The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 30, 2024, 09:00:45 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350869 Posts in 28606 Topics by 6827 Members
Latest Member: bmwjaguare5
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  New to the Lounge - here's a short story
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: New to the Lounge - here's a short story  (Read 8420 times)
OgCalLook

Straight outa Riverside!

« on: March 06, 2009, 03:48:24 am »

Diggin the site! so I thought I might contribute a little.

I grew up in Riverside, my Family had VWs, and VWs were everywhere in 1975. First car was a 58 bug and I wanted to learn to work on it so.....
Still in high school, I went to work for a guy who just started a shop (he was a Factory trained wrench at economotors) I learned service work and worked my way up to rebuilding engines, building rails, Baja bugs.

Looking back, some of the highlights were going to Bug-ins, going to Empi's garage sale when they closed and buying boxes of steering wheels and 5 spokes cheap!
One day John from fourtuned swung by in a split, (might of been an Oval, can't remember) but it had BRMs and a 2180 - coolest car I had ever seen, I think I was 16 years old. That planted a seed For sho!!

Fourtuned was down the street, Leighton and Fumio were across town. Riverside was heavy into the offroad scene, but Orange County was where the cool cars were. Everytime I'd go to Bergs or FAT Performance I'd see the Badass bugs on the street and that inspired me to build my 67 CalLook sedan.

Switched gears, got into Construction, wife, kids, ended up in Denver, got back into the scene about 4 years ago. Gotta pretty sweet Og paint & 54K mile 66 Beetle that I'm building a 2110 for right now.

Tom Hewitson
Bahama Blau Kafer

Zach Gomulka: "California Look is walking softly and carrying a big fucking stick."
Sam K

« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2009, 03:52:32 am »

Hi Tom! I'm glad to see you're on here.

-Sam
javabug

WHAT'S UP WID DA BOOM BOOM???

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2009, 03:58:39 am »

The old '67 looks killer.  Real cool stuff.

Mike H.

Sven was right.
OgCalLook

Straight outa Riverside!

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2009, 04:03:25 am »

Hi Tom! I'm glad to see you're on here.

-Sam

what up Sam!
Eddie and I were talking the other day about Fourtuned Exhaust and I thought I might share an old story.

Tom Hewitson
Bahama Blau Kafer

Zach Gomulka: "California Look is walking softly and carrying a big fucking stick."
OgCalLook

Straight outa Riverside!

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2009, 04:08:30 am »

Thanks, I was pretty proud of that car - that pic is from 1977 - ouch I'm old Shocked

Tom Hewitson
Bahama Blau Kafer

WCB Hitler's Hot Rod

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2009, 05:53:39 am »

Great! Thanks for posting.

WARNING! BE PREPARED FOR A ROLLING BLACKOUT.

West Coast Blitz... "Motha Sucka!"

You may have some Swag, but I OWN da Swagoo!!

This right here is my 'lil Nazi-killa!
Neil Davies

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2009, 10:19:38 am »

Thanks, I was pretty proud of that car - that pic is from 1977 - ouch I'm old Shocked

Ooh, that's the year I was born! Cheesy Awesome car though! What colour? Smiley

2007cc, 48IDFs, street car. 14.45@93 on pump fuel, treads, muffler and fanbelt. October 2017!
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2009, 11:44:14 am »

welcome to the lounge and by the way very cool 67
 Wink

fabs

http://speedwell55.skynetblogs.be/
oldspeed 61 standard empi/speedwell
ESH

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2009, 11:45:57 am »

Sounds like a good neighbourhood to have been living in one way or another, welcome to the Lounge. Smiley
nicolas

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2009, 12:32:18 pm »

hey, welcome.

i sure hope the 66 gets the same treatment as the 67 did in 77. really cool. altough i have to say/admit that the turnsignals are a thing off the past...  Grin ask Sarge he knows that by now.

Sarge

« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2009, 13:37:08 pm »

..... "altough i have to say/admit that the turnsignals are a thing off the past...  Grin ask Sarge he knows that by now."

sigh.... Roll Eyes  Welcome to the Lounge, Tom... here's hoping you have thick skin Wink.  Old guys get beat down pretty bad around here... watch out for Fastbrit; he's always on me for some reason. Roll Eyes  Nice cars you have!  I spent five years working at Sierra / Colley Porsche Audi in the mid 70's and really enjoyed the Riverside vibe... got to know a lot of the local VW guys, too.  Have fun here; it's the best place to be!

DKP III
Lee.C

I might be an Idiot but I'm not an Arsehole!

« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2009, 13:49:29 pm »

Welcome to the Lounge dude - I'm pretty sure you'll fit right in here  Wink Smiley

You either "Get It" or you don't......
Nico86

Turnip engine.

« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2009, 18:27:27 pm »

It was an awesome cal-look, you have more pics maybe ? And welcome to the Lounge.  Cool

OgCalLook

Straight outa Riverside!

« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2009, 19:57:33 pm »

Thanks everyone for the welcome and the props!

I repainted the 67 - Factory color Java Green

I installed clear Hella lenses on the 66, so they don't pop as much Smiley

Tom Hewitson
Bahama Blau Kafer

OgCalLook

Straight outa Riverside!

« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2009, 20:07:11 pm »

It was an awesome cal-look, you have more pics maybe ? And welcome to the Lounge.  Cool

I'll try to dig some pics up and get them scanned - unfortunately back in the day I didn't take many pic Sad

Tom Hewitson
Bahama Blau Kafer

OgCalLook

Straight outa Riverside!

« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2009, 20:22:43 pm »

..... "altough i have to say/admit that the turnsignals are a thing off the past...  Grin ask Sarge he knows that by now."

sigh.... Roll Eyes  Welcome to the Lounge, Tom... here's hoping you have thick skin Wink.  Old guys get beat down pretty bad around here... watch out for Fastbrit; he's always on me for some reason. Roll Eyes  Nice cars you have!  I spent five years working at Sierra / Colley Porsche Audi in the mid 70's and really enjoyed the Riverside vibe... got to know a lot of the local VW guys, too.  Have fun here; it's the best place to be!

Might as well get the beat down over with then Grin
I'm sure I met you then - buying parts (not buying 911s!!) The 2 piece 5 spokes were bolted up with porsche studs - I paid a grip for thoses 14mm studs and had FAT press them in.

I used to work for Car Craft - they are still around today - just into turbo sand cars. I think Godfrey is racing a vintage 69 camaro.

Tom Hewitson
Bahama Blau Kafer

Frenchy Dehoux

« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2009, 22:09:00 pm »

Welcome to the lounge Tom nice story you have.

Take care
   Frenchy

Doctor Detail ( Retired )
Rennsurfer

D.B.O. Not a club; a state of mind.

« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2009, 02:37:50 am »

Welcome to The Lounge, Tom. Really diggin' on your '66. I'm a huge fan of that year. Did you say that the paint is still factory on that? Either way, COOL looking car. I did the opposite... had two '66 Beetles and now, 24 years later, own a '67 Beetle.

Like Sarge pointed out; you'll have a good time here. Good to see another car with the factory turn indicators up front. To each their own... but I've always dug on 'em. Keep the car pics coming, too.

"You can only scramble an egg so many ways."
~Sarge
Brandon Sinclair

« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2009, 03:18:51 am »

Welcome to the lounge Tom.  I  just stumbled onto this site a week ago and I am glad I did.  Great rides, great stories and great people!  Nice looking ride!

Hey Jim Ratto, if you read this I tried to email you about the piston rings but I am not sure if it ever got through.   Can you PM me or email me?  Thanks
OgCalLook

Straight outa Riverside!

« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2009, 04:02:46 am »

Welcome to the lounge Tom nice story you have.

Take care
   Frenchy

Thanks Frenchy -

Welcome to The Lounge, Tom. Really diggin' on your '66. I'm a huge fan of that year. Did you say that the paint is still factory on that? Either way, COOL looking car. I did the opposite... had two '66 Beetles and now, 24 years later, own a '67 Beetle.

Like Sarge pointed out; you'll have a good time here. Good to see another car with the factory turn indicators up front. To each their own... but I've always dug on 'em. Keep the car pics coming, too.

Yeah your 67 is cool too Zenith Blue right? Looks like the right forum for me. Little different than the samba. There are some bitchin' cars here!!

I picked up the 66 about 3 years ago - been out of service since 1984 just sitting in a barn. 54K miles, og interior & og paint with the exception of the rear fenders and deck lid.
Runnin' 356 wheels right now - but may go with grey BRMs.
I've got a 4" RLR beam and pair of CSP discs for the front that I need to install, and collecting parts for a 2110 build.
Its a project that I can drive as I build it.

Tom Hewitson
Bahama Blau Kafer

Rennsurfer

« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2009, 05:06:10 am »

Yeah your 67 is cool too Zenith Blue right? Looks like the right forum for me. Little different than the samba. There are some bitchin' cars here!!

I picked up the 66 about 3 years ago - been out of service since 1984 just sitting in a barn. 54K miles, og interior & og paint with the exception of the rear fenders and deck lid.
I've got a 4" RLR beam and pair of CSP discs for the front that I need to install, and collecting parts for a 2110 build.

Right on, Tom... your car will look good with either the 356 wheels or the BRMs. Sounds like a great find, too. Hard to believe the paint escaped being painted over and/or in an accident all of these years. The car has found a loving home. I'm guessing it's Bahama Blue, yes? Keep us updated on your engine build, too. There's a cool forum on here called In Da Werks, where you can show your car being built into what is currently is with stories and pictures.

Yes, mine's Zenith Blue... thanks.

~Sarge
Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2009, 05:50:48 am »

Good to see you here finally!!

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
OgCalLook

Straight outa Riverside!

« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2009, 00:17:44 am »

Right on, Tom... your car will look good with either the 356 wheels or the BRMs. Sounds like a great find, too. Hard to believe the paint escaped being painted over and/or in an accident all of these years. The car has found a loving home. I'm guessing it's Bahama Blue, yes? Keep us updated on your engine build, too. There's a cool forum on here called In Da Werks, where you can show your car being built into what is currently is with stories and pictures.

Yes, mine's Zenith Blue... thanks.

Yep - I'll keep everyone posted - I think I'll like it here Smiley

Tom Hewitson
Bahama Blau Kafer

OgCalLook

Straight outa Riverside!

« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2009, 00:19:57 am »

Good to see you here finally!!

No kidding, I finally posted - thanks for the heads up Zach Cool

Tom Hewitson
Bahama Blau Kafer

Jim Ratto

« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2009, 18:34:54 pm »

Welcome aboard and thumbs up on your cars. Have fun here!  Cool
OgCalLook

Straight outa Riverside!

« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2009, 00:28:06 am »

Thanks Jim!

Tom Hewitson
Bahama Blau Kafer

OgCalLook

Straight outa Riverside!

« Reply #26 on: March 12, 2009, 02:16:20 am »

Sarge said tell your story so.... been on the site for a week now and been using the "SEARCH" function, and I found this car, Jim Logudice's 67!! 

This is like Deja Vu - I had just turned 16 when I bought this issue, I wanted this car! My dream car was a 911, but this car was so Badass, Right then and there I decided I had to get a 67.
This car is probably the single most influential car that got me into Cal-Look VWs.

After buying & selling about 15 cars, and by the time I was 17, I found a super clean 67 for $600 and built it up.
I couldn't afford Fuchs, ported heads, and IDAs, so I built a 1835 - Berg C/W crank, Engle 110, and a single Zenith - It ran pretty good.

Seeing Jim's 67 after all these years really hit home, I think I might have to look for another 67 Grin

Thanks for the pics fabs

Tom Hewitson
Bahama Blau Kafer

Rennsurfer

« Reply #27 on: March 12, 2009, 02:32:30 am »

Always dug the wheels on that car... they're perfect.

~Sarge
Sarge

« Reply #28 on: March 12, 2009, 03:15:50 am »

So's the RED paint job  Cool

DKP III
OgCalLook

Straight outa Riverside!

« Reply #29 on: March 12, 2009, 03:32:19 am »

So's the RED paint job  Cool

Agreed - Al Martinez paint work -

Tom Hewitson
Bahama Blau Kafer

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: