The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 16:22:43 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350689 Posts in 28577 Topics by 6823 Members
Latest Member: Riisager
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  Bugs For Breakfast 2.0
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10 Print
Author Topic: Bugs For Breakfast 2.0  (Read 78014 times)
Rennsurfer

D.B.O. Not a club; a state of mind.

« Reply #60 on: February 07, 2011, 15:12:34 pm »

Very cool to see more pics up on this thread. Thanks, everyone!

"You can only scramble an egg so many ways."
~Sarge
team97
DKK

3M TA3

« Reply #61 on: February 07, 2011, 17:23:56 pm »

Cool pics guy.  Wink

This car is sweet, I dig the Italian/Australian rear lights and stock wheels Cool

Quote from: Sarge

I dig the slicks,................... Steve Beechers car

Der Kleiner Panzers III
D.K.K.
Sarge

« Reply #62 on: February 07, 2011, 18:46:26 pm »

Cool pics guy.  Wink

This car is sweet, I dig the Italian/Australian rear lights and stock wheels Cool

I dig the slicks,...

..... not to mention the 2332cc motor and 51mm IDA's Cool

DKP III
johnl

« Reply #63 on: February 07, 2011, 18:50:11 pm »

WOW, what a great time at Ruby's.  I hope this will be an ongoing event and I'll make it a point to skip Cars & Coffee, sleep in and still have a great event to attend.  THANKS to all who put forth the effort to make this happen.

Side story:  I had to leave a bit early to meet with the termite people at home.  Driving down Whittier Blvd. by myself not bothering anyone I hear a BEEP !!  BEEP !! and look to my left to see a guy in a rather chalky white Dodge truck yelling something at me.  Finally I figured out he was telling me that my deck lid had the wrong handle.  I replied with "the car is ORIGINAL".  He comes back with is the car a '63?  (If he was so HOT he should have already known this) to which I replied "YES".  He continues to say "the handle is wrong".  My only response was "I'm sure happy I ran into the EXPERT" and made my right turn to head down Beach Blvd  It could only happen to me... Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley.

Volkswagens Limited, Der Kleiner Panzers Founder Member
Celebrating 60 years of Volkswagens in my life 1963-2023

Life is a learning experience and then you die but when you do you've lived a good life if you contributed to your fellow man.
Dan Mazur

« Reply #64 on: February 07, 2011, 19:41:11 pm »

Maybe next time, instead of just cruising down to the park...how about a nice glory cruise up & down Whittier Blvd?

Don't worry.  It's mutual.
DKK Ted
DKK

« Reply #65 on: February 07, 2011, 22:00:59 pm »

X2

Ted

VW Classic 2012
Hecker

« Reply #66 on: February 08, 2011, 00:29:48 am »

I'm ALWAYS  ready to cruise in my car, I guess thats a benefit to having a stock motor.
I've enjoyed driving it this last year -- thanks to Bruce  -- I think I've put around 6000 miles on it since
last January (2009)  He reminded me it should be time for a valve adjustment & another oil change.

OKAY  now we can be open to suggestions, what are your ideas ?  A cruise up & down Whittier?
How about down Beach Blvd to PCH ? A little coastline cruising, a short hop over to El Dorado Park? Let's
find out where some of you would like to go. ANY IDEAS are likely to stir some great times !!!   Cheesy            Ron
Rennsurfer

« Reply #67 on: February 08, 2011, 01:24:14 am »

A cruise to:
the beach
El Dorado Park (just like Craig Park, it's a regional one ran by the city and there is an entry fee... just a heads up)
Whittier Blvd. (careful on that one... hopefully, the local police won't have a problem with this since it's during daylight hours)

Some great ideas so far... please keep 'em flowing. This is shaping up to be a really cool gathering/event.

~Sarge
Dan Mazur

« Reply #68 on: February 08, 2011, 02:44:26 am »

I don't believe 20 + similar cars driving in a lawful fashion up and down the boulevard  one time at 12:00 noon would bring on legal enforcement.

Rennsurfer

« Reply #69 on: February 08, 2011, 03:10:15 am »

I don't believe 20 + similar cars driving in a lawful fashion up and down the boulevard  one time at 12:00 noon would bring on legal enforcement.

I agree, Dan. But we're talking about the very same law enforcement that used to hassle us all when we cruised that place, thirty years ago in our Cal Lookers. I'd park on the corner of Painter & Whittier, go buy some food at Der Weinerschniztel, some candy at the store (Ralphs, I think), and the cops would still give us a hard time. Showed 'em the receipts and that only bought us a little time. They'd come back a few minutes later and threaten to write us loitering tickets. So we'd move to another spot down the street so we could see the cars and look for our friends cruising.

Great memories and good times!

Like I said, it'll probably be no big deal. Most of those cops are most likely long gone, anyway.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2011, 03:40:29 am by DKK_Fred » Logged

~Sarge
DKK Ted
DKK

« Reply #70 on: February 08, 2011, 03:35:48 am »

I agree with all of ya, my take is, if we want to do this right, why don't 2-3 of us go to the Whittier PD and just let them know what we want to do. That we are all older nownand know better and that we obey the laws of the road. It's for old time sake. I'm sure they would understand, I hope.

Ted

VW Classic 2012
Dan Mazur

« Reply #71 on: February 08, 2011, 03:49:36 am »

Sorry Hecker, I'm not trying to start a thread jack on your successful thread.

Mark, I understand your point of view about the legal enforcement thirty years ago. It's relevent, but it also was thirty years ago.

Whitter shut down cruising Whittier Blvd. at night. There hasn't been any form of cruising there in years.

If we all 20 cars drove out on the boulevard, made only one pass to Der Weinershnitzel and back obeying all traffic laws at noon on a Saturday, again I doubt it would raise any attention. This is not a recurring theme.

I'm sure none of you were hasseled rolling down Santa Gertrudes to that park.

Hecker

« Reply #72 on: February 08, 2011, 04:23:02 am »

The only thing we have to fear -- is cops. !!!  I think as long as we obey all traffic laws - don't run any
lights, & keep enough space between cars, so as not to tailgate, etc. we should be fine!!! HECK, most
of the older cops NOW  probably had VW's when they were younger.           Ron
Speed-Randy

« Reply #73 on: February 08, 2011, 04:44:07 am »

most cops dont think a VW can go that fast!! It was only a couple months ago that I was HAULING ASS down Whittier blvd, 48's at full song. Blazing past a Camaro when I saw a motorcycle cop about 200 yards ahead with radar in hand....I quickly pushed in the clutch and let of the gas to bring it down to a nice idling coast. Guess who got pulled over... wasn't me!!! I feel kinda bad he took the hit for me, but thats what you get when drive a camaro

edcraig

« Reply #74 on: February 08, 2011, 05:26:53 am »

My recommendation...La Mirada Regional Park.  Good free parking, and good spot for photos too.  Maybe 15 minutes from Rubys.  B 4 B was great as it was a fun morning event W/O taking up the entire day.  I think a short drive after is icing on the cake.
DKK Ted
DKK

« Reply #75 on: February 08, 2011, 05:33:20 am »

Gotta say Randy, that is pretty cool. But, yes, if we keep within the law and not draw attention, will be fine. I think the only attention will be people giving us thumbs up, it's happened to me. my thinking is to go down Scott Ave. to Lambert, make a right, go down to Santa Fe Springs Rd. make a right go back up to Whittier to the 4 points, make a right onto Whittier, then we cruz back to either to Ruby's or to the park we went to, What ya think??? Maybe have someone take some pics of everything or even video!!  Grin

Ted

VW Classic 2012
Kaferdog
DKK

« Reply #76 on: February 08, 2011, 11:09:34 am »

Hmmmm just a few notes.......
1.As far the Whittier PD...I don't think those cops are still on the force ..! Most of them(P.D.) are way younger than us now ...! I don't feel like a target at all nowadays... !I have encountered many a P.D. in Whittier and I don't even get a look...!!

2. I was thinking the same thing about a cruise to the beach..maybe  Shoreline Village in Long Beach...? Great view and great for some pics with the Queen Mary in the background also Lots of parking ...? also places to grab a bite for lunch or a drink ( Mmmm Ice Cold Brewskie)@Tequila Jacks (Yes I do work there ..!),Yard House( Even More Cold Brewskie's),etc....

3.also El Dorado parks sounds good too...Very Classic spot

But I know some of us have a long drive just to get to Rubys...!.....Anyway I'm down for a LiL Cruizin after breakfast so any where would be cool....!!!

"I am on a drug, it's called 'Volkswagen.' It's not available 'cause if you try it once you will die. Your face will melt off, and children will weep over your exploded body."
Rennsurfer

« Reply #77 on: February 08, 2011, 15:09:17 pm »

Shoreline Village in Long Beach... that would be COOL! Good suggestion, Randy. We could even include El Dorado park on the way, too.

Keep the ideas flowing, please.

~Sarge
Kaferdog
DKK

« Reply #78 on: February 08, 2011, 18:34:13 pm »

Thanks Mark....Yeah I think it would make some great shots ....it's a very scenic spot...!
Starting next week they start setting up the barriers for the Long Beach Grand Prix in April..Last year I was thinking how cool it would be to take a pic with nothing but VW's crossing the finish line with all the grandstand and barriers In full "Long Beach Grand Prix style"......!! after that we could head down through Belmont shores ( Ocean to 2nd st)up to Studebaker to 22 frwy up to 605 frwy and get off on Spring st to El Dorado Park..? We could take the 605 W to 105 W to 710 S down to Shoreline drive ...?
« Last Edit: February 08, 2011, 18:46:11 pm by Kaferdog » Logged

"I am on a drug, it's called 'Volkswagen.' It's not available 'cause if you try it once you will die. Your face will melt off, and children will weep over your exploded body."
DKK Ted
DKK

« Reply #79 on: February 08, 2011, 18:42:15 pm »

Cool idea and a very cool cruz route! I'm in!! Some more input on this one....

Ted

VW Classic 2012
Sarge

« Reply #80 on: February 08, 2011, 23:27:10 pm »

I feel homesick... Sad

There!!... feel better now? Grin

I like the idea of a little longer cruise, too.  Might be fun to try a trip up Painter (a QUIET trip) to Turnbull Canyon Rd then back down Colima to Whittier Blvd.

DKP III
Carlos De Alba

« Reply #81 on: February 08, 2011, 23:37:32 pm »

how about driving down to Tijuana??  Roll Eyes Who cares if I don't comeback...........

Der Kleiner Panzers
Sarge

« Reply #82 on: February 08, 2011, 23:41:49 pm »

how about driving down to Tijuana??  Roll Eyes Who cares if I don't comeback...........

quit feeling sorry for yourself.... sheeeeeeshh!

DKP III
johnl

« Reply #83 on: February 08, 2011, 23:46:58 pm »

You can get enough GAS from the food down there, sooooooooooooooooooooo you won't need to fill the tank in your car to come back home........... Tongue Tongue Tongue

Volkswagens Limited, Der Kleiner Panzers Founder Member
Celebrating 60 years of Volkswagens in my life 1963-2023

Life is a learning experience and then you die but when you do you've lived a good life if you contributed to your fellow man.
Rennsurfer

« Reply #84 on: February 09, 2011, 02:06:19 am »

[I like the idea of a little longer cruise, too.  Might be fun to try a trip up Painter (a QUIET trip) to Turnbull Canyon Rd then back down Colima to Whittier Blvd.

Wow... that would be really fun! Haven't driven that route since I had my brand new '84 VW Rabbit.

~Sarge
Dan Mazur

« Reply #85 on: February 09, 2011, 02:32:20 am »

Okay Y'all, just for clarity.

I was only proposing the idea of a 10 minute jaunt up & down Whittier Blvd. as a fit ending to a great breakfast event.

The BFB is the actual reason why we are gathering and most want to go home after yapping and eating.

Please, save your larger scale plans for a perfect day when we can actually spend the time driving and stopping.

For now, lets just eat breakfast at Ruby's and maybe take a quick spin.

DM

Speed-Randy

« Reply #86 on: February 09, 2011, 05:42:15 am »

Okay Y'all, just for clarity.

I was only proposing the idea of a 10 minute jaunt up & down Whittier Blvd. as a fit ending to a great breakfast event.

The BFB is the actual reason why we are gathering and most want to go home after yapping and eating.

Please, save your larger scale plans for a perfect day when we can actually spend the time driving and stopping.

For now, lets just eat breakfast at Ruby's and maybe take a quick spin.

DM
So dont go on the cruise then, we can and will do want we want

Hecker

« Reply #87 on: February 09, 2011, 06:06:38 am »

I don't know --- it just seems like this car should be my first picture on this thread.
[ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ]
R.I.P. Shubee
Hecker

« Reply #88 on: February 09, 2011, 06:13:16 am »

Nice of Randy to test drive his daughter's beautiful ghia. You can see build pics on the In da Werks thread
He did the paint himself. His daughter drives it, when he isn't.
[ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ]
low oval
DKK

« Reply #89 on: February 09, 2011, 06:29:42 am »

I'm up for a cruise, whittier blvd. is fine, cruising turnbull canyon would be fun also.  I'm even in for a cruise to pch, then north (or south).
I say you (Ron) and Bruce make the call, and then post it up.  You guys started this gathering, so take it where YOU want it to go.
As far as the cops, I have been in 50+ nova cruises, without telling the local law enforcement agencies, and everything has been fine as long as you obey the law.

"and that's when the cops showed up"
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: