The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 02, 2024, 06:21:46 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350806 Posts in 28595 Topics by 6825 Members
Latest Member: vertvolks
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  Deck Lid Stand-off -- which is better, Top or Bottom
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: Deck Lid Stand-off -- which is better, Top or Bottom  (Read 47642 times)
Fiatdude

« on: May 12, 2011, 05:06:22 am »

I've got one of these that is gonna get covered up -- so there is going to be just a little heat in the engine compartment

Now for the question -- Do I do the old school 2" stand-off at the top or do I do what I've seen a lot of guys doing recently, the 2" at the bottom?HuhHuh??

Which is better/more effecient/better looking/more secure?? inquiring minds would like to know LOL
« Last Edit: May 12, 2011, 05:08:42 am by Fiatdude » Logged

Fiat -- GONE
Ovalholio -- GONE
Ghia -- -- It's going

Get lost for an evening or two -- http://selvedgeyard.com/

Remember, as you travel the highway of life,
For every mile of road, there is 2 miles of ditch
Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2011, 05:11:13 am »

Stock looks best, IMO. Propped both top and bottom would work best. I would start with it propped at the bottom, and try it out. If you need additional cooling, prop it at the top.

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
Stephan S

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2011, 06:11:43 am »

A pretty smart item...
http://www.cagero.com/cartluft/products.asp?id=23310&cat=High%2DTec+Motorhaubenaussteller&search=1
... sorry, it's in German and I don't think the product is available in the U.S.
Great idea though: these hinges slide; so you can either run the decklid close or open at the top. Perfect for the summer (open) or when it rains (close)!

Der Kleiner Panzers
Jason Foster

7.69 87mph 12.35 106 mph

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2011, 06:19:27 am »

I think your best bet for cooling would be to start with running a fan belt

STRENGTH THROUGH JOY...........

Der Kleiner Panzers
Zündfunke

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2011, 09:32:30 am »

Stand off at the top! So you don't have additional heat of the exhaust coming from the bottom.

BURN OUT Syndrom
Zündfunke

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2011, 09:35:32 am »

A pretty smart item...
http://www.cagero.com/cartluft/products.asp?id=23310&cat=High%2DTec+Motorhaubenaussteller&search=1
... sorry, it's in German and I don't think the product is available in the U.S.
Great idea though: these hinges slide; so you can either run the decklid close or open at the top. Perfect for the summer (open) or when it rains (close)!

Anyone got pics how these hinges look installed?

BURN OUT Syndrom
BeetleBug

Snabba grabben...

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2011, 09:57:40 am »

Stand off at the top! So you don't have additional heat of the exhaust coming from the bottom.

I agree, and not to forget all the dust you get inside you engine bay with the lid open at the bottom.

10.41 - 100ci - 1641ccm - 400hp
Lids

show me the chedder

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2011, 11:04:47 am »

A pretty smart item...

Anyone got pics how these hinges look installed?

I am sure Hayden (H67) from the greenhearts either ran or has a pair.

If there's enough horse shit around, there must be a pony!
Buy your ciderberry here.

http://www.thatcherscider.co.uk/
Zündfunke

« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2011, 11:23:33 am »

I was thinking of this a couple of times in the past.
A mechanism to open and close the decklid at the top just in no time.
I eliminated this thought after a while due to the fact it´s kinda tricky with more than one hinge.
And NOW I´m sitting here again with a paper and a pencil to work out something.

Thaks Stephan...*gggrrrrrrr*

BURN OUT Syndrom
Fiatdude

« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2011, 14:33:19 pm »

I think your best bet for cooling would be to start with running a fan belt

How's this

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/JJNaZRlCDPE" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/JJNaZRlCDPE</a>

Fiat -- GONE
Ovalholio -- GONE
Ghia -- -- It's going

carlito421

« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2011, 16:41:06 pm »

A pretty smart item...

that's what I'm searching for!

Thanks Steph.

carlito421

« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2011, 16:44:19 pm »

well... 240€ it's hard. ouch

I think that I'll do a "home made" system...
« Last Edit: May 12, 2011, 16:46:07 pm by carlito421 » Logged

Jim M

« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2011, 17:03:38 pm »

Take a look at these    http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=875711

Porters Precision
Zach Gomulka

« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2011, 17:55:52 pm »

A buddy of mine got a pair of those, JUNK!

glenn

« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2011, 18:21:46 pm »

I get a 10*F drop during August only with the bottom.

Glenn
74 Beetle Specs | 74 Beetle Restoration | 2180cc Engine
"You may not get what you pay for, but you always pay for what you get"

Restored Bosch Cast Iron Distributors

www.DasVolks.com
Long Island's Aircooled Club
Zach Gomulka

« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2011, 20:41:05 pm »

That's interesting, Glenn. On my car I noticed it went up by 10-15 degrees.

Lids

show me the chedder

« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2011, 21:07:29 pm »

But the ball allows one small miracle to take place.
The engine lid can bounce on the latch and flap the hot air away!  Cheesy

If there's enough horse shit around, there must be a pony!
Buy your ciderberry here.

http://www.thatcherscider.co.uk/
gizago

« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2011, 21:53:45 pm »

Stand offs at the top allow more cool air in where the factory intended it, open at the bottom allows hot exhaust air and road crap to get dragged in in my experience.
Zündfunke

« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2011, 22:35:08 pm »

...found a better pic and a mounting-instruction (sorry only german) of the stand offs posted above.

BURN OUT Syndrom
Jesse/DVK

'64 2176cc

« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2011, 22:39:26 pm »

Stand offs at the top allow more cool air in where the factory intended it, open at the bottom allows hot exhaust air and road crap to get dragged in in my experience.

How does hot air get in than while driving?

Der Vollgas Kreuzers
Rennsurfer

D.B.O. Not a club; a state of mind.

« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2011, 23:14:22 pm »

Personally, I've never understood why anyone would want to stand off the top of the 'lid. But, to each their own. If you must do it, slightly stand it off (like Glenn's pic) on the bottom. However... it's your car and you're the one that has to be happy with it.

"You can only scramble an egg so many ways."
~Sarge
Cornpanzer

« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2011, 23:34:23 pm »

Ummmm, in this case, the exhaust is inside the engine compartment.

I hate the top kicked out.  Eventually you get sick of people telling you your engine cover is falling off.

The trick to making the bottom way more effective IMO is to have an air inlet at the front of the motor (firewall side) such as a piece of heater hose ducted through the front tin.  If you can get air into the front, it will create a positive pressure and allow air to duct out through the slightly open lid.  As I recall, John Plow commented on this extensivly years ago on the Cal-Look Lounge.

'67 Turbo Sedan
Ultra VW Contributor
TexasTom

12.58@106, 7.89@89 Texas Motorplex 10/18/09

« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2011, 00:56:31 am »

Personally, I've never understood why anyone would want to stand off the top of the 'lid. But, to each their own. If you must do it, slightly stand it off (like Glenn's pic) on the bottom. However... it's your car and you're the one that has to be happy with it.

Back in the days, we used to run these ... Eventually I just got tired of the look and having to use some implement to prop the decklid open.
The reason we used them was it was the most effective way to evacuate the heat (it rises you know ...) when the vehicle was stopped or parked to keep from vapor locking when taking off again, plain & simple.
TxT

Work, work, WORK!

Modesty accepted here ...
Rennsurfer

« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2011, 01:37:46 am »

Back in the days, we used to run these ... Eventually I just got tired of the look and having to use some implement to prop the decklid open.
The reason we used them was it was the most effective way to evacuate the heat (it rises you know ...) when the vehicle was stopped or parked to keep from vapor locking when taking off again, plain & simple.
TxT

Plain & simple? Still doesn't explain anything. I remember seeing that being done in the seventies and never understood why. If it were effective for something useful, VW's engineers would have most likely done something along those lines. Thankfully... a few people, including Gene Berg, decided to go a more functional route by standing off the bottom, slightly. Plus it's way easier on the eyes and actually serves a purpose.

Again, to each their own.

~Sarge
glenn

« Reply #24 on: May 13, 2011, 01:41:12 am »

But the ball allows one small miracle to take place.
The engine lid can bounce on the latch and flap the hot air away!  Cheesy
You must have a wimpy springs... mine does not move.

Glenn

www.DasVolks.com
Fiatdude

« Reply #25 on: May 13, 2011, 02:08:45 am »

Well, since I have NO tin around the engine plus most of the package tray has been removed BLAH BLAH BLAH -- I just want to get the most cool air movement I can get in the compartment.   I always thought that the air flow over the car would result in more air with the top popped open vs. air trying to sneak throught the bottom

Fiat -- GONE
Ovalholio -- GONE
Ghia -- -- It's going

TexasTom

12.58@106, 7.89@89 Texas Motorplex 10/18/09

« Reply #26 on: May 13, 2011, 02:38:20 am »

TxT

Plain & simple? Still doesn't explain anything. I remember seeing that being done in the seventies and never understood why. If it were effective for something useful, VW's engineers would have most likely done something along those lines. Thankfully... a few people, including Gene Berg, decided to go a more functional route by standing off the bottom, slightly. Plus it's way easier on the eyes and actually serves a purpose.

Again, to each their own.

Duh ...
Dude,
I think you may have a small problem with cognitive reasonoing ...
I suggest a brew ...
Take care,
TxT

Work, work, WORK!

Modesty accepted here ...
Rennsurfer

« Reply #27 on: May 13, 2011, 02:49:28 am »

Duh ...
Dude,
I think you may have a small problem with cognitive reasonoing ...
I suggest a brew ...
Take care,
TxT

HAHA!! Um... if you're joking, Tom, it's pretty funny. If you're not... even funnier. Welcome to the real world. There's a little thing called having our own respective opinions towards everything. I have zero problem(s) with cognitive reasoning (I think that's what you're trying to spell). At any rate, have a fantastic evening and if, in my travels, I decide to enjoy an ice cold barley pop... I shall hold it up in your honor.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2011, 02:51:22 am by DKK_Fred » Logged

~Sarge
neil68

« Reply #28 on: May 13, 2011, 03:00:20 am »

I only prop my deck lid at the top...this allows extra cool air into the engine bay to the dual carbs and the doghouse fan. My engine temps have always dropped whenever using the decklid stand-offs, and I use a "hoodlum" extension (Wolfgang International) to keep the stock decklid spring functioning correctly...no need for screwdrivers or other devices to prop up the lid during engine tune-ups.

One concern I have against propping the bottom, is that a "vacuum" is created which sucks air out of the bottom of the engine compartment under certain driving conditions (not always).  The carbs and fan are trying to draw in cool air and meanwhile air is being sucked out the bottom by high-speed air flow over the outside of decklid.  So, the carbs and fan are trying to pull in air, while it's being sucked out the bottom of the engine bay...a tug of war of sorts.

Neil
Der Kleiner Rennwagens
'68 Beetle, 2332 cc, 204 WHP
12.5 seconds @ 172 KM/H (107.5 MPH)
Dynojet Test:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9B_H3eklAo
glenn

« Reply #29 on: May 13, 2011, 03:07:54 am »

Something to note, I have a late model decklid with 4 rows of vents across. If you have a early car with no vents you might have suction from the bottom where in my car air flows in the vents and out the bottom.

Glenn

www.DasVolks.com
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: