The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 08:23:19 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350681 Posts in 28573 Topics by 6820 Members
Latest Member: chicochemxli
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  DKP Jackets
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print
Author Topic: DKP Jackets  (Read 38430 times)
johnl

« Reply #60 on: October 08, 2009, 16:10:54 pm »

Yes, Roger's patch is round. I guess we should change the name of this "thread" to DKP Patch 101.

Not a bad idea.   Wink Wink  I'm amazed that something that as kids we never would have given a second look evolves into a topic that now I find so interesting to learn more.  Everyday when I turn on my computer and tune in it is like going to the movies as a kid and watching the on going serial (cliff hanger) to see what will happen next.

To all of you who read and contribute to this site you've made my life much richer and I thank you all for that.  John...............

Volkswagens Limited, Der Kleiner Panzers Founder Member
Celebrating 60 years of Volkswagens in my life 1963-2023

Life is a learning experience and then you die but when you do you've lived a good life if you contributed to your fellow man.
ian c

« Reply #61 on: October 08, 2009, 16:29:43 pm »

Yes, Roger's patch is round. I guess we should change the name of this "thread" to DKP Patch 101.

title could be changed to ANORAKS
(but they'd probobly leak if you sewed a patch on )
Cheesy

i spent half my money on beer , cars , and women .

the other half , i just wasted .

(o\ ! /o)
Fastbrit

Keep smiling...

« Reply #62 on: October 08, 2009, 16:34:34 pm »

Here's my DKP II jacket - the patch is very crude in comparison. Is this like Roger's?
It looks more like a plucked chicken! Cheesy

Der Kleiner Panzers VW Club    
12.56sec street-driven Cal Looker in 1995
9.87sec No Mercy race car in 1994
Seems like a lifetime ago...
johnl

« Reply #63 on: October 08, 2009, 16:46:03 pm »

It looks more like a plucked chicken!

Kind of looks like Tweedy Bird got out of his cage...........  Wink Wink Wink

Life is a learning experience and then you die but when you do you've lived a good life if you contributed to your fellow man.
vwcab

peter

« Reply #64 on: October 08, 2009, 18:24:40 pm »

Here's my DKP II jacket - the patch is very crude in comparison. Is this like Roger's?
It looks more like a plucked chicken! Cheesy

Grin   Grin   Grin   Grin  a plucked chicken,that's a good one Keith  Cheesy
« Last Edit: October 08, 2009, 18:27:11 pm by vwcab » Logged

'72 standard käfer
'74 cal-look project
'78 1303 cabrio
'12 Triumph street triple

ESCARABAJO's CALIENTEs
deano

« Reply #65 on: October 08, 2009, 19:04:02 pm »

Here is a photo of Roger Grago's DKP II jacket patch. Hard to tell if that background is black, or really dark blue. Strange looking pigeon.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2009, 19:05:33 pm by deano » Logged

Hot VWs Magazine Window Washer
Anglia Obsolete Guru
'67 Heaven
Russell

« Reply #66 on: October 08, 2009, 21:53:13 pm »

Sarge

Was Arnies DKP club an approved extension or was it something he did on his own ?

Russell

Best Regards

Russell
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #67 on: October 08, 2009, 22:01:03 pm »

Wink

http://speedwell55.skynetblogs.be/
oldspeed 61 standard empi/speedwell
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #68 on: October 08, 2009, 22:08:11 pm »

see this one last year at my bro house  Wink

deano

« Reply #69 on: October 08, 2009, 22:48:19 pm »

Sarge

Was Arnies DKP club an approved extension or was it something he did on his own ?

Russell

I will try to answer that question.... As I recall, Arnie and Terry  Schaefer (sp) were the last two members voted into DKP 1, before things began to shut down, including the club "swag" shop. That would be around early 1974. So, I do not think there was much of anything left at that point. Not until years later, when DKP II began to fire things back up, which would be around 1976-77ish. And for whatever reason, I fell into that void in between DKP I and II, when the club house was gone, and there wasn't much left but an occasional Sunday night foosball game at the Warehouse.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2009, 05:20:31 am by deano » Logged

Anglia Obsolete Guru
'67 Heaven
Roger Grago

« Reply #70 on: October 12, 2009, 06:26:32 am »

Hi Guys,

I ran into John L. at Cars & Coffee yesterday and he told me to check out this thread.  Let me share information on the patches we had made.  We had ours made by the same sports team uniform place that did our banner.  I don't remember the name but it was right around the block from Don Burns VW in Garden Grove.  I was working at Don Burns at the time so it made it easy to get stuff done on my lunch hour. 
I had gotten an original patch from MikeTaylor shortly after we had started the club up again.  We wanted to change the patch a little and the club voted to make it Navy Blue instead of the original lighter Blue.  That was to be the only change.  When I went to pick the order up they were round and the detailing was not as good.  Randy Welch said "It looks like a pigeon with a pineapple body".  We were going to get them redone but never got around to doing it.
I had four jackets, one Peters with original patch, another Peters with our round patch (Which the paramedics cut off of me when I crashed at Bug In 18), a London Fog with our round patch, and a Pacific Trail with our round patch.  Deano now has the Pacific Trail  jacket.  I  just could not fit into it anymore.  The one Peters and London Fog jackets I still have.
Hope this is helpful.

All the best!

Roger Grago
K GHIA

« Last Edit: October 12, 2009, 06:31:44 am by Roger Grago » Logged
Hecker

« Reply #71 on: October 20, 2009, 01:07:03 am »

Funny Rog,
I remember the day you center punched that car... I remember
you STRONGLY telling the paramedics NOT to cut the jacket !!
Maybe they cut it out of jealousy!!!!!      I was behind you to the
left and WILL NEVER forget the crash !!

Stephan S

« Reply #72 on: October 20, 2009, 01:57:00 am »

Here is the NOS patch (1st DKP generation) I received as a present from Da Sarge, not so long ago - thanks again Sarge!
Neat piece! It's definitely oval + bigger than the (round) 3rd generation patch: about 6.5x5-3/4" (17x14.5cm) vs. 3.5x3.5" (8.5x8.5cm).

Der Kleiner Panzers
deano

« Reply #73 on: October 20, 2009, 02:38:49 am »

Ah. that is really nice..... Bids anyone?

Anglia Obsolete Guru
'67 Heaven
Sarge

« Reply #74 on: October 20, 2009, 04:14:15 am »

Here is the NOS patch (1st DKP generation) I received as a present from Da Sarge, not so long ago - thanks again Sarge!
Neat piece! It's definitely oval + bigger than the (round) 3rd generation patch: about 6.5x5-3/4" (17x14.5cm) vs. 3.5x3.5" (8.5x8.5cm).

I hope to hell you used tongs when you pulled that patch out of it's sealed envelope... it was NEVER touched by ANY human hands before you got it..... Roll Eyes Wink Grin

DKP III
WCB Hitler's Hot Rod

« Reply #75 on: October 20, 2009, 04:23:25 am »

GOLD
« Last Edit: October 20, 2009, 04:25:22 am by vdubkid » Logged

WARNING! BE PREPARED FOR A ROLLING BLACKOUT.

West Coast Blitz... "Motha Sucka!"

You may have some Swag, but I OWN da Swagoo!!

This right here is my 'lil Nazi-killa!
Sarge

« Reply #76 on: October 20, 2009, 04:55:40 am »

There are actually two original mint club patches.  Stephan is way younger then me and is what DKP is all about... I know he'll have that patch the rest of his life and he deserves it.  Pete Dayton, surely the inspiration for DKP in the beginning, has the other patch.  Pete has no pictures, plaques or club treasures from the past, so it seemed fitting to pass along something to remind him of good times.

DKP III
deano

« Reply #77 on: October 20, 2009, 05:24:23 am »

I was thinking of the extreme differences with today's VW club logos, and the '60s DKP one. Today's VW clubs start with black, and add a dose of skulls, bones, blood, knives, bullet holes and flaming eyeballs. Boy, have things changed.

Anglia Obsolete Guru
'67 Heaven
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #78 on: October 20, 2009, 21:18:33 pm »

I was thinking of the extreme differences with today's VW club logos, and the '60s DKP one. Today's VW clubs start with black, and add a dose of skulls, bones, blood, knives, bullet holes and flaming eyeballs. Boy, have things changed.
agree with you dean , today club logo are ugly only the cal look club are searching for some cool logo with cool feeling

MacRavens

« Reply #79 on: November 20, 2009, 16:11:20 pm »

Sh.t ! I knew we miss some thing... we forgot to put some skulls...  Tongue

DOUG BERG

« Reply #80 on: November 20, 2009, 17:45:23 pm »

I KNOW I NEED TO TREAD LIGHTLY ON MY STATEMENT HERE!!!!!
                                                "CAUSE" THE LAST TIME I OPEN'D MY BIG MOUTH........ AND MERELY           
                                                            "POINT'D OUT THE OBVIOUS"!!!!!!
                                             IT START'D THE FIRST EVER WORLDWIDE "CAL LOOK RIOT"!!!!                                                 

THEN IT WAS CENSOR'D TO MAKE ME LOOK LIKE A RAVE'N LUNATIC ........

AT LEAST SOMEONE ASK'D.... "WHY EVERYONES STATEMENTS FROM THE RIOT WERE REMOVED.......... EXCEPT DOUGS" Huh?
              SO I DON'T NEED ANYMORE DEATH THREATS OR DEROGATORY STATEMENTS TOWARDS MY DADS WORK
                                       "LIKE THE LAST TIME"    "I MERELY POINT'D OUT THE OBVIOUS"!!!!!
                                                  SO AFTER A LONG INTRO HERE WE GO.....   
                                                   I LOVE HOW THINGS         "JUST FIT" 
                                   I LOVE...   REALITY,,,   PHYSICS,,,   AND THE WAY THEY JUST FLOW TOGETHER!!!
                                          IF THAT IS A PLUCKED CHICKEN,,,  AND THAT IS A MR. LEGG'S JACKET ,,,,
                                                  IS IT ANY COMBINATION OF THOSE FOUR WORDS Huh??

DOUG....                                   

Jason Foster

7.69 87mph 12.35 106 mph

« Reply #81 on: November 20, 2009, 19:46:45 pm »

Why come now Doug, "I" at least would never call you Mr. Plucked Chicken Legs. 

Congrats by the way on the 2009 S/G championship Mr. Crew Chief.....

STRENGTH THROUGH JOY...........

Der Kleiner Panzers
Rennsurfer

D.B.O. Not a club; a state of mind.

« Reply #82 on: November 21, 2009, 01:57:57 am »

Very cool patch, Stephan. Sarge, that was rather nice of you, too.

"You can only scramble an egg so many ways."
~Sarge
delux67

« Reply #83 on: November 24, 2009, 09:14:20 am »

I made a huge mistake selling my DKP jacket. Wish I still had it. What an idiot, I sold it for money. Money is replaceable the jacket isn't. Actually I'd like the patch. I'm too fat for the jacket now.
I was at the doughnut shop the other day and I said to the guy,"man I am out of shape" He said what do you mean, round is a shape.
Chuckle chuckle
javabug

WHAT'S UP WID DA BOOM BOOM???

« Reply #84 on: November 24, 2009, 14:14:28 pm »

Don't forget iron crosses and other "controversial" stuff.  Gotta love the "I'm a total hardass" attitude even though at the end of the day we're just playing with cute little VWs.   Cheesy

Mike H.

Sven was right.
Sarge

« Reply #85 on: November 24, 2009, 14:22:59 pm »

"Gotta love the "I'm a total hardass" attitude even though at the end of the day we're just playing with cute little VWs."

HEY HEY.... speak for yourself!!! Angry Angry Angry

Grin

DKP III
deano

« Reply #86 on: November 25, 2009, 17:16:08 pm »

Slighty off topic, but an interesting pin on ebay.... beware.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/OLD-ENAMEL-PIN-BADGE-DKP-GERMAN-COMMUNIST-PARTY-x_W0QQitemZ110393014427QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item19b3efb89b

Anglia Obsolete Guru
'67 Heaven
MYTOY
DKK

« Reply #87 on: November 26, 2009, 23:38:52 pm »

I prefer or is it resemble "PEAR SHAPE".
former DKPII
johnl

« Reply #88 on: February 04, 2010, 23:50:49 pm »

Well, I have some important info to tell all of you.  As most of you know I have great friends that are amongst you, but there are a few that stand at the top of the list.  Some of you know that they would be Jim (Sarge) Edmiston, Gary Michael Huggins, Pete Dayton, Gregg Bunch, Dwight Magill and the list could go on, but I think you get the idea.  Those names were in the beginnings of the DKP era and through the years they have always remained my friends.

I've told you the story about the Peters DKP original jackets, but I don't know if I told you what happend to mine.  Years ago I opened a closet and there it was looking rather sad and worn and yours truly had become to fat for it to fit.  I was cleaning out stuff and saw no reason to keep it.  No, I don't think insanity runs in my family.  I did remove the original patch which I still own to this day, but gave the jacket to Goodwill as I remember never thinking anymore about it at that time.

Of course time passed and then I realized what a bone head move I'd made.  Unfortunately, I couldn't change what had been done, but maybe I could find an acceptable replacement.  I've spent much time researching this and contacting companies from London Fog on down with no luck.  A couple of jackets were considered, but they just were like the original that I longed for.

UPDATE:  In recent times I was having a phone conversation with long time friend and co DKP founder Gary Michael Huggins and the subject of "The Jackets"  came up.  He blurted out to me that he still had his in the closet and it was almost like new.  My heart rate went up and I asked if he would consider selling it to me.  His relply was "NO, but I'll give it to you if you promise not to sell it".  I almost fell over with disbelief.

It arrived at my office today and as Mike stated almost perfect.  One button missing on the sleeve and a couple of spots that may clean up.  This jacket is so virgin that it still has the leather strap on the end of the zipper.  Maybe even better it fits me and is a great excuse to go on a diet. Shocked Shocked  Even more special to me is the fact that I sold this to him some 44 years ago. 

My plans are to clean it , sew the original patch back on and wear it on very special occasions only.  I'm a very lucky person to have been gifted this, but even more lucky to have had Mike for a friend for the past 49 years.  God Bless you Mike and thank you from the bottom of my heart.

PHOTOS IN THE NEAR FUTURE   Grin Grin Grin

t

Rocket Ron

It's old school for a reason

« Reply #89 on: February 04, 2010, 23:54:12 pm »

what goes around ........ Smiley

13.12 @ 101.84

Grooving out on life

You can't polish a turd but you can roll it in glitter
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: