The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 02:31:20 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350687 Posts in 28576 Topics by 6822 Members
Latest Member: tpb_karl
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  puerto rico adventure
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 Print
Author Topic: puerto rico adventure  (Read 87026 times)
bilboa2

« Reply #150 on: April 17, 2011, 00:12:25 am »

oops, kieth answer on your own new "post" (buzzword..) you'll be all over this soon with your attitude.. dam it..
TexasTom

12.58@106, 7.89@89 Texas Motorplex 10/18/09

« Reply #151 on: April 17, 2011, 00:35:18 am »

Dang right! What we need here is a little more ATTITUDE!
LOL
TxT

Work, work, WORK!

Modesty accepted here ...
So.Cal.Life

« Reply #152 on: April 17, 2011, 03:21:45 am »

THANK ALL OF YOU for the welcome, first off , my typing skills are a cruel joke on me. Bill I will post" vette boy "story on the choptop stories thread soon ,not D land ,took place coming home from fullerton courthouse ,traffic court my second home during those years ,was in the same car PRE chop.  Russel ,chopped is a 1962,you have so many,it is all a blurr LOL. Thank you for being the caretaker of all these cars you are blessed. Keith,hope you are doing well ,I know I sold my car to the right guy ,for the reasons we disscussed ,my word on that period !!.Now, after not being in a" real car"for nearly 16 years, the ride with YOU in YOUR car was to cool . Rick , your car is proof that later post cars can look factory correct ,with dual muffs fit is everything , if I did it all over again I would have properly bobbed my fenders & apron for looks & clearance , in any case ,Rick you got the top right you will get the muffs right too.I hope to see for real sometime. whatever you do dont get all flusterd & buy some" ILL FITTING OFF THE RACK LOPSIDED SINGLE MUFF " that once you get it home you find out you have to grab the "CANOPENER, SAWSALL, CHAINSAW ,ETC.and basterdize a center peashooter notch in a perfectly good apron!!!   LIKE KEITH SEUME DID. ALL IN FUN  LOLOLOLOL                                  HEY KEITH , DID I BRING IT YOU GOTTA LOVE IT                     KEITH GOSS
Fastbrit

Keep smiling...

« Reply #153 on: April 17, 2011, 07:33:20 am »

THANK ALL OF YOU for the welcome, first off , my typing skills are a cruel joke on me. Bill I will post" vette boy "story on the choptop stories thread soon ,not D land ,took place coming home from fullerton courthouse ,traffic court my second home during those years ,was in the same car PRE chop.  Russel ,chopped is a 1962,you have so many,it is all a blurr LOL. Thank you for being the caretaker of all these cars you are blessed. Keith,hope you are doing well ,I know I sold my car to the right guy ,for the reasons we disscussed ,my word on that period !!.Now, after not being in a" real car"for nearly 16 years, the ride with YOU in YOUR car was to cool . Rick , your car is proof that later post cars can look factory correct ,with dual muffs fit is everything , if I did it all over again I would have properly bobbed my fenders & apron for looks & clearance , in any case ,Rick you got the top right you will get the muffs right too.I hope to see for real sometime. whatever you do dont get all flusterd & buy some" ILL FITTING OFF THE RACK LOPSIDED SINGLE MUFF " that once you get it home you find out you have to grab the "CANOPENER, SAWSALL, CHAINSAW ,ETC.and basterdize a center peashooter notch in a perfectly good apron!!!   LIKE KEITH SEUME DID. ALL IN FUN  LOLOLOLOL                                  HEY KEITH , DID I BRING IT YOU GOTTA LOVE IT                     KEITH GOSS
Why you....!!! hahahahahahaha!  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

I feel truly blessed that I ran into you at FAT last year, on the very day I drove my car for the very first time in SoCal. It was meant to be, my friend. The look on your face as we cruised down to the gas station said it all: "I will be back!". So, along with everyone else, I'm hoping you're now inspired to build another car someday. Tell you what, I'll have a spare seat in my car going out to the European Bug-In this year – wanna ride?  Wink

Der Kleiner Panzers VW Club    
12.56sec street-driven Cal Looker in 1995
9.87sec No Mercy race car in 1994
Seems like a lifetime ago...
rick m

Driving Hot VWs for 44 Years Strong!

« Reply #154 on: April 17, 2011, 07:36:16 am »

Hey Tom.  The chop is really a 20ft car.  You know, the ones that look great from a distance.  It is not terrible but compared to my last 67, not near as pristine.  Still, having bought the roller from someone with EMPI five spokes, a white interior and junk 1776, I have tried hard to convert it to more of a traditional looker, with the exception of the moldings.  I chose to have them all black powder coated for now until i get the energy to redo the whole car in the future.  It is turning out pretty nice for something I am just trying to give a face lift.

Your blue car is killer too.  One of these days I may need to make a Texas road trip.  Or, you could come out west and we could hang at one of the events.  Stay in touch. Still need to equip the chop with a line lock for version two of the street burnout wars!  :-)

Rick M

Rick Mortensen
Driving Hot VWs since 1970
rick m

« Reply #155 on: April 17, 2011, 07:37:34 am »

K Goss,

Thanks for the nice words on the late model body style.  It has pretty good lines for a late model.  Will definitely have to hook up with you when I am over for the classic.

Rick M

Rick Mortensen
So.Cal.Life

« Reply #156 on: April 18, 2011, 08:32:36 am »

HEY FASTBRIT  proper "thread' rules to continue on" welcome KG"thread ? Ligit question, I dont know , but I dont want to be a "thread whore" at PAUL  & MARKS  expence .  I'll go to KG tread to reply.
Russell

« Reply #157 on: April 23, 2011, 00:30:04 am »

So ive just read the latest Hot VWs and read the feature (all be it a very good one) on lead loading, however to my surprise it would appear that this is happening on the LB2........ now Im pretty sure that wasnt done back in the day.......

Gents, please do not think im being rude but please please dont over restore this car, we want to see the original Lightening Bug all be it rust free and safe to drive, please.

Russell

Best Regards

Russell
Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #158 on: April 23, 2011, 01:39:59 am »

So ive just read the latest Hot VWs and read the feature (all be it a very good one) on lead loading, however to my surprise it would appear that this is happening on the LB2........ now Im pretty sure that wasnt done back in the day.......

Gents, please do not think im being rude but please please dont over restore this car, we want to see the original Lightening Bug all be it rust free and safe to drive, please.

Russell

YES!!

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
TexasTom

« Reply #159 on: April 23, 2011, 03:43:46 am »

I'm of the opinion that if the Schleys want to go full chassis and turn it into a PRO STOCK, it will still be The Lightning Bug.

They spent a good part of their younger lives creating, developing, tuning, fine tuning, then creating again this entity that is The Lightening Bug. They built and made the parts, designed the cams, built and rebuilt the trannies, designed the paint schemes, placed the decals ... then hauled it all over the US and raced it.
As far as I'm concerned if they wanted to paint it purple ... It is what It IS: The Schley Brothers Racecar.
After seeing the STELLAR restoration performed on the Dragster, it is obvious to me that NO ONE is better or more HIGHLY qualified to restore this car than it's Creators.

... Let's just 'say' someone else was doing it and questions arise as to how something should be done in a particular area that no pictures are available for, what would you do?
THEY KNOW! & No one Else!
[ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ]

This is a photo of a spacer they originally made that goes between the transaxle and the engine on the dragster. There is a very good and interesting story behind this particular piece and the fact that it is STILL on the car ... Anyone else may have given up and 'remade' the piece, they found it and restored it to be a functional piece and used it because it was CORRECT to the ORIGINAL BUILD.

... And that's all I have to say about that ...
TxT

Work, work, WORK!

H67bug

« Reply #160 on: April 23, 2011, 07:47:48 am »

Whilst strong opinions on cars owned by others might be considered intrusive, where that car has a history that is emotional and a key part of a scene people are wrapped up in it does not seem unexpected.

Where the car is owned by others who actually designed, built and then properly raced it themselves and who are subsequently restoring it themselves; sharing those strong opinions repeatedly does seem somewhat misplaced, maybe even a little rude.

True history is being made with this car- it is not a facsimile- and I am sure it will be great no matter what they do or how they do it- you just cant "fake the funk" and you "cant buy class".....

Just my 2 cents.
Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #161 on: April 23, 2011, 07:56:09 am »

Not that my opinion matters but, I would like to see the Lightning Bug that was, not the Lightning Bug the brothers wished it could have been. I fear the latter will be the end result here.

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
Lids

show me the chedder

« Reply #162 on: April 23, 2011, 08:14:09 am »

Too be honest i don't give a toss, I just wanna see it!!!!

If there's enough horse shit around, there must be a pony!
Buy your ciderberry here.

http://www.thatcherscider.co.uk/
Sarge

« Reply #163 on: April 23, 2011, 15:03:49 pm »

.....  "I just wanna see it!!!!"

OK then.... Wink

DKP III
Russell

« Reply #164 on: April 23, 2011, 16:05:58 pm »

Sarge great photo, but wrong car, I'm sure this is LB 2

Best Regards

Russell

« Reply #165 on: April 23, 2011, 16:42:16 pm »

No, that is Lightning Bug 1, which sadly no longer exists.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2011, 16:45:00 pm by Richard Roth » Logged
danny gabbard

gabfab

« Reply #166 on: April 23, 2011, 20:33:10 pm »

Is that the one that got acid dipped and sat to long ? If the original people that built the car are rebuilding the car, They probably would know more details about the car than someone that got hired to restore it. I sure the car will be fine and let the boys have fun restoreing it.

A poor craftsman, Blame's it on poor tools.  GAB-FAB shop # 775 246-3069
deano

« Reply #167 on: April 23, 2011, 22:48:20 pm »

Another great Sarge photo from the distant past. Paul Schley shown with hair (some....  Grin), and the front end of the famed DDS Dodge van.

Hot VWs Magazine Window Washer
Anglia Obsolete Guru
'67 Heaven
rick m

« Reply #168 on: April 23, 2011, 23:58:23 pm »

Looks like LB1 to me too.  Originally it had the steel wheels in the back too.  I'm sure the Schleys added the aluminum rears once DDS introduced them. Paul and Mark, according to my best recollection, worked at DDS for a spell.

Rick M

Rick Mortensen
Russell

« Reply #169 on: April 24, 2011, 00:36:22 am »

I know I'm stupid and cant type yes it is LB1 in Sarges photo, however Lids said he just wanted to see it...... meaning LB2

And the reason I know this....... is that the replica LB1, as pictured above will be at EBI4, then NHRA, then Schleys and then Bugin 2012..........

Some back up...... when i got stutt bee it was a wreck, however we only repainted the roof, clear coated the sides to preserve and make the mechanics safe, we used another pan until we can refurbish the original one........ it would have been so easy to strip car completely and redo 100% but like an old painting its never redone only repaired, touched up, etc.

The lee Leighton car, was only repainted and then front braked added back in, everthing else was cleaned and reused oh and a repair to the rear valance that was cut out....

Tar Babe, OK it had the works to the body, but still used original interior tin work but was redone as was and not made better, more modern, etc as this is why it was in this state that it needed redone.

As Ive said before it is Mark and Paul's car and up to them, but we are allowed free speech in most of the world and i only hope they fix whats broken and dont modernise too much, it would be too easy to overdo and some of us want to see the historic LB2 and not an up to date one
« Last Edit: April 24, 2011, 10:36:50 am by Russell Ritchie » Logged

Best Regards

Russell
Bryan67

« Reply #170 on: April 24, 2011, 02:15:21 am »

They did a great job on the dragster didn`t they?

If you`re going to do something, do it right.
TexasTom

« Reply #171 on: April 24, 2011, 15:02:36 pm »

They did a great job on the dragster didn`t they?

My point EXACTLY.  Roll Eyes

Work, work, WORK!

T.Fabs

« Reply #172 on: April 25, 2011, 02:31:44 am »

Coming soon...

Proud Member of the Der Kleiner Panzers.
danny gabbard

gabfab

« Reply #173 on: April 25, 2011, 03:55:04 am »

Who did the original chop ??

A poor craftsman, Blame's it on poor tools.  GAB-FAB shop # 775 246-3069
TexasTom

« Reply #174 on: April 25, 2011, 04:05:32 am »

Coming soon...

Awesome.

Work, work, WORK!

Jon
Administrator

12,3@174km/t at Gardermoen 2008

« Reply #175 on: April 25, 2011, 09:47:01 am »

This thread reminds me of something Finnish dragracer Jussi replied to a question about why all his racers are a bit on the dirty side...
He said " there are two ways to build a race car, fast or nice... I build fast"

Grumpy old men have signatures like this.
bugnut68

« Reply #176 on: April 25, 2011, 16:37:34 pm »

This thread reminds me of something Finnish dragracer Jussi replied to a question about why all his racers are a bit on the dirty side...
He said " there are two ways to build a race car, fast or nice... I build fast"

x2 Grin  I like that philosophy.  My '70 project is a faded out, diamond blue heap pockmarked with surface rust, but in order to justify my lack of sufficient funds to make it "nice," I find the Mark Herbert philosophy of "less bling, more performance" to be the mantra I want to follow.  After all, it's all about fun first and foremost, right?
Fastbrit

Keep smiling...

« Reply #177 on: April 25, 2011, 16:44:54 pm »

As long as your ultimate aim is to have your car running well AND looking good... Wink

Der Kleiner Panzers VW Club    
12.56sec street-driven Cal Looker in 1995
9.87sec No Mercy race car in 1994
Seems like a lifetime ago...
bugnut68

« Reply #178 on: April 25, 2011, 18:33:06 pm »

As long as your ultimate aim is to have your car running well AND looking good... Wink

Oh, I've got goals...Grin  I've seen one too many attractive late model Cal Lookers to not have ideas in mind for the future...
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #179 on: April 30, 2011, 09:44:34 am »

same day , same dragstrip ,same car  Grin Grin different angle   Wink

« Last Edit: April 30, 2011, 09:48:57 am by speedwell » Logged

http://speedwell55.skynetblogs.be/
oldspeed 61 standard empi/speedwell
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: