The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 10, 2024, 01:04:18 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350905 Posts in 28608 Topics by 6828 Members
Latest Member: GSW Racing
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  dropped spindles - problem (?)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: dropped spindles - problem (?)  (Read 9277 times)
qubek

« on: January 14, 2007, 01:49:05 am »

Now we all know that dropped spindles are not enough Wink
So see what happened when I installed them on my car:

At the beginning, it looked like this:  Smiley

It is totally impossible do drive the Bug like that, it rubs almost all the time. And it will be my daily driver once finished. The tires are 155-15 (right) and 165-15 (left) - those are temporary wheels. The left side is lower - previous owner replaced one of the rear torsion bars and didn't adjust it right.

What do you think? I think it's to low for a car dropped just with spindles. Broken leaves in the beam?

I know that it looks right that way, but I cannot drive it like that.

I have repro BRMs and I'm proud! :]
richie

« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2007, 02:16:21 am »

i have found that the 2inch drop spindles typically drop 2 1/2 inches +,not ideal,you need 145s to clear or  I add adjusters to give some adjustment upwards if needed,cheers richie,uk

Cars are supposed to be driven, not just talked about!!!   

Good parts might be expensive but good advice is priceless Wink
qubek

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2007, 02:59:10 am »

Usually people add adjusters to drop the car even more  Smiley
155 rubs like hell, and i was only driving slowly on the backyard, so I don't now if 145s will help much. I expected some problems with 155s, but not that much.
I have 155/70s on the other car, I'll probably try those, but the main question is whether my situation is normal or should i check the leaves or something.

besserwisser

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2007, 10:26:01 am »

I think that the problem is that dropped spindles makes the front beam wider. To drive a lowered bettle you need to have the wheel in the highest place of the fender. You need to take front beam of and install two adjusters. At the same time shorten the beam 25mm per side for linkpin and up to 38mm for balljoint. Be careful to set the adjusters at 50%up and 50% down. At the same time as you shorten the beam correct the 15mm that the beam is offcenter. In your case i´m sure that right now one fender is worse than the other. Meassure before you remove the frot beam. The above is just my experience over the last 25+ years.
Lids

show me the chedder

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2007, 10:49:33 am »

I only use dropped spindles, but use 4.5 rims and 145 rubber.  I do not have any problems with rubbing and have a nice comfortable ride.

If there's enough horse shit around, there must be a pony!
Buy your ciderberry here.

http://www.thatcherscider.co.uk/
Type1/DVK

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2007, 14:16:17 pm »

I had 175'ers up front, did not rub when i was alone in the bug, but with 2persons it rubbed instant! so 145/65ers will do! Cheesy

(original but with dropped spindels..)

DDD#8 - 14.74sec @ 1776cc - Member of:  DVK ~ Der Vollgas Kreuzers  - www.ultimatevw.nl - and racing engines
colin jardine

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2007, 16:59:22 pm »

I think that the problem is that dropped spindles makes the front beam wider. To drive a lowered bettle you need to have the wheel in the highest place of the fender. You need to take front beam of and install two adjusters. At the same time shorten the beam 25mm per side for linkpin and up to 38mm for balljoint. Be careful to set the adjusters at 50%up and 50% down. At the same time as you shorten the beam correct the 15mm that the beam is offcenter. In your case i´m sure that right now one fender is worse than the other. Meassure before you remove the frot beam. The above is just my experience over the last 25+ years.

I think besserwisser has hit the nail on the head, dropped spindles increase the track width.  I run a combination of 2 1/2" dropped spindles, and a modest 2" narrowed beam with avix style adjusters.  I've ran a couple of different types of wheels on the front with different offsets, and have had to adjust the ride height accordingly.  My desire to slam the front end on the deck faded when i rubbed all the fresh paint off my wings!!

If you do pull the leaves out to check, your half way there towards fitting those adjusters and narrowing it. Smiley
Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2007, 03:23:56 am »

Put 145s on it and a pair of caster shims. The shims will raise the front every so slightly, and combined with the 145 tires it will solve your problem.

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
alex d

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2007, 09:30:47 am »

Strange, I've got a friend with dropped spindles and disk brakes and has no rubbing issues with 155R15 tires on stock steelies.
Jon
Administrator

12,3@174km/t at Gardermoen 2008

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2007, 09:46:15 am »

The leaf springs have broken on the drivers side.  Or the trailing arms are stuck in some way.
Keep us updated!

Grumpy old men have signatures like this.
qubek

« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2007, 11:07:42 am »

Keep us updated!

I will. I'll replace the leafs and maybe put 155/70s this week.
I do not have access to 145s here, and I would not like to order them abroad just for checking. Maybe in the and I'll have to, we'll see.

qubek

« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2007, 20:12:45 pm »

I will. I'll replace the leafs and maybe put 155/70s this week.

Well. I was a little bit optimistic, it finally took me over a month to find free time.
I finally decided to swap the beams with my other car. Now I have stock width adjustable beam here and dropped spindles in the other one. The tires are 155/65s, but I will change them for the summer. The stance is decent (IMO), ride quality is really good.

The car with dropped spindles has 5,5x15 ET34 ATS wheels with 155/70 tires and no rubbing issues

So now, I have only rear suspension, engine, interior and wheels to do Wink

JS

« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2007, 21:09:03 pm »

Is there something wrong with the rear suspension? Wink

Signature.
qubek

« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2007, 20:55:31 pm »

Is there something wrong with the rear suspension? Wink
Well, one torsion bar is long, the other one is short. They are adjusted properly (the car is not straight). The rubbers are probably worn. The shocks are worn for sure.
So yes, I would say that there is something wrong with the rear suspension  Wink

Shubee2 (DSK)

"There's No School Like OLD SCHOOL"

« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2007, 00:35:48 am »

Your car looks to be a 1966 Bettle in 61-68 all the rear Torsion Bars were short with a capped off cover if you have a long torsion bar on one side that the problem the longer the bar the more twist so to make it the same it needs more preload But I would Change to A New set of Short torsion Bars in  As Far as the dropped front Spindles they are 3/4 of inch wider then stock on a ball joint front end you need to run a 2 inch narrowed beam it will also allow you to use more wheel and tire choices
« Last Edit: March 02, 2007, 00:38:10 am by Shubee2 (DSK) » Logged

Der Selten Kafers VW Club.
Founding Member Est: 1976

58 Ragtop Old School Cal Look
66 Cal Look Drag Car
67 Resto Cal Look
67 Chevy II Nova L79
02 Camaro Vert!
04 Corvette Vert!
04 Colorado Pickup
tomi g

« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2007, 17:30:11 pm »

I have dropped spindles  in my '66 and '70 bugs /4,5" rims with 145/80 tyres/ and do have rubbing problems  only at the corners while braking, with 4 people in the car. In my experience if you go for just a minor lowering a properly adjusted beam  will do the job, and you still  have the comfort of the ride that you can have with dropped spindles. I use it in my Ghia and works perfectly.
For radical lowering  you have to shorten the beam accordingly to the size of the rims you want to use /4,5 ET 34 or 5,5 ET 40 with
135 tyres are the best/. If the shortening is more than 8 cm, you should forget the schocks. The riding comfort will suffer, but the whole thing is not about the comfort Smiley)
For the '66 model year - seems to me that yours  is a '66 - the ball joint front suspension was introduced, while the rear remained the same. That's why the front track is about 4 cm wider than the rear.  Regards, tomi
qubek

« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2007, 17:40:22 pm »

Your car looks to be a 1966 Bettle in 61-68 all the rear Torsion Bars were short with a capped off cover if you have a long torsion bar on one side that the problem the longer the bar the more twist so to make it the same it needs more preload But I would Change to A New set of Short torsion Bars
I totally agree and replacement is what I intended to do.
Although I'll probably end up using a pair of used bars
in  As Far as the dropped front Spindles they are 3/4 of inch wider then stock on a ball joint front end you need to run a 2 inch narrowed beam it will also allow you to use more wheel and tire choices
We'll see. For now the spindles work and there's no rubbing. If I'll decide to go lower I'll probably shorten the beam. I don't know yet what I will do with the second car. I'll probably change my mind few times before starting the project  Smiley
What I definitely won't do is to shorten the beam more then necessary. I hate the "tricycle look".
Quote from: tomi g
For the '66 model year - seems to me that yours  is a '66 - the ball joint front suspension was introduced, while the rear remained the same. That's why the front track is about 4 cm wider than the rear.  Regards, tomi
Unfortunately this is the case. I don't know if saying that on this forum is smart Wink but i hate the way narrow rear end looks. It's not good for handling either.

qubek

« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2007, 12:16:20 pm »

Your car looks to be a 1966 Bettle in 61-68 all the rear Torsion Bars were short with a capped off cover if you have a long torsion bar on one side that the problem the longer the bar the more twist so to make it the same it needs more preload But I would Change to A New set of Short torsion Bars
I totally agree and replacement is what I intended to do.
Although I'll probably end up using a pair of used bars
Yesterday, about 3 hours after i wrote this, the longer bar broke  Grin  Grin

Shubee2 (DSK)

« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2007, 16:58:25 pm »

LOL Well its telling you something   Good Luck!!

66 Cal Look Drag Car
67 Resto Cal Look
67 Chevy II Nova L79
02 Camaro Vert!
04 Corvette Vert!
04 Colorado Pickup
qubek

« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2007, 22:33:48 pm »

This made me think that maybe used bars are not the best solution Wink. But then I started to search and I can't find stock bars anywhere. I can see that they sell them on CIP1 for example, but in Europe, all i could find are sway-a-ways (or something) which are expensive and not something I really need.

Shubee2 (DSK)

« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2007, 03:47:39 am »

Here you Go Only $20.00 Enjoy Check out Samba # 375827 hope it helps you out

TheSamba.com Classifieds Index -> Parts -> General Parts
Swingaxle Torsion Bars Ad number: 375827

Full size   
Swingaxle Torsion Bars - $20/Pair 
Stock torsion bars for 1960-68 swingaxle vehicles, 21.75" in length, $20/pair plus shipping. 

66 Cal Look Drag Car
67 Resto Cal Look
67 Chevy II Nova L79
02 Camaro Vert!
04 Corvette Vert!
04 Colorado Pickup
qubek

« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2007, 08:08:34 am »

"Location: Minden, Nevada, USA" is the problem.
If I lived in USA, I would already have a new pair ordered.
But thanks anyway.

alex d

« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2007, 10:53:42 am »

csp have torsion bars listed in their catalog, but at a price!
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: