The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 01, 2024, 05:38:07 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350869 Posts in 28606 Topics by 6828 Members
Latest Member: GSW Racing
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  First Landrover on the Lounge????
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: First Landrover on the Lounge????  (Read 12683 times)
Kobus

See you at the NEXT EUROPEAN BUGIN!!! Summer 2011!

« on: April 21, 2009, 19:16:40 pm »

Yes Landrover!!!

have a look at this....

being built in California right now

Narrowed vw type III rear end
Narrowed vw type I front end
4 wheel disk brakes
Porsche Super 90 engine...

Keep the Thru Cal-Look Alive!!!!
Lee.C

I might be an Idiot but I'm not an Arsehole!

« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2009, 19:59:06 pm »

You forgot about the Porsche Space Savers  Wink Smiley

Cool project though Smiley

You either "Get It" or you don't......
vwcab

peter

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2009, 20:43:18 pm »

Did they run-out off beetle bodies in California? Grin    Grin

'72 standard käfer
'74 cal-look project
'78 1303 cabrio
'12 Triumph street triple

ESCARABAJO's CALIENTEs

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2009, 21:14:04 pm »

Give it to someone who will restore it as a Land Rover and not an abomination.
 Roll Eyes
Rocket Ron

It's old school for a reason

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2009, 22:27:49 pm »

Yes Landrover!!!

have a look at this....

being built in California right now

Narrowed vw type III rear end
Narrowed vw type I front end
4 wheel disk brakes
Porsche Super 90 engine...

wow series one  Shocked

13.12 @ 101.84

Grooving out on life

You can't polish a turd but you can roll it in glitter
GASBNR

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2009, 09:13:06 am »

kobus, when I read the title I wasn't quite reading for that, I was thinking something like this.

my 63 ragtop behind my Land rover.

SUPPORTING CAL-LOOK DOWN UNDER
bluestar

D.A.S member

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2009, 14:53:17 pm »

something like this ( wihout blower ) !!!

bugnut68

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2009, 16:49:27 pm »

Give it to someone who will restore it as a Land Rover and not an abomination.
 Roll Eyes

I agree.
Wünderwolff

aka Dr. Jeckill

« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2009, 19:52:41 pm »

I can't say I like it very much right now. Maybe once finished I might learn to like it  Huh But like others said, it would have been better of restored (or even better hot-rodded) as a real Landrover.

Wünderwaffe are Go!
Roman

« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2009, 20:59:14 pm »

I had a 1949 and a 1951 Land Rover when I was 16 and I thought it was cool, but I never thought of it as a potential scraper!
overrestored

« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2009, 17:18:46 pm »

The rover was obtained as a rusty hulk wreck... bent rusty frame... bashed body... Very bent roof... no engine... no trans... frozen rusted axles... missing many parts etc etc.
It was on it's way to the scrap yard and I told the owner I would haul it off for him.  We recycled the frame... and the running gear that was left at the metal yard... I left most of  the crusty rusty and bent parts I could... and bought all the other parts it needed from craigslist and the rover sites... used.   (My dad has an original 1949 80")  Anyway... this 88" wasn't gonna get restored... so it is no loss to mod it.  I have restored many rare cars and that is fun too... but sometimes you need to just do something wild.

When we built the 2110 1942 kubel we upset a lot of folks but it was also a totally screwed up car with wrong everything... and we didn't do anything to the original kubel... we only modified the non kubel bits... and fabricated a new chopped windshield.

Cars like this are interesting because they stir up the muck... and challenge people's perceptions and norms... as evidenced by the comments on this site... (a site dedicated to modified cars ironically)  Modifying cars is a bit like art... everyone has different tastes...   Nobody is right or wrong... it is subjective and criticism is normal and expected.

It is important to not destroy any important history... and I don't think we have ever done that.  But above and beyond that... I say bring on the new ideas as we all get tired of the same ideas over and over.

By the way... I still have the 5 steel 16" rover wheels and they are free to anyone who wants them... but so far... on the rover chat lists... and on craigs list... there have been no responses in the 4 months I have been trying to give them away.  They are here in Central California.

« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2009, 20:06:43 pm »

I'm sure they were thinking the same thing when they cut up and installed a V-8 in this real Hebmuller.
 Angry
Speed-Randy

« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2009, 21:11:33 pm »

i agree with overrestored, its his car to do what he wants. if you dont like it, i guess you wont offer to buy it. next time you get all purist on people, try parking your car with the stock class at any car show and just listen to those people talk about how you destroyed your car.

Jon
Administrator

12,3@174km/t at Gardermoen 2008

« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2009, 21:27:43 pm »

Meanwhile in Norway

Grumpy old men have signatures like this.
Wünderwolff

aka Dr. Jeckill

« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2009, 21:33:40 pm »

It's not that I don't like customising, look at my bug, I screwed it up beyond repair for many. It's just that I don't see the sense in doing this project. Again, when finished it might prove me wrong.

I agree that it is super cool to rescue a lost cause car. Even if that means that you kill it even more. Please go ahead and make it wild and then some wilder. But I still believe a more Land Rover oriented car would make more impact than just shock. Of course I know very little about the LR, maybe this is the only way to make them cool  Roll Eyes Wink

The Norvegian approach tickles my fancy a bit more, going from the few pics.

Wünderwaffe are Go!
bugnut68

« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2009, 21:59:23 pm »

i agree with overrestored, its his car to do what he wants. if you dont like it, i guess you wont offer to buy it. next time you get all purist on people, try parking your car with the stock class at any car show and just listen to those people talk about how you destroyed your car.

I dunno, the thread was posted in effect asking for opinions... if the Kubel that overrestored mentioned is the one I'm thinking of, I totally dug that car.  But it was a Volkswagen.  I don't see the point in implementing VW parts in a non-VW rig, but hey, that's just me.  Problem with custom cars is related tastes are a dime a dozen.
Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2009, 22:11:43 pm »

First Landrover on the Lounge?Huh

And hopefully the last Tongue

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
jamiep_jamiep

« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2009, 08:25:36 am »

I think its really cool, and its not like Land Rovers are especially rare, at least not over here and it shows a lot of imagination. Kev Donlon (a fellow club member, builder of full weight 1970 14 second qtr camper) was heavily into the green laning scene over here in the UK and some of the mods they do to those cars - mostly much newer defenders - are unbelievable... a bit like the 'weight saving' thread, many of them gundrill just about every part that can lose weight without sacrificing strength. There's always info to be picked up from other scenes that can be applied to our own perversion Grin
« Last Edit: April 24, 2009, 10:39:06 am by kaferboy » Logged

bullitt

everything as it was at the good old days.

« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2009, 12:13:10 pm »

i think that desire to appear and to astonish is a different thing than true real car enthusiasm. there are maybe too much people involved in old cars. and very few are prepared. this is the result. soap box racing are more serious than our world nowadays. rip to an interesting old land rover.

i am very sorry to tell a different thing this time kobus. generally i keep ur point of view very high. this land rover is a mirror of times. all i see in last years is people doin everything to be cool at any cost. this land rover doesnt make me smile, doesnt make me laugh. the only feeling i feel is to close internet forever and closin in my garage.

money is goin up, culture is goin down. u can't paint a pair of moustaches to the monna lisa just to do something different.

i always see old cars not like a play or a joke. old cars are a tremendous serious thing.

i see too much people treating old cars like skateboard question.

we will exit this situation in some years maybe, when thry get tired and they will find another thing to play with. we will wake up with a sense of sadness and lots of ruined cars.

to be cool is a great thing. but cannot be the only purpose.

i am sorry if i offended someone. but it is my thought.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2009, 12:23:57 pm by bullitt » Logged
Neil Davies

« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2009, 12:19:51 pm »

I really like it!  Grin It's a bit different, most of these just look the same, after all what can you do to a landrover other than paint it green and put some chunky tyres on it?

But then I'm the guy who wants to put a big IDA motor in the back of a '63 Corvette roadster... Shocked

2007cc, 48IDFs, street car. 14.45@93 on pump fuel, treads, muffler and fanbelt. October 2017!
overrestored

« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2009, 20:59:16 pm »

Originally... we wanted to find a wrecked Boxster Porsche... and but that running gear into the rover body.  But the Boxster is so much wider than the Rover... it wouldn't work... plus the wheelbase of the boxster is too long and they are a unibody design... it would have been too expensive.  But a boxster with a rover body... would be more of a "boxster" if we could have pulled it off.

I had the extra super 90 engine sitting... so that became the reason we decided to go vw running gear.... basically because it was cheapest and easiest... and I understand vw's best.

I realize that ruining cars... or creating a wierd combinations of parts... seems pretty stupid to a lot of people... it seems stupid to me too truly... but I am not hurting anyone or anything.... this car was junk.... and it is fun to make stupid things.  I also like building goofy bicycles and weird sculpture... Without crazyness... life would be kind of dull I think.

It is done because it is a fun challenge... It is like building a "tree fort"... instead of building a house.  Or like having a crazy party... instead of a formal dinner party.
The neighbors don't like the crazy party... they get upset.... they would rather you just stay home quiet and watch the television.   But if nobody has a party then what becomes of the world... it gets quiet and boring and we never get to have any fun.

I have restored several dozen vw's and coachbuilts and old 356 Porsches... and just want to do something goofy and fun and not have to have every part perfect and be subject to the "originality police" looking at every detail. 

I think it is better to have done something... and to have been criticized for it... than to do nothing... for fear of upsetting someone. 

if it is not your taste... well that is ok too.  I am sorry.  I don't like Ferraris.  I don't like muscle cars.  We each can have different tastes... that is good.  If we were all the same life would be pretty boring.

So thank you for the criticism.  It is healthy... and we all learn a great deal from it and hopefully it gives us more understanding of others feelings so we can learn how to live with them.  We are all different... we have different colored skin.. and religions... and ways of living.  It is a big world and we need to allow everyone a place without judging them because they are different than we are. They are just different...but it is ok.

bullitt

everything as it was at the good old days.

« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2009, 00:06:34 am »

i think you are a clever person.

problems with internet forum is that generally u have two options:

- u say you like it
- u stay in silence

if u go for third option, that is " i don't like" it is generally a problem.

i am very glad u caught the spirit of our happy democratic first world. that is : you are free to do what you want with your car (until you hit my grandmother on her bicycle) and i am free to say what i want (until i insult you). nobody went out the tracks. so we can have a beer together if one day we meet in person.

best wishes.
Stephan S

« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2009, 03:04:51 am »

I think it is better to have done something... and to have been criticized for it... than to do nothing... for fear of upsetting someone. 

if it is not your taste... well that is ok too.  I am sorry.  I don't like Ferraris.  I don't like muscle cars.  We each can have different tastes... that is good.  If we were all the same life would be pretty boring.

So thank you for the criticism.  It is healthy... and we all learn a great deal from it and hopefully it gives us more understanding of others feelings so we can learn how to live with them.  We are all different... we have different colored skin.. and religions... and ways of living.  It is a big world and we need to allow everyone a place without judging them because they are different than we are. They are just different...but it is ok.

Great, clever answer! Eric, knowing the quality of your work, I have no doubt your Land Rover will turn out great.
Your silly '42 Kubelwagen still makes me smile. Our hobby needs cars like your 2110cc Kubel and your LR.

Some of these comments really surprise me... Common, it's a beat up LAND ROVER, not a fully restored Dannenhauer & Stauss!

Bullitt, I don't agree with your statement: "old cars are a tremendous serious thing".
Thankfully, they aren't. Hot rodding is a great hobby and has a very positive influence on the vintage car hobby as a whole. Think about the '32 Ford. If it wasn't for hot rodders, who would remember what a '32 Ford looks like? Ford produced roughly 250,000 cars in 1932; Chevrolet 320,000. Now, when was the last time you saw a '32 Chevrolet on the road? Those cars are gone, but thousands of '32 Fords have been saved - not by vintage fanatics, but by hot rodders.
Furthermore, vintage fanatics (who often hate hot rodders) can be thankful to the huge hot rod aftermarket for allowing them to fully restore their own '32!

The same school of thoughts applies to our VW hobby. Like it or not, modified VWs keep our hobby alive. Of course, I'm not saying we should butcher an unmolested Hebmuller or a Dannenhauer & Stauss in great condition. These cars should be preserved...
« Last Edit: April 25, 2009, 03:16:25 am by Stephan S » Logged

Der Kleiner Panzers
Lee.C

I might be an Idiot but I'm not an Arsehole!

« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2009, 04:13:42 am »

Great, clever answer! Eric, knowing the quality of your work, I have no doubt your Land Rover will turn out great.
Your silly '42 Kubelwagen still makes me smile. Our hobby needs cars like your 2110cc Kubel and your LR.

Some of these comments really surprise me... Common, it's a beat up LAND ROVER, not a fully restored Dannenhauer & Stauss!

Bullitt, I don't agree with your statement: "old cars are a tremendous serious thing".
Thankfully, they aren't. Hot rodding is a great hobby and has a very positive influence on the vintage car hobby as a whole. Think about the '32 Ford. If it wasn't for hot rodders, who would remember what a '32 Ford looks like? Ford produced roughly 250,000 cars in 1932; Chevrolet 320,000. Now, when was the last time you saw a '32 Chevrolet on the road? Those cars are gone, but thousands of '32 Fords have been saved - not by vintage fanatics, but by hot rodders.
Furthermore, vintage fanatics (who often hate hot rodders) can be thankful to the huge hot rod aftermarket for allowing them to fully restore their own '32!

The same school of thoughts applies to our VW hobby. Like it or not, modified VWs keep our hobby alive. Of course, I'm not saying we should butcher an unmolested Hebmuller or a Dannenhauer & Stauss in great condition. These cars should be preserved...

I had a feeling that was the Kubel you were talking about - All I can say is I LOVE that car and I couldn't agree more with Stephan - and he is right its only a crappy old Landie Wink Smiley

You either "Get It" or you don't......
Speed-Randy

« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2009, 04:30:06 am »

wow, you did exactly what i wouldve done to that kubel, THAT IS A COOL CAR

Bill Schwimmer
DKK

« Reply #25 on: April 25, 2009, 04:54:18 am »

I'm sure they were thinking the same thing when they cut up and installed a V-8 in this real Hebmuller.
 Angry
I find this Heb much more interesting than a restored one..

" don't buy upgrades    ride up grades"
    Eddy Merckx
Rennsurfer

D.B.O. Not a club; a state of mind.

« Reply #26 on: April 25, 2009, 05:05:18 am »

I don't get the whole Land Rover thing... to each their own, I guess.

[thread hi-jack]Has anyone built a correct/tasteful Cal Look Heb? Love to see one done up, right. Not some two-tone slammed resto thing... I'm talking honest to goodness Cal Look. That would look COOL.[/thread hi-jack]
« Last Edit: April 25, 2009, 05:07:14 am by DKK_Fred » Logged

"You can only scramble an egg so many ways."
~Sarge
overrestored

« Reply #27 on: April 25, 2009, 05:07:13 am »

just so you don't think I butcher everything... here is one of my restorations...

Dave Rosique

nobodyouno

« Reply #28 on: April 25, 2009, 06:11:04 am »

Beautiful Rometch!!

I know of an un-restored, pretty decent '59 (I think) sunroof coupe that's been sitting since 1962...
The owner will not sell... but I keep asking.

~DR.
Rocket Ron

It's old school for a reason

« Reply #29 on: April 25, 2009, 07:18:54 am »

I think its great, I hate landrovers, while it get the whole "landrover thing" they have never interested me

I love these sorts of projects, it’s been said further up this thread that its would be boring if everyone built the same cars which is totally true. It must be said that 99% of the people on here have customized there car to some extent, so why not this?

I always think it a little rich when people start complaining about what other guys are doing with their cars , this guy paid for it, now its his to do what he wishes and good luck

I for one would love to see it finished, if I like it when its done then I’ll say so , if I don’t I’ll keep to myself but you have got to give respect where respect is due for the work, money and effort involved in this project.     

As they say, anyone can restore a car, it takes a real man to cut one up

« Last Edit: April 25, 2009, 11:11:32 am by rocket ron » Logged

13.12 @ 101.84

Grooving out on life

You can't polish a turd but you can roll it in glitter
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: