The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 06:12:21 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350761 Posts in 28587 Topics by 6823 Members
Latest Member: Riisager
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  CB Performance Disc brake kit & Torkers
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: CB Performance Disc brake kit & Torkers  (Read 5983 times)
JSL

« on: May 05, 2008, 00:51:58 am »

Hi,

CB Performance Disc brake kit & Torkers

Anyone tried this combo? Ive found the calipers foul the wheels, a common issue I gather.

I was just wondering how much can actually be shaved off the caliper before it becomes 'unsafe' OR if there is another caliper out there that would work/fit?

I believe CB Performance use a fiat caliper, anyone know what model or if there are other calipers that could work better?

Anyone got any pics of their shaved calipers?

Thanks in advance!

I will upload some pics tomorrow

Cheers,

J

67worshipper

« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2008, 07:37:55 am »

are you using studs? id use some tiny spacers perhaps 3 or 5mm would this be enough?

vw hot rod heaven
JSL

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2008, 14:12:45 pm »

Hi,

Ive been talking to a guy on here called Tom, hes had the same problem and got round it with 14mm spacers and a 5 inch narrowed beam!

Guess I need a new beam then!

Anyone interested in a 2 inch narrowed K&L beam?

Some pics of my project attached

J

Brown-nose

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2008, 14:29:48 pm »

inherent problem with genuine wide 5 torq thrusts and JGE torkers,they were designed (and then same copied) to fit drums. shame really. i guess you could machine some material off the back of the wheel but that may just increase your caliper/spoke interferance. would mean less narrowing of the beam though. 14mm is a huge spacer,i'm not sure if that is such a good idea. perhaps ok on a more modern porsche set-up ?
on the plus side your car looks awesome. always wondered what happened to it after the little taster shots in volksworld all those years ago. good luck with the build up
JSL

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2008, 14:36:10 pm »

Hahaha!

Awesome! You remember that huh? Yeah its kinda embarrassing that it isnt further along than back then, but I was focused on other stuff. Im determined to crack on now though.

I wondering if I can shave some material off the caliper and use a thinner spacer maybe?

Have anyone else shaved these CD/fiat calipers? Got any pics handy?

I also wondering if there is another caliper I can use that might have better clearance? Hmmm...

J

Germanlkmanx

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2008, 00:18:57 am »

No issues with the 14mm spacer...i'm not sure what you refer to as a porsche set-up? Huge spacers and big heavy wheels can hurt wheel bearings, but 14mm thick aluminium and a wheel that is lighter than a stock steel on the front of an already light car will hurt nothing.

Crappy pic here shows the beam and the spacer on the disc..

...and the tuck it results in...

tom.

P.S. Although you could get away with removing a small amount of material off the face of the caliper, if you mock up the wheel and look where the spoke hits you will see that there would only be a small amount you could take off before significantly weakening the casting and you'd still need to go at least 11-12mm on the spacer I would think. Plus any amount that you take off will remove the factory surface treatment and the caliper will rust in that spot unless you paint it. Ask me how I know  Wink
« Last Edit: May 06, 2008, 00:23:26 am by Germanlkmanx » Logged
nicolas

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2008, 07:10:58 am »

on the plus side your car looks awesome. always wondered what happened to it after the little taster shots in volksworld all those years ago. good luck with the build up

is this the shell that was show in th mag along with the other shell in the garden??? i remember that as well. great to see it again. good luck with the work. car looks good allready.
cal-look.net

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2008, 08:19:58 am »

man you guys have aweseome memories!

the other shell was mine  Cool

we took on 2 projects at once, didn't quite pan out!!   Roll Eyes

Looking good JSL!!

nicolas

« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2008, 09:03:16 am »

so if that one ends up as nice as yours we are up for a treat then... cool

JSL

« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2008, 09:31:55 am »

Hahaha!

Cheers to Brown-Nose and Nicolas, yup as Steve said you do have good memories! ;-) Thanks for the encouraging messages! I need that until I break the back on this project :-S Seems like an up hill struggle at the moe, Oh and yeah Im hoping it will be as nice as Steves! ;-) Need a hell of a lot of 54 parts though (anyone?), as what you see is pretty much all I have :-S Im hoping to put up some pics soon of the build at www.liltank.net (nothing there yet)

Tom thank you so much for all your help! I think Im gonna go a similar route to you if thats cool? Did you have those spacers made?

I see Airkweld do a 4 inch narrowed beam with shock towers. Has anyone had any experience with these?

Or does anyone recommend any other make of 4 or more inch narrowed beams with shock towers? I dont want to modify the body as what you see is all original, no repairs or new panels so would be a shame to cut it.

J

Brown-nose

« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2008, 10:07:45 am »

Alex Taylor at Defcon3  (07812 600640) will build you a beam,no body mods required. ask him about taking some off the back of the wheel too
67worshipper

« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2008, 13:14:04 pm »

Id be interested in your beam Wink

vw hot rod heaven
Germanlkmanx

« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2008, 14:46:57 pm »

Alex Taylor at Defcon3  (07812 600640) will build you a beam,no body mods required. ask him about taking some off the back of the wheel too

Taking material off the back of the wheel would only increase the negative clearance at the spoke area. What you would gain in narrowing the track you would have to put back again in the form of a spacer between the wheel and hub.
Brown-nose

« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2008, 16:09:47 pm »

Taking material off the back of the wheel would only increase the negative clearance at the spoke area. What you would gain in narrowing the track you would have to put back again in the form of a spacer between the wheel and hub.

that's what i thought in my first post

you could machine some material off the back of the wheel but that may just increase your caliper/spoke interferance.

how thick are the spokes, ? could you section each one slightly and grind the caliper a bit ?
Phil West

« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2008, 16:24:21 pm »

Hi,

CB Performance Disc brake kit & Torkers

Anyone tried this combo? Ive found the calipers foul the wheels, a common issue I gather.

I was just wondering how much can actually be shaved off the caliper before it becomes 'unsafe' OR if there is another caliper out there that would work/fit?

I believe CB Performance use a fiat caliper, anyone know what model or if there are other calipers that could work better?

Anyone got any pics of their shaved calipers?

Thanks in advance!

I will upload some pics tomorrow

Cheers,

J

I shaved my CSP discbrake front calipers quite a lot on my split bus to fit the ERCO spare wheel I have.  There's so much meat on the calipers, they weigh a ton.  Van being restored at present so can't get a photo but I got the grinder on there big time.
Germanlkmanx

« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2008, 18:29:38 pm »

how thick are the spokes, ? could you section each one slightly and grind the caliper a bit ?

Yeah, I looked at that too but you'd need to take so much out of the back of the spoke it would be really obvious even at a glance and would like crap I think. I'm afraid spacer is the only way to go.  Undecided

tom.
Brown-nose

« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2008, 18:57:41 pm »

shame. out of interest what stud size are they,12 or 14mm ?
Germanlkmanx

« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2008, 20:26:28 pm »

shame. out of interest what stud size are they,12 or 14mm ?

14mm with a taper seat.

cheers,
tom.
Brown-nose

« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2008, 23:15:42 pm »

thanks Tom
Germanlkmanx

« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2008, 11:14:09 am »

Smiley
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: