The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 06, 2024, 03:53:53 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350885 Posts in 28608 Topics by 6828 Members
Latest Member: GSW Racing
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  48IDA float setting.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: 48IDA float setting.  (Read 5080 times)
67worshipper

« on: February 17, 2009, 19:05:12 pm »

im going to take my carbs off shortly to have a look inside.while im doing it im going to check the float level settings.im getting a tool from a friend (thanks max)to do this (gene berg) is this all i need? has anybody found a useful guide to doing this? ive got the weber book by bob tomlinson and the details are in there for the height settings.also ive read about a fuel level hydraulic check with a vernier caliper and a torch.is this the same method but different approach or completely different? many thanks

vw hot rod heaven
Lids

show me the chedder

« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2009, 19:40:52 pm »

the only thing i have been told is to set the floats whilst they're in the car.  The stance of the car will make a difference.

I have the GB instructions that I can scan 4 u.  Let me know.

If there's enough horse shit around, there must be a pony!
Buy your ciderberry here.

http://www.thatcherscider.co.uk/
Jim Ratto

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2009, 19:47:33 pm »

The Haynes manual, in my opinion, has the best "how to" on setting the IDA's floats.

I use their method, using a small piece of vacuum tubing to hold float in place after you get it set to 5.5-6.0mm above carb body (you need the crest of the float, not the seam, to be positioned 5.5-6.0mm above top of carb body (w/o gasket). I use a depth mike to check tab height (which if memory serves me, should be 24.2mm down from top of carb body). I used to use that Gene Berg tool, but to me it easier doing it with depth mike and the tubing. You can use vernier calipers in place of depth mike, just use a feeler gauge across carb body to check height from (and subtract the thickness of feeler).
I use a vernier to check needle valve height, which, again, if I can remember, with washer should be 25.0mm.

I never got that way of doing it through the jet wells and a flashlight. I understand what they're trying to do, but how do you know the measurements?

Hope this helps!
Jim Ratto

67worshipper

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2009, 21:10:49 pm »

thanks guys.is it easier on the bench or in the car?

vw hot rod heaven
Jim Ratto

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2009, 22:02:09 pm »

on the bench for me
Gary R

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2009, 04:31:20 am »

im going to take my carbs off shortly to have a look inside.while im doing it im going to check the float level settings.im getting a tool from a friend (thanks max)to do this (gene berg) is this all i need? has anybody found a useful guide to doing this? ive got the weber book by bob tomlinson and the details are in there for the height settings.also ive read about a fuel level hydraulic check with a vernier caliper and a torch.is this the same method but different approach or completely different? many thanks

Hi Barry,can't help with your query  but glad to see the Bob Tomlinson book is getting some useage!..just got some 48's for mine but i'll be getting Pete to sort them out when my engine is back together..oh,and i'm getting another car to put it in Cool Cheers, Gary.
67worshipper

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2009, 09:45:44 am »

yes the books very good gary.what engine are you putting into what car then gar? are you selling tims old looker then?

vw hot rod heaven
67worshipper

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2009, 21:51:17 pm »

i know this is an old topic but i removed my carbs today for a float level check.i used gene berg items to check borrowed from a friend.(cheers max) upon removal and checking both float heights were way below what they should have been.i would say roughly that they were 1 or 2 mm at the most above the carb body.my question is this..........would this have caused the flubbering and stuttering when moving from the idle circuit to the main jet circuit? ive started it and it seems better when revving but ive not test drove it yet.thanks in advance

vw hot rod heaven
Bruce

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2009, 23:06:11 pm »

yes
67worshipper

« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2009, 23:10:46 pm »

thanks for your indepth answer bruce Cheesy Grin Wink

vw hot rod heaven
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: