The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 26, 2024, 19:53:22 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350866 Posts in 28606 Topics by 6827 Members
Latest Member: bmwjaguare5
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  EMPI EPC opinions???
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: EMPI EPC opinions???  (Read 17383 times)
GreenTom

« on: June 23, 2009, 15:47:02 pm »

Any opinions on them???

« Last Edit: June 23, 2009, 15:53:24 pm by GreenTom » Logged

Aircooled Performance Gear
Quick Stick Performance
www.QuickStickVW.com
bugnut68

« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2009, 16:59:22 pm »

I would avoid EMPI/Mr. Bug not only because of the general shittiness of their parts quality, but also to the whorization of the VW industry that they are chiefly responsible for.  I can't believe it took them as long as it did to copycat the carbs being done by the Bergs and Jaycee in the early '90s.

I have a real hard time supporting a company whose directive in answering quality complaints is "go tell it to the dealer you bought it from."   Roll Eyes
Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2009, 17:33:01 pm »

I'll have to agree with Ryan 100%

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
bugnut68

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2009, 21:57:51 pm »

My favorite description of endearment for modern Empi parts is they suck chocolate hot dogs.

EMPI=Erroneously Made Poop Ingredients
RhoadsVW

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2009, 22:21:43 pm »

Bugnut said it all.  I had a set of 44's from Empi and the brass seat for the air mixture screw was missing.  Empi is only a few blocks from me.  I took it to them and showed them clearly what was wrong and they said I needed to take it back to where I bought it from.  There was no reason they could not exchange it there.  I had to get hold of my cust. and have him come down from Los Angeles and pick it up and take it back to where he bought it from.  Finially a few days later I recieved it back and was able to complete his motor.  Because of those JERKS at Empi almost a week was wasted. It wasn't liike I dumping some other brand carb on them.  Clearly see it was Empi and clearly see the problem.   NEVER BUY EMPI!!!!!!!  ALL THERE PARTS ARE JUNK!!!!!!!
                            Dave Rhoads

Der Renwagen Fuhrers
Rick Meredith
DKK

We can't force ya to have fun

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2009, 22:27:48 pm »

Gee guys... don't sugar coat it.... tell us what you really think!!!  Grin Grin Grin

67 Beetle - The Deuce Roadster of Cal Look
GreenTom

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2009, 22:30:16 pm »

thanx for all advices...

but putting avay all politicks likes and dislikes ... did any one tested them???

Quick Stick Performance
www.QuickStickVW.com
stealth67vw

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2009, 01:11:50 am »

I would rather stop driving my car than give 1 US cent to EMPI. Everything I have bought from them in the past is complete and utter garbage, and their customer service is non existant just like Dave said above. Your money is much better spent on quality parts and outstanding customer service like that of Bugpack. Rick Sadler and Dominic Luppino take care of their customers and it doesn't matter if you bought it from Joe Blow, they stand behind their products.

John Bates
JB Machining Services
1967 street bug 2020lbs w/driver
12.34 @ 108 mph 1/4
7.76 @ 89mph 1/8
Rennsurfer

D.B.O. Not a club; a state of mind.

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2009, 01:19:36 am »

Sheesh, I felt that way towards them back in the early '80s when Mr. Bug or whatever owned 'em. These days, I hear nothing but complaints regarding their piss-poor customer service, or lack thereof. Too bad they're getting away with raping the VW scene. It's all about money, ersatz products, and zero customer support.

Two thumbs down.

Even if the carbs happen to actually work... God help you if you ever need parts or service from them. That "Go to the dealer" crap is ultra weak.

"You can only scramble an egg so many ways."
~Sarge
bugnut68

« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2009, 02:09:13 am »

What  I find hiliarious is how people bitch about how much more expensive the better quality Webers are (the Spanish ones currently available), when you can go onto a site like the Samba, look up carbs in the classifieds and find them USED for often less than what new turd casting EMPI junk is going for!  There's always going to be that crybaby crowd that will say, "Whaah whahh, I can't afford the good stuff, so at least EMPI provides something for those of us that aren't rich."
Well, I'd say if you have to buy things more than once to get something decent that works, you're NOT saving anything in the process.  In fact, I'd say it makes a person mighty foolish.

I've seen some hilarious slogans for EMPI over the years:

EMPI is Chinese for Crap.

EMPI= Every Mistake Passes Inspection

EMPI= It's what comes out of your fanny after dinner.

EMPI=Exclusively Monster Piles (of shit, you understand) Incorporated

EMPI=Emitators Mass Produce Ixcrement (Okay, this was a stretch, but we have to assume the morons at EMPI can't spell, let alone make quality parts)

EMPI=Exhausts Mostly Poop Itstrue (another stretch, but I thought it was funny)

EMPI=Extremely Moody Post Installation (this could apply to any EMPI part purchase)

EMPI=Earlier Made Parts (with) Integrity (ah, the good old days)

EMPI= Swaheley for "the automotive component equivalent to eating a three-day old burrito or fajita laced with ultrapotent laxatives and then spending three days on the porcelain thrones with eater's remorse;" the extreme diarrhea represents the buyer's turmoil in trying to get the said shitty (pun intended) part to fit the car or engine or whatever, and the eater's remorse is a simile or pun for "why did I trust that damn little blue and white globe?  They're screwing people worldwide with this shittiness!"

EMPI= also Taiwanese for suckysucky buggybuggy...parts. (similar to Chinese definition, slightly different dialect, think its Mandarin, or something)

EMPI=Employees Masturbate (to) Profit Increase (don't believe me?  I think Dave's post pretty much backs it up).

EMPI=Extra Maird-ey Parts Incorporated (I've heard that Maird is French for 'poop,' 'shit,' or whatever synonym you may care to insert here)

Okay, I've only heard like the first one of those actually used on the web, the rest I pretty much made up.  I've got half a mind to email the masterminds at EMPI/Mr. Bug the link to this thread. Grin
stealth67vw

« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2009, 02:28:58 am »

I have done that very thing Ryan. I think they don't respond to emails, they never did to any of mine anyways.  Roll Eyes

John Bates
JB Machining Services
1967 street bug 2020lbs w/driver
12.34 @ 108 mph 1/4
7.76 @ 89mph 1/8
bugnut68

« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2009, 02:39:18 am »

I have done that very thing Ryan. I think they don't respond to emails, they never did to any of mine anyways.  Roll Eyes

When some idiot named Eddie Anderson used to work there, he wrote back and told me my grasp of English was astounding.  Lol.  I heard he later got fired, but the next guy posted up on the Samba in some guy's thread about an exhaust and he was equally worthless.
Jim M

« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2009, 03:13:57 am »

I would avoid EMPI/Mr. Bug not only because of the general shittiness of their parts quality, but also to the whorization of the VW industry that they are chiefly responsible for.  I can't believe it took them as long as it did to copycat the carbs being done by the Bergs and Jaycee in the early '90s.
Maybe even farther back , Dave Bonbright 1980's, . He is a master innovator. First to put a bus box in a bug, first to bore a set of ida's out, first to make a vertigate style shift  linkage....

Porters Precision
Rennsurfer

« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2009, 03:51:50 am »

EMPI=Exclusively Monster Piles (of shit, you understand) Incorporated

HAHAHA!!! Those are some good ones. But that one, above, is my favorite. When I was just out of high school in the early '80s, we'd call everything that was crap a "pile." It was a more polite way of saying pile of (censored). Thanks for the memories.

~Sarge
JS

« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2009, 06:11:45 am »

thanx for all advices...

but putting avay all politicks likes and dislikes ... did any one tested them???

A couple of street cars in Sweden that runs low 11īs report that they work great.

Signature.
jamiep_jamiep

« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2009, 09:05:01 am »

I have read that they need a good check over (as you would with any part before putting it on your car) but they worked fine.

Never experienced the customer service etc. as never bought a part off them.

If you're after IDA's Tom I have a set that I'll be putting up for sale soon, come fitted with standard 37mm vents but I have a set of custome machined 41mm vents to go with them. I forget the jetting now.... they run a Berg linkage and Scat Trak manifolds which have only had a little porting to suit a set of CB oval ports. PM me if you're interested.

Cheers
Jamie

GreenTom

« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2009, 09:30:20 am »

I have read that they need a good check over (as you would with any part before putting it on your car) but they worked fine.

Never experienced the customer service etc. as never bought a part off them.

If you're after IDA's Tom I have a set that I'll be putting up for sale soon, come fitted with standard 37mm vents but I have a set of custome machined 41mm vents to go with them. I forget the jetting now.... they run a Berg linkage and Scat Trak manifolds which have only had a little porting to suit a set of CB oval ports. PM me if you're interested.

Cheers
Jamie

Hi Jamie,

how is youre car doing afther drag day on SP?

I just asked totally toretycally about only the casting Smiley cuz I can get them cheep as sheet Cheesy (don't ask how Cheesy) and the parts are interchangable with IDA's Cheesy so I really need the casting Smiley
I'm looking for italian IDA's for sure Smiley (spoted few on the samba)
what are yours Jamie? the jests aren't a problem Smiley.
If I will be buing IDA I will need only the carbs... cuz I have briliant and neet VWSPEEDSHOP llinkage Cheesy for them Cheesy (don't ask Paul if they fit IDA's Cheesy there will be only one answer...).

As always people speak about politicks asked about techincal things  = no arguments Cheesy thats my opinion.

JS posted that they work... I just don't give a shit who this days EMPI people are and how they treat customers... cuz I won't get those things from them Tongue

Quick Stick Performance
www.QuickStickVW.com
jamiep_jamiep

« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2009, 09:48:12 am »

Hi Tom, I'm displaying it at a local show this weekend, so I guess I should get it going again! I'll fit up my Hyfire setup this week I think...

Re: my IDA's, they're Spanish not Italian, but as I got them for a good price off a fellow club member last year I'm selling them on at a good price too. I think there's a picture of them on our club blog, you need to scroll back through to June last year and its a pair of carbs on a shelf.

Don't tell Paul you're planning on using his linkage on IDA's, he'll be foaming at the mouth!  Cheesy

I can't help wodering though Tom, if buying the EPC's for the bodies and then fitting them out with weber parts may be as expensive as just getting a set of Webers to start with. Those parts can be pretty pricey! I think if you can get the whole EPC carbs for a good price just try using them!

Good luck. btw, are you in the UK still?

GreenTom

« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2009, 11:11:45 am »

hehe just wondering about those EPC... really I would love to have itlatians on the back...

Paul knows what I'm going to do.. he's not happy thouhg Cheesy but EFI will apear one day in my cars so... Cheesy there is hope that I'll get "normal" Wink

Will you be on EBI?

PS. I'm back in Poland at the moment byt I'm going to visit UK soon (after EBI)
« Last Edit: June 24, 2009, 11:20:06 am by GreenTom » Logged

Quick Stick Performance
www.QuickStickVW.com
John Maher

« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2009, 12:09:32 pm »

A couple of weeks ago I ran a Berg 52 IDA motor on the dyno.
I took off the Bergs, fitted a pair of EMPI EPC 51s and picked up 7bhp.

The reason I removed the Bergs was due to rough running at idle and part throttle opening.
I wanted to confirm the running issues were carb related so bolted on the Chinese carbs to check my theory.
I checked float levels, synched the linkage and fired it up. They ran smooth with good snappy throttle response.
Two WOT acceleration testes was all I did but was pleased how well they worked.
Spending time rectifying the Berg carbs would no doubt claim back the lost power so this is far from conclusive evidence the EMPIs actually make more power.
All I can say is they ran pretty good during that brief test.
To date that's my only experience with EPC carbs.

Don't want to get into a pro/anti EMPI argument.
Bear in mind many of the big VW suppliers are now sourcing a number of their parts from China.
Sometimes the only difference in parts from the big vendors is the logo on the packaging.

Here's just one example of what's going on...
One of the 'quality' parts suppliers practically everyone on here holds in high regard, buys certain parts from EMPI and repackages them as their own product!
Who's ripping who?   Wink

John Maher

GreenTom

« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2009, 12:37:39 pm »

I must say thank You Mr.Maher.

Witch parts from china is like that:
You can cut the costs really low but you can't expect eaven a poor quality. But... if you'll pay and talk to them You can get really good parts with really good quality stil with really good price.
A lot of people buys parts from china, my friend gets a mopeds from china and big industrial machines (in really big numbers)... afther few trips to China and putting them on a propper tracks he ended with very good quality machines in resonable price. They will do everything you wont but you have to know how to talk with them Cheesy.

Quick Stick Performance
www.QuickStickVW.com
jamiep_jamiep

« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2009, 13:14:53 pm »

A couple of weeks ago I ran a Berg 52 IDA motor on the dyno.
I took off the Bergs, fitted a pair of EMPI EPC 51s and picked up 7bhp.

The reason I removed the Bergs was due to rough running at idle and part throttle opening.
I wanted to confirm the running issues were carb related so bolted on the Chinese carbs to check my theory.
I checked float levels, synched the linkage and fired it up. They ran smooth with good snappy throttle response.
Two WOT acceleration testes was all I did but was pleased how well they worked.
Spending time rectifying the Berg carbs would no doubt claim back the lost power so this is far from conclusive evidence the EMPIs actually make more power.
All I can say is they ran pretty good during that brief test.
To date that's my only experience with EPC carbs.

Nice to hear actual experience rather than just the same argument trotted out everytime! Hows things John?

bugnut68

« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2009, 17:12:34 pm »

I honestly don't care if the carbs are good... it's not about politics, it's about supporting businesses who support our hobby/industry.  I wouldn't say EMPI necessarily supports our industry by churning out a huge pile of crappy parts and having one set of carburetors that are quality; I don't care if they do sponsor the Pro Mod class, Dave Rhoad's post says it all.  He walked in to their building with their carbs and they wouldn't service him, they sent him back to the dealer.  That's crap, I'm sorry.
JS

« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2009, 20:30:57 pm »

I donīt either want to get in an argument about EMPI in general, as the quality of most of their parts Iīve tried have NOT been good enough...
But, the only people I know who have them have reported that their EPC carbs has worked very well. The HPMX is a COMPLETELY different story!!
Same goes for their single Dellorto/Solex copy...
Please bear in mind that the cars Iīm talking about have not done many miles, so donīt know how they are for longevity...

The problem that John has with the Berg 58īs are the same as a friend here in Norway has experienced...

Signature.
Dominick Luppino

« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2009, 22:39:35 pm »

I would rather stop driving my car than give 1 US cent to EMPI. Everything I have bought from them in the past is complete and utter garbage, and their customer service is non existant just like Dave said above. Your money is much better spent on quality parts and outstanding customer service like that of Bugpack. Rick Sadler and Dominic Luppino take care of their customers and it doesn't matter if you bought it from Joe Blow, they stand behind their products.

Thanks Grin
Bryan67

« Reply #25 on: June 25, 2009, 03:43:18 am »

I don`t about these carbs but have heard bad things about their Solex copies. However, I think I`ve been doing the VW thing long enough to know just by looking at it if something is junk. I would think that the store that the parts are bought from should honer the parts and warranty them for you. Thats no excuse for EMPI`s poor customer service however. AS far as other companies repackaging products.... I doubt they are fooling anyone in the know and besides, does anyone really expect every company out there to make their own parts entirely? No way. I don`t like the fact that they sell poor quality parts but I still buy a few things from EMPI. Would you rather they just went away completly?

If you`re going to do something, do it right.
Rennsurfer

« Reply #26 on: June 25, 2009, 06:22:37 am »

Would you rather they just went away completly?

YES.

The VW world would be a much better place. EMPI hasn't been EMPI since the original people owned/operated it... period. And THAT'S the bottom line.

~Sarge
GreenTom

« Reply #27 on: June 25, 2009, 11:55:27 am »

ok lets talk in this way....

I can have the carb like IDA or EMPI EPC... cheep Wink no logo no nothing Cheesy but the same casting as EMPI EPC...
I need an oinion on the casthing...
I don't bother who is runing EMPI... I buy parts from Bug Pack CB Bergs and scat... I have never bought anything from EMPI so please don't write abut how EMPI shity parts are.... cuz every one knows what the quality is...

I just asked a question about the THIS CARB...
there is so manny posts and only 2 talks about things that interests me...

Quick Stick Performance
www.QuickStickVW.com
Bryan67

« Reply #28 on: June 25, 2009, 15:31:31 pm »

Would you rather they just went away completly?

YES.

The VW world would be a much better place. EMPI hasn't been EMPI since the original people owned/operated it... period. And THAT'S the bottom line.

Yeah I know all that. But nothing is the same as it used to be. I think its companies like that who keep the VW scene alive amongst a sea of FWD imports and airbagged trucks. Have you actually taken the time to look through the latest EMPI catalouge? There is some pretty cool new products in there.

If you`re going to do something, do it right.
bugnut68

« Reply #29 on: June 25, 2009, 16:46:44 pm »

Bottom line is as long as people are attracted by the cheaper price, EMPI will continue to thrive.  I just can't support a company that obviously doesn't give two shits about its customers.  I'd rather do without than have a sub-par outfit around making crap because the market supports affordable garbage rather than quality stuff that may cost more.  The VW world brought it on itself, because people are cheap.  I don't know why it's so hard to wait, save up and get the good stuff, even if it means putting a project on hold for awhile versus buying cheaper parts and having it "right now."  I think that says something about our society as a whole.
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: