The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 13:39:35 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350687 Posts in 28576 Topics by 6822 Members
Latest Member: tpb_karl
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  SHUBEE PASSES
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print
Author Topic: SHUBEE PASSES  (Read 41963 times)
Jon
Administrator

12,3@174km/t at Gardermoen 2008

« Reply #60 on: February 09, 2011, 14:58:48 pm »

This is very sad news, I've had a lot of interesting conversations with him both prior and after meeting him in real life at DKP cruise night in 08. He was a knowledgeable and highly skilled man, and refreshingly free spoken. I respected his opinions on all things cal-look and loved his fresh twists on the subject. The world has now become a duller place. My thoughts goes to his family and friends, you have suffered a big loss, as have we all...
Rest in peace Shubee

Grumpy old men have signatures like this.
Kobus

See you at the NEXT EUROPEAN BUGIN!!! Summer 2011!

« Reply #61 on: February 09, 2011, 16:27:11 pm »

Another sad day in the Cal Look scene....

Rest in peace Garry and say hi to Ken and the others up there from me.....

Keep the Thru Cal-Look Alive!!!!
vwracing65

" Don't Let It Ya Bug!!! "

« Reply #62 on: February 09, 2011, 17:43:22 pm »

I've never meet Gary in person just back in forth with emails and PM's.  I was wanting to meet him at our Tx Classic, but work kept me from going.  He was truely a great guy and will be missed.

johnl

« Reply #63 on: February 09, 2011, 17:48:06 pm »

As per Becky's request for photos on the other post regarding Shubee I can offer the following.  These two shots were taken at the DKP 45th reunion last May at the Schley's home.  Shubee and Mike (Mikey) Olivieri talk of their days together at Auto Haus of long ago.

Volkswagens Limited, Der Kleiner Panzers Founder Member
Celebrating 60 years of Volkswagens in my life 1963-2023

Life is a learning experience and then you die but when you do you've lived a good life if you contributed to your fellow man.
Grelland

« Reply #64 on: February 09, 2011, 17:53:05 pm »

Never met Gary in person, but talked to him over MSN occationaly, and he will surely be missed

My thoughts go out to his friends and family

RIP, Gary

Roy

« Reply #65 on: February 09, 2011, 18:01:57 pm »

Really Really sorry to hear this, Gary was one of thoses guys who had been there and seen it a true loss for us all on the lounge and in the scene.

God Bless

Best Regards

Russell
volkskris

« Reply #66 on: February 09, 2011, 18:40:56 pm »

R.I.P. Shubee Cry
Black Sheep

less is more

« Reply #67 on: February 09, 2011, 19:16:30 pm »

Really sad news , Rocket told me earlier  Cry
                 R.I.P Gary

Stick with what you know works .
13.03 @ 98mph
TexasBug

« Reply #68 on: February 09, 2011, 22:33:47 pm »

Gary Shubrook called one afternoon, then came by my house to pick up a pair of '62-'67 tail light housings.  He told me that he was heading out early the next morning to California to pick up a '66 Beetle. He was going to hook up and tow this Beetle back to Texas and needed the housings and bulb holders to support his tow lights.

I had no more contact with Gary until a VW friend called from Corsicana to tell me the sad news that Gary had passed.

I enjoyed talking with Gary and learned a lot of VW lore and parts information from him.  After 17 years working the VW parts desk, the man had a lot of knowledge stored in his head.  And, he was never stingy with his knowledge!  I can still hear his quiet voice explaining the ins and outs of one part or another.  His cars sport a number of parts from my VW parts stash.

Gary was a familiar figure at all VW events in the Dallas-Fort Worth area, especially, and elsewhere in Texas.  His '67 Beetle is a fine car.  And...he was working on a '58 Bug as well.

We here will miss Gary.  I still cannot believe that he is gone.  He will long be remembered as a Pillar in the Volkswagen Community.

Good-bye, Gary!

Texas Bug (jay salser)
Susy

PowderPuff VW Racing Rocks

« Reply #69 on: February 09, 2011, 23:00:57 pm »

Very Sad News.  I looked forward to seeing him at Bug-In's and whenever else he was here.

Our condolences to Becky and the whole family!  You can never be prepared for this.  Our thoughts and prayers are with you!

Take Care,
Susy & Mike Herbert

MSH Racing
1970 Karmann Ghia
Type 1 - 2400cc  48 IDA's - 12 Second Street Car - Pump Gas
PowderPuff VW Racing Coordinator
2009 & 2010 Series Two PowderPuff Champion
SlingShot

« Reply #70 on: February 10, 2011, 06:11:43 am »

I met Gary at Bug In 33. Very knowledgeable dude. His passion for VW's was inspiring, and sometimes he would ruffle my feathers a little ;-) He definitely has a big heart.
Rest in Peace Shubee....  I hope your rolling some nos BRM's upstairs right now.
P.S. you better help make your Grandsons ride Bad Ass  Smiley

Will Race For Beer !!!
61SNRF

Der Selten Kafers Charter Member

« Reply #71 on: February 10, 2011, 06:57:46 am »

I am still looking for ways to express how deeply I feel the loss of my very dear and close friend , William Gary aka "Shubee" Shubrook. Cry Cry Cry

I was the lucky one who was able to spend a little shop time with him at my home recently to help prepare his eagerly awaited new project for his Grandson that he was so proud of. I was able to spend two quality days with him, working side by side with the same goal and desire. It was just like old times when we first met in 1975. Had I only known.... Cry

THERE IS NO SCHOOL LIKE OLD SCHOOL!!!

With his embrace of the Internet and his passion for cars and Volkswagens in particular, he will truly be missed around the World.

My deepest sympathy's are with his wife family

May God Bless him

Proud to be his friend, Bruce

« Last Edit: February 10, 2011, 07:06:21 am by 61SNRF » Logged
Fritter

« Reply #72 on: February 10, 2011, 08:21:36 am »

Wow, very shocking and sad.  He seemed to have so many projects and plans for the future which makes it even sadder. RIP Shubee.

Mike F.
'64 Indigo Blue sunroof Bug
JonW

« Reply #73 on: February 11, 2011, 06:13:12 am »

Becky just told me over the phone about these posts and I had to login and read them. It's obvious that even those who only knew him via phone and internet could tell just what a great and genuine guy Gary was. I think that's the most amazing thing about Gary. The Shubee Charm.

I met him at Barrett's and later worked with him at Small Car. He introduced me to a bunch of guys just like him.... quick witted, sharp tongued, VW encyclopedias. Actually, CAR encyclopedias. But some of my favorite memories are when he and I'd go "yardin'". I felt like a kid brother as we'd peruse the wrecking yard in search of rare parts.. which he'd make me remove. The best ( or worst Smiley ) was when we came across a 1967 Chevy II up on blocks. It was pretty well gone through and it looked like someone drained all the oil and trans fluid right there under the car! He gave it the once over and when he looked inside I heard "Oh, MF... it's a four speed. That bell housing is hard to find.......  Go get it for me." Of course there was no way I was going to climb through all that greasy mud under there and I told him so. Yeah... no way...  sure there wasn't. Gary grabbed an old sheepskin seat cover out of the junker next to it, handed it to me and said "There you go". But the best part... after I pulled the trans, dumping the rest of the fluids out of the bad crank and input shaft seals, drug myself out covered in grease and handed him the bell housing he said to me....wait for it.... "How you getting home? You're not riding in the Lumina like that."

Sorry for the long post, but I knew Gary 25 years. He was like a Big Brother to me in every way. He even hit me with a Stinger Baffle once. We laughed about that.... much later. So yes, Pray for Becky and the Family. Pray that Gary's up there with his "Ma" laughing like he always does. But Please also pray for the friends that knew him well. The ones that knew him much better than I do. This roads gonna be a lot longer than a 1/4 mile.

I don't know if there's a Nabisco up in heaven, but I do know that Gary's at the line, next to GOD and when the flag drops he just may Whole Shot him Smiley
OgCalLook

Straight outa Riverside!

« Reply #74 on: February 11, 2011, 07:11:01 am »

RIP Shubee. Thought s and prayers to your Family

Tom Hewitson
Bahama Blau Kafer

Zach Gomulka: "California Look is walking softly and carrying a big fucking stick."
shubees_wife

« Reply #75 on: February 11, 2011, 15:00:24 pm »

Thank You for all your kind words.
Today Melisa and Cadan and I start our trip back to calif without my sweet husband. Still feels unreal
Will be annoucing information on the Memorial service in the next few days. Will be held in Calif.

thanks again,
shubees_wife

Becky Shubrook

« Reply #76 on: February 11, 2011, 17:08:43 pm »

My sincerest condolences for your loss.
Might you post some vintage photos of Gary we may not have seen ?
I will miss him.
JonW

« Reply #77 on: February 11, 2011, 20:57:19 pm »

You're bringing back some memories with the house story, Dave. It was on Patritti Ave. I remember it because he used to call it "Patritti Raceway" and he gave me my first ride in a 10 second car down that street. He called the car Mr. Tibbs. I don't think he ever timed it, but if Gary said it was a "10-second car" then I have no doubts.

It was about 10 PM and we just got back from the In-N-Out, in the Scirocco I think. He just had the muffler run under the car on Tibbs... first one I'd ever seen... and he had to fire it up. He ran it up and down the street to warm it up and then said hop in. So.... long dark street with maybe 4 light posts, cars parked on both sides so there was barely enough room to call it a lane. Gary starts Tibbs off with a roll to be nice to the trans and then NAILS IT! Of course he had a Deist belt for himself, but nothing for the passenger. That thing set me back so hard I was grabbing the seat bottom so I wouldn't end up in the back seat! I don't know which one of us was laughing harder Smiley

Patritti Raceway !
Hecker

« Reply #78 on: February 12, 2011, 01:50:09 am »

My sincerest condolences for your loss.
Might you post some vintage photos of Gary we may not have seen ?
I will miss him.
Hang on Rich, I'm scanning my old photos as fast as I can. I've got hundreds in albums,drawers, envelopes,
etc. I finally figured out the scanning / zoom / retouch / procedure. I ran across some from '75,76, & '77
last night. I' ll do my best to get them on here this weekend. Everyone here on the lounge will not believe
the pics I found.  The stories of the room are great --- I knew him when it was EMPTY    Ron
Hecker

« Reply #79 on: February 12, 2011, 05:50:06 am »

I will start the "vintage Shubee" with his second VW. This was a 69 from a friend in El Monte.
He had it painted Beige basecoat with gold pearl & clearcoat. The EMPI 8 spokes painted bright
gold mini-metalflake really set it off. This is the car he had while working at Autohaus in Pomona.
[ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ]
Hecker

« Reply #80 on: February 12, 2011, 06:04:14 am »

This is his next venture. We found this very clean stock '69 Ghia in a used car lot in Glendale, Ca.
A deal was made & he started making plans for a weber motor & wheels. This was in 1976, he
found a set of 2.0 litre alloys & installed a small motor with 42 DCNF Berg specials. Very good choice
since at the time the DVB clubhouse was 40 miles from his home in Baldwin Park. He made that trip
every week for meetings. The scanned photos of a 110 photo that is 25 years old are not as clear
as the digitals of today, so I apologize. The attention to cleanliness & detail is already evident. This
exercise is actually very therapeutic for me.  Cheesy   
Hecker

« Reply #81 on: February 12, 2011, 06:20:38 am »

In late 76 or early 77 a few of us left the large DVB club & started our own small club Der Selten Kafers
We wanted something a little closer to home & wanted to have a say so on the QUALITY of the cars.
The name means "The Rare Beetles" so we tried to include "old" cars as well as newer cars that were
unique or just clean & required dual carbs. These are a few pics of the oldest car in our club. the first
shows SHUBEE testing the t-bars. This car belongs to Steve Walker -- a 52 vert named OL' RAGU. Note :
the porsche brakes behind those real BRM's ENJOY the OLD SCHOOL. Hey Steve if you're out there you can
provide details on the engine. 
day

« Reply #82 on: February 12, 2011, 12:31:10 pm »

Hello Everyone

I am Garys niece and I am the one putting together the video for Uncle Gary Memorial. Please foward me or Aunt Becky these wonderful photos. debb35day@yahoo.com.

Thank you for wonderful words and stories they are so much heart touching to me and my famiiy.

RIP - Uncle Gary
empi67rag

« Reply #83 on: February 12, 2011, 14:23:18 pm »

Just got back home from holidays to read this.

We never met, but I did buy some things from him lately. He seeems to be a good and correct guy.

Very sad to hear, and condoleances to his family.

And yes, he could send You a couple of emails every day!!

RIP Gary

Kurt.

nlvtinman

« Reply #84 on: February 12, 2011, 18:36:41 pm »

Ron, those are great photos of a couple of Gary's early cars. His Ghia was one of the cleanest...but then, it was almost a new car back then.
As for those of my "Ol Ragu"...I've never seen those pictures before THANKS!
As for a motor, it was straight out of the Gene Berg shop and his thinking. A 1776, heads and manifolds ported by Gene, an Engle 110, 42DCNF's with an 1 5/8 inch merged header. At the time it was what was going on, now it gets called "Old School"

Jon, Ah YES, Patritti Raceway. None of were really thinking back then, but Gary's street was sure narrow. Some of those hard runs he took allof us on...we woudln't be doing that these days, would we?

That we all recall with fondness those who have gone. It's sad, too bad Gary didn't get to see what is being shared about him.

And I know that there are some here on the Lounge that felt no warmth for Gary. Too bad that that had to be, but the world would be rather boring if each of us all saw eye to eye.
jick

« Reply #85 on: February 12, 2011, 22:01:33 pm »

well, i haven't been on here much recently.....cars are a low priority for me at the moment.......but this is really sad news, Gary helped me out with various bits of advice over the last few years via this fantastic forum.

Thankyou Gary!  car guys from all over the globe will miss you.

if there are cars in heaven then please let there also be 48IDA's.

jick

alex d

« Reply #86 on: February 13, 2011, 02:52:58 am »

This is really terrible news, I think Shubee was on of the guys that made the lounge what it is now, my condolences to his family and friends.
Hecker

« Reply #87 on: February 15, 2011, 02:07:42 am »

Just found these...if you ever wondered what he did with BRM's --he had them on the vert for a while.
Hope you like  the way it looked --- way back when in Feb 1981.                 
Diederick/DVK

They're never done till they're sold

« Reply #88 on: February 15, 2011, 15:30:03 pm »

cool photos, keep them coming!!
it's ironic all cars on this page have trim. Smiley

Diederick
 -
Proud member of:
DVK ~ Der Vollgas Kreuzers
Speed-Randy

« Reply #89 on: February 15, 2011, 16:02:18 pm »

That's because even back then, not everybody dechromed their cars, I personally have been doing this since '81 and have owned well over 70 cars and none have been dechromed. My deepest condolences to Garys family, you are never prepared for this

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: