The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 01, 2024, 15:46:45 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350869 Posts in 28606 Topics by 6828 Members
Latest Member: GSW Racing
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  WARNING: Send Cash for parts.... Dont do it.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: WARNING: Send Cash for parts.... Dont do it.  (Read 6241 times)
Russell

« on: January 20, 2007, 00:08:50 am »

Guys

3 weeks ago one of our fellow loungers sold me a magneto, to save any hassle he wanted cash. I sent this via Register post and 18 days latter he still doesnt have it, however in good faith the magneto was posted to me and arrived next day ! Typical Royal Mail !

You can now see our problem......... I have no cash but have the Magneto, but the seller has no item or cash !

Please let this be a warning to all you loungers, we are a small family and would never want to abuse someone's trust, when paying for items please ensure you use one of the proper advertised payment services such as paypal (dont worry about 2.5% its alot less than 100%)

Im sure myself and the seller will solve this situation, once we have kick Royal Mails behind on Monday.

Remenber dont send cash, please. its not worth it.

Honestly

Russell

Best Regards

Russell
Turtle001

« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2007, 00:13:42 am »

... but sometimes it works out just fine... rick helped me out the other day ... with a M/O ... and i just send him money in an envelop... and 4 days later it arrived in the us of a .... thanx again rick!

swedish '59er in a winter sleep
http://turtle.skynetblogs.be
Russell

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2007, 00:26:17 am »

I know, but when it doesnt !!!!!!!

Glad it worked for you, but i prefer 100% chance.

Best Regards

Russell
ESH

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2007, 00:31:57 am »

There are things that can always go wrong whatever the situation, the trick is to simplify it as far as possible but the moment you put trust in any post organisation you're 'at risk'. I'm a tad f'o'd right now over UK post and the potential loss is a couple of ££'s in addition to which there's someone that doesn't have a part. Given everyone here travels to shows maybe try wherever possible to do exchanges personally, maybe a bit of a pain but no less than losing stuff!

This wasn't cash for parts! Just crap postal service, to clarify.
Rick Meredith
DKK

We can't force ya to have fun

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2007, 02:57:57 am »

... but sometimes it works out just fine... rick helped me out the other day ... with a M/O ... and i just send him money in an envelop... and 4 days later it arrived in the us of a .... thanx again rick!

Glad to help out!  Wink

67 Beetle - The Deuce Roadster of Cal Look
Pekka

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2007, 10:03:02 am »

Royal Mail seems to have problems... once sent an express letter to someone in London from Helsinki... took 3 weeks  Angry I could track it on the internet until the time it left Finland (the same day) then nothing, no tacking info available.

USPS especially from California has had problems finding Finland on the map, I've several items returned to sender due to unknown address.

Nonethelee, never lost an item in transit yet, I guess I have been lucky.

I always use either paypal or Euro transfer in Europe. Nothing else.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2007, 10:08:17 am by Pekka » Logged

I sent the club a wire stating, "Please accept my resignation. I don't want to belong to any club that will accept me as a member."

- Groucho Marx
Peter Roberts

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2007, 15:58:42 pm »

I have edited this post , I was only trying to clarify Andy's position .

Sorry if it caused any offence , check your pm's

Best Wishes

Pete

« Last Edit: January 20, 2007, 19:56:58 pm by Peter Roberts » Logged
Jordy/DVK

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2007, 17:58:39 pm »

I had the same with dealing with someone in Brazil. He insisted on sending me the money by mail.
 At first I said I didn't accept it and that I only accept PayPal, but he still insisted on it.
 I again warned him for the risk and tried to persuade him to use PayPal (I mean it's free and easy) but he still insisted on sending cash...

And when the envelope arrived I didn't see anything suspicious so I accepted it and opened it, but when I looked inside I found just 30 euros instead of 80.
 When I inspected the envelope I noticed that they'd cut off the side of the envelope with a very sharp knife (the inscision was hardly visible) and took some of the money out.
 Then they sealed the side in a way it was barely noticeable...

These guys at the post office are experienced professionals!!! They know exactly which envelopes contain money and which don't, and they know exactly how to get the money out in a way you wouldn't notice it. I can only second the WARNING in the first message... DON'T SEND CASH FOR PARTS

Although I really didn't wish I had to, I asked the buyer to send me the missing 50 euro's again. I feel I warned him enough for the risks. (and I needed the money)
 Fortunately he admitted that he insisted on sending the cash through mail and was willing to cover the lost money.

I got my money, but when things go like this it doesn't really make me feel good.
 I also feel for the buyer, in the end we all share the same hobby, but then again, I'm not a charity organisation... Sad

Anyway... This was my first and last time I send money through post.
 When someone isist on sending cash trough post I'll tell him to look for the same part at another seller...
 I don't want such troubles again...

Proud member of:
DVK ~ Der Vollgas Kreuzers
  "The Full-Throttle Cruisers"

1951 medium brown splitwindow beetle (resto in progress)
1968 Cal-look(-a-like) (my daily driver)
Peter Roberts

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2007, 18:22:31 pm »

If you use the special delivery system , it's insured , so if it goes missing , you claim

And sending money in an envelope , how stupid , I use a box , put an old conrod in there and wrap it up in newspaper , so it can rattle around a bit , doesn't look like cash then .

Russell

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2007, 18:52:06 pm »

As Jordy has said I will never do this again and I'm not a charity organisation either.

Best Regards

Russell
Jordy/DVK

« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2007, 18:55:34 pm »

And sending money in an envelope , how stupid , I use a box , put an old conrod in there and wrap it up in newspaper , so it can rattle around a bit , doesn't look like cash then .

That is indeed the way to do it, and I told the buyer not to send it in a plain envelope because that would rise suspicion. I mean why would anyone insure an envelope??
 But the buyer didn't really try to not make it look like an envelope with cash... Sad

Proud member of:
DVK ~ Der Vollgas Kreuzers
  "The Full-Throttle Cruisers"

1951 medium brown splitwindow beetle (resto in progress)
1968 Cal-look(-a-like) (my daily driver)
Russell

« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2007, 21:43:53 pm »

Well the update is "Its lost" or so they say ! F&^%ing Post Office,, why bother with registered mail if they still lose it...........

Buyers/Sellers beware.

Pete, thanks

Best Regards

Russell
Trond Dahl
Administrator

« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2007, 23:21:15 pm »

There are things that can always go wrong whatever the situation, the trick is to simplify it as far as possible but the moment you put trust in any post organisation you're 'at risk'. I'm a tad f'o'd right now over UK post and the potential loss is a couple of ££'s in addition to which there's someone that doesn't have a part. Given everyone here travels to shows maybe try wherever possible to do exchanges personally, maybe a bit of a pain but no less than losing stuff!

This wasn't cash for parts! Just crap postal service, to clarify.

Very crappy I'm afraid... package was posted 21/22nd of December... It is officially still on the plane? hehe

Mat, no worries about the ££, we will make sure you go in zero loss... package or no package.

Street car 10.67/206kmt@Kjula 2014
Race car 9.49/236kmt@SCC 2017

ESH

« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2007, 23:55:00 pm »

Get me a beer! It's so farcical it has actually got entertaining. I was watching 'Lost' for about a series and a half and then I got round to thinking what a load of **** but it turns out that sort of thing can happen for real! Who'd have thought?!?!  Cheesy
« Last Edit: January 22, 2007, 23:56:56 pm by Mat Sanchez » Logged
Ivan

« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2007, 17:58:33 pm »

I wonder if you posted a lump of dog shit nicely wrapped and sent registered post whether that'd go missing?
Might be worth trying out?
You could even really test the postal service by writing on in the left hand corner above the address 'Handle with care cash inside'.

Whatever, it sucks that someone lost out - but it's a lesson learned by a hard to swallow pill.

Russell

« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2007, 18:54:10 pm »

Ivan

Dog Shit on the way, let me know if you get it.

Best Regards

Russell
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: