The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 16:22:54 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350697 Posts in 28578 Topics by 6823 Members
Latest Member: Riisager
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Pure racing
| | |-+  Oh yes...
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print
Author Topic: Oh yes...  (Read 30501 times)
tikimadness

« Reply #60 on: June 05, 2011, 16:29:01 pm »

Did `i read it right are both cars coming to the right side of the ocean?

Michael

member of team YAC ; the guys who write history.

GASSER GARAGE  a few friends creating history.

NIDGAFWYT
Jo Clifford

« Reply #61 on: June 05, 2011, 20:52:21 pm »

Did `i read it right are both cars coming to the right side of the ocean?

Michael

No, it's just the new car that's coming over to Europe.

Jo

https://linktr.ee/Redheadautoupholstery?utm_source=linktree_profile_share

http://www.rjvolksperformance.com/

Living the dream, not just talking about it ;o)

"Don't talk, just bring it" - Hector Urias
dannyboy

« Reply #62 on: June 05, 2011, 22:44:52 pm »

is it just going over to ebi or will you be running at shakey/pod ? Smiley

8.77@156.8mph 
O/FF 60
Rick Meredith
DKK

We can't force ya to have fun

« Reply #63 on: June 05, 2011, 23:50:01 pm »

A lot of us were under a "Cone of Silence" out of respect for Richie.... He didn't want a lot of people to know about the build, so we honored his request.

* For those not familiar with the Cone of Silence, please watch old episodes of Get Smart....

It was the Cohen of Silence... named after it's inventor, Dr. Cohen  Grin Grin

67 Beetle - The Deuce Roadster of Cal Look
Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #64 on: June 06, 2011, 02:17:37 am »

Jo, This might be a sore subject, sorry. But ,what is the engine size in the new car?
PM sent   Smiley

Don't be shy, we all want to know Wink

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
Black Sheep

less is more

« Reply #65 on: June 06, 2011, 06:56:18 am »

Jo, This might be a sore subject, sorry. But ,what is the engine size in the new car?
PM sent   Smiley

Don't be shy, we all want to know Wink

X2

Stick with what you know works .
13.03 @ 98mph
Russell

« Reply #66 on: June 06, 2011, 21:25:18 pm »

Why ? we have invested lots of time and money to get to where we are and like all good racers trying for better times its nice to keep some things to ourselves until we get there..... as i said eariler.......

Some people shout from the roof about how fast or how good there new race car is......... then it never performs as expected, where as Richies has worked so hard over the last 10 years perfecting his car and knocking on some really good times, when building his next car he as he did before just worked away with out the song and dance that some folks have..... a secret it was not, public knowledge it wasnt, however Fuckin Fast it is..............

Best Regards

Russell
Zach Gomulka

« Reply #67 on: June 06, 2011, 21:45:01 pm »

Not asking for secrets, just some basic info Wink

Russell

« Reply #68 on: June 06, 2011, 22:08:44 pm »

Basic info....... same as all basic engines.

Crankcase, bearings Crank, pistons, heads and some nice shiney bits and effing bug turbo.

Best Regards

Russell
Zach Gomulka

« Reply #69 on: June 06, 2011, 22:11:48 pm »

Roll Eyes

roland

lates are the new splits...

« Reply #70 on: June 06, 2011, 22:13:02 pm »

indeed Zach.

Glitter don't make you faster.
Adele AW

« Reply #71 on: June 06, 2011, 22:18:24 pm »

Why is an engine size so important to people these days?  Huh

Surely its about the numbers it runs ?
Far too many people these days bothered about HP and sizes and blah blah blah at the end of the day if a motor runs want you want it to, then mission accomplished!
If not, then its back to the drawing board

O/FF 621
Zach Gomulka

« Reply #72 on: June 07, 2011, 00:32:47 am »

Hell, a picture of the motor would tell me a lot. Since the last motor build (that apparently he never ran??), I'm curious to know what heads he went with, and bore x stroke. HP/liter interests me. Always learning, you know. But hey, if keeping us in the dark keeps you guys competitive, keep on keepin on. Wish I coulda seen it before it headed to Europe.

stealth67vw

« Reply #73 on: June 07, 2011, 03:48:49 am »

Surely its about the numbers it runs ?
Far too many people these days bothered about HP and sizes and blah blah blah at the end of the day if a motor runs want you want it to, then mission accomplished!
If not, then its back to the drawing board

Engine size has everything to do with the class rules for the class you intend to race in. Most  organized racing classes have either a max engine size or pounds(kilos) per cc. This was the claim that was alleged against Richie, his car supposedly weighed less than his engine size allowed per the PRA Pro Mod rules.

I personally don't know one way or the other but rules are rules.

John Bates
JB Machining Services
1967 street bug 2020lbs w/driver
12.34 @ 108 mph 1/4
7.76 @ 89mph 1/8
AntLockyer

« Reply #74 on: June 07, 2011, 09:18:09 am »

I must admit I'm curious. Curious because I really like reading about new cars, I enjoy spec sheets, build threads and the general sharing of things that the VW community seems to thrive on. I'll wait for it to appear in a magazine I guess just like the olden days.

12.618 @ 104.87mph
Trond Dahl
Administrator

« Reply #75 on: June 07, 2011, 09:42:52 am »

let's not mix this with another forum. As far as I can see no accusations has been made, so I don't understand why some are so defensive, when people are just curious?

I'm curious about details on both the car and the engine, but now I am afraid to ask Undecided

Street car 10.67/206kmt@Kjula 2014
Race car 9.49/236kmt@SCC 2017

SteveW

« Reply #76 on: June 07, 2011, 11:06:41 am »

Trond I agree, I love reading build up threads etc but now you can't ignore what has happened regardless if it was somewhere else so there's every reason to be defensive. Russell's post was great about not shouting from the roof 'look at me' etc the car was never a 'secret' it just wasn't made public. Why not? It's only like a show car being built to be debuted to an unsuspecting audience! Now with me I'd be pissed to the point like this where why should I tell everyone any info? This is meant to be a hobby sport and be enjoyable but some people take things way too seriously and get far too personal.

Steve
1961 Oldspeed Beetle
1970 Stock Beetle.
Trond Dahl
Administrator

« Reply #77 on: June 07, 2011, 12:06:56 pm »

Trond I agree, I love reading build up threads etc but now you can't ignore what has happened regardless if it was somewhere else so there's every reason to be defensive. Russell's post was great about not shouting from the roof 'look at me' etc the car was never a 'secret' it just wasn't made public. Why not? It's only like a show car being built to be debuted to an unsuspecting audience! Now with me I'd be pissed to the point like this where why should I tell everyone any info? This is meant to be a hobby sport and be enjoyable but some people take things way too seriously and get far too personal.

I get that Steve, and I fully understand, and respect that Richie, Russell etc wanted to keep it a secret (or not making it public, as some say).

My point was only that we should be able to discuss the car, now that the debut is done with, without bringing the BOR thing into it. I see that it has progressed a bit too far in my opinion with the pictures etc. on UAC. I'm not ignoring the fact, I am just hoping we can write here without mixing genuine interst with discussions surrounding the BOR event. I think it's sad if that is not possible.

SteveW

« Reply #78 on: June 07, 2011, 12:16:33 pm »

I get that Steve, and I fully understand, and respect that Richie, Russell etc wanted to keep it a secret (or not making it public, as some say).

My point was only that we should be able to discuss the car, now that the debut is done with, without bringing the BOR thing into it. I see that it has progressed a bit too far in my opinion with the pictures etc. on UAC. I'm not ignoring the fact, I am just hoping we can write here without mixing genuine interst with discussions surrounding the BOR event. I think it's sad if that is not possible.

I think we'd all like that but I think it will be hard to do, people read both forums and seem to be just digging on both. Hiding behind usernames and sending PM's is also going on from here too..

It's a shame as it's a badass car regardless of anything.

Steve
1961 Oldspeed Beetle
1970 Stock Beetle.
Trond Dahl
Administrator

« Reply #79 on: June 07, 2011, 12:22:21 pm »

I think we'd all like that but I think it will be hard to do, people read both forums and seem to be just digging on both. Hiding behind usernames and sending PM's is also going on from here too..

True,
I guess I just have to wait until I see it live before I can enjoy the details.

Big Power

« Reply #80 on: June 07, 2011, 16:06:55 pm »

Steve, I have total respect for you and Adelle. Since I race in Pro Mod, I will give you my feelings on this subject. Pro Mod is an extremely exspensive class to run in. The guys who race in it are there to win, plain and simple. It is not an exhibition race, it's a hard core, big horsepower class that is taken very seriously. Some of the competetors spend countless hours and incredible amounts of money testing and staying within the rules. If there is suspect of a car and driver not meeting the rules, it is taken very seriously. It's not a "get over it and move on" situation. There are people in Pro Mod extremely upset over this. In my opinion, it's not so much as Richie being underweight but it is his lack of discloser that is keeping the fire burning. I love the new car and it was great to see it at the track. It really is too bad this had to happen. I hope for Richie it all works out but I do not see it going away any time soon. Hopefully everything will work out and we will see Richie and Jo at another event over here. BTW, It was great having Jo in Pro gas this year. She is a very classy lady.
SteveW

« Reply #81 on: June 07, 2011, 16:36:41 pm »

Thanks for the polite reply Pat, I totally appreciate where you are coming from and as an active pro mod racer yourself I wouldn't question you wanting to know, my point on here is people with no actual 'interest', they are not pro mod racers so why get so personal? All this stuff on the forums is like being in kindergarten school. The way I understand it, a protest should have gone in straight away while still racing not after. This is how it's done in the FIA rounds here and I suspect the NHRA too. Like I say I appreciate people have pumped thousands into their race program, we have too, but I just don't believe it needs to get this personal and bitching about it on forums calling each other names etc.

Steve
1961 Oldspeed Beetle
1970 Stock Beetle.
Adele AW

« Reply #82 on: June 07, 2011, 17:03:30 pm »

Just a brief note on here. Will the person who sent me a PM this morning or anyone else who wishes to on this subject, include your fucking name next time!! Coward!!

O/FF 621
Martin Greaves

10.88@128.58

« Reply #83 on: June 07, 2011, 18:30:16 pm »

Kindergarten school is that like i'm not going to be your friend any more. Because you been talking to someone i don't like. Shocked Roll Eyes

Hahaha your killing me.........
Big Power

« Reply #84 on: June 07, 2011, 19:37:35 pm »

Thanks for the polite reply Pat, I totally appreciate where you are coming from and as an active pro mod racer yourself I wouldn't question you wanting to know, my point on here is people with no actual 'interest', they are not pro mod racers so why get so personal? All this stuff on the forums is like being in kindergarten school. The way I understand it, a protest should have gone in straight away while still racing not after. This is how it's done in the FIA rounds here and I suspect the NHRA too. Like I say I appreciate people have pumped thousands into their race program, we have too, but I just don't believe it needs to get this personal and bitching about it on forums calling each other names etc.
In the PRA, a protest can be made during a race or after the race is over from what I understand. I had an issue last year after a race. I was told I could protest but I declined, not wanting to cause any grief on anyone. It's not a drivers responsibility to wait around for the PRA to pump your engine. But, knowing that you are being protested or knowing there is a possible chance you could be protested and you don't wait around or find a PRA tech official, be prepared for stuff like this to happen and deal with the consequences.
Udo

« Reply #85 on: June 07, 2011, 20:03:23 pm »

Steve, I have total respect for you and Adelle. Since I race in Pro Mod, I will give you my feelings on this subject. Pro Mod is an extremely exspensive class to run in. The guys who race in it are there to win, plain and simple. It is not an exhibition race, it's a hard core, big horsepower class that is taken very seriously. Some of the competetors spend countless hours and incredible amounts of money testing and staying within the rules. If there is suspect of a car and driver not meeting the rules, it is taken very seriously. It's not a "get over it and move on" situation. There are people in Pro Mod extremely upset over this. In my opinion, it's not so much as Richie being underweight but it is his lack of discloser that is keeping the fire burning. I love the new car and it was great to see it at the track. It really is too bad this had to happen. I hope for Richie it all works out but I do not see it going away any time soon. Hopefully everything will work out and we will see Richie and Jo at another event over here. BTW, It was great having Jo in Pro gas this year. She is a very classy lady.

Hi Pat

I think you need some more pro stock cars to split the class into pro turbo and pro stock like it was in the past  Smiley

Udo

jamiep_jamiep

« Reply #86 on: June 07, 2011, 20:28:57 pm »

Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

man this thread started out like it was going to be interesting... an exciting new car running some exciting times.

I just don't get the whole 'secrecy' (yes, I think I'd describe all of the above as secretive, not just 'not shouting from the rooftops') bullshit. I can understand in the competitive world information being held back, although I'm sure I've read other cars engine specs on forums/in write ups etc. before with the owners just being stoked that someone likes their car enough to be curious.

Having said that, and ignoring the happenings on the 'other' forum for a minute, it would have been nice for us all to have been able to participate and share a little information for those people who are genuinely interested, not out of any malice, but just out of love for the hobby. You know, like people who are fired up by something they love that they all have in common. As it is it just seems like the kid in the playground who wouldn't let anyone else take a peak ay his toys....

Shame, like I said, this could have been a good read for those genuinely interested in our hobby.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2011, 22:35:40 pm by kaferboy » Logged

Black Sheep

less is more

« Reply #87 on: June 07, 2011, 22:20:50 pm »

Bloody hell , who set the touch paper on this one ?
A lot of passion's have been ignited here , initially is was pleased to see this car out and putting some good time's in .
 Richie always puts on a good show and i will look forward to seeing run , but he does seem to have put a few nose's out of joint along the way with this car .

Stick with what you know works .
13.03 @ 98mph
Fasterbrit

OFF#23 - The Fastest Outlaw in the West!

« Reply #88 on: June 07, 2011, 23:09:21 pm »

I am not sure about the engine cc, but Mr T here was called in to fit the turbo...

9.563 @ 146.25 mph Cal Look Drag Day, Santa Pod, April 2011
OFF#23 OUTLAW FLAT FOUR www.outlawflatfour.com
www.air-kraft.com
www.marcomansiperformance.com
Adele AW

« Reply #89 on: June 07, 2011, 23:18:22 pm »

Bloody hell , who set the touch paper on this one ?
A lot of passion's have been ignited here , initially is was pleased to see this car out and putting some good time's in .
 Richie always puts on a good show and i will look forward to seeing run , but he does seem to have put a few nose's out of joint along the way with this car .

Glen, did you know about the car beforehand with you saying that is was Team Gasser Garage and that you were wondering when the pics of it would break? Just wondering where you heard from that  it was being developed?

Adele

O/FF 621
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: