The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 18, 2024, 13:32:07 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350838 Posts in 28603 Topics by 6826 Members
Latest Member: Kona@2528
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  EMPI EPC opinions???
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: EMPI EPC opinions???  (Read 17256 times)
jamiep_jamiep

« Reply #30 on: June 25, 2009, 17:14:37 pm »

Bottom line is as long as people are attracted by the cheaper price, EMPI will continue to thrive.  I just can't support a company that obviously doesn't give two shits about its customers.  I'd rather do without than have a sub-par outfit around making crap because the market supports affordable garbage rather than quality stuff that may cost more.  The VW world brought it on itself, because people are cheap.  I don't know why it's so hard to wait, save up and get the good stuff, even if it means putting a project on hold for awhile versus buying cheaper parts and having it "right now."  I think that says something about our society as a whole.

Yeah, but....

General opinion on the CARBS we're talking about here, is that they're pretty good, whether or not they're cheaper and you have to save up for months or break your kiddies piggy bank Wink

Hey tom, if they have no logo's at all on, does that mean they're a rip off of a rip off Huh   Shocked hahaha

Rennsurfer

D.B.O. Not a club; a state of mind.

« Reply #31 on: June 26, 2009, 01:06:32 am »

Have you actually taken the time to look through the latest EMPI catalouge? There is some pretty cool new products in there.

No, I haven't. Like I said, I gave up on EMPI when I was managing Long Beach Auto Haus up until April of '84. I thought they were junk THEN. Lord knows what they're trying to peddle nowadays.

Back on topic; let us allow our minds to collectively open, momentarily... suppose one of us took the plunge and bought a set of these plain wrap IDA carbs. So far, so good. They work, they do their job, and everyone's happy. That's the best case scenario. Suppose (and this happens more times than not) you get a set and they just flat out refuse to work or respond to any tuning adjustment(s). Let's also factor in expense/time/energy to get them dialed in. Keep in mind this is sans ANY customer service/support from the manufacturer. It boils down to what Gene Berg used to write in his catalogs: buy the cheap crap and pay to fix and/or replace it. Or, save your money & get quality parts that work along with great customer service. In the long run, it's actually cheaper and less painful/stressful to go the latter route.

Just my observation. I don't agree with everything in the Berg catalogs... but Gene's statement makes perfect sense on that topic.

"You can only scramble an egg so many ways."
~Sarge
GreenTom

« Reply #32 on: June 26, 2009, 10:54:19 am »

Bottom line is as long as people are attracted by the cheaper price, EMPI will continue to thrive.  I just can't support a company that obviously doesn't give two shits about its customers.  I'd rather do without than have a sub-par outfit around making crap because the market supports affordable garbage rather than quality stuff that may cost more.  The VW world brought it on itself, because people are cheap.  I don't know why it's so hard to wait, save up and get the good stuff, even if it means putting a project on hold for awhile versus buying cheaper parts and having it "right now."  I think that says something about our society as a whole.

Yeah, but....

General opinion on the CARBS we're talking about here, is that they're pretty good, whether or not they're cheaper and you have to save up for months or break your kiddies piggy bank Wink

Hey tom, if they have no logo's at all on, does that mean they're a rip off of a rip off Huh   Shocked hahaha

no Smiley the logo will be grinded off Cheesy

as always I got lots of "foam" and no technical tips. but I just got used to that.
maybe someone should put a topic: "Tell how bug shit is EMPI" for those who have to say something in this topic... and maybe that will stop putting OT Cheesy

ok maybe the topic need to be closed...

« Last Edit: June 26, 2009, 11:19:54 am by GreenTom » Logged

Aircooled Performance Gear
Quick Stick Performance
www.QuickStickVW.com
Neil Davies

« Reply #33 on: June 26, 2009, 11:27:26 am »

My problem with EMPI is that no matter how good the parts LOOK, they just don't last. Some of the MR Bug stuff was rusting before it came out of the packets!

I see them like the fake Rolex you buy on holiday, and for that fortnight the watch works great, but then it starts losing time, before one of the hands falls off. Wink

2007cc, 48IDFs, street car. 14.45@93 on pump fuel, treads, muffler and fanbelt. October 2017!
Rennsurfer

« Reply #34 on: June 26, 2009, 13:48:49 pm »

My problem with EMPI is that no matter how good the parts LOOK, they just don't last. Some of the MR Bug stuff was rusting before it came out of the packets!

I see them like the fake Rolex you buy on holiday, and for that fortnight the watch works great, but then it starts losing time, before one of the hands falls off. Wink

Amen to that. When I first bought my '67, I was able to clean up all of the chrome bumper bolts. Except for the rear ones. The only ones available at my local VW parts houses were EMPI ones. A month after I installed 'em, I had to constantly keep them polished with Mother's Polish and 0000 steel wool. The "chrome" heads were rusting right after I purchased them. After 8 months or so of that needless crap, I bought a new set from another vendor. Problem solved.

EMPI, do us all a favor. LEAVE and quit selling junk. You're cheapening up the place.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2009, 13:55:29 pm by DKK_Fred » Logged

~Sarge
Neil Davies

« Reply #35 on: June 26, 2009, 14:09:16 pm »

EMPI, do us all a favor. LEAVE and quit selling junk. You're cheapening up the place.[/b]

Or better still, stop producing quite so much crap and concentrate on a few good quality, worthwhile items. Empi needs to look at what the competition produces and what they produce. Instead of trying to make everything (but cheap), they should just continue to make the pieces that no-one else makes, but better!

2007cc, 48IDFs, street car. 14.45@93 on pump fuel, treads, muffler and fanbelt. October 2017!
Rennsurfer

« Reply #36 on: June 26, 2009, 14:24:46 pm »

Or better still, stop producing quite so much crap and concentrate on a few good quality, worthwhile items. Empi needs to look at what the competition produces and what they produce. Instead of trying to make everything (but cheap), they should just continue to make the pieces that no-one else makes, but better!

That WOULD be rather a welcome element. In addition, form some sort of actual Customer Service. Then, they'd do much better. But till all of that happens... they'll sadly be this:

~Sarge
bugnut68

« Reply #37 on: June 26, 2009, 17:54:27 pm »

I don't really consider all the details on EMPI's poor record of quality and customer service to be off topic.  Okay, so, hypothetically, what IF the carbs function well initially.  That's a mighty big IF, in my opinion, but whatever.  As soon as you have issues, it's been established that EMPI won't stand behind their product.  There are some here and elsewhere that will back this up.

So, even if the carbs work initially, what good does it do you to buy them if there's no customer support to back up the product?  I guess if a person is a carb guru and can figure it out or do it all themselves, that's a different story, but for the great share of us out there our first instinct is to get the thing serviced by the people that made it. I don't think one should have to implement a third outside party to fix the problems (if they are present and whatever they may be) of the manufacturer.
Bewitched666

Bewitched

« Reply #38 on: June 29, 2009, 07:13:43 am »

Ask the carb guy Art Threan on the other forum,he is an expert on carbs he should give you an honest answer on this topic Cool

Fast vw beetle's rule
jamiep_jamiep

« Reply #39 on: June 29, 2009, 08:35:22 am »

I don't really consider all the details on EMPI's poor record of quality and customer service to be off topic.  Okay, so, hypothetically, what IF the carbs function well initially.  That's a mighty big IF, in my opinion, but whatever.  As soon as you have issues, it's been established that EMPI won't stand behind their product.  There are some here and elsewhere that will back this up.

So, even if the carbs work initially, what good does it do you to buy them if there's no customer support to back up the product?  I guess if a person is a carb guru and can figure it out or do it all themselves, that's a different story, but for the great share of us out there our first instinct is to get the thing serviced by the people that made it. I don't think one should have to implement a third outside party to fix the problems (if they are present and whatever they may be) of the manufacturer.

have you tried contacting Weber with problems?! Roll Eyes

Bruce

« Reply #40 on: June 29, 2009, 08:59:09 am »

I don't have any EMPI parts on my car.
bugnut68

« Reply #41 on: June 29, 2009, 16:49:03 pm »

No, I've never had occasion to, but I also don't hear nearly as many complaints about the good Webers (Spanish or Italian); U.S. made Webers I've been told suck, and I have no idea who would be the point of contact anyway.  For an outfit that specializes VW parts, though, I would expect a firm the size of EMPI to back up their products.

stealth67vw

« Reply #42 on: June 30, 2009, 01:10:11 am »

YES, well Rick Sadler did for me. He was just taking care of a customer(me) like any decent company would.

John Bates
JB Machining Services
1967 street bug 2020lbs w/driver
12.34 @ 108 mph 1/4
7.76 @ 89mph 1/8
jamiep_jamiep

« Reply #43 on: July 01, 2009, 08:05:02 am »

Rick Sadler ain't Weber  Wink

bugnut68

« Reply #44 on: July 01, 2009, 18:52:46 pm »

No, but Bugpack does indeed sell and carry Weber carburetors...Grin
jamiep_jamiep

« Reply #45 on: July 02, 2009, 11:29:10 am »

Which is the EXACT same thing that EMPI have done - referred a buyer to a dealer!!!! Rick Sadler = dealer.  Wink

I'm not sticking up for EMPI, cos I know they do a lot of shit parts, but lets compare apples with apples here, OK?

We're talking about carbs, and we're talking about manufacturers. Not chrome fanshrouds, or local service.

CARBS.

Keep smilin'

Wink Grin Grin Grin

bugnut68

« Reply #46 on: July 02, 2009, 16:52:07 pm »

Which is the EXACT same thing that EMPI have done - referred a buyer to a dealer!!!! Rick Sadler = dealer.  Wink

I'm not sticking up for EMPI, cos I know they do a lot of shit parts, but lets compare apples with apples here, OK?

We're talking about carbs, and we're talking about manufacturers. Not chrome fanshrouds, or local service.

CARBS.

Keep smilin'

Wink Grin Grin Grin

Actually, Bugpack isn't a dealer, I believe they're a  distributor of Weber carburetors.  They don't manufacture Weber carburetors and they don't sell direct to the public, but they do sell to their dealers.  Vee Dub Parts Unlimited or any other number of business that carry Bugpack products are dealers.

EMPI manufactures and distributes their EPC carbs to their dealers.  I'm not saying that customers should contact EMPI's Chinese, Indonesian, Taiwanese or other third-world factories and expect to get service; EMPI's Orangethorpe Avenue people should reasonably provide backing on their products and I don't see how anyone could expect otherwise.  I'd want the company's input on whatever issues I'd have rather than somebody working behind a counter that may not be as familiar with the product.
jamiep_jamiep

« Reply #47 on: July 03, 2009, 09:32:43 am »

Roll Eyes Wink Cheesy

Fair enough Bugnut... hehehe.... I suppose I just wanted the thread to concentrate on the query put forward by the OP, but I'm guilty of sidetracking it too now!

Keep smiling!
Jamie

bugnut68

« Reply #48 on: July 03, 2009, 16:43:04 pm »

Roll Eyes Wink Cheesy

Fair enough Bugnut... hehehe.... I suppose I just wanted the thread to concentrate on the query put forward by the OP, but I'm guilty of sidetracking it too now!

Keep smiling!
Jamie

I am guilty as charged, as Dewey Cox sang! Grin 
jamiep_jamiep

« Reply #49 on: July 03, 2009, 16:46:53 pm »

Hahaha... Dewey Cox has a line on us all mate...

Grin Grin

Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: