The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 01, 2024, 17:31:34 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350869 Posts in 28606 Topics by 6828 Members
Latest Member: GSW Racing
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  BRAIN FART, I need your guys help!
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: BRAIN FART, I need your guys help!  (Read 6861 times)
65bug

« on: May 25, 2011, 23:36:24 pm »

Hey guys,
       Alright! I am assembling the dog house fan shroud. I cannot remember: Does this slot go on top or bottom? And what its purpose? Just to vent heat off the alternator? Looked in the VW service manual and another tech manual. No info! Please see pic of slot. I think it could go on top or bottom.

Thanks! Wink
Kaferdog
DKK

« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2011, 23:40:55 pm »

Bottom........!

"I am on a drug, it's called 'Volkswagen.' It's not available 'cause if you try it once you will die. Your face will melt off, and children will weep over your exploded body."
65bug

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2011, 23:50:10 pm »

kaferdog,
      LOL. I am not going to question it! Thanks Wink Whats the slot for?

Thanks! Wink
Tony M

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2011, 23:52:02 pm »

Cooling the unit.  Wink

Life is too fast to drive a slow VW
65bug

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2011, 23:58:56 pm »

Thanks guys! Ok, next question: THE NUT THAT HOLDS THE FAN ONTO THE ALTERNATOR. How many shims or washers go between the fan itself and the alternator. W/ none, y fan rubs on the alternator back itself Roll Eyes
DKK Ted
DKK

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2011, 00:55:38 am »

Bottom, also the shims is to keep the fan more less in the middle without rubbing, if it rubs, you shim accordingly. Pretty simple.           Ted

VW Classic 2012
65bug

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2011, 01:12:18 am »

Thanks Ted! I have studied and read that there should be NO MORE then 4 mm from the fan edge to the shroud opening! Any more and you are losing valuable cooling air. It escapes right through the opening all around the fan!
   I have the wider fan, but still am at 5 mm??? Seems one shim may do it and get me centered correctly. I will try one and see how it goes. Here is my gap with two washers! Just not alot of thread for my nut to screw down onto!
    What do you think of these pics showing my nut on the threads and my gap? I used two 1.5 mm shims. This shrinks my gap to just under 2mm!
65bug

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2011, 01:28:02 am »

Here's the fan/shroud gap! Also a few threads left on the untightened nut!
Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2011, 02:19:05 am »

The closer the better, just make sure you've got enough threads on there. Don't wanna strip that one!

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
65bug

« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2011, 04:35:57 am »

Thanks Zach! I got it on pretty good now and got the shroud on. It's coming along nicely. I am slower this time, but more precise on the little things on the outside of the motor! My motor ran really cool last time. It should be even better this time Wink
DKK Ted
DKK

« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2011, 06:37:44 am »

Thanks Ted! I have studied and read that there should be NO MORE then 4 mm from the fan edge to the shroud opening! Any more and you are losing valuable cooling air. It escapes right through the opening all around the fan!
   I have the wider fan, but still am at 5 mm??? Seems one shim may do it and get me centered correctly. I will try one and see how it goes. Here is my gap with two washers! Just not alot of thread for my nut to screw down onto!
    What do you think of these pics showing my nut on the threads and my gap? I used two 1.5 mm shims. This shrinks my gap to just under 2mm!
Once you tighten up the nut, you should be ok. The washer is wavey, that takes up threads. As long as it does not rub, the closer the better.

Ted

VW Classic 2012
Kaferdog
DKK

« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2011, 11:21:58 am »

LOL...Brain farts happen all the time ..!!...No worries !... Wink
« Last Edit: May 26, 2011, 17:14:47 pm by Kaferdog » Logged

"I am on a drug, it's called 'Volkswagen.' It's not available 'cause if you try it once you will die. Your face will melt off, and children will weep over your exploded body."
65bug

« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2011, 15:30:23 pm »

Good Morning,

Thanks Ted! I went back to one washer. With two washers, it provided little room for the wavy washer to sit down far enough on it's oblong(i guess thats the shape) surface. At least I felt uncomfortable with the way it set.
               It looks good now. I have fitted the shroud now a few times and it all looks pretty good. I used all German tin this time, and it does indeed seem to fit closer. I also purchases rebuilt and powdercoated air vents that I think I am going to just wire in the open position. It does not get really cold here in So. California. So I am still on the fence as to hooking up a thermostat to them.
              Thank again!

65bug

« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2011, 15:32:19 pm »

kaferdog,
       Yea, alot of this stuff slips my mind. I have a extremely busy schedual. So I need a little help here and there Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Grin

Thanks Cool
Kaferdog
DKK

« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2011, 17:19:17 pm »

Good Morning,

I used all German tin this time, and it does indeed seem to fit closer.    
....Awwww "German Tin"...I love the sound of that..!...I used "All German tin"..fit like a glove..!!

Tony M

« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2011, 18:33:12 pm »

Forget the thermostat - wire open the flaps - better flow over the cylinders with the flaps -

Life is too fast to drive a slow VW
bugnut68

« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2011, 19:41:22 pm »

I think I read in the Bentley manual the minimum clearance between the fan and the backing plate is .080"... may have to adjust shim stack to fit the fan shroud too, I had to do that in order to avoid rubbing my JSE Racing fan on the inside of my Scat doghouse shroud.
65bug

« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2011, 19:46:17 pm »

Thanks Race Head! Do you think the sprind is good enough to hold my flaps open??? I will crimp the end down so it cannot pop off. I suppose I could use some wire too for a safety measure???
bugnut68

« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2011, 20:11:40 pm »

Thanks Race Head! Do you think the sprind is good enough to hold my flaps open??? I will crimp the end down so it cannot pop off. I suppose I could use some wire too for a safety measure???

That's how I kept the flaps open on my 1776 before... never had any issues.
65bug

« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2011, 20:40:42 pm »

Thanks bugnut! Yes, seems like it will work well! I realized I have one piece of Taiwan cooling tin! The rear triangle piece that bolts to the back of the shroud right after the cooler. Hmmm, seems to be a ok fit, but I am wondering if the bottom is ok on it. Let me post a picture. Seems the bottom of the cooler is wide open to let a bit of air back into the engine compartment. I wonder if this is normal???
65bug

« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2011, 20:47:51 pm »

Here's a few pics of the bottom of the new VW cooler though the shrouding. Is that ok that it's not covered like that? It seems like some air will escape right back into the engine compartment Huh Huh Huh Just want to be sure!
cel

« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2011, 22:23:33 pm »

Hi!
Could it be that you miss this little piece:  Huh

http://www.kaeferklein.de/shop/themes/kategorie/detail.php?artikelid=265&source=2

nice greetings
marcel
65bug

« Reply #22 on: May 26, 2011, 22:58:20 pm »

Hi Cel,
       Thanks! I have one on there! This is on the opposite end. There is a tab coming off the triangular tin piece after the oil cooler on the bottom. It was not even close! I had to take it back apart and readjust, readjust, readjust Huh Roll Eyes! Then add a piece of foam to it as well. I am good now.
       I finished up the rear and noticed my front pulleys did not look lined up properly. Roll Eyes I looked under the alternator and there is a gap where it could be slid back further. Looked ok, but I could just see me throwing a belt because the alignment was off!
       Loosened it all up but could not get the alternator slid back any further! I found a solution! It may be redneck, but it worked and gave me time to tighten my alternator strap back down!
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: