The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 29, 2024, 14:02:17 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350869 Posts in 28606 Topics by 6827 Members
Latest Member: bmwjaguare5
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  Internet Look or California Look?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print
Author Topic: Internet Look or California Look?  (Read 40683 times)
Jim Ratto

« on: January 26, 2007, 05:33:11 am »

While the internet has made it much easier to contact friends, foes, colleagues, vendors, customers etc....hasn't it kind of made life a little homogenous too?
It's cool that we can log in here and hang out with our VW friends, but has the internet made it easier not to actually "go see your friends" and actually hang out with them?
How does this relate to VW stuff?
In my mind, like this: Back when I first got into modifying Bugs, there wasn't any internet. You went to shows to hang out, or you went to somebody's garage and stood around and shivered and lied about how fast your car was. If you needed parts, you drove to the local speedshop or you called to mailorder. If you wanted to build something fast, you'd hang around a speedshop and get in with the old crusty crochety guy that knew what worked and what broke. You couldn't log in to a web site and build a motor based on answers you'd get from lord knows who. Not that I am saying there is anything wrong with that, but just that things are sure different from when I learned how to make VW's go better.
Before, my friends and I that were into hot-rod VW stuff would make sort of a pilgrimage to Southern California from up near San Francisco, as our mentors had that we worked for....years earlier to go to Bug Ins. We'd go maybe twice a year.....and soak up what we saw as the center of the Universe of Cal Look cars and stuff. In between, we'd go home and mimic what we saw, to the best of our ability, and in our sort of interpretation. What I noticed, is that we'd set up cars like what we "thought" the guys in So Cal were doing, but when we came back next time with our cars, the differences were pretty apparent. So my point is, there was individuality, and that was cool.
I like seeing cars that have their own individual quirks or characteristics. Looking at pictures of all the old DKP cars, you can see individual thinking. And for the most part, you can with newer Cal Look cars too. But there are some cars that I have seen that seem to be pure carbon copies of somebody else's. I like looking at a car that says something about the guy that drives it.
Ok, just my thoughts for the night......no trying to ruffle anybody's fur.  Grin
sheep
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2007, 05:49:13 am »

I just wanted to see how my avatar looked Wink
LuftsickTero

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2007, 07:49:23 am »

While the internet has made it much easier to contact friends, foes, colleagues, vendors, customers etc....hasn't it kind of made life a little homogenous too?
It's cool that we can log in here and hang out with our VW friends, but has the internet made it easier not to actually "go see your friends" and actually hang out with them?
How does this relate to VW stuff?

To me the Internet just added another dimension the international or Central European scene and introduced me to some really cool people that I have been fortunate to meet in person too. The forums doesn't take anything away from meeting my friends in Helsinki. I share a garage with around 9 other Volkswagen enthusiasts, couple of blocks away is another garage with around as many VW enthusiasts, so the hobby is quite social anyway.

| Cal&Resto | Publishing own mediocre Cal Look photos since 1995 in interwebs.
Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2007, 08:06:47 am »

The internet was an addition for me, it took nothing away.

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
Rick Meredith
DKK

We can't force ya to have fun

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2007, 08:25:02 am »

I just wanted to see how my avatar looked Wink

It looks Baaaaaaaaaaa  Wink

67 Beetle - The Deuce Roadster of Cal Look
Rick Meredith
DKK

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2007, 08:45:16 am »

It is kind of neat to see others take on Cal-Look. I also see what you are talking about.

My read on it is that there will always be others that try to mimic what others are doing and there are others that will set the trends.

While Magazines (and books) from back in the day can be a valuable resource, they are limited in scope and certainly fall short in describing Cal-Look as it was. Remember, there purpose is to sell magazines and advertising and their content is skewed to meet that.

One of the things that I am amazed at is stuff like Treuhaft and Race Trim parts being valued. I hate to tell you guys this but that stuff is rare because it was considered to be of substantially lesser quality than stuff like Empi, DDS Berg etc.

lowfastbus

WUNDERWAFFE

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2007, 09:41:48 am »

For me the Internet brings the cal-look even more in our lifes, like on a daily basis.
Otherwise you only had time to talk about it in the weekends or when time allowed... wich I still do.

http://dragvws.skynetblogs.be
WUNDERWAFFE
The Knuckle Buster
Andi/DFL

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2007, 09:49:38 am »

I totally agree, that there are quite a lot cars around, that were built to the highest standards and are show-winners but have no soul. It just doesn't work for me, to copy a car or buy the rarest bolt-on-fashion-empi-dds parts, if the car just looks like any other cal-looker with the same color and the same wheels. Individuality can't be bought.

Internet surely helped some of us a lot, to get in contact with like-minded people. Regarding our club, internet is probably the best tool to get things organized and without it some things would just be much more difficult. We're spread all across germany, so it's nearly impossible to make a quick visit to your club-mate and check out, what he's doing.

The other thing is: at least here in germany less young people drive or want to drive a bug, Owning a funky Hondazuki with neon lights is cheaper... So the few young guys, that actually buy a bug are surely happy to have the internet to get them started asking questions to the more experienced guys and find like-minded people.

ESH

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2007, 10:00:35 am »

The other thing is: at least here in germany less young people drive or want to drive a bug, Owning a funky Hondazuki with neon lights is cheaper... So the few young guys, that actually buy a bug are surely happy to have the internet to get them started asking questions to the more experienced guys and find like-minded people.

I think that's a good example of why it's mostly a good thing from a social point of view, like everything there are some downsides but that's the same out in the real world too. Smiley
javabug

WHAT'S UP WID DA BOOM BOOM???

« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2007, 13:54:28 pm »

I'm quite positive the internet increases influence and the "me too" effect.  There are a ton of people who can't seem to think for themselves and automatically get stuck on what someone else tells them is cool.  That is everywhere and is just a part of society.

I swear I liked Fuchs on Bugs since before the internet!!! 
I'm thankful to have the 'net as a resource to see what is going on, particularly with the cars overseas lately.  There are some truly excellent examples.

Mike H.

Sven was right.
Trond Dahl
Administrator

« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2007, 14:11:19 pm »

How did people manage to buy cars before internet?
You know, outside of their local newspaper offcourse...

Street car 10.67/206kmt@Kjula 2014
Race car 9.49/236kmt@SCC 2017

Jordy/DVK

« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2007, 14:23:32 pm »

I'm quite positive the internet increases influence and the "me too" effect.

I hate that. I see more and more people converting their car to Cal-Look because they want to be found cool/different...
 I think it's gonna be the next big thing over here, since everybody is getting tired of driving around their slammed crap...
 too bad... Sad

Proud member of:
DVK ~ Der Vollgas Kreuzers
  "The Full-Throttle Cruisers"

1951 medium brown splitwindow beetle (resto in progress)
1968 Cal-look(-a-like) (my daily driver)
Zach Gomulka

« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2007, 16:50:29 pm »

One of the things that I am amazed at is stuff like Treuhaft and Race Trim parts being valued. I hate to tell you guys this but that stuff is rare because it was considered to be of substantially lesser quality than stuff like Empi, DDS Berg etc.

Booooooo!!! Wink
« Last Edit: January 27, 2007, 18:17:12 pm by Zach Gomulka » Logged

stealth67vw

« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2007, 16:59:16 pm »

I couldn't agree any more with you Jim. It seems like every car built these days is the same. IDA engine, big or little as long as it has IDAs. As much tacky, gaudy Empi garbage as they can afford or find like the GTV steering wheels, door pulls, glove box pull, guages, eyebrow decklid, bumper bars, valve covers, manifolds, linkage and who knows what else. Add an Autometer tach, fake BRMs or Ercos, A1 Magnaflo, all the Bene Gerg junk they can use that is seen including shifter, linkage, traction bar, sump, full flow stuff, breather and pulley and you end up with a 100% poser mobile that we see today. All of these parts can be found on the samba or Berg's web site. I'm getting a little sick of seeing people dump $20K-30K+ into a car that cost $1,800 USD or less when new just to fit a certain clique or fad. I build my cars to what I like, not to fit in with the masses. That is why I painted my mufflers red, to be an individual, not a copy cat. Sure the internet has made things more accesible but it has stifled creativity.

Don't even get me started on hoodrides......it's not patina, it's a f%@cking rust hole you retards.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2007, 17:03:43 pm by stealth67vw » Logged

John Bates
JB Machining Services
1967 street bug 2020lbs w/driver
12.34 @ 108 mph 1/4
7.76 @ 89mph 1/8
stealth67vw

« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2007, 17:16:00 pm »

Did you buy them on the net?Huh?? And how long have they been on your car? 15+ years I bet.

John Bates
JB Machining Services
12.34 @ 108 mph 1/4
7.76 @ 89mph 1/8
stealth67vw

« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2007, 17:31:03 pm »

Did you buy them on the net?Huh?? And how long have they been on your car? 15+ years I bet.

Empi wheel: 16 years
Shifter: 18 years
psuedo BRMS: 10 years

oh.....yeah, I have Mike Collins' old IDAs too.....I'm a real poser!  Tongue

You are the one they are copying Jim. It's all your fault...as April would say.LOL

John Bates
JB Machining Services
12.34 @ 108 mph 1/4
7.76 @ 89mph 1/8
Gary Justus

« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2007, 17:32:57 pm »

As usual Jim, you bring up thoughtful discussions. This one I'd like to be a part of. Let's face it, there are always going to be "chiefs" and "indians". Most of the folks around the "Cal-Look" community today are "indians" who emulate those "chiefs" from before them (to varying degrees). As with most, I cut my teeth (and fingers) on ideas gathered from events and magazines from the late 70's and early 80's. The first event I took my freshly painted Sahara Biege '64 to, I was asked if I was entering the show. I said "no" and found a nice space to park right on the roadway entrance so I could see all the cars coming in.......It was fifteen minutes later I was standing around (thinking I'm the only one here with this color) and a certain Sahara Beige chop-top went by. My first thought was "I'm not so original"....I followed him until he parked and took a closer look......My next thought was "I'm not such a much, either". I left shortly after that, but I still have the car. Point is: There is somethiing a little original with all of the VWs that still grace the planet with a unique style and attitude that NO other car can come close to.
Rick Meredith
DKK

« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2007, 17:33:16 pm »

Empi wheel: 16 years
Shifter: 18 years
psuedo BRMS: 10 years

oh.....yeah, I have Mike Collins' old IDAs too.....I'm a real poser!  Tongue

Yes but you came by your poser status honestly and not through the internet!  Grin

sheep
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2007, 17:34:55 pm »

I love what John said about hoodrides,hahahaha
Jim are you sure your Empi wheel is real, where did you get it?
sheep
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2007, 21:39:35 pm »

How did my avatar become a picture of Jimr?Huh? Huh Huh
Lee.C

I might be an Idiot but I'm not an Arsehole!

« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2007, 21:40:14 pm »

I think that's a good example of why it's mostly a good thing from a social point of view, like everything there are some downsides but that's the same out in the real world too. Smiley

Very well put dude - but if I'm honest my buggy would never have been posible with out the net - you just have to be carefull  Smiley just my 2 cents  Smiley

You either "Get It" or you don't......
stealth67vw

« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2007, 21:45:18 pm »

How did my avatar become a picture of Jimr?Huh? Huh Huh

You could use this one  Grin

John Bates
JB Machining Services
12.34 @ 108 mph 1/4
7.76 @ 89mph 1/8
nicolas

« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2007, 22:34:52 pm »

wasn't the beetle the most produced car for years?

so in the end we all could imagine we would be 'copying' a style.

i think there is no other make of cars where so many people invest so much time and money to make their old cars look so different...

and i am glad there are so many tastfull cal-looks out there.

and yes the net has helped me a lot, honestly i could be standing next to all you guys at a show and no-one would recognize me or know me, but i have had some very good advice that i am very thankfull of
too old for this

« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2007, 23:13:04 pm »

I couldn't agree any more with you Jim. It seems like every car built these days is the same. IDA engine, big or little as long as it has IDAs. As much tacky, gaudy Empi garbage as they can afford or find like the GTV steering wheels, door pulls, glove box pull, guages, eyebrow decklid, bumper bars, valve covers, manifolds, linkage and who knows what else. Add an Autometer tach, fake BRMs or Ercos, A1 Magnaflo, all the Bene Gerg junk they can use that is seen including shifter, linkage, traction bar, sump, full flow stuff, breather and pulley and you end up with a 100% poser mobile that we see today. All of these parts can be found on the samba or Berg's web site. I'm getting a little sick of seeing people dump $20K-30K+ into a car that cost $1,800 USD or less when new just to fit a certain clique or fad. I build my cars to what I like, not to fit in with the masses. That is why I painted my mufflers red, to be an individual, not a copy cat. Sure the internet has made things more accesible but it has stifled creativity.

Don't even get me started on hoodrides......it's not patina, it's a f%@cking rust hole you retards.
I HATE PEOPLE WHO SIT ON THE FENCE.......why don,t you just say what you really think Grin

JG54
Cornpanzer

« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2007, 23:15:13 pm »

One of the greatest quotes in history!

'67 Turbo Sedan
Ultra VW Contributor
SplitMan
SCC Crew

« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2007, 23:53:24 pm »

One of the coolest things I have read on the Internet for a long time.... Give it to us! The Lounge surely has become this wonderful salad bowl of Americans with history, Europeans without - and the old and odd Swede & Brit... I love it.
Jon
Administrator

12,3@174km/t at Gardermoen 2008

« Reply #26 on: January 27, 2007, 00:05:12 am »

Stealth67vw for PRESIDENT! You hit the nail on the head there, but I would not blame it on the Internet, IŽd blame it on the "icon" cars themselves! They look sooo good in all the magazines that people wants a piece of heaven for themselves! But I guess you only spend so many years making "copies" if you call it that, and then you get bored and starts to wonder if you got what it takes to make Looker that stands out on its own rights! I have never wanted to copy any car , but I do admit to falling in love with parts... to a point where I just have to find it and buy.

Just to throw a curve-ball, hasn't Cal-look been about copying since day one...? Thinking about the Nose-down, the T bars and the dechroming.... it started somewhere.  Wink

Its a good thing they found ONE name for the cars we have called all the negative words in the world...  Hoodride!

Grumpy old men have signatures like this.
ESH

« Reply #27 on: January 27, 2007, 00:08:44 am »

... Americans with history, Europeans without ...

Shocked

Not a sentence you'd normally expect to see! Tongue

Cheesy

Sorry, couldn't resiist.  Smiley
Rick Meredith
DKK

« Reply #28 on: January 27, 2007, 00:59:04 am »

Ya know... I'm regretting saying that... I think I shot myself in the foot! I know I have a Truehaft catalog  that I could put on eBay.  Grin

Zach Gomulka

« Reply #29 on: January 27, 2007, 18:22:19 pm »

I totally agree, that there are quite a lot cars around, that were built to the highest standards and are show-winners but have no soul.

Very true.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: