The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 05, 2024, 21:28:51 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
351097 Posts in 28640 Topics by 6846 Members
Latest Member: JamesBoyd
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  NICKS!
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: NICKS!  (Read 20362 times)
Rick Meredith
DKK

We can't force ya to have fun

« Reply #30 on: June 15, 2010, 22:27:13 pm »

Thanks for the pics evryone !

Damn Fabs your '67 is great ! I love the camembert on the ashtray !  Cheesy Grin

You don't think it's cheesy?   Roll Eyes Grin

67 Beetle - The Deuce Roadster of Cal Look
Sarge

« Reply #31 on: June 16, 2010, 03:36:23 am »

nice to see the pics sarge ! damon's car and fab's look great too many to mention ! and thanks again for sat night sarge ! who could this be ? lol one hint i live in vegas

Welcome to the Lounge, Chris... it's your turn to buy Grin

DKP III
Stephan S

« Reply #32 on: June 16, 2010, 03:41:22 am »

What a great weekend!

Congrats to Fabien and Elliot for sharing the DKP trophy... huh... trophies. Both cars are awesome - two different takes on the Cal Look theme. The cruise night was a bit of a zoo. Problems with the shop/restaurant owners across the street, angry cops, people driving "stupid", alcohol related issues... If the event takes place again in 2011, we'll have to rethink the whole event.

On a personal note, I always regret not being able to spend more time speaking with friends... A big SORRY for "ignoring" some of you guys! I'd love to go to an event without a camera one day!
« Last Edit: June 16, 2010, 05:09:09 am by Stephan S » Logged

Der Kleiner Panzers
Nico86

Turnip engine.

« Reply #33 on: June 16, 2010, 15:59:16 pm »

Thanks for the pics evryone !

Damn Fabs your '67 is great ! I love the camembert on the ashtray !  Cheesy Grin

You don't think it's cheesy?   Roll Eyes Grin

Cheesy Grin

draven898

« Reply #34 on: June 16, 2010, 18:19:45 pm »

nice to see the pics sarge ! damon's car and fab's look great too many to mention ! and thanks again for sat night sarge ! who could this be ? lol one hint i live in vegas

Welcome to the Lounge, Chris... it's your turn to buy Grin
you got it sarge !

follow my instagram thecallook
Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #35 on: June 18, 2010, 17:10:14 pm »

Sorry to bring this back up BUT...

Ever since I've been going to Nick's, and DQ before that, and Fuddruckers before that... From my point of view, not only has it been accepted to leave said establishment at a "sporting" pace, it's damn near been protocol. And every story I've ever heard from "back in the day" reflects this. This was my first year to have a car there that I built with some horsepower, and I'm proud to say that I carried on that torch. Some of you guys sound like the old man yelling at the kids to slow down through the neighborhood, when you know damn well you did the same thing when you were young.

If this is a real problem, then I wont do it again. I'd like to keep coming back to Nick's for years to come.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2010, 17:38:40 pm by Zach Gomulka » Logged

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
Speed-Randy

« Reply #36 on: June 18, 2010, 17:36:43 pm »

Ever since I've been going to Nick's, and DQ before that, and Fuddruckers before that... From my point of view, not only has it been accepted to leave said establishment at a "sporting" pace, it's damn near been protocol. And every story I've ever heard from "back in the day" reflects this. This was my first year to have a car there that I built with some horsepower, and I'm proud to say that I carried on that torch. Some of you guys sound like the old man yelling at the kids to slow down through the neighborhood, when you know damn well you did the same thing when you were young.

If this is a real problem, then I wont do it again. I'd like to keep coming back to Nick's for years to come.
Thank you Zack, the problem has not been the way people leave with a heavy foot on the gas, been going on for years like that. The problem lies in people walking/standing in the middle of orangethorpe causing regular traffic to swerve around them causing a hazard. The police have always looked the other way at the burn-outs leaving as long as it was semi-under control. I don't know that next year will be as lenient and will certainly see more jaywalking tickets
« Last Edit: June 18, 2010, 17:38:31 pm by vdubdweeb » Logged

Dave Rosique

nobodyouno

« Reply #37 on: June 18, 2010, 18:05:29 pm »

Thank you Zack, the problem has not been the way people leave with a heavy foot on the gas, been going on for years like that. The problem lies in people walking/standing in the middle of orangethorpe causing regular traffic to swerve around them causing a hazard. The police have always looked the other way at the burn-outs leaving as long as it was semi-under control. I don't know that next year will be as lenient and will certainly see more jaywalking tickets

^^^Exactly^^^

The way I saw it (and what I overheard from Officer Cabeza) the main beef was all the people blocking Orangethorp, the driveways and sidewalks.

As far as the future goes..        GET OFF MY GRASS AND TURN DOWN THAT MUSIC!!!

...damn punk kids
                                                                                                                                                                                    Grin

Rennsurfer

D.B.O. Not a club; a state of mind.

« Reply #38 on: June 19, 2010, 00:31:57 am »

Interesting. The cop told me that he wasn't happy with the complaints of people leaving Nick's then racing on westbound Orangethorpe. Hopefully, D.K.P. will be allowed to have their events, there, in the future.

"You can only scramble an egg so many ways."
~Sarge
Rick Meredith
DKK

We can't force ya to have fun

« Reply #39 on: June 19, 2010, 00:52:55 am »

Ultimately, the call is DKPs. It's there backyard and we're all guests there. I'd hate to see DKP lose Nicks.

That restaurant has so much Cal-Look history. DKK started meeting there around '82 when it was called Scooters.

67 Beetle - The Deuce Roadster of Cal Look
PIMPPRIDE

« Reply #40 on: June 19, 2010, 01:09:06 am »

I think DKP does as great job with what they have to work with... these things should be looked at as a positives, issues to correct to make it better, I have not been to the DKP night " classic " weekend by choice for 4 years mainly due to the fact its so large ( and I am a local )

IMO : their are enough local clubs that could step up together to forge a great larger cruise night in orange county on the classic weekend... hopefully we can see that happen... 
Rennsurfer

« Reply #41 on: June 19, 2010, 01:13:55 am »

Ultimately, the call is DKPs. It's there backyard and we're all guests there. I'd hate to see DKP lose Nicks.

That restaurant has so much Cal-Look history. DKK started meeting there around '82 when it was called Scooters.

Yep. Like I said... I really hope that the tradition lives on. I have many great memories of hanging out at that place, dating back to the early '80s. Even when we weren't there for our club meetings, we'd all bring our Cal Lookers and simply hangout on most Sunday nights. Which is half of the reason I dig going there. The other half, of course, is 'cause D.K.P. is keeping the spirit very alive and well at that venue.

~Sarge
low oval
DKK

« Reply #42 on: June 19, 2010, 01:34:40 am »

My take is that this is a great event, and I would hate to loose this part of the weekend, however with the complaints from the asian restaurant, and the crowds on both sides of the street (I didn't see as many  burnouts this year as in the past, but last year someone almost got run over). I think DKP has outgrown this venue for the classic weekend. They should look for something where your off the main drag, and is large enough to handle the crowds.  Unfortunatly you'll probably have to pay for something of this size.
Nick's is great, we do some lunches with the Nova group I'm with, as well as if you look at the wall you'll see they cater to many car groups.
DKP you guys did a great job with this event, it's unfortunate that during your big weekend you had to babysit stupid adults who refuse to obey the law, and ruin it for everyone else.

don't see this too often.

"and that's when the cops showed up"
Rennsurfer

« Reply #43 on: June 19, 2010, 02:52:42 am »

DKP you guys did a great job with this event, it's unfortunate that during your big weekend you had to babysit stupid adults who refuse to obey the law, and ruin it for everyone else.

Amen to THAT.

~Sarge
Dave Rosique

nobodyouno

« Reply #44 on: June 19, 2010, 02:59:52 am »

Amen to THAT.

Ditto!!

Fred, I do remember the officer complaining that he witnessed something like eight street races... without issuing any tickets?!?!? yeah, right... Personally, I think he was half full of BS. I'm sure there was plenty of "questionable activity" but from my view I still believe all the people in the street & sidewalk was his main beef.

Rennsurfer

« Reply #45 on: June 19, 2010, 03:38:10 am »

Ditto!!

Fred, I do remember the officer complaining that he witnessed something like eight street races... without issuing any tickets?!?!? yeah, right... Personally, I think he was half full of BS. I'm sure there was plenty of "questionable activity" but from my view I still believe all the people in the street & sidewalk was his main beef. 

I'll accept that theory, Dave. But his department may have actually gotten race or speeding complaints, further west, on Orangethorpe. We don't know. Him, however, witnessing street races... yeah, I'd be shocked if no one ticketed those people after seeing it. Who knows? All that I know is that p.d. is usually very tolerant of the aggressive take offs out of that place.

~Sarge
mg

« Reply #46 on: June 19, 2010, 03:47:51 am »

How did they restrain it when it filled the lot across the street?  Smiley  Cool
http://www.flickr.com/photos/7552532@N07/sets/72157603712632579/
« Last Edit: June 19, 2010, 03:50:48 am by MG » Logged
Dave Rosique

nobodyouno

« Reply #47 on: June 19, 2010, 05:34:15 am »

I'll accept that theory, Dave. But his department may have actually gotten race or speeding complaints, further west, on Orangethorpe. We don't know. Him, however, witnessing street races... yeah, I'd be shocked if no one ticketed those people after seeing it. Who knows? All that I know is that p.d. is usually very tolerant of the aggressive take offs out of that place.
[/quote]

^^^^True... Honestly, I'm not bagging on the PD (much). Tough call really... some of the problems associated with popularity I guess.
It would be a crying shame to see Nick's go away. One thing for sure, the officer in charge the other night will not soon forget...

Rennsurfer

« Reply #48 on: June 19, 2010, 05:59:56 am »

One thing for sure, the officer in charge the other night will not soon forget...   

True, that.

~Sarge
kingsburgphil

« Reply #49 on: June 19, 2010, 06:53:22 am »

Here's a thought, and since money makes the world go around.

Nick's hires a uniformed PD officer for "security" for say six hrs. We "pass the hat" a fiver to spectate, and ten to park. All
informal of course  Wink. Stationed at the exit he/she would put a human face on the Law. Time and a place etc. etc. or
"not here not now" to those who might show poor judgement.

After paying for the local law, maybe kick some bucks to the Chinese restaurant across the street, whom we don't patronize?
And I'm sure screams bloody murder to the PD for all of the previous reasons.

I'm guessing peer pressure/hand stamp or an event bracelet should raise enough money to save Nicks as a venue.

Please feel free to opine  Smiley

« Last Edit: June 19, 2010, 14:01:12 pm by kingsburgphil » Logged
Joel Mohr

« Reply #50 on: June 19, 2010, 19:33:58 pm »

A freind of mine talked to one of the officers across the street and he said the only reason they came out with such a presence was because no one informed them of the gathering. All they heard was there was a "mass of people at Nicks", and they responded not knowing what was going on. HE said that if they had been informed of the gathering, they would have only showed up to keep it to a minimum....I say keep things as they are, and plan ahead.....just my 2c...

SEE YA AT THE RACES!!!
Russell

« Reply #51 on: June 24, 2010, 07:52:55 am »

Well that was my 4th time at Nicks and to be fair was the least burnout activity exits Ive seen, all be it i was away by 9.30 and broke down at 9.31 about 500 yards up the road it took about 40 mins to get going, i even returned to Nicks looking for a tow rope..... whilst along orangethorpe we didn't see or hear 1 street race going on but when i returned to Nicks there was about 4-5 polices cars showing up.......

One think for sure there is a lot of out of towners there and i for one didn't realise that it is illegal to "jaywalk" cross the road !!! maybe we need some pointers so we are all aware of the dos and donts.

PS i was asked to ensure the tradition of leaving with a heavy right foot was continued, SO I DID.  Grin

PPS DKP, thank you for another excellent event and good time, well done.

All, Lets all ensure that next year is smoother for the DKP as this is must do on anyones Classic week list, would be such a shame to lose it.....

Best Regards

Russell
Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #52 on: June 24, 2010, 17:13:01 pm »

Good seeing you there Russell!

Tell us about the black oval. That wasn't the one you got from Rick Mortensen, was it??

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
peach_

« Reply #53 on: June 24, 2010, 21:03:48 pm »

Might not really be apropriate but are there any vids from nicks? like normal with the burnouts and stuff on them?

1966 java green looker- 2276 Street Machine, with standard gear box@ 14.5 (2013), With Pro Street Box @ 13.5 (2014), still more to come!

SAS RENN-WAGENS and proud

#CALLOOKDRAGS
Jim Ratto

« Reply #54 on: June 25, 2010, 18:59:05 pm »

maybe Carlos needs to trade in that red silk cape for a crossing guard's vest and STOP sign.
Fiatdude

« Reply #55 on: June 26, 2010, 01:40:33 am »

All I know is this -- -- After Richie left the event last year, everybody else is gonna be looking for a second place trophy -- I even cruised the Fiat out afterwards because I didn't want to embarass myself

But I can see where the crowd across the street can or will be a problem -- maybe with a little advance notice you can invite those businesses to set up booths to sell their wares instead of feeling that they are getting screwed out of some business because of the crowds

Fiat -- GONE
Ovalholio -- GONE
Ghia -- -- It's going

Get lost for an evening or two -- http://selvedgeyard.com/

Remember, as you travel the highway of life,
For every mile of road, there is 2 miles of ditch
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: