The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 29, 2024, 15:16:54 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350869 Posts in 28606 Topics by 6827 Members
Latest Member: bmwjaguare5
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  Internet Look or California Look?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print
Author Topic: Internet Look or California Look?  (Read 40691 times)
Jordy/DVK

« Reply #60 on: January 31, 2007, 15:04:30 pm »

People call me crazy because I want to keep my mudflaps...  Sad

Proud member of:
DVK ~ Der Vollgas Kreuzers
  "The Full-Throttle Cruisers"

1951 medium brown splitwindow beetle (resto in progress)
1968 Cal-look(-a-like) (my daily driver)
alex d

« Reply #61 on: January 31, 2007, 15:12:49 pm »

crazy  Wink
Jon
Administrator

12,3@174km/t at Gardermoen 2008

« Reply #62 on: February 01, 2007, 10:38:18 am »

The hard part is making personal adjustments that still is are within the Cal-look doctrine. To make the boys think "ahh of course", not "what the hell?".
In my eyes MUDFLAPS are about as far away from cal-look as snow chains are, sorry! 

Grumpy old men have signatures like this.
Jordy/DVK

« Reply #63 on: February 01, 2007, 12:27:43 pm »

Grin Wink

Proud member of:

SixTeeSeven

« Reply #64 on: February 03, 2007, 00:58:02 am »

I am a bit conserned becuase I am getting all the parts I think are have read about in magizines and one day when I have everything and the old man who is selling me a 1`967 bug sells it to me I am going to build my ideal car. I have been really really interested in Cal Look for nearly 6 years - from when I was 14 and I started getting volksworldwhen I was at school, and I would be really upset if after doing years and years of finding all the stuff I want someone just said my beetle was an internet car. and I wasn't really into Cal Look. I can't help it if I wasn't even born until 1987, but at least I spend all my time trying to get the money to be able to buy the thing I want and it isn't easy. All my mates are into stuff like Citreon Saxos and Vauxhalls like Corsas and some have got old Novas and they are really into them but I think that they are all wasting there money. I can't help the fact I am 20 instead of 30 or 40 or 50 but I know if noone who was 20 was interested in making Cal Look cars one day every one would be doing other stuff and noone would be making Cal Looks.
I don't care if some one says it about me when I get my car done becuase I will be really really happy to have done what I have wanted.
I have got a tecno CD which has Martin lutherking on it at the start and he says I have a dream and every time I listen to it I think about my dream which is to have my Cal Look Beetle finished and if some one wants to say its only an internet car  would not be really really upset becuase I have only ever know the time when it was internet. I do care what people think but like I was saying I dont know no different. I know I what I want and if it dont happen before I am 30 at least I will know I did it and I will be happy.
Jon
Administrator

12,3@174km/t at Gardermoen 2008

« Reply #65 on: February 03, 2007, 01:18:34 am »

Just keep going SixTeeSeven!! You are on the right track, you are going thru the exact thing we all went thru when we got hooked on the "underdog" (the bug).
I have never had a local friend who liked bugs... they all like camaros or big 4x4īs... but I stuck in there, and now I know crazy people everywere...hehe

Grumpy old men have signatures like this.
SixTeeSeven

« Reply #66 on: February 03, 2007, 02:25:01 am »

I live in a place called Blakely which is in north Manchester which is in the North west of England. I know Chris Ashworth who was selling a '67 and also a lot of rare parts he moved to California but whne he lived here he lived in Sotckport and that is on the southside of town. We don't have many people around here who are into American casr. I know one fella who drives American cars and he has got four old italian 48 ida carboretters and a manifold to fit them onto a V8 enigne and i am trying to buy too off him. But the problem is that I can't afford what he wants right now. He's asking me for 850 quid so I'm saving for them. I work on the building and means I need to do extra on saturdays to get money towards them. I am going to get John Meyer to build the engine for me but he has moved away from town and is living on an island in the hedbridies which is miles away. A lot fo the older people that I know have had there engines made by him. I know you can buy new weber carbs but I want the old ones.
wolfswest

« Reply #67 on: February 12, 2007, 22:26:04 pm »

« Last Edit: April 06, 2016, 08:05:53 am by wolfswest » Logged

JPS NACIONAL kameraderie - HDB Syndicate.
Lee.C

I might be an Idiot but I'm not an Arsehole!

« Reply #68 on: February 13, 2007, 00:04:35 am »

no worries on here dude - we're all pretty friendly round here  Smiley

You either "Get It" or you don't......
Jordy/DVK

« Reply #69 on: February 13, 2007, 00:05:01 am »

I can understand your thoughts wolfswest and in a way I feel/felt the same, but in the end the only thing that counts is whether you're happy with your car.
 I've regret the fact that I bought a '68 instead of an earlier model, but I've started to like/appreciate it more and more over the years. If you look at pictures from the 70ies you will see some nice 70ies cars (even 1302/03s) with a Cal-look stance, and some of those late lookers are way nicer than some of the older cars...

I own a split window beetle (which is a bottomless money pit) and a model 68 bug and I have to admit I enjoy my '68 more than that old wreck of mine...

Proud member of:

nicolas

« Reply #70 on: February 13, 2007, 20:42:46 pm »

The problem I have with the "internet" cars that every time you visit a new website all the cars are looking to f@cking great.  They all have the expensive parts I don't have, they all are build in the right year or have that "rare" (read very expensive) part...  Then I think of my car in the back of my mind and I think, I don't mean shit!  not that I wanna be the topdog of the scene but it's almost impossible to build a nice looker without spending tons of $ on it...

For example:  I bought my bug when I was 20 years old and I was a newbie in the scene.  I bought it from my neighbour who sold it because he needed money for his house.  It's is a 72 with an pre 67 look but it still has some "72" items.  I got it painted but after I painted it I discovered that an older beetle doesn't have a fuel lid on the outside and no "ears" after the pop-outs...  Now I'm "stuck" with that but I like my car.  But when you post pictures of your car you receive immediatly posts like: "what the hell..?"  that's not okay,  And the end of the story I'm assamed of my car...  Embarrassed   
I'll hope that you get my point.  These times you can't make "mistakes" anymore...  Everything has to be perfect or else you are a loser.

Grtz,

Fuchs

i got two words for you

PAUL BATE!!!!

check out his car. it must be one of the nicest cars i know of. it is a 72 which is modified, but still it has a lot that you can use against it, like fuelflap on the outside, headrests, that color,...
BUT it looks good, feels right and i bet it drives good to Wink

build a car you like and there will be haters. (just watch the critics when i will someday tell you about my car...), and you are very right, you will make mistakes and the next on will be better (for you)
ESH

« Reply #71 on: February 13, 2007, 20:53:04 pm »

...a 72 which is modified...

Lee.C

« Reply #72 on: February 13, 2007, 21:15:37 pm »

mmmmmm i love that car  Smiley My Manx once started life as one of these  Shocked

Fastbrit

Keep smiling...

« Reply #73 on: February 13, 2007, 21:53:46 pm »

Almost perfect....Only because nothing can be absolutely perfect.

Der Kleiner Panzers VW Club    
12.56sec street-driven Cal Looker in 1995
9.87sec No Mercy race car in 1994
Seems like a lifetime ago...
wolfswest

« Reply #74 on: February 13, 2007, 22:51:50 pm »

thanks guys for the nice replies.  It gives me hope that you will look at the nice points of my car and not only the mistakes that I have made cause I was a newbie in the scene...
I will post pics soon because right now he's in the garage for the last works on it.  Steve from Steve's vw shop is now building the 2165cc engine.

grtz,

Fuchs

wolfswest

« Reply #75 on: February 13, 2007, 23:01:52 pm »

okay, I can't control myself...  Grin  Here is a preview of my car how it is for the moment.  The fuchs will receive the usual treatment: black and polished look.  It will get the cal-look stance and t-bars.  If I have more pics I will open a new topic. 

Lee.C

« Reply #76 on: February 13, 2007, 23:43:49 pm »

looking good so far dude Smiley  but shouldn't that be "She's in the garage for the winter"  Wink cos lets face it car's are always bitches  Wink Smiley

El Diablo Gris

« Reply #77 on: February 14, 2007, 05:03:44 am »

That car is beautiful !!!  One of my favorites.
wolfswest

« Reply #78 on: February 14, 2007, 08:41:54 am »

« Last Edit: April 06, 2016, 08:06:41 am by wolfswest » Logged

Gunnar|Rennfahrer

« Reply #79 on: February 14, 2007, 10:42:29 am »

What people say about your car means nothing. It's your feel of what it is to you that counts. Just don't do it exactly the same way as a car you saw at some show. Make it your own!

Cal-Look is in the Spirit of those who started it "back in the days."
Take a look at some pics of old Cal-Look cars and you'll see that all of them has personal touches made by the owner to suit him, since there wasn't thousands og cars to copy from.

It's a lot of stuff in the shops today that can give the right feeling, and everything doesn't have to be bought in a shop that mainly sells vw stuff.

Ok I too like real BRM's, and Torq Trust D's, but for people without that kind of money to buy wheels, we have copies, and most of these are safe to use both on street and strip, without ruining you if you break one.

And I can't say that show cars isn't Cal-Look cars since they look right. But I feel that you need to use it a bit more than only to shows, to make it Cal-Look. Thats what makes the car, after you have put on the parts you feel make it Cal-Look.

« Last Edit: February 14, 2007, 10:56:20 am by Ray Burns » Logged

Gunnar

Rennfahrers VW Club
Peter Roberts

« Reply #80 on: February 14, 2007, 16:24:08 pm »

Here's an ' Internet ' car for ya  Tongue

More on our Blog ...

http://jg54greenhearts.blogspot.com/
nicolas

« Reply #81 on: February 14, 2007, 18:51:28 pm »

Here's an ' Internet ' car for ya  Tongue

man do you know how to photoshop or what!!!!

no really nice car and the others too. i believe i saw it last year at DDD and was impressed
Diederick/DVK

They're never done till they're sold

« Reply #82 on: February 14, 2007, 19:56:14 pm »

ain't no photoshop, check out last january's volksworld mag  Wink

the black bitch looks bitching  Cool

Diederick
 -
Proud member of:
alfie the monster

« Reply #83 on: February 14, 2007, 19:58:00 pm »

I always thought Suchie was autistic  Cheesy

Top pics from him  Grin

JG54 Grunherz
Sarge

« Reply #84 on: February 14, 2007, 21:16:34 pm »

You back on the road yet James?

DKP III
nicolas

« Reply #85 on: February 14, 2007, 22:04:31 pm »

ain't no photoshop, check out last january's volksworld mag  Wink

the black bitch looks bitching  Cool

i really does
Frenchy Dehoux

« Reply #86 on: February 17, 2007, 06:59:19 am »

This is a cool website. Hi everyone how is everybody doing?

Frenchy ( Doc Detail )

Doctor Detail ( Retired )
Rocket Ron

It's old school for a reason

« Reply #87 on: February 17, 2007, 08:27:18 am »

Welcome to the lounge  Grin Grin Grin

13.12 @ 101.84

Grooving out on life

You can't polish a turd but you can roll it in glitter
Sander/DVK

« Reply #88 on: February 17, 2007, 11:23:16 am »

And another famous guy is into the Lounge Wink