The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 05, 2024, 09:43:19 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
351094 Posts in 28640 Topics by 6846 Members
Latest Member: JamesBoyd
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  Bumpy ride. Tire Pressure OMG fix.....
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Bumpy ride. Tire Pressure OMG fix.....  (Read 9250 times)
Worm
DKK

Whose stupid idea was that?

« on: July 02, 2010, 19:33:20 pm »

I have been having SO many issues with my car having such a bumpy and at times scary ride at freeway speeds.  I had been drifting all over the freeway, feeling every damn jolting bump, the tires were even following the cut lines on the freeway, it was just awful.  We tried all kinds of things to make it go away.  So yesterday I spoke to the guy at Suzy's place...Jeff?  Told me what he thought the problem is and I did what he said and PROBLEM SOLVED!!!!!!!!!!!

He said I had, "shopping cart wheel"  Gets going fast and wobbles like mad.  Yep.  So make certain you try this......

Run your front tires at 18-22 psi.  Mine were at 35psi (just like the the tire says).  I am now aware that VW says 35psi at 1500 lbs a corner.  Hell our cars are 1500 total, not per corner.  He showed me the VW manual and it says 18-22 per corner.

I went from a pogo stick to a Cadillac in 2 minutes.  I have mine at 19psi and it glides over bumps now and the footprint is bigger and the tires dont follow the cut lines in the freeway anymore.  Do IT!

Many of you may already know this and I am so very proud of you for being smarter than me.  BUT, if you do not....hope it helps some of you.

"Pretending to know everything closes the door on whats really there"
Jim Ratto

« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2010, 19:47:46 pm »

NICE Scott

You will probably get more wear out of your tires as well. I did the same thing about a year ago. Dropped rears to 27psi and front to 19psi (was running 34/26!). My 205/65 Firestones that were on rear were showing much more wear in center than shoulders, figured I was way off @ 34psi

Pressure adjustment, addition of Konis in rear, Boge shocks up front and some tweaking to ride height and toe has gone a long way in making my car so much more civilized. Now just need to get rid of the stupid solid trans mount.
Rennsurfer

D.B.O. Not a club; a state of mind.

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2010, 23:36:28 pm »

Yep! Great advice, right there. Schwimmer told me that one shortly after I got my '67. That and going to 145 tires really helped the car drive/feel/handle better.

"You can only scramble an egg so many ways."
~Sarge
Jason Foster

7.69 87mph 12.35 106 mph

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2010, 03:49:49 am »

Now just need to get rid of the stupid solid trans mount.

You are getting OLD buddy. 

STRENGTH THROUGH JOY...........

Der Kleiner Panzers
Kaferdog
DKK

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2010, 06:48:32 am »

Ok ...read the post earlier...I had the same problem...!!! ....Works like a charm...!!!.... Grin Grin

"I am on a drug, it's called 'Volkswagen.' It's not available 'cause if you try it once you will die. Your face will melt off, and children will weep over your exploded body."
Lids

show me the chedder

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2010, 13:07:28 pm »

i find it funny that the most frequent question on car forums is what tyre pressure to run with such and such tires as if this ahs anythign to do with it!  Its always about car weight distribution.

Just imagine what would have happened if you braked hard in the rain... Cry

If there's enough horse shit around, there must be a pony!
Buy your ciderberry here.

http://www.thatcherscider.co.uk/
javabug

WHAT'S UP WID DA BOOM BOOM???

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2010, 16:42:42 pm »

It can be real hard to convince yourself that 18-20 lbs. (front) in our tires is correct.  It is all good though.

Mike H.

Sven was right.
TexasTom

12.58@106, 7.89@89 Texas Motorplex 10/18/09

« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2010, 00:43:04 am »

I gotta disagree ...
Those tire pressure recommendations (factory VW stickers) were made made and displayed in the heydays of bias-ply tires, and those specifications work well for that type!
But, there has been quite a bit of technology development ...in the past, oh say 30 years ... in the tire industry.
Though still a bit lower than the normal recommendations, I have found better handling and performance running 25-27 front and 29-31 rear, (especially for lowered cars) when running radials.
Of course, I'm talking about a properly aligned car.

Just my .02.

Work, work, WORK!

Modesty accepted here ...
DKK Ted
DKK

« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2010, 01:40:01 am »

Kaferdog, what tire pressure are you running now, front and back?

Ted

VW Classic 2012
Kaferdog
DKK

« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2010, 02:00:25 am »

Kaferdog, what tire pressure are you running now, front and back?

Ted
Ted .......I'm running 20lbs in the front and 22lbs in the rear ...might drop it down a 1lb  more in both front & rear...Maybe....!!!....."BIG" difference in ride though..!!..... Shocked

"I am on a drug, it's called 'Volkswagen.' It's not available 'cause if you try it once you will die. Your face will melt off, and children will weep over your exploded body."
DKK Ted
DKK

« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2010, 02:31:17 am »

You did this today? I may do the same. My ride is almost like Worm s, more wondering than anything. Remember the conversation we had with Joel? It's all coming together now. So also, it may improve on traction too, like at the track.  Grin

Ted

VW Classic 2012
Bruce

« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2010, 09:18:15 am »

Those tire pressure recommendations (factory VW stickers) were made made and displayed in the heydays of bias-ply tires, and those specifications work well for that type!
But, there has been quite a bit of technology development ...in the past, oh say 30 years ... in the tire industry.
Actually, the recommended tire pressures for bias ply tires was 16psi front and 26 rear.  For radials, it was 19F and 27R.

Nothing has changed since radials were first introduced.  The last Mexican Beetles made in 2003 had a factory recommendation of 18.5 psi F, and 27 psi Rear.

Last month while trying to get the best mileage, I ran the pressures up to 26F/34R.  The ride was harsher, and braking reduced.  The fronts had much more tendancy to lock up.  Tires are back down to where they should be.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2010, 09:21:05 am by Bruce » Logged
Kaferdog
DKK

« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2010, 09:34:08 am »

You did this today? I may do the same. My ride is almost like Worm s, more wondering than anything. Remember the conversation we had with Joel? It's all coming together now. So also, it may improve on traction too, like at the track.  Grin

Ted
Thats right ..it was Joel Mohr who was talking about this ..!..I couldn't think of who had mentioned this ..!!

j-dub

« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2010, 19:41:05 pm »

Good thread, I am going to try the recommended pressures.
jayuyano

« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2010, 21:25:50 pm »

I went to 29 front today big change THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Neil Davies

« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2010, 21:59:39 pm »

I've always run 19psi in the front of my cars - I tried as high as 24psi but it always made the front feel skittish. I've also tried various rear tyre pressures, from 20 all the way up to just over 30. This higher they are, the easier they spin! Wink

2007cc, 48IDFs, street car. 14.45@93 on pump fuel, treads, muffler and fanbelt. October 2017!
Bruce

« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2010, 22:54:49 pm »

Now try 19.
Kaferdog
DKK

« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2010, 22:31:27 pm »

Now try 19.
Yep I did that ...even better !!!!

benssp

www.callookvw.com

« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2010, 09:03:21 am »

I've always run 19 up front and 26 at the back as per the sticker on the car Grin

www.vwheritage.com  My Job
www.bernardnewbury.co.uk My Team
any work related enquiries to ben@vwheritage.com PM's about work will not be answered Cheesy

Bitburg Motor Boat Club Founder Member

YMCA
lawrence

« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2010, 04:15:17 am »

I changed my tire pressures today. Front: 20 Rear: 30 and the car feels a lot smoother over bumps, manholes etc. I did not get a chance to carve my favorite, local back road to see how it felt. Soon...

"Happiness is a Hot VW!"
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: