The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 11:46:08 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350645 Posts in 28563 Topics by 6811 Members
Latest Member: Bren
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  DKP ROAD TRIP TO FEATHERLY PARK
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Print
Author Topic: DKP ROAD TRIP TO FEATHERLY PARK  (Read 37739 times)
johnl

« Reply #30 on: October 31, 2011, 04:37:22 am »

Incredible photos, John. Thanks for taking the time to share them. By the way, the Porsche in the background appears to be a Convertible D to my eye, didn't one of the guys from FAT have one?

Hi Zach,  Glad you are enjoying the photos and who else could I share them with but this crowd.   Wink Wink Wink  Greg Aronson did build a 356 with a big 411 motor and air conditioning, but that was years later.  He always had the ability to create really nice rides.

Volkswagens Limited, Der Kleiner Panzers Founder Member
Celebrating 60 years of Volkswagens in my life 1963-2023

Life is a learning experience and then you die but when you do you've lived a good life if you contributed to your fellow man.
Lids

show me the chedder

« Reply #31 on: October 31, 2011, 07:07:00 am »

awesome, you should write your own dkp book Smiley

If there's enough horse shit around, there must be a pony!
Buy your ciderberry here.

http://www.thatcherscider.co.uk/
LuftsickTero

« Reply #32 on: October 31, 2011, 09:15:22 am »

X2. Thanks for sharing John, it would be great to see them in print  Smiley

| Cal&Resto | Publishing own mediocre Cal Look photos since 1995 in interwebs.
banditina

« Reply #33 on: October 31, 2011, 11:38:50 am »

Incredible photos, John!!
Thanks for all!!!

johnl

« Reply #34 on: October 31, 2011, 17:36:56 pm »

X2. Thanks for sharing John, it would be great to see them in print  Smiley

I doubt there is really enough material for a "book".  Beyond that who would buy it except for a few?  In a way I guess I'm writing the book now and sharing it with all, so if you want a "hard copy" print the stories and photos  out and you will have your own DKP book.   Grin Grin

Life is a learning experience and then you die but when you do you've lived a good life if you contributed to your fellow man.
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #35 on: October 31, 2011, 17:42:16 pm »

Incredible photos, John. Thanks for taking the time to share them. By the way, the Porsche in the background appears to be a Convertible D to my eye, didn't one of the guys from FAT have one?

Hi Zach,  Glad you are enjoying the photos and who else could I share them with but this crowd.   Wink Wink Wink  Greg Aronson did build a 356 with a big 411 motor and air conditioning, but that was years later.  He always had the ability to create really nice rides.
this one Huh

http://speedwell55.skynetblogs.be/
oldspeed 61 standard empi/speedwell
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #36 on: October 31, 2011, 17:43:56 pm »

thx for sharing those awesome pictures john , you've made some happy guys here  Wink

fabs

johnl

« Reply #37 on: October 31, 2011, 17:54:45 pm »

thx for sharing those awesome pictures john , you've made some happy guys here  Wink

fabs

So, does that indicate I've made some "unhappy" by sharing these??    Wink Wink Wink Wink

Fritter

« Reply #38 on: October 31, 2011, 18:19:29 pm »

Great pics, thanks for sharing John.  The cars of course are very cool.  But another aspect I like is the people.  Seeing longer hair, lots of facial hair, and bell bottoms really gives the feel to the pictures of the time period. 

Mike F.
'64 Indigo Blue sunroof Bug
Rick Meredith
DKK

We can't force ya to have fun

« Reply #39 on: October 31, 2011, 19:12:12 pm »

Great stuff as always John!

67 Beetle - The Deuce Roadster of Cal Look
mgmahaffey

« Reply #40 on: October 31, 2011, 19:12:55 pm »

Wild and crazy days. Man, did we have fun back then. Actually still having fun but a little more subdued. Wink
Love that picture with Lightnin' Bolt.
John, you have more picture of my car than I do! I wasn't into taking pictures then. I just wanted to go fast.
Jon
Administrator

12,3@174km/t at Gardermoen 2008

« Reply #41 on: October 31, 2011, 20:42:01 pm »

Many thanks for these great photos John!

Grumpy old men have signatures like this.
Sarge

« Reply #42 on: October 31, 2011, 21:15:40 pm »

Once again.... NICE PICTURES!!!  I have my own pictures that I've shared here from that event.  It's really cool to see some different shots.  Wild & crazy days indeed!  Zach hit it on the head with Greg Aronson's Porsche... the first was  a white (Fabs pic) "real" Porsche, the second was a glass kit car with the large Type IV motor.  It was light blue with a camel colored top.... bitchin' car that hauled ass!

DKP III
Nostalgiavw67

« Reply #43 on: October 31, 2011, 21:40:30 pm »

It's soooooooo good for us (I mean european boys) to be able to have a look at all your pics John!
Thank you for sharing!
johnl

« Reply #44 on: October 31, 2011, 21:47:39 pm »

It's soooooooo good for us (I mean european boys) to be able to have a look at all your pics John!
Thank you for sharing!

Now I'm getting curious as to what the park looks like today.  Maybe this weekend I'll take the VW and drive out there and shoot some photos.  It might be cool if I could park in the same place and try to duplicate some of the shots some 39 years later.  If that happens I'll share the photos.

Come to America and you can see all of these places with your own two eyes and you might even meet a couple of us.   Wink Wink Wink Wink

Sarge says you can stay with him for as long as you want and he has left over Peanut Butter from the Stan Davis days so you won't go hungry....    Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked    Grin Grin Grin Grin

TexasTom

12.58@106, 7.89@89 Texas Motorplex 10/18/09

« Reply #45 on: October 31, 2011, 23:47:42 pm »

Roadtrip to Sarge's house! LOL!!!

mmmmm ... peanut butter.
What kind of wine goes with peanut butter? I'll bring him a bottle!  Wink

Work, work, WORK!

Modesty accepted here ...
Rick Meredith
DKK

We can't force ya to have fun

« Reply #46 on: November 01, 2011, 00:27:44 am »

Roadtrip to Sarge's house! LOL!!!

mmmmm ... peanut butter.
What kind of wine goes with peanut butter? I'll bring him a bottle!  Wink

Chateau Skippy of course  Grin

67 Beetle - The Deuce Roadster of Cal Look
OgCalLook

Straight outa Riverside!

« Reply #47 on: November 01, 2011, 00:45:25 am »

Thank you for sharing!

Now I'm getting curious as to what the park looks like today.  Maybe this weekend I'll take the VW and drive out there and shoot some photos.  It might be cool if I could park in the same place and try to duplicate some of the shots some 39 years later.  If that happens I'll share the photos.

Heres a Featherly park pic from 2009, Can't see the 91 anymore, feels secluded, still a cool place to hang out.

Thanks for the pics John, I grew up in Riverside and always looked up to you Cats in Orange County

Tom Hewitson
Bahama Blau Kafer

Zach Gomulka: "California Look is walking softly and carrying a big fucking stick."
johnl

« Reply #48 on: November 01, 2011, 02:18:15 am »

Thank you for sharing!

Heres a Featherly park pic from 2009, Can't see the 91 anymore, feels secluded, still a cool place to hang out.

Thanks for the pics John, I grew up in Riverside and always looked up to you Cats in Orange County

Thanks for the photo.  The place sure looks like it has changed with the full trees that were young saplings when we were there.  I still think I'll go just to see it for myself and want to try and find the exact location all of my photos were taken.

Riverside was a cool place too as I seem to remember a company called EMPI that came from there.  Butternut was purchased at Econo Motors, so that is kind of a link.  Regarding the OC it was the best and although it has changed considerably still a great place to be.

GASBNR

« Reply #49 on: November 01, 2011, 07:58:49 am »

this is great, thanks
keep em coming.

SUPPORTING CAL-LOOK DOWN UNDER
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #50 on: November 01, 2011, 15:51:45 pm »

Greg Aronson's Porsche... the first was  a white (Fabs pic) "real" Porsche, the second was a glass kit car with the large Type IV motor.  It was light blue with a camel colored top.... bitchin' car that hauled ass!
here's the other one from greg  Wink

Speed-Randy

« Reply #51 on: November 01, 2011, 23:38:17 pm »

I'm just looking at these and thinking, LOOK AT ALL THOSE REAL BRM's!!!!!!!!!!!! Holy crap there's a lot of um Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

xavier

« Reply #52 on: November 01, 2011, 23:48:49 pm »

Rick Winter's red '64.  Note the Aronson like rear deck lid.

Maybe I should not bother restoring those old EMPI wheels Tongue Tongue
Rennsurfer

D.B.O. Not a club; a state of mind.

« Reply #53 on: November 02, 2011, 04:15:11 am »

WANT.

"You can only scramble an egg so many ways."
~Sarge
So.Cal.Life

« Reply #54 on: November 02, 2011, 11:04:26 am »

Yes that's Greg's" real Porsche" 59 cabriolet with a "real motor" Grin a VW type1, 78x88, 40x35.5, w110engle, at first w48webers, later w42webers, for +fuel economy-less sound-more comfort etc.  This VW-Porsche hybrid was factually the (first VW engine) with dual mufflers, the intention was to make it quiet and still use the exhaust outlets through the bumper overiders on the Porsche.  A" funny thing "happened when we dynoed the motor,,,  Huh  it made to much horsepower!!! I was building my 84x90.5, 42x37.5 w125engle 1.5/8merged motor at the same time so,,, if Gregs 1900cc made approx. 14hp more then it should, then mine should make more then we thought it should,,,and it did!!! Grin a freaking 19hp more!!! and the dual muffler trend was born  Smiley .      John and Fabs ,  thanks for the pics,  Great thread John.           KG
So.Cal.Life

« Reply #55 on: November 02, 2011, 11:25:06 am »

Hey John, that's a good shot of Thurber's dash, I have been trying to obtain some and still think I can, but family issues with the people are making it tough.   There is something that appears to be hanging under the passenger side of Thurber's dash,,, its an 8track tape, he had his player mounted at an angle , in a hidden fashion, well it would have been hidden if he( DIDNT LEAVE A TAPE IN)!!!!!    Grin Grin Grin        KG
Rennsurfer

D.B.O. Not a club; a state of mind.

« Reply #56 on: November 02, 2011, 14:22:26 pm »

Yes that's Greg's" real Porsche" 59 cabriolet with a "real motor" Grin a VW type1, 78x88, 40x35.5, w110engle, at first w48webers, later w42webers, for +fuel economy-less sound-more comfort etc.  This VW-Porsche hybrid was factually the (first VW engine) with dual mufflers, the intention was to make it quiet and still use the exhaust outlets through the bumper overiders on the Porsche.  A" funny thing "happened when we dynoed the motor,,,  Huh  it made to much horsepower!!! I was building my 84x90.5, 42x37.5 w125engle 1.5/8merged motor at the same time so,,, if Gregs 1900cc made approx. 14hp more then it should, then mine should make more then we thought it should,,,and it did!!! Grin a freaking 19hp more!!! and the dual muffler trend was born  Smiley .      John and Fabs ,  thanks for the pics,  Great thread John.           KG

VERY COOL! Thanks for the details, Keith... such a great car. Really dig it more, knowing about using the factory exhaust outlets. PERFECT.

"You can only scramble an egg so many ways."
~Sarge
johnl

« Reply #57 on: November 02, 2011, 16:26:56 pm »

Hey John, that's a good shot of Thurber's dash, I have been trying to obtain some and still think I can, but family issues with the people are making it tough.   There is something that appears to be hanging under the passenger side of Thurber's dash,,, its an 8track tape, he had his player mounted at an angle , in a hidden fashion, well it would have been hidden if he( DIDNT LEAVE A TAPE IN)!!!!!    Grin Grin Grin        KG
Keith, I'm happy I was able to assist you with the photo.  In looking at the shot today I personally don't care for it because of a couple of reasons.  (1) There is no glove box.  (2) The mounting screws are clearly visible and it looks like a complete add on.  Remembering Aronson's plexy dash I recall he used pop rivets to attach and I think he had a glove box door. 

When I did mine which was done in three separate panels I attached studs to the back side of each panel, drilled the holes in the original dash with a bit of clearance room for alignment purposes and then had Brad cover then with the same to materials that were used throughout the car's interior.  The main area was a material that looked like felt and then bordered with a small maybe 1/4" edge done in the brown vinyl.  The radio-8 track player along with the control for the front air shocks was mounted in the glove box, but I still had a bit of room for other things.  I removed the ignition switch and only had a "start" button in the center where the ash tray once was.  Because the car ran on a Joe Hunt magnito with the 78.4x88 motor I had a hidden kill switch under the dash very close to the steering column.

I feel I achieved my goal in making it not look so "bolt on" and I still think all of these years later it was a cleaner look.  I'm sure some would not agree and that is okay by me as each has to do what works for them.  Unfortunately for me and I guess everyone else I only have a couple of photos of all this in my recently discovered slides.

Nostalgiavw67

« Reply #58 on: November 02, 2011, 21:28:14 pm »

Come to America and you can see all of these places with your own two eyes and you might even meet a couple of us.   Wink Wink Wink Wink

To see thoses places and meet some of you is something about dreams for us!
That would be so nice.... I really hope to be able to make it one day!

Thanks for your kind answer Wink
Nico86

Turnip engine.

« Reply #59 on: November 03, 2011, 17:29:33 pm »

Once again, thanks for all the pictures John!  Smiley

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: