The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 13, 2024, 19:20:19 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350827 Posts in 28601 Topics by 6826 Members
Latest Member: Kona@2528
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  which callook trends didn't stand the test of time
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Print
Author Topic: which callook trends didn't stand the test of time  (Read 39437 times)
Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #90 on: April 01, 2011, 19:47:59 pm »

- 1835cc or 2180cc displacements with 10:1 or 11:1 compression. (Yes, I know why!)

Are they ok now with thick wall 92's? Wink

- radios seemed to be more popular back then with cal-look. Cruising around with a nice sound system enhanced your driving pleasure. Made me get more tickets though listening to the old KNAC punk music.  Embarrassed

Nothing wrong with having some tunes! But if it gets into having amps and massive subs, the weight factor takes away from performance.

- different colors were used with Porsche alloys or BRM's etc. Not just black. A lot of times would match the color of the car.

This is something I would like to see come back. Really captures that late 70's look. Especially on alloys.

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
Zach Gomulka

« Reply #91 on: April 01, 2011, 19:54:26 pm »

- rear spoilers like for example the Herrod Helper wasn't that popular. It disrupted the clean and simple lines of the cal-look image, but I sort of liked them. It would be the only spoiler in the cal-look scene that was accepted; if  you wanted one, IMO.

I tried one on the GTV a while back. It did two things: Noticeably raise the oil temperature, and give the impression to EVERY ass clown on the street that I wanted to race them! No more!

Rick Meredith
DKK

We can't force ya to have fun

« Reply #92 on: April 01, 2011, 19:58:28 pm »

- rear spoilers like for example the Herrod Helper wasn't that popular. It disrupted the clean and simple lines of the cal-look image, but I sort of liked them. It would be the only spoiler in the cal-look scene that was accepted; if  you wanted one, IMO.

I tried one on the GTV a while back. It did two things: Noticeably raise the oil temperature, and give the impression to EVERY ass clown on the street that I wanted to race them! No more!

We used to call them Hemorrhoid Helpers!  Grin

67 Beetle - The Deuce Roadster of Cal Look
johnl

« Reply #93 on: April 01, 2011, 20:05:37 pm »

We used to call them Hemorrhoid Helpers!  Grin
  I can't tell you how many of those Auto Haus sold, but it was a lot.  Mr. Herrod use to deliver them to us fresh from his garage and I guess they really did help mileage.

Volkswagens Limited, Der Kleiner Panzers Founder Member
Celebrating 60 years of Volkswagens in my life 1963-2023

Life is a learning experience and then you die but when you do you've lived a good life if you contributed to your fellow man.
LuftsickTero

« Reply #94 on: April 01, 2011, 20:31:57 pm »

With that said, this idea of being sweet and accepting and sunshiny no matter what doesn't work with me. I like hearing what people like and what they don't like.

That's Scandinavia for you Wink Freedom of speech as long as your opinion is fashionable, acceptable and politically correct Grin

All of the custom car trends have details that look silly looking back dozens of years after, also funny that no period correct Cal Looker build today in Europe doesn't have a center console or the "curled wiring" in engine bay Tongue
« Last Edit: April 01, 2011, 20:37:12 pm by LuftsickTero » Logged

| Cal&Resto | Publishing own mediocre Cal Look photos since 1995 in interwebs.
Zach Gomulka

« Reply #95 on: April 01, 2011, 20:38:37 pm »

We used to call them Hemorrhoid Helpers!  Grin
 I can't tell you how many of those Auto Haus sold, but it was a lot.  Mr. Herrod use to deliver them to us fresh from his garage and I guess they really did help mileage.

Not on mine! Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: April 01, 2011, 20:58:43 pm by Zach Gomulka » Logged

low oval
DKK

« Reply #96 on: April 01, 2011, 20:48:39 pm »

With that said, this idea of being sweet and accepting and sunshiny no matter what doesn't work with me. I like hearing what people like and what they don't like.

That's Scandinavia for you Wink Freedom of speech as long as your opinion is fashionable, acceptable and politically correct Grin

All of the custom car trends have details that look silly looking back dozens of years after, also funny that no period correct Cal Looker build today in Europe doesn't have a center console or the "curled wiring" in engine bay Tongue
forgot about the center consoles, uh oh.........

"and that's when the cops showed up"
Jim Ratto

« Reply #97 on: April 01, 2011, 20:56:51 pm »

One could probably divide this poor thread up into a few subtopics. I went and re-read almost all of it (not my long winded dribble) and I noticed the initial post wasn't taking the tone of "which stupid things were done to Cal Look cars in the past", I think I am reading it more as "what trends were evident in past years within the hobby that have gone by the wayside?" Right?
Then there are posts of some things that were popular within certain time sgements, that were not really key at enhancing the performance, etc. A lot of these mods were cheap, inconsequential and easily reversable. There were glam items sold, at least when I was first into this, that capitalized on monkey see, monkey do. I sold a lot of it @ BH for many years (esp @ Pleasanton Bug Bash). The transparent 009 caps come to mind. The SS sleeves that wrapped around the generator does too. I know they caught my eye at the first Bug show I went to.
So I guess what I am saying here, is originally the post (I think) was just wanting to BS about "oh yeah, remember when every car was decambered in the back, ran color matched Rivieras and bronze tint SBG glass?" And then we all had some fun poking and ribbing each other (good natured I hope) about some of the stuff we did, and even some of the "out of style" stuff we still like (I still love turquoise, dechromed cars with chromies and nipple caps, though you can keep the subwoofers and amps and chrome motors.... I'd rather match the paint of the car for the engine tin). We could all dig up pictures of ourselves from 25 yr ago and laugh at those too....no harm done fellas.
And who gives a rats ass about "fitting in"? This hobby is so far out of "mainstream" as it is already. We're all wierdoes. Out of 400 employees here @ work, I've got the one and only air cooled VW Beetle in the lot today. Yeah, in So Cal. When people here hear me get all excited and worked up about my main jets or seeing 7400rpm getting on 118 freeway, they look at me like I just hatched from an egg. "In a Bug? uhhh...ok..ya feel ok JIm?"
TexasTom

12.58@106, 7.89@89 Texas Motorplex 10/18/09

« Reply #98 on: April 01, 2011, 21:03:24 pm »

Everybody's normal till you get to know 'em ... Freak Wink

Work, work, WORK!

Modesty accepted here ...
TexasTom

« Reply #99 on: April 01, 2011, 22:39:11 pm »

Haven't seen a Formuling France steering wheel in quite some time .... seems like everyone goes Empi or stock.

Work, work, WORK!

Black Sheep

less is more

« Reply #100 on: April 01, 2011, 22:53:00 pm »

Fully polished or chromed fuch's and empi's , thank god !!

Stick with what you know works .
13.03 @ 98mph
bugnut68

« Reply #101 on: April 01, 2011, 23:02:55 pm »

Haven't seen a Formuling France steering wheel in quite some time .... seems like everyone goes Empi or stock.

This is where I'm different than a lot of folks, I guess, as I can't stand big ol' steering wheels in a Bug, at least.  I've got long legs and am much more comfortable with a Grant GT or else, my personal favorite Formuling France wheel.
bugnut68

« Reply #102 on: April 01, 2011, 23:05:39 pm »

Again, that's where I'm different.  I think those wheels look way better either polished or chromed... especially on a late-model, in the case of 8 spokes. Grin
TexasTom

« Reply #103 on: April 01, 2011, 23:07:21 pm »

I wonder ... surely Formuling France wheels are not still made?
Surely that was there demise ... I took mine off when the horn button disintigrated. Luckily I had something else to use ...

Work, work, WORK!

Black Sheep

less is more

« Reply #104 on: April 01, 2011, 23:11:33 pm »

Again, that's where I'm different.  I think those wheels look way better either polished or chromed... especially on a late-model, in the case of 8 spokes. Grin

Careful with opinions like that you'll find yourself confined to the resto lounge  Grin
you'll be liking roof racks and pop out rear windows next  Roll Eyes Wink

Stick with what you know works .
13.03 @ 98mph
bugnut68

« Reply #105 on: April 01, 2011, 23:26:51 pm »

Careful with opinions like that you'll find yourself confined to the resto lounge  Grin
you'll be liking roof racks and pop out rear windows next  Roll Eyes Wink

Meh, I don't care... lol.  I'm already something of an outcast owning a late-model VW. Grin 
Rick Meredith
DKK

« Reply #106 on: April 02, 2011, 00:03:04 am »

Never curled wire but I did braid it   Wink

TexasTom

« Reply #107 on: April 02, 2011, 00:16:07 am »

Again, that's where I'm different.  I think those wheels look way better either polished or chromed... especially on a late-model, in the case of 8 spokes. Grin

Careful with opinions like that you'll find yourself confined to the resto lounge  Grin
you'll be liking roof racks and pop out rear windows next  Roll Eyes Wink

Meh, I don't care... lol.  I'm already something of an outcast owning a late-model VW. Grin  

Late models are the new Ovals Wink
They even have their own thread!
LMAO!

Work, work, WORK!

bugnut68

« Reply #108 on: April 02, 2011, 00:29:44 am »

Again, that's where I'm different.  I think those wheels look way better either polished or chromed... especially on a late-model, in the case of 8 spokes. Grin

Careful with opinions like that you'll find yourself confined to the resto lounge  Grin
you'll be liking roof racks and pop out rear windows next  Roll Eyes Wink

Meh, I don't care... lol.  I'm already something of an outcast owning a late-model VW. Grin  

Late models are the new Ovals Wink
They even have their own thread!
LMAO!

Lol, my car isn't Cal Look simply because there's hardly any paint left on it... it's what I would refer to as the 'SSB/Mark Herbert Look.' Grin
low oval
DKK

« Reply #109 on: April 02, 2011, 04:11:24 am »

dang, formuling france wheels also!  I just removed the louvered fire wall as I decided it was too outdated.  My car is a who's who of what didn't last.
Got me thinking,  which cal look trend's that have stood the test of time:
stock side trim, stock steering wheel (always the first thing to go on any of my cars), stock mirrors, over rider bumpers, stock paint colors, stock width front beam, stock dash, stock gauges, dual cans, alloys, uncut dashboards, stock window rubber, big motors, and stock radio's and being not too low, oh yeah and stock lighting.
hmmm......... I don't remember alot of these things being cal look, other than the obvious.
enjoying this topic by the way.
jim
« Last Edit: April 02, 2011, 04:15:01 am by low oval » Logged

"and that's when the cops showed up"
Rennsurfer

D.B.O. Not a club; a state of mind.

« Reply #110 on: April 02, 2011, 04:16:06 am »

After t-bars, the next thing I put on my orange car was a Formuling France wheel. First, with the Porsche horn button, then got over that real quick and switched to a VW one. Loved that wheel. Seemed so right and felt good when driving the car. Next, was a n.o.s. still in the box EMPI GT wheel that I bought from Gary Berg at one of his parties (or our club parties... can't remember) for $50. The last wheel it had was a three spoke Porsche 911 one from the take-off bin when I worked at Circle Porsche+Audi. LOVED that wheel. Perfect size like the VW Formula Vee wheel I'm currently enjoying.

Weird not seeing the Formuling France wheels on more cars, these days. Truly, a great wheel for a Cal Looker.

"You can only scramble an egg so many ways."
~Sarge
Rick Meredith
DKK

« Reply #111 on: April 02, 2011, 06:51:49 am »

I never liked FF wheels... found the hub too big and the horn button too cheap looking. I had a Racemark in my '67 before I put in the Empi

Rennsurfer

D.B.O. Not a club; a state of mind.

« Reply #112 on: April 02, 2011, 07:02:40 am »

I never liked FF wheels... found the hub too big and the horn button too cheap looking. I had a Racemark in my '67 before I put in the Empi

That Racemark wheel was COOL. I didn't find out about those till after I already had my F.F. The wheel that Rhoads had in the green car was very nice, too. Really dug the Wolfsburg horn button.

"You can only scramble an egg so many ways."
~Sarge
nicolas

« Reply #113 on: April 02, 2011, 09:19:57 am »

Right?

right!
Rick Meredith
DKK

« Reply #114 on: April 02, 2011, 17:08:04 pm »

Couldn't find a picture of a Racemark in a VW so I found the next best thing.... A Racemark in a Porsche.

These have the earlier style horn button Mine has the later horn button which was flatter and had a smaller button with a aluminum ring around it. .. oh and of course a Wolfsburg crest in black and chrome. Still have it but I think the leather would need to be redone as it's showing its age. I think it's 15in.

Of course going from this to the much larger Empi was like adding power steering to the car.  Wink

Racemark was started as a partnership with Mark Donohue and is still in business but now specializing in floor mats  Sad

[ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ]

[ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ]

speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #115 on: April 03, 2011, 17:01:58 pm »

is this what you're looking for  Roll Eyes........ Grin.... Wink

http://speedwell55.skynetblogs.be/
oldspeed 61 standard empi/speedwell
Rick Meredith
DKK

« Reply #116 on: April 03, 2011, 17:43:58 pm »

That's the right wheel but I haven't seen that horn button before. I think that maybe something custom as the only ones I've seen have been the earlier one like the one in the picture I posted and the later one which I have.

Edit: Here's a pic I found on The Samba. This is the horn button I have but I have the leather wrapped wheel like in the other pics.

« Last Edit: April 03, 2011, 17:49:53 pm by DKK Rick » Logged

Jon
Administrator

12,3@174km/t at Gardermoen 2008

« Reply #117 on: April 05, 2011, 11:46:55 am »

This was my point, I was being a touch sarcastic Smiley.   

I understand that, but my point was that all the comments in this thread is judgemental.
When it comes to my comment about the A1's I absolutely understand what I did, what I was trying to do was to put the shoe on the other foot.
But it's true, I like my exhausts somewhat hidden... and black...

Grumpy old men have signatures like this.
Luftkraft

You know Gil Gonzales?

« Reply #118 on: April 05, 2011, 16:22:29 pm »

The use of the word "sano" in Hot VWs articles is clearly a cal look trend that didn't stand the test of time.  Smiley

LUFTKRAFT Hopped-Up Vee Dubs since 1998
LOWTECH Traditional Hot Rods and Customs Online

...because stock sucks.
Stripped66

« Reply #119 on: April 06, 2011, 13:36:52 pm »

The use of the word "sano" in Hot VWs articles is clearly a cal look trend that didn't stand the test of time.  Smiley

Too bad crappy writing is still in vogue...
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: