The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 06, 2024, 04:44:35 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350885 Posts in 28608 Topics by 6828 Members
Latest Member: GSW Racing
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  Some appreciation and acknowledgement for some Lounge Cars you may not know of..
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Some appreciation and acknowledgement for some Lounge Cars you may not know of..  (Read 18243 times)
Jim Ratto

« on: February 10, 2011, 21:35:46 pm »

Hey everybody,

I've been a little immersed in personal going-on's for last month or so (our 2nd son was born Jan 12th this year, work's been crazy..etc) so I haven't said much in awhile.

I'd like to start a topic on acknowledging some of our favorite Lounge Cars, maybe some of the examples which aren't the shiniest, or the tru-blue definition of "Cal Look" or you won't see renditions of them on 100 guys' tee shirts @ next Bug In. I kind of consider my car as a "cast iron pan"... meaning, it's got more than its fair share of flaws and blemishes and rough patches, but like a cast iron skillet, it does the job I ask of it, I've owned it forever, and I will probably pass it on when I'm gone. Anyway....

I want to acknowledge some guys and their rides here.... I've probably mentioned these in the past, but here's my formal attempt, (bear in mind, most of these cars I've never seen in person, or met the guys that own them, but thanks to CLF and the Lounge, we've become friends).

Mike "javabug" ... I think it was about 10 yr ago I noticed your green '67 on CLF (?) and we started talking Bugs, kids, life... always thought your car has "the look" down pat... the color, the stance, wheels... etc. Now with 2110 muscle. Mike's "beedol"  Grin

Lawrence P.'s sea foam green sedan.... the more I look at and read bout your car, Lawrence, the more I dig it. I wish I could have been around when you were down last year, at Sarge's..etc. Kudos on driving it down and back

Dave Galassi's Pepco car. Driving this car gives me an idea of what driving a “new” Volkswagen must have been like. It just feels like it was locked away in a vault about 20 minutes after it left the dealer’s lot, aside from all the racket and fury from the blower motor. I still have to say that this car is my favorite VW in So Cal. Not to mention Dave is just the guy with the golden heart and “lets” me come bug him and blab car stuff for 8hr plus.

Ted “Racecraf” his bahama blue ’69 sedan. I don’t think I’ve ever seen Ted without his ’69, everywhere he goes, it seems his car goes too. And it always is so well presented. Like dust and dirt don’t adhere somehow. Always super clean. How do you guys do it?

And three cars that, everytime I’m around them, they take me back to the summers of the early 1990’s, making the pilgrimage from N Calif to Classic, etc…. Kurlinski’s java green ’67, John “Jayburn” Rayburn’s ’64 (with Sprint Stars, Dell 48’s with big stacks, red linkage… ) and Bill Schwimmer’s very well known, iconic coral red car… really it’s the car that re-lit the Cal Look torch for so many guys in last 20+ years… and rightly so. His car kind of “does it all”, and yeah, I know this post is about the lesser, unsung heroes of the scene, but without Bill and his car, how many guys would be screwing cone air filters to Civics instead of keeping the VW thing alive?

johnl

« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2011, 21:53:31 pm »

Good topic Jim.....  I had the pleasure of meeting Mike Javabug a couple of years ago when flying in the Hershey, PA area for Chrysler 300 Meet.  Mike and one of his VW friends (I'm really bad on remember names) made an over the top effort to come to meet me because of my DKP history.  I was honored by their efforts and had a good visit and got to see their cars in person.  Later during the 300 Meet Mike came over and spent some time and we shared each others worlds.  Since then Mike and I are in contact and we even received a Christmas card from then.

Dave G.  I met a few years ago and was blown away by how he treated me and even let me take the Pepco car sporting those AMERICAN's for a drive.  It was definitely a time warp for me going back to about 1964 with my Judson Supercharged car.  I may have to agree that it may very well be the ultimate car in SoCal.  There are many things I could tell you about Dave and what a quality person he is, but then those of you who know him already are aware.  I've been e-mailing with him today.

Bill S.  Is about the most pure guy to go back to the beginnings of the Cal-look theme and he lives the code and needles to say his Coral '58 reflects such.  More than once in the past couple of years Bill has been at my house to bail me out or just come by and see some new addition to our collection.  Bill is a rounded car guy and those are my favorites as he has appreciation for many things.  Just today we had a phone chat based on an e-mail I'd sent yesterday. 

So, I would certainly agree about the cars and your choices Jim, but more-so the folks behind the cars.

Volkswagens Limited, Der Kleiner Panzers Founder Member
Celebrating 60 years of Volkswagens in my life 1963-2023

Life is a learning experience and then you die but when you do you've lived a good life if you contributed to your fellow man.
Jim Ratto

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2011, 21:55:17 pm »

I totally forgot probably the coolest car on the Lounge... cool in the way it thumbs its nose @ the "rule book"... Mike Maize's orange sedan, I've said it before but this car is like a full size replica of some hot rod, friction motored toy VW I had in 1974 or so.... nice job Mike. Hope it's kicking ass.
johnl

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2011, 22:00:07 pm »

I certainly didn't mean to ignore the other names on Jim's list, but I don't think I know a couple of them and Rayburn has not offered a hair donation or transplant procedure yet, so I left him off the list.. Wink Wink

Volkswagens Limited, Der Kleiner Panzers Founder Member
Celebrating 60 years of Volkswagens in my life 1963-2023

Life is a learning experience and then you die but when you do you've lived a good life if you contributed to your fellow man.
bugnut68

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2011, 23:01:05 pm »

I always liked Matt Homer's '68 Bug... did it go overseas?  I remember it got sold,or so I thought?
Frenchy Dehoux

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2011, 23:31:36 pm »

One of the car that impressed me the most few years ago was Geoff Hart Bahama Blue sedan with centerline I think at the time Geoff lived in Lake Havasu.

Frenchy

Doctor Detail ( Retired )
Eric Justus

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2011, 00:29:10 am »

Carlos' sepia brown 65

Eric Justus
HotVWs, SuperVW, Let's Play VW Cal-Look features
Der Kleiner Panzers VW club
Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2011, 00:47:06 am »

I always liked Matt Homer's '68 Bug... did it go overseas?  I remember it got sold,or so I thought?

http://cal-look.no/lounge/index.php/topic,7246.0.html

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
volkskris

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2011, 01:14:33 am »

isn't it a bit dull to talk about some cars and don't post pictures? Roll Eyes Grin
Rennsurfer

D.B.O. Not a club; a state of mind.

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2011, 02:59:20 am »

Excellent thread topic, Jim. And good to see ya positing on here, as well. A rather unfair query, though, as there are so many excellent cars to choose from.

First and foremost, I have to go with Bill Schwimmer's car. Not so much for the obvious choices... but for me, personally. Bill got in D.K.K. after I did and right away, we got along and I think being avid skateboarders sort of helped. But then there's the story and background on that gorgeous car of his. My old roommate and one of my best friends, Joe Aiken, had a beautiful '60 Indian Red Bug with a beige ragtop. Bill always dug on that car's looks and they almost traded their cars (Pepto/Squareback) at one point. I ended up taking Joe to a meeting and he eventually got in the club. To this day, whenever I'm around Bill's car, I just smile. It brings back great memories of Joe's car (they looked a LOT alike) and of course the biggest reason; it's pure 100% VW Cal Look hot rodding at it's very best! I can't help but grin, every time I've ridden in that beauty.

The second car isn't even back on the road as I type this... Rick Meredith's Savannah Beige '67 Bug. Another fellow DEEK, we got voted into the club at around the same time. I think he was in before me, and he thinks I got in before him. It's not important. I dig the fact that the car still wears it's factory Wolfsburg applied 1967 paint. Another cool factor is how he left the car mostly stock, but just a few touches like a dyed headliner, satin blacked out trim, color coded headlight bezels, simple VDO gauge layout in color coded dash panels, etc. really changes the overall vibe and look of the car and it takes on more a clean/simple hot rod appearance. I remember, like it was yesterday, when he told us (the club) that the car was in an accident. We were bummed for him. But I also admire the fact that he decided to keep the car, all of these years. That's true passion for Cal Look, right there. And because of all that, I'm extremely excited for him to see his car back on the road again. He and I have discussed most of the details that he's planned out for it. So let's just say that I can already picture in my mind how RAD this car's gonna be.

Oh, as for pictures... I don't need 'em, for I'm blessed with a photographic memory. If you're a member or lurker on The Lounge, there's a strong chance that you know just about detail on these cars that we all love and enjoy. But feel free to post a few up for those that feel the need.

« Last Edit: February 11, 2011, 03:05:11 am by DKK_Fred » Logged

"You can only scramble an egg so many ways."
~Sarge
Jason Foster

7.69 87mph 12.35 106 mph

« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2011, 03:05:54 am »

Don Metz now Russel Ritchie....

Ted Racecraf Dominguez   '69    (not my picture)

This one's kinda cool....

This one too...

A little Zach action....
« Last Edit: February 12, 2011, 14:52:45 pm by Jason Foster » Logged

STRENGTH THROUGH JOY...........

Der Kleiner Panzers
javabug

WHAT'S UP WID DA BOOM BOOM???

« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2011, 03:18:14 am »

Nice discussion. I'm surprised every time my junk is mentioned here. Thanks for the recognition, the warm fuzzy doesn't go un-enjoyed. As for the car, hopefully this year will see it turn a good corner into becoming a "nicer" car overall. I've got some work planned, let's see how successful I am.

As for other unsung rad rides, one of MY favorite cars is our bud Allen's 57 oval. Pics just don't convey the attitude, it is cool cool cool. It has battle scars because it doesn't get babied. It sits perfect.

I completely agree with including Lawrence's car. Altho I miss the Ercos, I remember noticing it on thesamba.com years ago on a post asking about changing wheels.

Good thread, I'll have more later. My mind is a little blank.

Mike H.

Sven was right.
Bryan67

« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2011, 04:24:57 am »

I like Luke`s (Ideaman) white 67 with Ansen wheels.

If you`re going to do something, do it right.
Matt H

« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2011, 05:20:20 am »

Wow Thanks for the kudus. I miss my old car, everytime I got in it I got a smile when I hit that gas pedal. I tryed real hard to hit that 77-78 era and did the car to reflect that. Like many have said Bill S enthusiasm and passion for these old cars is timeless. Hell we even shared a steak ad chees in Saginaw, Mi a couple summers ago. Obviously the DKP guys set the standars and those crazy DAS guys in Europe also had some bad ass cars.The cars are great, but so are the people in this hobby.
Bill Schwimmer
DKK

« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2011, 06:01:56 am »

Thanks,  Jim, John, Mark & Matt,  I don't quite know what to say.  I have been a car geek since I was about 4 or 5 yo.  It does'nt seem to be slowing down anytime soon. I sometimes want to stray & build something else  ie: a Duece roadster or 356 but I am a VW guy @ heart & want to stick with the cars of my youth.  As for other cars on the Lounge I am pretty much in line with Jim.  When I drove Dave G's ragtop it was the best driving VW I have ever been in   period. Ted's car is very finely detailed & looks just right. I also like Ivan's white 67 & Stephans 57  (I tried very hard to get that car from Jim L. in the late 80's but it was'nt meant to be). Everybody's car on here is bitchen', this place has seemed to capture the essence of the Hot Rod VW spirit.  Thanks again, its an honor to be part of this place.  Bill   

" don't buy upgrades    ride up grades"
    Eddy Merckx
kingsburgphil

« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2011, 06:09:15 am »

Hey Jim, congrats on the little one. I'd shake your hand...except you've probably been changing diapers  Grin.
Dave Galassi

« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2011, 16:34:09 pm »

Let's get something straight.
How about a car and driver that have seen more than their share of quarters (into the 12's), continue to drive over 1000 a month in LA traffic or on roads that are blips on a map, has shoehorned in (not to mention having BUILT these and many others, by himself) more engine and tranny combos than most shops do in a year, has lived to tell more than a few (try a lounge search...........) tales of burnouts, oil, shop stories, friends, pizza deliveries, strips from 'bad to Sacto, stop light bravado and Lucas sitting in the driver's seat making engine sounds.  Doesn't make an impression?  How about driving home from Nor Cal with a broken 48 manifold, running out of gas with your buddy late on a work night and laughing it off, helping out those in need or knowing more about the parts and cars than most will ever dream of.  How about the car and the owner knowing each other since they were  teenagers?  Oh, and still posting complements and living the VW life with a new born, Lucas (three going on 17) and a load of responsibility.

If I thought it would make more of an impact, I would have posted this all in caps.  Jim, thanks.  Some appreciation and acknowledgement, but not enough for all you do. 

{Sound of applause}
« Last Edit: February 11, 2011, 22:50:34 pm by Dave Galassi » Logged
javabug

« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2011, 16:50:11 pm »

Dave is EXACTLY RIGHT. I suddenly realise that very likely one of the main driving factors in me busting my hump to get my hot motor and trans sorted is because of Jim cheering me on from two thousand miles away.

Thank you!

Mike H.

Sven was right.
Diederick/DVK

They're never done till they're sold

« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2011, 17:01:49 pm »

x2

hear hear!

Diederick
 -
Proud member of:
DVK ~ Der Vollgas Kreuzers
Stephan S

« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2011, 18:05:34 pm »

[...] & Stephans 57  (I tried very hard to get that car from Jim L. in the late 80's but it was'nt meant to be). Everybody's car on here is bitchen', this place has seemed to capture the essence of the Hot Rod VW spirit.  [...]

I'm certainly glad you didn't  Wink
Then again, who knows, I might own a nice Coral Red '59 instead of a Pearl White '57?
And I couldn't agree more on that last statement!

Der Kleiner Panzers
Rick Meredith
DKK

We can't force ya to have fun

« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2011, 18:06:15 pm »

Great thread!

I'm honored to have Mark mention my sled in the context of this topic along with all the cars here.

Stay tuned to my "Cocoon" thread. I haven't posted much but my car has moved further forward since the beginning of the year than from 11/83 through the end of 12/10!  Grin

67 Beetle - The Deuce Roadster of Cal Look
Jim Ratto

« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2011, 18:30:10 pm »

Bill, I can't see you as a "line all my tin screws up" 356 guy. Maybe a big 2.6L t4 motor, 48's, etc.

Dave G thanks man, I've kind of learned the car and VW thing is in perpetual motion for me, some people golf, some people collect stamps, I insist on doing things involving going too fast in a VW. You should know, part of this is your fault... you've added hugely to the hobby for me. Thanks Smiley

Fastbrit

Keep smiling...

« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2011, 18:51:30 pm »

I'll second (third, or is it fourth?) what everyone says about Bill and the pink Bug of his.  Wink  He's put me straight a couple of times when I've 'strayed' or nearly strayed. He helped me buy the Chop-Top from Keith Goss, came and stayed at my house, we;'ve drunk a few beers, had many laughs – I even let him win the Berg Rally once. Cool guy – GREAT friend. Thanks Bill.

Der Kleiner Panzers VW Club    
12.56sec street-driven Cal Looker in 1995
9.87sec No Mercy race car in 1994
Seems like a lifetime ago...
javabug

« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2011, 19:03:10 pm »

Texas Tom's car has it: clean, been in the family for years, and goes! I really like the wide-fives on late model treatment.

Mike H.

Sven was right.
Neil Davies

« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2011, 21:44:51 pm »

First, congratulations to Jim and family on your new addition, and then I'm going to second (fifth?) what Dave said about Jim's car!

Another car that I really like on here is Diedericks Java green '67 with black trim - it just looks so right!

2007cc, 48IDFs, street car. 14.45@93 on pump fuel, treads, muffler and fanbelt. October 2017!
Bill Schwimmer
DKK

« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2011, 00:43:47 am »

I agree with with Dave wholeheartedly about Jim R.  He is WAY more energentic than most about working on & driving his stuff. He is somebody that has lived this crazy hobby to its fullest. Congrats on the new addition also Jim.  So are you now considering the To#¤ta or Honda minivan?   (get the To#¤ta)  See ya later  Bill

" don't buy upgrades    ride up grades"
    Eddy Merckx
lawrence

« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2011, 00:49:07 am »

Thanks for the compliment, Jim. It means a lot to me when anyone digs my car because it is more that just that. It represents memories, experiences and fun times. Im sure you and many lounge members can relate to that. My '56 isn't the fastest or shiniest, but it gets driven and has frightened passengers and onlookers. Grin Congrats on the newborn.

Javabug, cheers to you as well. The ercos were cool while they lasted and I still like them. If I were to run a set again, a more traditional look would be necessary. Think deano's blue '67.

The lounge has MANY great cars. A couple of my favorites are: Ben Salazar's 67 and Brian's (from the bay area) fontana gray 67 on porsche alloys. I have always liked Ben's car, but lately I find it even cooler because it always seems to be in photos of socal gatherings. A rad car that gets driven. Likewise, Brian's '67 is super clean and he also made the trek from the bay area to the classic.

"Happiness is a Hot VW!"
Bryan67

« Reply #27 on: February 12, 2011, 06:26:19 am »

I forgot about Brian`s Gray 67. That car is saweet!

If you`re going to do something, do it right.
DKK Ted
DKK

« Reply #28 on: February 12, 2011, 07:12:28 am »

Wow, Thank you, Jim, Jason,and Bill for the appreciation and acknowledgement of my 69'. This really means allot to me coming from you guy's, makes it all worth the work put into it. The lounge has been an inspiration to me with all the cool cars here in the state's and in the UK. There are so many cars I can mention myself, but the ones that come to mind is of course Bill S. car. The first time I seen his car was at the Car Custom Show Down, I think they called it. His car is so perfect, and super clean. The next one would be "Sarge's" Jim's red 67', what more can I say, as many times I have seen his car, I never get tired of seeing it. Just outstanding! Next would be Greg Brentons 67', I remember seen his car at Rimco when he worked there, just loved that car. Another upcoming VW Vert, is DKK Dan, his car is in the works, but still blows me away just on what he's done so far. Can't wait to see this project done. Todd's car is a very clean car, saw his at the Panic, such a cool car. The one car that is very high on my list is "Pep" Jose Medrano black 55', OMG, looked good and was FAST! I could go on and on. To sum it up, all the DKP cars and the DKK cars that have come and gone, and the new projects that have come out, are outstanding. And these are just cars here in the states! I can give you a list of some bad ass cars in the UK, but just to many.
And Jim, congrats on your new addition to the family, I see a pit crew coming!
Anyway, thanks again guy's. This is a very cool thread, theres allot more cars I know, keep'em coming!!  Grin

Ted

VW Classic 2012
DKK Ted
DKK

« Reply #29 on: February 12, 2011, 07:15:07 am »

Oh Jim! To answer your question.....Wax On...Wax Off. Oh..and Windex.   Wink  Cheesy

Ted

VW Classic 2012
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: