The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 13:18:44 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350680 Posts in 28573 Topics by 6819 Members
Latest Member: Umanisti
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  Berg traction bar tips
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print
Author Topic: Berg traction bar tips  (Read 46691 times)
javabug

WHAT'S UP WID DA BOOM BOOM???

« Reply #60 on: June 21, 2011, 17:31:14 pm »

I like your thinking.

Mike H.

Sven was right.
Lids

show me the chedder

« Reply #61 on: June 21, 2011, 19:25:45 pm »

The only possible problem with this is that you have now created a lever that could rip the bolts out.

If you kept the original design the rod acted vertically through the bolts thus no distance from direction of force, hence no moment and no lever.

If there's enough horse shit around, there must be a pony!
Buy your ciderberry here.

http://www.thatcherscider.co.uk/
Fiatdude

« Reply #62 on: June 21, 2011, 19:52:58 pm »

Yep -- those brackets need to installed vertically

Fiat -- GONE
Ovalholio -- GONE
Ghia -- -- It's going

Get lost for an evening or two -- http://selvedgeyard.com/

Remember, as you travel the highway of life,
For every mile of road, there is 2 miles of ditch
JS

« Reply #63 on: June 21, 2011, 20:51:52 pm »

Agreed, the bracket could also twist...

Signature.
65bug

« Reply #64 on: June 21, 2011, 21:07:47 pm »

Guys,
     You mean to tell me people have been mounting their traction bar off on hole(the stock factory one) with no brackets at all. And it's held for years!!!! I'll be the first to admit it if they ever move. For now, I will be known as THE GUY WITH THE HORIZONTAL TRACTION BAR MOUNTS...................... Cheesy Wink
RhoadsVW

« Reply #65 on: June 21, 2011, 21:18:22 pm »

It won't move or do anything but work.  I had mine that way except underneath the bumper bracing using the stock hole that's there.  And I had only one bolt holding mine on with the bracket wedged against the bumper bracing.  And you also have it into the double thickness of the sheet metal.  Looks good.  You shouldn't have any problems.   Dave Rholads

Der Renwagen Fuhrers
65bug

« Reply #66 on: June 21, 2011, 21:21:55 pm »

Thank you Dave Roads! I do not understand how it could be a "Lever" as it's resting on the entire bumper bracket. With two bolts through it. It's dispersing the load ALL OVER THE PLACE......................................
danny gabbard

gabfab

« Reply #67 on: June 21, 2011, 22:25:18 pm »

If worried, Make a doubler plate for back side. Plus your going through two layer's of sheetmetal rather than the single one if mounted  vertical.

A poor craftsman, Blame's it on poor tools.  GAB-FAB shop # 775 246-3069
Lids

show me the chedder

« Reply #68 on: June 22, 2011, 06:10:58 am »

Thank you Dave Roads! I do not understand how it could be a "Lever" as it's resting on the entire bumper bracket. With two bolts through it. It's dispersing the load ALL OVER THE PLACE......................................

I never said it would be a problem, just that it might.  It is a leaver as the direction of force is not acting through the centre of the mounting position, so the when the engine pushes down on launch the threaded bolt will pull down on the bracket just like a door handle.  The fact it is supported by the bracket doesn't change this fact, but the bracket probably helps by having a higher shear force than the downward force and hence will stay there.

If there's enough horse shit around, there must be a pony!
Buy your ciderberry here.

http://www.thatcherscider.co.uk/
Kaferdog
DKK

« Reply #69 on: June 22, 2011, 07:04:24 am »

How are the bolts on the other side ...?...any pics...?

"I am on a drug, it's called 'Volkswagen.' It's not available 'cause if you try it once you will die. Your face will melt off, and children will weep over your exploded body."
BeetleBug

Snabba grabben...

« Reply #70 on: June 22, 2011, 08:55:25 am »

3 pages of replies just for mounting a traction bar. Did anyone of you take a good look at the SCC 2009 video where Skinne takes you on a guided tour under his 8.60 - 165 mph street car? For those of you that have not had the chance to watch the video you would have noticed that he removed the two frame/pan forks and mounts the entire engine + Porsche G50 gearbox using only the front (nose) mount in addition to a homemade rear mount to the inner fenders of his oval. That`s it.

I`m using the single hole mentioned earlier in this thread after some small modifications to the two bent arms and it works. There is absolutely no signs of wear or tear to the hole and no wheel vibrations. You do not put a lot of tension to the bar, it is not there to support the engine, only to prevent it moving down when you drop the clutch at 7000+ rpms. A silly test.. put your foot on your fatboy exhaust and put some weight on it. Does the engine move? Yes and you have a problem when you`re going to do a proper launch.

A better solution would be to copy Skinne without removing the frame/pan forks using a homemade t2 style bar bolted to the engine case and then to your inner fenders using the bumper mounts if they are rust free.

[ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ]

[ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ]

-BB-

10.41 - 100ci - 1641ccm - 400hp
65bug

« Reply #71 on: June 22, 2011, 14:07:35 pm »

beetlebug,
         hmmmmmm, that custom job is mounted very similar to mine. Another lever?. I am putting out about 200 HP. I honestly do not think it will be a problem. When I lined my bracket up vertically, it did not sit flat. Second, it did not lay on the bumper ledge at all. Not even close. Third, it would have only been bolted through a single piece of sheet metal. Fourth, I did not want to have to drill through my engine compartment. That would have bothered me. So this was MY solution. Dave Rhoads verified it, as it was his solution too.

Kaferdog,
      Just regular nuts on the other ends with flat washers then lock washers.

Danny,
       No worries here. Thanks

BeetleBug

Snabba grabben...

« Reply #72 on: June 22, 2011, 14:20:29 pm »

Not sure why you feel like you have to answer me that way as I`m sure you`re solution will work. I have twice the power you have and it works for me with my single, original hole kinda thing  Smiley

beetlebug,
         hmmmmmm, that custom job is mounted very similar to mine. Another lever?. I am putting out about 200 HP. I honestly do not think it will be a problem. When I lined my bracket up vertically, it did not sit flat. Second, it did not lay on the bumper ledge at all. Not even close. Third, it would have only been bolted through a single piece of sheet metal. Fourth, I did not want to have to drill through my engine compartment. That would have bothered me. So this was MY solution. Dave Rhoads verified it, as it was his solution too.

Kaferdog,

Danny,
       No worries here. Thanks

Rennsurfer

D.B.O. Not a club; a state of mind.

« Reply #73 on: June 22, 2011, 14:34:53 pm »

Great post, BeetleBug and really like the looks of that traction bar.

"You can only scramble an egg so many ways."
~Sarge
Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #74 on: June 22, 2011, 14:43:20 pm »

I do like the fact that the hardware isn't showing in the engine compartment Smiley

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
Diederick/DVK

They're never done till they're sold

« Reply #75 on: June 22, 2011, 14:52:06 pm »

Kalle, are you trying to plug the SCC videos in this topic?

Wink

Diederick
 -
Proud member of:
DVK ~ Der Vollgas Kreuzers
BeetleBug

Snabba grabben...

« Reply #76 on: June 22, 2011, 14:57:35 pm »

Dam..was it so obvious  Smiley

Kalle, are you trying to plug the SCC videos in this topic?

Wink

Fiatdude

« Reply #77 on: June 22, 2011, 15:50:01 pm »

The thought and workmanship in both of those brackets is fantastic

I know for a lot of you guys we are not talking about huge HP/Torque engines, but let me try to explain explain why Horizontal mounting is not as good as vertical mounting. The most important force involved here is the shearing at where the bolts are located, this will cause, in severe situations, damage to either the bolts or the sheet metal supporting/anchoring the bolts.

When the bracket is mounted up & down/vertically you have the downward force being placed equally on both bolts. with both bolts sharing the load.

But when the bracket is mounted horizontally you end up with a twisting force being placed onto the bracket and the bolt in the middle of the bracket then absorbing MOST of the downward energy and the other bolt acting more as a fulcrum than an anchor. -- If you doubt me, loosen up the bolts on the bracket until the bracket is just barely attached then pull down on the bar. you will even probably see the bar at end where it is bolted get twisted upward. This is because of some of the energy is transmitted to that bolt while the bolt in the middle is being the fulcrum. In any case, the forces being exerted on the middle bolt are multiplied greatly in the horizontal mounting.

But this argument is mute it your not generating enough energy onto that bracket to cause any damage., or you've built a bracket that is designed at overkill.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2011, 16:12:30 pm by Fiatdude » Logged

Fiat -- GONE
Ovalholio -- GONE
Ghia -- -- It's going

Kaferdog
DKK

« Reply #78 on: June 22, 2011, 17:33:05 pm »

Kaferdog,

I guess what I was trying to say was ......Where do they "show" on the ""Other side".....Any pics ?
« Last Edit: June 22, 2011, 17:36:04 pm by Kaferdog » Logged

"I am on a drug, it's called 'Volkswagen.' It's not available 'cause if you try it once you will die. Your face will melt off, and children will weep over your exploded body."
cassa

« Reply #79 on: June 22, 2011, 20:16:53 pm »

3 pages of replies just for mounting a traction bar. Did anyone of you take a good look at the SCC 2009 video where Skinne takes you on a guided tour under his 8.60 - 165 mph street car? For those of you that have not had the chance to watch the video you would have noticed that he removed the two frame/pan forks and mounts the entire engine + Porsche G50 gearbox using only the front (nose) mount in addition to a homemade rear mount to the inner fenders of his oval. That`s it.

I`m using the single hole mentioned earlier in this thread after some small modifications to the two bent arms and it works. There is absolutely no signs of wear or tear to the hole and no wheel vibrations. You do not put a lot of tension to the bar, it is not there to support the engine, only to prevent it moving down when you drop the clutch at 7000+ rpms. A silly test.. put your foot on your fatboy exhaust and put some weight on it. Does the engine move? Yes and you have a problem when you`re going to do a proper launch.

A better solution would be to copy Skinne without removing the frame/pan forks using a homemade t2 style bar bolted to the engine case and then to your inner fenders using the bumper mounts if they are rust free.

-BB-

I have mocked up a similar traktion bar for my 67. I dont have room for a CSP bar, and dont know if it will do the job.
I use 40x20mm bar with brackets in the bumper bracket. Brackets in picture only for mock-up

reg
c
65bug

« Reply #80 on: June 23, 2011, 05:00:22 am »

beetlebug,
       That reply about the lever was not directed at you. Wink And I know there's not enough force to even phase it. That's why I felt it was a viable alternative and mounted it that way. IT also rests flatter against the panel that way vs. vertically. I would be more concerned with the body taking a hit then anything. And It's double walled there where I drilled.
       I understand what you guys are saying about the pivot effect. However, the right side of the bolt closest to the tab is laying up against the bumper support. And the left side of the right bolt.............................well HAS ANOTHER BOLT IN IT. So it's held down on both ends. I dont think it's ever going anywhere. So really there is no pivot effect. It's been eliminated.
       There is more stress concentrated in one area now for sure. But I think it's still overkill and should work fine.
      Kaferdog, I will get a pic for you as soon as I can. I worked about 14 hours today. I can tell you it's a small area in there where they fit. Directly below the shelf in the engine bay. I will have to crawl up under the car to get you a pic.
       Glad to see beetle bugs pics of that NICE CUSTOM set up is mounted similar to mine.................... Grin

Bruce

« Reply #81 on: June 23, 2011, 05:15:42 am »

The most important force involved here is the shearing at where the bolts are located, this will cause, in severe situations, damage to either the bolts or the sheet metal supporting/anchoring the bolts.
This isn't the case.  Except for a few specialized bolts, there aren't any bolts that are in shear on a car.
The bracket that's being talked about with the 2 bolts stays put due to the large amount of friction between the bracket and the body of the car.  This friction is created due to the tension in the bolts.  In order for those bolts to be in shear, the bracket would have to slip due to the applied load until the bracket contacts the bolts.  Anytime you have a bracket that slips, you either don't have the bolts tight enough, or they're too small.
Jon
Administrator

12,3@174km/t at Gardermoen 2008

« Reply #82 on: June 23, 2011, 10:15:44 am »

Except for a few specialized bolts, there aren't any bolts that are in shear on a car.

There is a nugget of gold in any thread.

About the hanging of a engine/gearbox unit.
Ever tried to break something like a twig or a board of wood in two? If you use only your hands you will have a tough time doing it, introduce your knee into the task and you do it without problems.
Meaning more supports are not necessarily good if they are placed wrong.

Rumor: You can tell how much power a car fitted with a Berg traction has by measuring the gap of the engine lid?

Grumpy old men have signatures like this.
early-air

« Reply #83 on: June 25, 2011, 12:08:10 pm »

will the traction bar work on a ghia? or will it distort the body? any views on this?

JG54 greenhearts
Lee.C

I might be an Idiot but I'm not an Arsehole!

« Reply #84 on: June 25, 2011, 15:18:34 pm »

Except for a few specialized bolts, there aren't any bolts that are in shear on a car.

There is a nugget of gold in any thread.

About the hanging of a engine/gearbox unit.
Ever tried to break something like a twig or a board of wood in two? If you use only your hands you will have a tough time doing it, introduce your knee into the task and you do it without problems.
Meaning more supports are not necessarily good if they are placed wrong.

Rumor: You can tell how much power a car fitted with a Berg traction has by measuring the gap of the engine lid?

[/q

hehehehehhhehehehehee Wink

You either "Get It" or you don't......
65bug

« Reply #85 on: June 25, 2011, 23:40:59 pm »

early-air,
       Call Gene Berg. I can bet they have a traction bar for your Ghia! They are heavy duty and mine is making a huge difference! You could of course make your own. Does not seem to be too big a deal.       BRUCE TWEDDLE GETS MY VOTE FOR NEW CAL LOOK LOUNGE MODERATOR Wink Thank you Bruce!
Fiatdude

« Reply #86 on: June 26, 2011, 04:36:49 am »

-BB-

I have mocked up a similar traktion bar for my 67. I dont have room for a CSP bar, and dont know if it will do the job.
I use 40x20mm bar with brackets in the bumper bracket. Brackets in picture only for mock-up

reg
c

Geez Cassa -- I couldn't afford your Braided stainless bill --Holy Moly that's a ton of lines

Fiat -- GONE
Ovalholio -- GONE
Ghia -- -- It's going

cassa

« Reply #87 on: June 27, 2011, 10:23:20 am »

Geez Cassa -- I couldn't afford your Braided stainless bill --Holy Moly that's a ton of lines
[/quote]

Grin  A 3 stage drysump pump and mechanical Aeromotive fuelpump will do that to you...  Grin

And there is still a couple of lines missing..
65bug

« Reply #88 on: July 03, 2011, 23:32:34 pm »

Hey guys,
  Happy 4TH to all you guys. I got to work on my car some today and snapped some pics of the traction bar bracket bolts. Here's some pics lying on my back shooting upwards.
65bug

« Reply #89 on: July 19, 2011, 13:41:42 pm »

traction bar works awesome!!!!!! What a difference it has made. So far so good...............................
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: