The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 01, 2024, 03:21:27 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350869 Posts in 28606 Topics by 6828 Members
Latest Member: GSW Racing
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  In Da Werks
| | |-+  Louis' Manx Project
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 Print
Author Topic: Louis' Manx Project  (Read 107611 times)
louisb

Runs with Scissors

« Reply #180 on: June 21, 2010, 12:13:04 pm »

Nice wagon.

--louis

Louis Brooks

The Beatings Will Continue Until Moral Improves!
Bryan67

« Reply #181 on: June 22, 2010, 14:47:43 pm »

Thanks. It was fun while I had it but just couldn`t live without a VW I guess.

If you`re going to do something, do it right.
louisb

Runs with Scissors

« Reply #182 on: June 30, 2010, 02:26:57 am »

For kicks and giggles I decided to mock up the buggy with the new rims & tires to see what it would look like. I was a little concerned that the front tires were too wide for the look I want but I am happy with them now that I see them up against the buggy. I may go a little lower than this in the end but not too much. I still have not been able to get the rear tires to seat correctly so I may end up taking them to the tire shop.

--louis

Louis Brooks

fredy66

« Reply #183 on: June 30, 2010, 07:46:14 am »

nice

arabia slugs
Bryan67

« Reply #184 on: June 30, 2010, 15:24:34 pm »

Looks good but maybe the front tires are a little tall.

Jon
Administrator

12,3@174km/t at Gardermoen 2008

« Reply #185 on: July 01, 2010, 14:02:34 pm »

That stance looks badass! I like the thread on the back tires as well Cool

Grumpy old men have signatures like this.
Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #186 on: July 02, 2010, 02:18:22 am »

LOVE IT!

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
Nico86

Turnip engine.

« Reply #187 on: July 03, 2010, 11:34:05 am »

That looks great ! You should go with a red/orange metalflake like the body color is now.

Lee.C

I might be an Idiot but I'm not an Arsehole!

« Reply #188 on: July 03, 2010, 23:53:56 pm »

Looking good dude (ps I recieved your package back the other day "undelivered"  Angry I will resend it on tuesday!)

You either "Get It" or you don't......
louisb

Runs with Scissors

« Reply #189 on: July 05, 2010, 04:20:36 am »

Been working on the fenders over the past few days. Got one sanded down and the other ready to be sanded. I still need to do a little shaping and some more filler before they are done.

Passenger side ready for filler and final shaping:

Grinding down the driver's side before laying 'glass.

Waiting on it to dry:

It has been raining non-stop here for several days and the temp is up in the '90s. I have been trying to work on it early in the morning before it gets too hot. I am so ready for fall.

Thanks,

--louis

PS: No worries Lee. I am sure it will get here sooner or later.  Kiss

Louis Brooks

louisb

Runs with Scissors

« Reply #190 on: July 13, 2010, 23:27:59 pm »

I have been down for the past week with a major sinus infection. That and the fact that we have had 100+ temp and 98% humidity for the past couple of weeks means I didn't get anything done last week. But if I go too long without working on the Manx I feel like a bad parent so I sucked it up today and spent a couple hours sanding on it. Got the driver's side fender roughed in and most of the Passenger's side fender filled and sanded.

I also started dealing with this issue. As you can see the lip does not line up correctly with the top hat. I drilled a hole in the front and put in an eye bolt backed with a fender washer. Then hooked up the come-along and started stretching it. I used the halogen lamps in the bottom of the picture to add a little heat as well. It seems to be working but it's not where I want it just yet.

Time for a beer.

--louis

Louis Brooks

louisb

Runs with Scissors

« Reply #191 on: July 18, 2010, 19:00:18 pm »

Finished up block sanding the rear fenders where the new sections were grafted in. I also finished up another small repair and mounted the rear tail lights and license plate light. I hope to get those off to the chromers soon. I still need to finish up the repairs where I widened the rear of the body and glass in the wire tubes since mine are missing and clean up the mounting flange but that is it for the shell. Still lots to do to the hood though so the itching is not over yet.

Fenders Done! The profile may not be exactly the same from side to side but as Bill Hines once said "You can only see one side of the car at a time." Or something to that effect.

Tail lights mounted. I am still not sure if I will run the solid red lenses of the Euro style. I do plan to convert them to LEDs though. I was thinking of adding a backup light w/ a red housing as a third brake light right above the license light but I may not.

Inner rear fender area. This section has a big hole where the original mounts were ripped out. I have some sturdier mounts in mind to help support this area. A friend of mine is going to make up a rear seat back and bottom which I will Velcro in place. That way they can be removed and a box can be installed for storage on longer trips. If I get adventuresome, or lose my mind, I may try to make the rear box out of fiberglass.

Boy I can't wait to see this all in one color. It almost looks like a real Manx body. I found a painter up in Tenn that will be doing the metal flake paint. Bass boat flakes, here I come.

Thanks,

--louis

Louis Brooks

louisb

Runs with Scissors

« Reply #192 on: July 18, 2010, 19:02:11 pm »

Oh yeah, forgot to post a pic of the front bulk head area I pulled back into shape

--louis

Louis Brooks

Zach Gomulka

« Reply #193 on: July 18, 2010, 20:45:17 pm »

Fenders Done! The profile may not be exactly the same from side to side but as Bill Hines once said "You can only see one side of the car at a time." Or something to that effect.

"If cars were meant to be symmetrical, they'd say "FORD" on one side, and "DROF" on the other Wink

Looking good, Louis!

chopperdentist

« Reply #194 on: July 21, 2010, 10:39:53 am »

hand made staff never looks simmetrical!!!  Wink

my car isn't simmetrical!!!! but it looks good the same!  Grin Grin

really good job.

louisb

Runs with Scissors

« Reply #195 on: July 27, 2010, 22:28:08 pm »

Picked up my pan and suspension parts from the sandblasters today. The pan will get a coating of rust bullet and then bed liner. The suspension parts will probably just get a coat of rattle can black.

--louis

Louis Brooks

louisb

Runs with Scissors

« Reply #196 on: August 03, 2010, 21:26:58 pm »

I was home the last two days with a sinus infection, the second one this month. So I took the opportunity to paint the suspension parts and reinforced the tunnel access hole with 1/8" x 1" flat stock.  Hopefully this weekend I can get the first coat of rust bullet on the pan. Oh, and the temp outside today is 112+ deg F.

In other news I am looking at FI for the engine instead of the 40 IDFs I had planned. (Mild 1835) If anyone has any input on running a buggy with FI I would like to hear it. I am thinking a Megasquirt brain box and one of the Mexico FI setups as see here:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=519841

It looks like a nice clean simple setup, but in the end, price may be the deciding factor. I could sell the freshly rebuilt Italian IDFs to recoup some of the cost.  Still, I need to get this buggy finished some time this century. I am already getting grief from certain parties at the length of time this 3 month build is taking.  Cheesy

It also looks like I will need to come up with another BJ beam as the one I sent to the sandblasters came back with several holes in it. Two steps forward, etc, etc.

Thanks,

--louis

Louis Brooks

Shubee2 (DSK)

"There's No School Like OLD SCHOOL"

« Reply #197 on: August 04, 2010, 02:14:20 am »

Hey Louis I got a Beam for you Grin Grin
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=992523

Der Selten Kafers VW Club.
Founding Member Est: 1976

58 Ragtop Old School Cal Look
66 Cal Look Drag Car
67 Resto Cal Look
67 Chevy II Nova L79
02 Camaro Vert!
04 Corvette Vert!
04 Colorado Pickup
Eddie DVK

« Reply #198 on: August 04, 2010, 08:36:28 am »

Tail lights mounted. I am still not sure if I will run the solid red lenses of the Euro style. I do plan to convert them to LEDs though. I was thinking of adding a backup light w/ a red housing as a third brake light right above the license light but I may not.

Nice project to follow, but what I don t understand is why aren t you/people using Bus ('66) taillights and place them horizontaly,
saw that once and looked the part on buggies.
Sorry for this comment. Embarrassed Smiley

Kind regards edgar

Regards Edgar

" Type 4, it is a completely different engine. You have to drive one to understand! "
louisb

Runs with Scissors

« Reply #199 on: August 04, 2010, 12:01:19 pm »

Nice beam Shubee but I don't think I want to drive to Tejhas to pick it up.  Wink

--louis

Louis Brooks

louisb

Runs with Scissors

« Reply #200 on: August 04, 2010, 12:02:51 pm »

Nice project to follow, but what I don t understand is why aren t you/people using Bus ('66) taillights and place them horizontaly,
saw that once and looked the part on buggies.
Sorry for this comment. Embarrassed Smiley

Kind regards edgar

Hi Edgar,

I dont think I have ever seen bus tail lights on a buggy before. It probably would look good though. Thanks for the comment.

--louis

Louis Brooks

Shubee2 (DSK)

« Reply #201 on: August 04, 2010, 22:29:20 pm »

I can ship it to you LOL  Lights look good on the Buggy but I think you are starting to part out the 66?? Why not use the beam in the 66 since you are going for the 6 inch narrowed  look in the front and 2 clicks in the rear  Dont Ya just love that Look??? LMFAO!!! Grin Grin

66 Cal Look Drag Car
67 Resto Cal Look
67 Chevy II Nova L79
02 Camaro Vert!
04 Corvette Vert!
04 Colorado Pickup
louisb

Runs with Scissors

« Reply #202 on: August 05, 2010, 12:19:18 pm »

I just borrowed the tail lights, they are not that hard to come by. I probably will use the '66 beam since I have a lowered 2" replacement already.

--louis

Louis Brooks

louisb

Runs with Scissors

« Reply #203 on: August 05, 2010, 14:17:07 pm »

Jeff Denham contacted me yesterday to let me know my heads are ready. This is the second set of heads done for me by Jeff and as always the work looks top notch. They are a small oval port with 40 x 35 valves. Engine will be an 1835 w/ a Webcam 163. Should be a nice little cruiser motor. Here are a couple of photos:

Thanks,

--louis

Louis Brooks

Donny B.

« Reply #204 on: August 05, 2010, 22:23:04 pm »

Remembering back in the day most of the Manx bodied cars I saw had '65-'66 Mustang tail lights.  The fit well and looked good.  You probably won't want to do that, but there sure were a lot with those on them.  Hey I have a set of the smaller taillights from an oval.  They look good, but need upgrading to be seen.

Don Bulitta
Wolfsburg Registry
louisb

Runs with Scissors

« Reply #205 on: August 05, 2010, 23:11:40 pm »

I never cared for the mustang tail lights on a buggy. I thought about the Oval style lights but I am already worried about getting rear ended. I think I am going to try and rig up a third brake light some how. I plan to convert the ones I have to LEDs as well which should be fun when I do the wiring. Speaking of Donny, you want to fly out and stay a week in Florida and wire this thing?  Grin

Thanks,

--louis

Louis Brooks

Bryan67

« Reply #206 on: August 06, 2010, 00:21:21 am »

Louis, you got the look right. All you need to do now is chrome the T lights and Lic. light.

Zach Gomulka

« Reply #207 on: August 06, 2010, 00:41:10 am »

I agree, it looks right. And the license plate light housing can just be polished, if you decide to go that route Wink

louisb

Runs with Scissors

« Reply #208 on: August 07, 2010, 19:22:54 pm »

Put a coat of Rust Bullet silver on the top of the pan. I decided to go ahead and get a coat on due to the high humidity, as the pan was already developing a nice coating of surface rust. Unfortunately, I miscalculated how much I needed and only had enough for one side. Next time I will know to order at least a quart.

I am almost tempted to leave it silver but I plan to put a coating of the black top coat they make after I have welded on the skid plate.

Thanks,

--louis

Louis Brooks

Shubee2 (DSK)

« Reply #209 on: August 07, 2010, 20:49:57 pm »

Put a coat of Rust Bullet silver on the top of the pan. I decided to go ahead and get a coat on due to the high humidity, as the pan was already developing a nice coating of surface rust. Unfortunately, I miscalculated how much I needed and only had enough for one side. Next time I will know to order at least a quart.

I am almost tempted to leave it silver but I plan to put a coating of the black top coat they make after I have welded on the skid plate.

Thanks,

--louis
Will THe Skid Plate Fit With The 4 Quart Sump you will be Using?? LOL Grin

66 Cal Look Drag Car
67 Resto Cal Look
67 Chevy II Nova L79
02 Camaro Vert!
04 Corvette Vert!
04 Colorado Pickup