everyone!
The VW Part# is 211-615-501A for A type II Drum The letter after that tells where it is made (G)= German (B) = Brazil Ect.  Those are BUS Drums

66 Cal Look Drag Car
67 Resto Cal Look
67 Chevy II Nova L79
02 Camaro Vert!
04 Corvette Vert!
04 Colorado Pickup
Shubee2 (DSK)

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2009, 18:30:14 pm »

Mystery SOLVED!   Grin

Thanks everyone!
The VW Part# is 211-615-501A for A type II Drum The letter after that tells where it is made (G)= German (B) = Brazil Ect.  Those are BUS Drums
Just looked at CSP's Website To Me it looks the same as the early model THING drum turned down the fit a 68 and later  long axle long spline I dont think you can cut them down to fit a short spline short axel I would Ask GUNTER at CSP
« Last Edit: January 23, 2009, 22:23:35 pm by Shubee2 (DSK) » Logged

66 Cal Look Drag Car
67 Resto Cal Look
67 Chevy II Nova L79
02 Camaro Vert!
04 Corvette Vert!
04 Colorado Pickup
ACSwede/DBR

« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2009, 20:44:27 pm »

Quote from: Shubee2 (DSK)
Just looked at CSP's Website To Me it lloks the same as the early model THING drum turned down the fit a 68 and later  long axle long spline I dont think you can cut them down to fit a short spline short axel I would Ask GUNTER at CSP

Thanks for responses!

Anyways, the lathe was fired up this morning Cool...Shaved the snout 13mms...
Will this fly Huh Huh...well, based on mainly two things I believe so, namely:
- There is more spline left post cutting this drum vs. a stock T1 drum. Cut to make sure I left as much as possible yet ensuring correct axle nut assembly.
- Eventhough "adapted"/cut for short splines there is PLENTY of goods/"meat" and cast reinforcements (campared to a T1 drum for example).

I agree with you Shubee2 - Asking GUNTER is a good idea! If you read this GUNTER please chime in and share any experiences/facts/advice

I certainly hope I haven't learned something "the hard way" Cry Cry Grin Grin Grin Grin ...and if I did, I guess I've at least made sure no one else in the Cal Look community makes the same mistake...

Thanks,
Nick

Neil Davies

« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2009, 22:14:03 pm »

I'm confused Huh Huh...

//Nick

Ah, I couldn't see the picture earlier! Mine were regular T1-style drums, sorry! I did use later brake part though, the late, widest shoes I could get, hence the spacer.

2007cc, 48IDFs, street car. 14.45@93 on pump fuel, treads, muffler and fanbelt. October 2017!
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: