The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 26, 2024, 15:08:52 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350861 Posts in 28605 Topics by 6827 Members
Latest Member: bmwjaguare5
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  Style of their own: Mike Maize & Pete Staat cars...
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Style of their own: Mike Maize & Pete Staat cars...  (Read 13883 times)
Jim Ratto

« on: April 24, 2009, 16:47:20 pm »

I love both of these cars.
Thinking about both last night, I realized, after not seeing it, both of these cars run with a style both in a similar vein. Both don't exactly fit into the CAL LOOK RULEBOOK, obviously, and further, neither car can really be "classified"....how cool is that? And though Pete's car is no longer with us, if it were, I'm sure it would be widely admired in the scene, as Mike's car is.

Here are some pics I stole from old threads.
Dave Rosique

nobodyouno

« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2009, 17:18:07 pm »

Cool cars!

Back in the 70's I helped build a '66 that had fiberglass flares on the rear, "Scoop" rear decklid and a ham can hood... what set this car apart a little, it was lowered in front, dechromed, ran buggy bars & Lucas lights. The car sat on Ansen's all around and it was about the same green as Dave Rhodes car... The car turned out really good, I always liked it... Oh yeah, then we rolled it--OOPS!--

Long live the Ham Can hood!

~DR.
Jim Ratto

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2009, 17:26:12 pm »

I think I dig both cars because looking at them makes me feel young again. Mike's car reminds me of a toy VW I pushed around on the floor whenI was a toddler, and Pete's blue car takes me back to 1987 when I was first getting wind of what a (really) fast VW was about. (His car was the first big cc IDA car I had seen in the flesh.... at 16 yr old). Though not within the lines of "old Cal Look" or "new-old Cal Look" or "resto Cal Look" or "new old skool Cal Look", both these cars make a perfect statement. Plus they're both fast (Pete's was low 12 sec ride).
vwcab

peter

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2009, 19:03:48 pm »

Both cool cars indeed Jim,I like Maize's car the most.It "HAS" something,it's more gasserstyle than calllook.(love the bonnets)
But who cares?
Like to see more pics of those cars.  Wink

'72 standard käfer
'74 cal-look project
'78 1303 cabrio
'12 Triumph street triple

ESCARABAJO's CALIENTEs
Mike Maize

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2009, 20:10:07 pm »

Hey Jim, Thanks and I agree my orange car reminds me of all my 70's style toys. The style is about half looker and half gasser. Hey it should be faster this summer too! Driving in it reminds me a lot of what I always imagined a WWII fighter would be like.....I consider both of my cars to be a part of the ""scene" but neither is a true Cal-looker.....BUT I am no Californian either.... Wink  Just a Pennsylvania Skate punk.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2009, 20:12:40 pm by Mike Maize » Logged
Jim Ratto

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2009, 20:16:25 pm »

Hey it should be faster this summer too!

ok... more info please.  Grin
javabug

WHAT'S UP WID DA BOOM BOOM???

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2009, 21:40:25 pm »

Nice topic.   Grin

Mike H.

Sven was right.
Mike Maize

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2009, 22:57:18 pm »

The Stock CB Wedge Ports got some chamber work new valves with some extra love Wink and LS1 springs with Ti retainers. Cam and lifters looked good and so did all the bearings etc... Plus it will have a fresh Ohio Tom tune. Grin
Lee.C

I might be an Idiot but I'm not an Arsehole!

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2009, 23:49:28 pm »

Hey Jim, Thanks and I agree my orange car reminds me of all my 70's style toys. The style is about half looker and half gasser. Hey it should be faster this summer too! Driving in it reminds me a lot of what I always imagined a WWII fighter would be like.....I consider both of my cars to be a part of the ""scene" but neither is a true Cal-looker.....BUT I am no Californian either.... Wink  Just a Pennsylvania Skate punk.

Hey dude - could we have a couple more pic's of that COO decklid of yours  Huh Smiley

You either "Get It" or you don't......
Jim Ratto

« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2009, 00:03:01 am »

The Stock CB Wedge Ports got some chamber work new valves with some extra love Wink and LS1 springs with Ti retainers. Cam and lifters looked good and so did all the bearings etc... Plus it will have a fresh Ohio Tom tune. Grin

nice dude...let us know how it rips....  you and java are going to be the terrors of PA.
javabug

« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2009, 02:15:23 am »

I'm looking forward to comparing notes.  The orange car should be most definitely be faster on paper, but we're not going to be racing calculators.   Grin

So about style...I don't think it is much of a stretch that the Pete's car could have been an "updated" version of Maize's car.  Even though they were built opposite that idea.  I really like Pete's car also...while the stance and tire selection is unconventional, it makes the car look light and nimble.

I can't imagine being a 16 year old and encountering that car and its performace potential.

Mike H.

Sven was right.
Jim Ratto

« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2009, 20:43:16 pm »

Pete's tire sizing does look dated today (funny how what was high tech 20+ year ago, looks dated against 60's & 70's-tech today... Roll Eyes make sense?  Grin) but looked "right on" in 1986. A lot of the cal bugs in my area in Bay Area were shod with low profiles, like Pete's.
Thing with Pete's car: it had what I refer to as "presence." Just sitting there quiet, engine off.... it oozed agression. Pictures don't convey "presence".... you had to be walking around looking at day glo painted cars with flashy chromed 1600's and then in a clearing, sat this car. Well, and you had to be that 16 year old walkign around, feeling disillusioned by the all show and no go theme of the VW shows up north in the 1980's..... I was already bored with the scene, until I saw Pete's car. And if you were around when it was running, you knew by the thrum and the wail of that motor, it was waaaaay different that what else was going on at the time. I still, to this day, nearly 20 years later, remember last time I saw that car.... pulling away from BH on a Saturday, he left parking spot like he was @ pro tree....  still gives me goosebumps.

Paulus

« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2009, 21:24:21 pm »

Very nice car !!!!  Shocked I love the mix between Cal-look ans Gasser style

Less is More !
Mike Maize

« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2009, 21:53:53 pm »

Hey dude - could we have a couple more pic's of that COO decklid of yours  Huh Smiley
[/quote]
Diederick/DVK

They're never done till they're sold

« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2009, 22:28:29 pm »

this "style" in my opinion does receive the attention it deserves, i think pete staat's car looks amazing! but that era of cal-look is not commonly regarded as cal-look as the 70ies and the lookers of today, if that makes sense...

Pete's tire sizing does look dated today (funny how what was high tech 20+ year ago, looks dated against 60's & 70's-tech today... Roll Eyes make sense?  Grin) but looked "right on" in 1986. A lot of the cal bugs in my area in Bay Area were shod with low profiles, like Pete's.

i actually really like the different tyres it has! it just goes out to show this car is all business. the rear could/should've been slightly taller...
and i don't know what else, but i guess i do get the point of this car looking fast standing still.  Wink

and maize's '67 is very cool. can't wait to see some new pics of this season!

Diederick
 -
Proud member of:
DVK ~ Der Vollgas Kreuzers
Mike Maize

« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2009, 22:38:48 pm »

I am hoping the car has a new dash this summer.....time will tell. I'll start trying to remember to take my camera when I am out with the car.
Critter1

« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2009, 23:29:07 pm »

I'm building a 67 bug in the same style as both Pete and Mikes cars. With the same hood and deck lid, T-bird glasspack, Cosmic wheels & steering wheel, EMPI dash pad, period motor. Its more of a 70s gasser theme like Mikes orange bug. I was about half way through the build when it stopped cold so I could build a 67 Fastback. Once I get back on the build I will start a "In Da Works" thread here...

Anyway I was thinking... Why not give a name to this style? Everyone says it doesn't quite fit in with Cal Look, Resto Cal, Custom, etc...... How about "STREET GASSER" ?? Just my two cents....
Jim Ratto

« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2009, 23:32:18 pm »

Personally, I like the unclassified nature of these. Ya can't label them!
cal-look 56

« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2009, 23:53:38 pm »

I dont care what you call them,  they are cool. Wink
Critter1

« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2009, 23:59:46 pm »

I dont care what you call them,  they are cool. Wink
Indeed !!
Mike Maize

« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2009, 02:17:48 am »

If you label them...then I am going to build something else...... Roll Eyes
Lee.C

I might be an Idiot but I'm not an Arsehole!

« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2009, 02:40:05 am »

[/quote]

Cool cheers dude - Looks awsome  Grin

You either "Get It" or you don't......
wolfswest

« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2009, 11:16:59 am »

What happened with Pete STaat's car?  Huh  Anybody have a clue?

JPS NACIONAL kameraderie - HDB Syndicate.
vwcab

peter

« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2009, 12:23:22 pm »

Does somebody know from what year Pete's bug is/was?

'72 standard käfer
'74 cal-look project
'78 1303 cabrio
'12 Triumph street triple

ESCARABAJO's CALIENTEs
javabug

« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2009, 13:05:10 pm »

Thing with Pete's car: it had what I refer to as "presence." Just sitting there quiet, engine off.... it oozed agression. Pictures don't convey "presence"....

That's a good way to put it.

I remember the first time Maize had the car at the track, we were walking back to the pits from the concession stand and I looked up and the car caught my eye.  The way the car was parked made me have one of those "oh yeah" moments.  Can you imagine what the non-VW people (eveybody there) saw in that car?  Including when Maize clicked off his first 12.90 with it?

And one more thing about the tires...you think Pete did it for looks, or he liked the way the car ripped with those shorties in the back?   Shocked

Mike H.

Sven was right.
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #25 on: April 28, 2009, 15:51:28 pm »

Does somebody know from what year Pete's bug is/was?

pm send
 Wink

http://speedwell55.skynetblogs.be/
oldspeed 61 standard empi/speedwell
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #26 on: April 28, 2009, 15:54:25 pm »

Wink

http://speedwell55.skynetblogs.be/
oldspeed 61 standard empi/speedwell
speedwell

the archivist