The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 03, 2024, 17:36:26 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350874 Posts in 28608 Topics by 6828 Members
Latest Member: GSW Racing
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  Lowered spindles, a gift from the gods or a look wrecking option?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Lowered spindles, a gift from the gods or a look wrecking option?  (Read 11752 times)
Diederick/DVK

They're never done till they're sold

« Reply #30 on: January 07, 2007, 20:10:04 pm »

..bast*rds!   ...also, as G(ay)FK were mentioned... since these photos were taken; it's a bit higher at the back now!    Wink

sweet ride nonetheless!
but a little more rake won't harm anything, any new pics of that? or would that be your avatar?
you running t bars these days? or switching according to your mood?  Wink

Diederick
 -
Proud member of:
DVK ~ Der Vollgas Kreuzers
54Kab

Steve Mortimer

« Reply #31 on: January 07, 2007, 20:20:09 pm »

Hi, -don't have many pics on my PC.  -The T-bars were on while the bumpers were being refurbished.. but the other guys think I should run T-bars all the time  Roll Eyes

...I don't like the stone chips!  -maybe I'm just getting old  Smiley

---------------------------------------------------------

'Super Sano Street cars' for me, thank you
Eddie DVK

« Reply #32 on: January 07, 2007, 23:02:33 pm »

although the beam may be narrowed by 2" a side , by the time you take into account the added offset of the drop spindles , and the increased offset of the wheel that you are using , the ' actual ' narrowing , is more like 3/4" to 1 " , just enough to tuck the wheel under , to stop rubbing issues .

and otherwise you can space them out with spacers....

Kind regards Edgar

Regards Edgar

" Type 4, it is a completely different engine. You have to drive one to understand! "
Rick Meredith
DKK

We can't force ya to have fun

« Reply #33 on: January 08, 2007, 09:00:39 am »

When I built my '67 I lowered it by pulling all the split bars and one large bar out of each tube. The rest of the front end was set up like this. Ghia Spindles and rotors and T3 calipers. Shocks were Monroe Blues off of a '66 Plymouth Valiant. This lowered the front about 7 inches. Looked great... rode like absolute shit! I remember that I had to avoid the 5 Freeway because of its condition and how the car would bounce... it was enough to knock dental fillings loose.

When I put the car back together I'm going with a 2" narrowed adjustable beam, dropped spindles and the same brake set up.

67 Beetle - The Deuce Roadster of Cal Look
Peter Roberts

« Reply #34 on: January 08, 2007, 09:30:57 am »

Hi, -don't have many pics on my PC.  -The T-bars were on while the bumpers were being refurbished.. but the other guys think I should run T-bars all the time  Roll Eyes

...I don't like the stone chips!  -maybe I'm just getting old  Smiley

Yes , the T bars do give the paint a hard time , some Club Bra purchasing required for this year i feel .

The cab did look cool though ...

Diederick/DVK

They're never done till they're sold

« Reply #35 on: January 08, 2007, 10:44:11 am »

t bars look a bit harder, a bit less resto  Wink Grin

i'd love to see the greenhearts introducing bras to cal-look  Cheesy
would be quite revolutionary

Diederick
 -
Proud member of:
DVK ~ Der Vollgas Kreuzers
Jon
Administrator

12,3@174km/t at Gardermoen 2008

« Reply #36 on: January 08, 2007, 11:23:40 am »

Shocks were Monroe Blues off of a '66 Plymouth Valiant. ... rode like absolute shit!

I would think those shocks were more than up to the task...  a bit heavier that Plymouth  Wink

Grumpy old men have signatures like this.
Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #37 on: January 08, 2007, 16:47:30 pm »

When I was younger and dumber I dropped the nose of my '67 using only adjusters, GR-2 shocks, and eventually 195/50 tires! I couldnt even get the toe of my shoe under the front apron, and I would piss blood after a long drive!! Im sure my kidneys will thank the drop spindles! Grin

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
Rick Meredith
DKK

We can't force ya to have fun

« Reply #38 on: January 08, 2007, 19:25:23 pm »

Shocks were Monroe Blues off of a '66 Plymouth Valiant. ... rode like absolute shit!

I would think those shocks were more than up to the task...  a bit heavier that Plymouth  Wink

I'm sure... the trick to using them was to take the bottom bushing out of a VW shock and use a vice with a deep socket to press out the Plymouth bushing while simultaneously pushing in the VW bushing.

67 Beetle - The Deuce Roadster of Cal Look
Shubee2 (DSK)

"There's No School Like OLD SCHOOL"

« Reply #39 on: July 04, 2009, 06:00:46 am »

' Dorked ' beam , CB Dropped spindles , VW disc brakes , with 6" late Fusch's , with 155's ( sorry no 145's ) , tucked a little , but not too much ( in my opinion ) , Spax adjustable shocks ( set up firm-ish ) .

The ' Dorking ' of the beam , does stiffen up the torsion effect of the leaves , as they have a shorter length to work over .

As for comfort , you wouldn't know you were riding in a lowered car , 1000 miles to DAS and back , in relative comfort ( apart from the earplugs  Grin )

That ride is damn comfortable,ear plugs!Who needs ear plugs when your asleep.  Grin Wink
Whats up with the Rear?? the left wheel sticks out of the fender and the right side tucks in? short & long Axle? Aftermarket left rear fender?

Der Selten Kafers VW Club.
Founding Member Est: 1976

58 Ragtop Old School Cal Look
66 Cal Look Drag Car
67 Resto Cal Look
67 Chevy II Nova L79
02 Camaro Vert!
04 Corvette Vert!
04 Colorado Pickup
Peter Roberts

« Reply #40 on: July 04, 2009, 23:08:23 pm »

The gearbox had long axles in that photo , and on all long axle cars , the wheel on the number 3 &4 cylinder side , always sticks out more than the other side , I don't know why . The car has been fitted with short axles for a few years now , no more wheels sticking out .
alfie the monster

« Reply #41 on: July 05, 2009, 11:53:48 am »

4" is GFK style in my opinion  Wink
Do all JG54 rides have lowered spindles?
Pete, as for balljoint beams... does the narrowing make for a pleasant drive? Or the lowered spindles?

I've been thinking of a 2" beam and spindles, but i reckon the tuck in will be too much with my 4.5" front wheels:
(don't mind the cambers, i need some aligning and fix the rear height)  Wink

The photos of the red car posted up showing the mods done to is mine. No GFK style here thanks  Wink

Oh and it rides like a Rolls Royce  Grin

JG54 Grunherz
Neil Davies

« Reply #42 on: July 06, 2009, 09:20:39 am »

The gearbox had long axles in that photo , and on all long axle cars , the wheel on the number 3 &4 cylinder side , always sticks out more than the other side , I don't know why . The car has been fitted with short axles for a few years now , no more wheels sticking out .

I thought it was shit pattern wings! On mine and a few friends cars the left hand rear wheels were always closer to the edge of the wing, and we'd all got IGP wings. I don't remember it being such a problem on my cousins husbands car with Day Mouldings wings.

2007cc, 48IDFs, street car. 14.45@93 on pump fuel, treads, muffler and fanbelt. October 2017!
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: