The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 05, 2024, 07:44:55 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
351094 Posts in 28640 Topics by 6846 Members
Latest Member: JamesBoyd
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  Assembly lube on cam and main bearings
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Assembly lube on cam and main bearings  (Read 3438 times)
Brandon Sinclair

« on: July 02, 2009, 18:54:06 pm »

I have always used the STP/motor oil mix on main and cam bearings on final assembly.  I am just curious if anyone uses assembly lube on them since I often see motor builds on tv and in magazines using assembly lube.
Jim Ratto

« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2009, 18:59:35 pm »

I use straight 30 oil
Tony M

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2009, 21:40:28 pm »

Redline assembly lube

Life is too fast to drive a slow VW
Jesse/DVK

'64 2176cc

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2009, 22:11:20 pm »

Torco assembly lube Smiley

Der Vollgas Kreuzers
RhoadsVW

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2009, 00:47:28 am »

Mostly using Torco assembly lube but lately been using Joe Gibbs Racing assembly lube.   The Gibbs is almost like putting a grease on everything.   The torco sometimes wants to run off the part you put it on because it's thinner.  Especially the lifters that are vertical in the case.  The last dozen or so engines have been with the Gibbs.   I have not have any problems with the Torco but like the texture of the Gibbs. It doesn't have the  tendency to run off.     Dave Rhoads

Der Renwagen Fuhrers
Ohio Tom (DdK)

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2009, 02:17:38 am »

I use a 50/50 mix of stp and motor oil for assembly lube. The stp helps keep the oil in place during the time from assembly to starup.

Ohio Tom
08'.. 3 R/U...3 Win...
Diederick/DVK

They're never done till they're sold

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2009, 08:09:25 am »

dave, do you mean you don't use the red lube that comes with e.g. engle cams on the lifters?

Diederick
 -
Proud member of:
DVK ~ Der Vollgas Kreuzers
RhoadsVW

« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2009, 17:35:32 pm »

dave, do you mean you don't use the red lube that comes with e.g. engle cams on the lifters?

No,  not in the last several motors.  I have taken motors apart that sat for a few weeks with the the Torco  lube that the cust. wanted to change cam and the lube was in the bottom of the case. That always bothered me. It just wouldn't stay on the lifter except for a really thin layer.  I like the thicker grease type the stays put where you put it.  I never used the Red Line that came with Engle.  I always used the Torco instead.  I was a little thicker. If the motor was to be started in a matter of couple days the Torco would be OK I feel.  It wouldn't have time to run off so quick.     Dave Rhoads

Der Renwagen Fuhrers
Martin Greaves

10.88@128.58

« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2009, 18:07:55 pm »

I have just use the Joe Gibbs Racing assembly lube this week for the first time on my motor. As Dave has said the Gibbs is very thick and is like grease.

www.joegibbsracingoil.com/products/ag.html

Hahaha your killing me.........
Brandon Sinclair

« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2009, 16:38:06 pm »

I used the Gibbs lube this weekend on the cam and lifters, and you guys were not kidding this stuff is like grease.

Thanks for the heads up Dave.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: