The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 29, 2024, 13:26:17 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350869 Posts in 28606 Topics by 6827 Members
Latest Member: bmwjaguare5
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  VW vendors; come and gone
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Print
Author Topic: VW vendors; come and gone  (Read 26913 times)
Dave Galassi

« Reply #30 on: July 28, 2009, 00:49:33 am »

There was "Ingrids" on 17th street in Santa Ana. Can't remember what it was really called but it was owned by this older German gal, Ingrid. Always had a lot of OE German stuff there. I remember buying a NOS VDO tach for my notcher there. Also bought my first set of Coco mats there.

Wow, Rick, good memory!  Ingrid and her husband Bodo.  European Car Accessories.  They used to answer the phone......."Alllooow, Yoorpeen carrsurrees!"  I would spend at least an hour each trip looking at the funky stuff they had.  Always went home with a treasure or two.  Jim Tusko introduced me to them.

It was like walking into MG Mitten back in the early 70's, but without any organization at all.

Wonder whatever happened to them?
lawrence

« Reply #31 on: July 28, 2009, 00:59:00 am »

I didn't know Donsco closed up.

Yeah, its been about two years now. I don't really need much for my car anymore, but it sucks not having a vw shop 5 minutes from my house. There was a small group of guys, myself included Grin, that hungout after hours, wreched on cars, had sawzall parties, ate good food and drank beer. Fun times.

"Happiness is a Hot VW!"

« Reply #32 on: July 28, 2009, 03:02:59 am »

There was "Ingrids" on 17th street in Santa Ana. Can't remember what it was really called but it was owned by this older German gal, Ingrid. Always had a lot of OE German stuff there. I remember buying a NOS VDO tach for my notcher there. Also bought my first set of Coco mats there.

Wow, Rick, good memory!  Ingrid and her husband Bodo.  European Car Accessories.  They used to answer the phone......."Alllooow, Yoorpeen carrsurrees!"  I would spend at least an hour each trip looking at the funky stuff they had.  Always went home with a treasure or two.  Jim Tusko introduced me to them.

It was like walking into MG Mitten back in the early 70's, but without any organization at all.

Ingrid and Bodo  have been selling the same items on e-bay for years !
Their username is  carbuff113
Their store had a fire in 1985, but they had a lot of inventory in storage.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2009, 04:05:26 am by Richard Roth » Logged

« Reply #33 on: July 28, 2009, 03:03:28 am »

Don't forget SPEEDWELL and Revmaster !
 Grin
« Last Edit: July 28, 2009, 04:00:29 am by Richard Roth » Logged
Lemonade
DKK

« Reply #34 on: July 28, 2009, 04:40:28 am »

Truk N Bug  Stanton, CA

We used to joke about going to see Jeffy at Trucky Buggy, LOL!

Lems
nlvtinman

« Reply #35 on: July 28, 2009, 04:48:29 am »

To give an answer to Dave Galassi- At the VW Treffen of two years ago, there was a red Hebmuller there. Kinda of a ratty car.
 Larry R recognized a couple standing and looking at it. It was Bodo and Ingrid.
Turns out that Bodo had owned the car some years back. He shared stories of how he was the importer for Okrassa,  Roll Eyes and that the Heb had at one time had a "built' motor in it.
They were happy to have someone remember them, and their store. Bodo had photos of the strip mall that the store was in, After the fire burned it to the ground. All gone. Cry
deano

« Reply #36 on: July 28, 2009, 05:18:54 am »

European Racing

Beck Enterprises

Feuling Engineering

Jerry's

Transform

Crown Engineering

Hadley Engineering

Action Fiberglass

Santana

Sand Tires Unlimited

Mitchell Wheels (I know, it is now Douglas....)

Caldwell Tires

Fibertech Engineering

Jay Byers Engineering

Hot VWs Magazine Window Washer
Anglia Obsolete Guru
'67 Heaven
Rick Meredith
DKK

We can't force ya to have fun

« Reply #37 on: July 28, 2009, 05:48:18 am »

I know their place burned down in the mid eighties. They rebuilt but they lost a lot of irreplaceable stock.. it was never the same.

67 Beetle - The Deuce Roadster of Cal Look
rick m

Driving Hot VWs for 44 Years Strong!

« Reply #38 on: July 28, 2009, 07:58:00 am »

Hey Richard Roth,

REVMASTER is not gone. They are still doing stuff last I heard.  Mike Fischer and Dan Lawson of CE (Competition Engineering) here in Tempe, Arizona, have done business with them a long time.  Unless I have been out of the loop too long...I heard they were still making parts but not specifically for VWs only.

Rick M

Rick Mortensen
Driving Hot VWs since 1970
jamiep_jamiep

« Reply #39 on: July 28, 2009, 08:30:42 am »

In the UK... Limited Edition. I think they were in Warrington? I remember going up with my brothers (I was stuill too young to drive) must be around 1990. I used to love reading their catalogues!

Lids

show me the chedder

« Reply #40 on: July 28, 2009, 08:52:42 am »

got my toxic shocks from limited edition, lets also not forget german car company in southend, UK.

If there's enough horse shit around, there must be a pony!
Buy your ciderberry here.

http://www.thatcherscider.co.uk/
streetvw

« Reply #41 on: July 28, 2009, 08:54:23 am »

In the UK... Limited Edition. I think they were in Warrington? I remember going up with my brothers (I was stuill too young to drive) must be around 1990. I used to love reading their catalogues!

I was just going to say about limited edition they started in warrington and then moved to high legh just north of knutsford. I spent a fortune in that shop  Roll Eyes
Fastbrit

Keep smiling...

« Reply #42 on: July 28, 2009, 09:25:21 am »

Autocavan LTD for my friends across the pond!
Gone but not forgotten – especially the Volksport section of the company (and the workshop where a young KS cut his teeth on VW race engines...). RIP  Cry

Der Kleiner Panzers VW Club    
12.56sec street-driven Cal Looker in 1995
9.87sec No Mercy race car in 1994
Seems like a lifetime ago...
Lids

show me the chedder

« Reply #43 on: July 28, 2009, 12:01:51 pm »

Autocavan LTD for my friends across the pond!
Gone but not forgotten – especially the Volksport section of the company (and the workshop where a young KS cut his teeth on VW race engines...). RIP  Cry

Got my first set of 94mm B&P's from them Smiley  Still have the catalog and price list.

If there's enough horse shit around, there must be a pony!
Buy your ciderberry here.

http://www.thatcherscider.co.uk/
beetletom

« Reply #44 on: July 28, 2009, 13:05:57 pm »

wizard roadsters! not really cal look, but did sell loads of 90's tat!  Cool
 but that was the coolest place when your 7-8 years old!!  Cheesy

Dave Galassi

« Reply #45 on: July 28, 2009, 14:32:40 pm »

Thanks for the memories Richard and Steve.  Get a load of those steering wheels.................
Shubee2 (DSK)

"There's No School Like OLD SCHOOL"

« Reply #46 on: July 28, 2009, 15:18:34 pm »

You Guys All Forgot the Parts whore Serano's Glad to See He's Gone he screwed alot of People and Copied alot of other vendors parts

Der Selten Kafers VW Club.
Founding Member Est: 1976

58 Ragtop Old School Cal Look
66 Cal Look Drag Car
67 Resto Cal Look
67 Chevy II Nova L79
02 Camaro Vert!
04 Corvette Vert!
04 Colorado Pickup
johnl

« Reply #47 on: July 28, 2009, 15:34:50 pm »

I think I've already told my Marion Weber (MG Mitten) story.  Anyway I purchased my first car cover from Marion at her store in 1964.  Good memories..................

I remember purchasing some items from them when they were located on Lincoln at 17th St. (by the railroad tracks) in Santa Ana.  Next they were west of Harbor Blvd. and just off 17th St., but still in Santa Ana.

My last encounter with them was in about 1981 and they were on the corner of Chapman Ave. and Main St. (southwest corner).  That building was torn down and now there is a strip mall there.  The side trim currently on our '63 sedan came from that location.

Both of them were definately from the "Old World"..............

I think I've already told my Marion Weber (MG Mitten) story.  Anyway I purchased my first car cover from Marion at her store in 1964.  Good memories..................

Volkswagens Limited, Der Kleiner Panzers Founder Member
Celebrating 60 years of Volkswagens in my life 1963-2023

Life is a learning experience and then you die but when you do you've lived a good life if you contributed to your fellow man.
Dave Galassi

« Reply #48 on: July 28, 2009, 16:13:34 pm »

I remember purchasing some items from them when they were located on Lincoln at 17th St. (by the railroad tracks) in Santa Ana.  Next they were west of Harbor Blvd. and just off 17th St., but still in Santa Ana.

My last encounter with them was in about 1981 and they were on the corner of Chapman Ave. and Main St. (southwest corner).  That building was torn down and now there is a strip mall there.  The side trim currently on our '63 sedan came from that location.

MG Mitten..................having grown up in Pasadena, we used to go to the Rose Parade (when you could drive your car up to the route, park and walk to a good spot on Colorado Blvd. {yes, that Colorado Blvd of Little Old Lady fame}) and stand in front of our neighbor's store (memory serves me he sold psychedelic flower and furry foot stickers and assorted other hippie trippy goods) to see the parade.  MG Mitten was a shop or two down from this store and when I got bored with the parade, would stand there looking in the window at the accessories.  Between that time ( real early 70's) and the late 70's, they disappeared.  Then Competition Engineering moved, Blair's was winding down........................

On a similiar, but different note:        Super Shops Stores...........anyone?   
Rick Meredith
DKK

« Reply #49 on: July 28, 2009, 17:24:11 pm »

Yep SuperShops and also Service Centers bought a lot of stuff for my 1st Mustang there.

Jim Ratto

« Reply #50 on: July 28, 2009, 17:26:57 pm »

MG Mitten..................having grown up in Pasadena, we used to go to the Rose Parade (when you could drive your car up to the route, park and walk to a good spot on Colorado Blvd. {yes, that Colorado Blvd of Little Old Lady fame}) and stand in front of our neighbor's store (memory serves me he sold psychedelic flower and furry foot stickers and assorted other hippie trippy goods) to see the parade.  MG Mitten was a shop or two down from this store and when I got bored with the parade, would stand there looking in the window at the accessories.  Between that time ( real early 70's) and the late 70's, they disappeared.  Then Competition Engineering moved, Blair's was winding down........................

On a similiar, but different note:        Super Shops Stores...........anyone?   

hahaha Super Shops. There was one right down the road from BH in San Leandro. I remember going in there to buy "contraband".... you'd pull up in a VW Bug and walk in and say "I called about the Holley Blue pump, I need 12' of Aeroquip -6, some 3/8 x -6 male adapers,.... do you have a 2-1/2" Flowmaster?" They'd stare blankly at ya, then crane their neck to see the VW in the parking lot, then ask you "what year make and model?"
 Roll Eyes
All my V8 meathead friends lived there drooling over Performer manifolds and Mallory uni-lites. I was @ BH leaving noseprints on their engine parts cabinet.
Rick Meredith
DKK

« Reply #51 on: July 28, 2009, 17:31:59 pm »

Oh and while not strictly a VW place, my employer for 10 years... BAP/Geon. I worked at the Santa Ana store first as a delivery driver, later as a counterman then moved to Anaheim as an Assistant Manager. When I decided to go back to college, I kept working there part time doing the school year. I'd work at Buena Park during the week and Anaheim on the weekends. I would sell more Weber carburetors by myself on Saturday than the rest of the staff did for the entire week including Saturdays.)  

During the summer, I worked as a "floater" filling in for people on vacation. I worked in Orange, Costa Mesa, Long Beach, Temple City, West Covina and Culver City. Maybe a few more that I don't remember.

johnl

« Reply #52 on: July 28, 2009, 18:03:47 pm »

Oh and while not strictly a VW place, my employer for 10 years... BAP/Geon. I worked at the Santa Ana store first as a delivery driver, later as a counterman then moved to Anaheim as an Assistant Manager. When I decided to go back to college, I kept working there part time doing the school year. I'd work at Buena Park during the week and Anaheim on the weekends. I would sell more Weber carburetors by myself on Saturday than the rest of the staff did for the entire week including Saturdays.)  

During the summer, I worked as a "floater" filling in for people on vacation. I worked in Orange, Costa Mesa, Long Beach, Temple City, West Covina and Culver City. Maybe a few more that I don't remember.

Rick,
I started my parts career working at the BAP store located at 1515 N. State College in Anaheim.  The store manager was the legendary Ron Odel.  He was a real hard ass, but probably the best parts man I've ever known.  Some years after that Ron had gone to work for someone who owned and operated a warehouse in the greater LA area.  Times were bad and I guess the owner decided to have the placed torched.  Ron observed this and testified against the owner and he went to prison. 

The owner threatened Ron and said his days were numberd.  Shortly after that guy got out of the big house Ron was found dead in a Motel room in the San Diego area.  It was ruled as natural, but it does make one wonder.

Also, I worked at the BAP 721 S. Main St. store in Santa Ana with Stan (bolt your parts down) Davis.  It was on the east side of the street and when the afternoon sun hit it temps at the counter went well over 100 degrees.  Had some times at the Buena Park store as well.  Drove by the Main St. location recently on a trip to Rimco.

Life is a learning experience and then you die but when you do you've lived a good life if you contributed to your fellow man.
johnl

« Reply #53 on: July 28, 2009, 18:11:26 pm »

There were two addresses I remember for MG Mitten.  One was 36 Chester St. and the other was Green St. both in Pasadena.  Can't remember which was the first one.

There was also Villiam B. Haan that was probably Mitten's competition.  I think they were in the Burbank or Glendale area.  Was only there once and the staff behind the counter had to wear neck ties and white shirts.  Zaz, the wife was a real piece of work.

The other place I remember in Pasadena was the Firestone store on Colorado Blvd.  Rich Kugel and I would go there to buy our Firestone Indy tires with the gold letterning and stripe.  We'd always stop at the Bob's Big Boy and have a couple of burgers while up there.  Anyone hungry  Huh Huh Huh Huh

Jim Ratto

« Reply #54 on: July 28, 2009, 18:47:49 pm »

how could I forget: The ORIGINAL *Buggy House* 1967-2001
 Cool

I was just about to add that one!  Grin

going there (before I was employed 1990-2000) in the late 80's was always an adventure. First off, it was a good 20 mile drive, on the freeway no less, and seeing as how me and most of my teenage peers were of the channel-lock/vise grips school of hard knocks, actually making it to BH in the first place was a great accomplishment. Of course there was the trip home to worry about. Sometimes our shopping list grew and evolved on the trip there Roll Eyes.
Once you got there, which guy you got to deal with over the counter determined your fate. If you wanted the right parts you needed Tony or Jerry. If you wanted the parts guy to decide which parts you wanted you needed Big Mark. If you wanted the wrong parts, you dealt with Ian or Rich. If you wanted a good ass chewing, it had to be Jerry. Always amazed me in later years how Jerry could pull off laying into a customer, putting together curse words I didn't even know existed, and taking the guy's $ with a smile...at the same time.
I remember when I was 17 going in there to talk to Jerry about building a 1914, VZ25 Engle, 041 heads, 44 Webers, etc. Yeah on my pizza-job income. My main goal in building this was eating up another kid's 2180cc in his '65 Bug, so I asked ol' Jer "uh Jerry once I am done building this do you think I can race this uh guy and uh, you know...uh beat him?" To which he came back with, "Jeeezus F--ing Ch_st! You f--king kids never learn... still f--ing racing your co_ksucking cars on the motherf--ing street. Just wait til somebody gets f--king killed. But to answer your question... you'll be shutting down shit with CHEVY written on the side"
Rick Meredith
DKK

« Reply #55 on: July 28, 2009, 20:00:47 pm »

Rick,
I started my parts career working at the BAP store located at 1515 N. State College in Anaheim.  The store manager was the legendary Ron Odel.  He was a real hard ass, but probably the best parts man I've ever known.  Some years after that Ron had gone to work for someone who owned and operated a warehouse in the greater LA area.  Times were bad and I guess the owner decided to have the placed torched.  Ron observed this and testified against the owner and he went to prison. 

The owner threatened Ron and said his days were numberd.  Shortly after that guy got out of the big house Ron was found dead in a Motel room in the San Diego area.  It was ruled as natural, but it does make one wonder.

Also, I worked at the BAP 721 S. Main St. store in Santa Ana with Stan (bolt your parts down) Davis.  It was on the east side of the street and when the afternoon sun hit it temps at the counter went well over 100 degrees.  Had some times at the Buena Park store as well.  Drove by the Main St. location recently on a trip to Rimco.

I worked at 1515 too. By the time I was there, Ron had been raised to overseeing all the stores. I think this may have been after the torching as I remember something about him having someone "after" him. I remember hearing of his early demise too.

By the time I got to Santa Ana, they must have moved the store because it was at 1906 S Main... 2 block south of Edinger and on the west site of the street. I was there one afternoon when a tornado went up Main St. and ripped the roof off of the appliance store across the street. Bert Nordman was the manager there... 1/2 deaf and quite a character. When he didn't drive the delivery truck, he'd show up on an ancient BMW motorcycle that he had "reegineered" to his liking. Best thing about Santa Ana was that since it had been there forever, there was all sorts of oddball stuff on the shelf. I remember one Saturday when someone wanted a wheel cylinder rebuild kit for a '57 Maserati and we had it on the shelf.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2009, 20:07:22 pm by DKK Rick » Logged

Rick Meredith
DKK

« Reply #56 on: July 28, 2009, 20:06:51 pm »

Their store had a fire in 1985, but they had a lot of inventory in storage.

Wow... I missed this post first time through! I'll have to look for them on FleaBay

Tony M

« Reply #57 on: July 28, 2009, 21:13:22 pm »

You guys are to hard on my step dad - Don Johnston - How about Barry daniels ?

Life is too fast to drive a slow VW
johnl

« Reply #58 on: July 28, 2009, 21:28:16 pm »

Rick,

I worked at 1515 too. By the time I was there, Ron had been raised to overseeing all the stores. I think this may have been after the torching as I remember something about him having someone "after" him. I remember hearing of his early demise too.

By the time I got to Santa Ana, they must have moved the store because it was at 1906 S Main... 2 block south of Edinger and on the west site of the street. I was there one afternoon when a tornado went up Main St. and ripped the roof off of the appliance store across the street. Bert Nordman was the manager there... 1/2 deaf and quite a character. When he didn't drive the delivery truck, he'd show up on an ancient BMW motorcycle that he had "reegineered" to his liking. Best thing about Santa Ana was that since it had been there forever, there was all sorts of oddball stuff on the shelf. I remember one Saturday when someone wanted a wheel cylinder rebuild kit for a '57 Maserati and we had it on the shelf.

Rick, I should clairfy.  There were actually (2) BAP stores on Main St. in Santa Ana.  When I started for the company it was an AJS (Alan James Sharon) store which sold to the BAP chain.  That was the 721 S. Main location.  The location you were at was already a BAP store.  Within a month of being married I left and started at Auto Haus.  I think shortly after that the store I was at closed and yours continued.  It has been a long time and my mind is grown old.

Did you know a guy named Rick Rucker that worked at the stores?  I still see him on a regular basis at Cars & Coffee and other car related events.  It had been over 30 years and he asked me one day if I was John Lazenby.  I answer yes and he had recognized me by my voice.  I would have never known him had he not told me who he was.

There was a guy named Steve (something) that managed the Buena Park store and was Rick Rucker's best man.  In the center where the Buena Park store was located was a VW repair shop, Hamag Motors (sp) which was run by an old German fellow and an Aston Martin shop.  Also a Charles Stilly (sp) that worked at the Anaheim store. 

I remember being in the Anaheim store and it came over the radio that Jim Morrison of the Doors had died in France.  The other memory of that location was a Saturday afternoon when an unruly guy and his girl friend came in the store.  The girl had on a see through blouse and no bra.  The boyfriend and Ron Odel got into it over something and it started to turn ugly.  The rest of us were to busy looking at the girl and he offerings.  Shocked Shocked Shocked o   Funny how things like that stick with you.

stealth67vw

« Reply #59 on: July 29, 2009, 00:08:56 am »

I bought an NOS Happich pear mirror from them 2 weeks ago.

John Bates
JB Machining Services
1967 street bug 2020lbs w/driver
12.34 @ 108 mph 1/4
7.76 @ 89mph 1/8
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: